PDA

View Full Version : ACK!! Splits everywhere!

countryhopper
September 14th, 2010, 08:30 PM
So my hair USED to be split free...

Now I've started to notice more splits lately. There have been a few new things I've done lately that I suspect could be the culprits:

I've used Curlformers about once a week for the past few weeks (give or take). The hook has a seam on it.

I also just got a new boar bristle/nylon brush. I LOVE it for smoothing, and I try to detangle first before using it, but I don't always.

I'm S&Ding as much as I can. I trimmed off about 1/4 inch off the total length about a week or two ago to try to head off the splits before they begin. I don't want to loose more length, would using cones work? maybe it would help strengthen my fine hair...

Any suggestions?? I've been wearing my hair up everyday. My hair is about 2 inches from BSL.

pepperminttea
September 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I keep my boar bristle brush just for smoothing updos, not for the length. I know it's designed to distribute oils, but when I run it down the length, it tangles a lot. I'd imagine that doing it on already tangled hair probably wouldn't end well, especially with fine hair.

As for cones - have they worked for you in the past? While I don't use them, a lot of people do; they're not evil monsters lurking in bathrooms, it really just depends on your hair. :) If they work for you, go for it.

BlueMuse
September 15th, 2010, 01:03 AM
My hair tangles a lot easier without cones and the splits become much more evident. So, it's possible that cones could help. They did for me, but I'm not the same hair type, so there's really no telling. I'm liking the Suave Professionals Sleek formula. And it's only a couple bucks a bottle at my King Soopers.

swivelhop
September 15th, 2010, 03:06 AM
It is that time of year most places where both the indoor and outdoor weather is changing. A new routine could be needed.
Ask yourself if you get more splits the more you S&D? Always suspect the scissors. My hair kills scissors fast they need to be sharpened often.

countryhopper
September 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
It is that time of year most places where both the indoor and outdoor weather is changing. A new routine could be needed.
Ask yourself if you get more splits the more you S&D? Always suspect the scissors. My hair kills scissors fast they need to be sharpened often.

I didn't think about the weather... maybe I need to moisturize more?

My scissors are new, and have only been used on hair. But maybe the quality isn't good enough. I should take a trip out to Sally's!

Qwackie
September 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, you should get some nice scissors. I used my mom's sewing scissors and it just took away length and gave me more splits. I'm using a binding conditioner, and it's helping, so if you can't get any better scissors any time soon I'd use V05 split ends conditioner. It usually works for me.