PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil has saved my hair! AMAZING

gotzbrainz
September 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I used to struggle with brittle dull hair lots of split end and beads. the dreaded beads i hate them!!! i bought some unrefined coconut oil from my local health food store and started using a finger nail amount on my damp hair after shampoo and conditioning with suave. i used to have to blow dry my hair to get the frizz gone and have pretty hair. after this very light oiling and my hair drys, my hair drinks up the oil* it looks like i have blow dried and no frizz, less breakage and my hair feels sooooo freakin healthy. i am in love with coconut oil:crush::heartbeat i started out fresh with a session of s&d. OMG my hair has never ever felt healthier.

SpinDance
September 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Glad to hear someone else is having such good luck with oils. :) I use several now, depending on what my hair seems to need. For me coconut does best as a deep treatment before washing, probably because of my own 'portion control' when applying wet. lol Oils are amazing!

Dragon
September 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Glad you have foung something that works. I'm also in love with coconut oil.

Octave
September 14th, 2010, 03:18 PM
That's wonderful to hear! I use coconut oil before I go to bed when I know I'm going to wash my hair in the morning. Haven't tried it on wet hair yet, so might give it a go tomorrow. :)

CourtneyBee
September 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Girl, just wait until you have a deep soak!

I thoroughly saturate my hair and scalp and leave it to soak for 3-4 hours before a wash once a week and then apply my conditioner to the ends and let it clear away the excess oil, shampoo on the roots and my dry crunchy over-processed hair feels like silk!

Chestershire
September 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
that's great you've found something that works for you! I'm still figuring out my routine. Oils make my hair too greasy, so that doesn't work for me.
Good luck on getting your hair healthier! :3

DarkChocolate
September 14th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Coconut oil works wonders on my hair too:)

Spring
September 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
:crush:Me loves coconut oil too :p

Shufro
September 14th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yea its really making the hair softer and more glossy i love it

PrincessBob
September 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM
It has been beneficial, but I'm not convinced it does for my hair what it does for you all. I don't think it feels more moisturific, and when I do a heavier oiling as a pre-wash I cannot get it to rinse out very well and it is greasy/sticky thereafter and leaves major buildup on my hair and combs and attracts dirt (like actual dirt) like nobody's business. I sometimes smooth a few drps over my palms and fingers and swipe it down my length. For a heavier oiling I use a few drips for each bunch of hair (taking sections 4 inches wide or so), heavily oiled hair detangles easily, but looks awful. What am I doing wrong?

julia941
September 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I love coconut oil, too. It has been wonderful for my hair. I like to smooth it on before bed, oil my hair with it before washing, and apply a little bit through my wet ends while it dries. I am very happy with it. I am new to oiling and this is the only one I've tried.

Princess Bob - the only thing that stands out is you wrote "drips" - usually coconut oil is solid at room temperature. Maybe you are using a different kind?

Hylia
September 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Girl, just wait until you have a deep soak!

I thoroughly saturate my hair and scalp and leave it to soak for 3-4 hours before a wash once a week and then apply my conditioner to the ends and let it clear away the excess oil, shampoo on the roots and my dry crunchy over-processed hair feels like silk!

I think im going to try this!

Lisa R
September 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I find it great also! I also like to use olive oil. I have ordered some JoJoba oil and can't wait to use that for oiling my hair.

eezepeeze
September 14th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I LOVE coconut oil. I just bought my second jar. I went through the first one so much quicker than I expected because my hair just drinks it up.

Kome
September 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I put it on my dry hair for the first time tonight and braided it. It feels amazing and I haven't even taken it down yet. We'll see how it looks and feels in the morning. I can't wait. :)

PrincessBob
September 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I warm my tiny jar under the tap while I shower to melt it.

katha
September 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I warm my tiny jar under the tap while I shower to melt it.

I find it easier to use it while its solid.
In summer the room where I keep it is too hot and it melts and I'm simply unable to take the right amount of oil then. I've no idea why, it all looks so little and unsignificant I guess. Maybe using it solid would work better for you, too?

HintOfMint
September 14th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I adore coconut oil as well. It's funny because my mother and my grandmother and I'm sure the other previous generations of women in my family, used coconut oil as a deep oiling before a wash, and I finally realize that coconut oil is the best thing for my hair. After years of using store bought styling products, and then trying jojoba oil and then olive oil, it turns out that my hair loves coconut oil the best. Though, unlike my mother and grandmother, I use it as a leave in.

RadiantNeedle
September 15th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I'm loving the coconut oil. I don't need to warm it up at all and I can see how warming it would lead you to using too much. I use about.. two peanut sized amounts to do a heavy oiling, then braid it and leave it in overnight before my next wash.
For wet or dry oiling as a way of giving your hair some softness and control and reduced frizz, you really don't need very much at all; between half a pea to maybe two pea sized amounts depending on how long/hungry your hair is.

starlights
September 15th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Coconut oil is the best!!!!

aenflex
September 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I get this stuff called Coconut Cream from a website that sells ingredients. It's organic and unrefined, so they say, made from the meat of of the coconut. In the past I experimented with Coconut Oil, and my hair didn't react well to it at all. I never got it again in years. Then a few months back I got a sample of this Coconut Cream with my order, and it was different to me. It actually smells exactly like a coconut, it tastes like one, it has the same harden and melt properties at the Coconut Oil I remember, but it never gets as hard as the Oil, it just seems different. The consistency is much more like real coconut innards, and I seem to remember the Oil being like Shea butter almost, or Mango butter, not so wet?
Are there just two names for the same thing?

oh yes and it works wonders for my hair!!

liagibba
September 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I love what coconut oil has done for me as well. My hair doesn't behave if I don't blow it dry, so I have to keep doing that, but the coconut oil and CO-washing has really helped not have to cut my hair and to keep on growing!

Joliebaby
September 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I do deep treatments, damp oiling and dry oiling on the ends.. I love coconut oil and shea butter and lately wheat germ oil for DT (not a leave in because it stinks)

elina333
September 15th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I know, isnt it amazing?? I've been in love with coconut oil since january, when I joined here. LOVE IT! Best thing I have EVER tried. And I've tried a lot over the years ;)

curlsgalore
September 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I get this stuff called Coconut Cream from a website that sells ingredients. It's organic and unrefined, so they say, made from the meat of of the coconut. In the past I experimented with Coconut Oil, and my hair didn't react well to it at all. I never got it again in years. Then a few months back I got a sample of this Coconut Cream with my order, and it was different to me. It actually smells exactly like a coconut, it tastes like one, it has the same harden and melt properties at the Coconut Oil I remember, but it never gets as hard as the Oil, it just seems different. The consistency is much more like real coconut innards, and I seem to remember the Oil being like Shea butter almost, or Mango butter, not so wet?
Are there just two names for the same thing?

oh yes and it works wonders for my hair!!

Where do they sell this? What are the ingredients? Thanks.

gotzbrainz
September 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
PRINCESS BOB :) are you sure that you are using 100 % pure organic coconut oil? its cold pressed and unrefined, solid white at room temp? check the ingredients and make sure there are no added ingredients or petrolium that would be an oil disaster. also what i do to make sure im not over oiling and can wear non_greasy hair is instead of melting all the oil i just get it from its solid state. i dip my finger in the jar and literaly scrape a finger nail amount i have apl hair so thats all i use. i rub it to melt it in my hands and then put it through my length and brush. thats it. id rather use less then to much because i can control my hair from getting greasy or stringy with it. try that i hope you get the results your looking for. also as a leave in try jojoba oil. maybe its just that your hair likes something else. GOOD LUCK

aenflex
September 15th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Heya Curlsgalore - I get a lot of my stash from GardenofWisdom.com. Some of thier stuff is questionable in terms of quality, but I have been very pleased with them overall and have been ordering from them for years. Under the Carrier Oils section you won't see Coconut Oil, you will see Coconut Cream. This is from their site:
Botanical Name: Cocos nucifera

Origin: USA

Extraction Method: Cold Pressed / Certified Organic / Virgin

Color: thick white, not oil consistency but creamy

Derived From: fresh coconut flesh

Contains: relatively high in linolenic acid 40%

Base Oil: can be used up to 100% strength

* I say questionable because they have to repackage a lot of things, and I don't think everything is fair trade. But I honestly swear by everything I have ever purchased from them. They clearly mark what is Vegan and what isn't, and I like that too.

Crazycatlady
September 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
It has been beneficial, but I'm not convinced it does for my hair what it does for you all. I don't think it feels more moisturific, and when I do a heavier oiling as a pre-wash I cannot get it to rinse out very well and it is greasy/sticky thereafter and leaves major buildup on my hair and combs and attracts dirt (like actual dirt) like nobody's business. I sometimes smooth a few drps over my palms and fingers and swipe it down my length. For a heavier oiling I use a few drips for each bunch of hair (taking sections 4 inches wide or so), heavily oiled hair detangles easily, but looks awful. What am I doing wrong?
PrincessBob, I've only used Vo5 strawberry and Tresemme Naturals conditioners applied to my dry hair to remove coconut oil. I only do heavy, pre-wash oilings on my fine hair and this always removes the oil. I slather on the Vo5 to my oil covered hair, let it stay on about 30 min., jump in the shower and use warm water to rinse, and then apply lots of Tresemme Naturals and do a CO wash.

Somewhere here I read that conditioner removes all oils better than shampoo, so that's what I've been using since I joined here in Jan. this year. I'm scared to try anything else. :confused:

I couldn't believe it even removes castor oil...full strength and globbed on! ;)

Hope this helps!

Fiordiligi
September 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I love it too! I've recently started putting a tiny bit on the tassel of my plait before I go to bed - it does look a bit oily, but by the morning you wouldn't know I had done it. It's really easy to do, and because my ends are now in better shape it's stopping me obsessing about getting it trimmed all the time. I must resist till Christmas! And if I do put too much on, it doesn't really matter as I'm wearing it up every day at the mo and the ends are hidden.

Qwackie
September 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I really need some coconut oil. I get tons of splits in my fringe (which is also the only part I trim...), so I'm gonna see if sometime this weekend I can get my mom to drive me to some health food place and get some.

Yasmine91
September 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Sounds great girl! Can I just ask you about coconut oil? I've seen it in the shops and it appeared as a very thick oil, like, really really creamy! is it in that form?

christine1989
September 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Its great to hear that your hair has had such a big turn for the better! :) I will have to try putting some in while wet- I usually do mine when my hair is dry.

ktani
September 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
that's great you've found something that works for you! I'm still figuring out my routine. Oils make my hair too greasy, so that doesn't work for me.

You can still get the benefits of coconut oil by using it as a prewash (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf) treatment. Camellia oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=456) is a good light oil to use after shampooing and has been reported here to help smooth the hair without a greasy feel.

SpinDance
September 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Sounds great girl! Can I just ask you about coconut oil? I've seen it in the shops and it appeared as a very thick oil, like, really really creamy! is it in that form?

It liquefies at body temperature, Yasmine91, so the consistency depends on temperature.

brunetka
September 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM

It can be thick or even solid in the jar/bottle, depending on the room temperature. On very warm summer days my jar of it is completely liquid and in the winter, completely solid. Either way, it will melt immediately in your hands and is very easy to apply. :)

bigred199
September 15th, 2010, 01:32 PM
My hair loves coconut oil as well -- and I love the smell. Yummy! it makes me crave pina coladas every morning. :)

HikerTrash
September 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I like coconut oil, too, but I have to get the amount just right. It's too easy to put too much. If I do, I just braid it. It's great to put a lot in and then braid it. It makes my braid really smooth.

I haven't tried putting on a whole bunch as a pre-treatment. I'll have to try that someday.

I have also started using it on my skin. I LOVE it on my skin. I have really dry skin. It soaks in and leaves my skin very nice.

I just wish there was an easier way to store it. I keep it in the fridge (I have a huge jar of it) but then it gets really hard. So I chip off a chunk and keep that in a small container in my bathroom. But chipping off the chunk is also hard.

curlsgalore
September 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I think my hair likes it better when it's dry. I put some on wet hair before adding my gel and it felt kind of funny. I definitely have better results on dry hair or to "scrunch out the crunch" from the gel or using it as a treatment. I love the scent!

RitaPG
September 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I'm a coconut oil lover too :heartbeat
And the smell is amazing!

Atira
September 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Have never used oil. Will have to try!

Henrietta
September 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
It's so good to read such a positive post!:) It's great that coconut oil works for you so well;) It's always amazing- to hear/read that someone's hair has been saved though things seemed hopeless. (I don't mean that your case was hopeless. It refers to general situation;) )

gotzbrainz
September 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
i really do feel that this oil has saved my hair. its crazy! ive been to hair school and never learned about oiling. you would assume this is something people would talk about it a school only for hair. not untill i came across this site and you tube did i find that there are people out about that seem to be much much more in tune* with hair, um sorta on a deeper more personal level. my hair needed to be saved. i cant get past apl becasue of the dry damaged hair i have in the ends. with coconut oil i feel like its going to be moisturized enough to grow on now, and its been more a miracle for me because in order to feel pretty and comfortable with my hair i always blow dried it. now with hair damp and an oiling i can wear my hair in its natural state but it looks like its been blown out. IM VERY PLEASED. haha my boyfriend thinks im wierd putting oil in my hair

Tabula Rasa
September 16th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'd love to try it! Can you find it at Sally's or CVS? I'm using Redken's All Soft conditioner with avocado oil and I think my hair is liking it...maybe it'll like coconut too!

aenflex
September 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Try the healthfood store. I don't think you can find quality coconut oil in CVS or the like. I could be wrong, though, but I don't recall seeing pure coconut at any drugstore?

curlsgalore
September 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Try the healthfood store. I don't think you can find quality coconut oil in CVS or the like. I could be wrong, though, but I don't recall seeing pure coconut at any drugstore?

I agree. If you do find coconut oil in a drugstore, it's usually not a "pure" coconut oil. Check the ingredients to make sure you are just getting coconut oil.

Intransigentia
September 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I found mine in the so-called "ethnic foods" aisle of my grocery store*. It's not uberriffic organic unrefined harvested under a full moon by vestal virgins stuff, but it seems to do the job. It's also nice on cracked heels and other dry skin. Plus it's lovely for cooking with (I sometimes use it in place of butter or margarine, or fry things in it).

Intransigentia
September 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM
whoops, the * was for a note that I think calling stuff "ethnic foods" is kindof dumb, because really, all ethnicities have food traditions and why is garam masala ethnic but pancake syrup isn't. ok rant over.

archionblu
September 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Is it possible that you're just using too much of it? I only recently started using oils and still struggle with portions. It seems to be getting easier with time to judge, usually it's a very, very tiny amount. :)

archionblu
September 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I like coconut oil, too, but I have to get the amount just right. It's too easy to put too much. If I do, I just braid it. It's great to put a lot in and then braid it. It makes my braid really smooth.

I haven't tried putting on a whole bunch as a pre-treatment. I'll have to try that someday.

I have also started using it on my skin. I LOVE it on my skin. I have really dry skin. It soaks in and leaves my skin very nice.

I just wish there was an easier way to store it. I keep it in the fridge (I have a huge jar of it) but then it gets really hard. So I chip off a chunk and keep that in a small container in my bathroom. But chipping off the chunk is also hard.
Wow, really? I heard that coconut oil really clogs your pores though. Have you had any trouble with that at all? Or does it not do that for you? I kinda wanna try it, because it smells so good, but I have acne problems as it is...

curlsgalore
September 16th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I posted this in another thread as well, but I love this (http://darcysbotanicals.com/natural-hair-collection/hair-oils/organic-coconut-and-hibiscus-conditioning-oil.html). It has a light scent that is lovely. I use it to seal my ends after washing and before I put anything else in my hair. Never leaves my hair feeling greasy or weighed down. My hair likes it better than regular coconut oil on wet hair. I will reserve my coconut oil for deep treatments and such. Anyone else try this? Looks like she's out at the moment though. It has all my favorite oils in it...coconut, jojoba and camellia..yum!

Carolyn
September 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I love it for heavy over night oilings followed by a long CO soak in the morning. I also use a very tiny bit on my braid tassel. I wish they sold it in jars about 1/4 the size of the big honking jar most grocery stores sell. Yeah I know it keeps but I'd prefer buying in smaller amounts.

SpinDance
September 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Wow, really? I heard that coconut oil really clogs your pores though. Have you had any trouble with that at all? Or does it not do that for you? I kinda wanna try it, because it smells so good, but I have acne problems as it is...

Odd though it sounds, I've been using oils, either Shea butter or coconut oil, instead of soap on my face for months now to clean it. Oil, warm water, wipe off. I've had much less problem with my skin since I've been doing this. Of course I'm over several "hills" (not so young as I once was), so that may be a factor.