PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity

Nevada Rose
September 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for taming static electricity? With winter on its way, I don't look forward to clinging hair. For instance, if I ride in the truck, the seat causes my hair to go static. Walking on the rugs causes it also. Last year I read that some people tame it with the use of dryer sheets gently rubbed through the hair. This might have worked for them, but it didn't phase my hair in the least. :rolleyes:

aenflex
September 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Old Skool - run a dryer sheet over your hair a couple swipes. It works and smells great but many people who avoid chemicals/dryersheets/fragrances may be averse to this. I don't mind a swipe or two of Snuggle, and it really works a charm!!
Otherwise maybe some very dry type of oil. Camellia perhaps?

triumphator!
September 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM
A very very very thin layer of lotion or aloe gel helps me. I lightly cover my hands and then rub over the top and bottom layers of my hair.

Igor
September 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
After I stopped using shampoo and CO/WO washed instead my static-problems stopped completely, Yes, I’m serious

bumblebums
September 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
What do you wash your hair with? I ask because I had a static problem when I first switched from shampoo/conditioner to the BS/ACV no 'poo method. It was horrible. No amount of oiling helped. Now that I use Indian herbs, it's no longer a problem. But as I was researching the culprit of my original static problem, I concluded that it must have been giving up 'cones. Silicone derivatives seem to act as an anti-static agent of sorts, especially dimethicone. So if you have trouble with too much static and your hair likes 'cones, maybe leave some coney conditioner on the ends?

In2wishin
September 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM
My conditioner takes care of it for me but I had to do something about the static in my cats' fur. What I did was take a small bit of conditioner and dilute it with water, then put some on my hands and rub it on their fur.....basically pet them ;) It is one "treatment" I do that they actually love.

You could probably do something similar with your hair....like a leave in

AstrayStar
September 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
humidifier! :)

Chiara
September 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I find my hair gets really static if it is lacking in moisture, as others have mentioned. For instance, I have no problems with static after an SMT! So trying to find a less drying wash routine (or washing less) and using oils on damp hair to trap moisture could help.

Nevada Rose
September 15th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I find my hair gets really static if it is lacking in moisture, as others have mentioned. For instance, I have no problems with static after an SMT! So trying to find a less drying wash routine (or washing less) and using oils on damp hair to trap moisture could help.

This makes a lot sense also, thanks.

I thank you all for helping me with this problem. You have given me something to work with. It's trial and error with me......,so if one thing doesn't work, I'll move on to another. Static seems to change the feeling of my hair and skin, I hate it. You have provided me with enough info to investigate.:eye:

UltraBella
September 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I live in a very dry climate and in the winter static is a huge problem for me. The only thing that fixes it for me is aloe vera gel as a leave in. Works miracles :) Good luck !!!

RachelRain
September 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I've always bought a can of Static Guard and sprayed my brush with it. Depending on how long your hair is you may need to spray it a couple times, but it works really well. I tend to stock up when I find it so I forget what aisle it's in at the stores...probably in with computer equipment or wiring.

banglaminerva
September 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I found the static went away after I started using a bone comb and a boar bristle brush. Since then, I've added COing and I get shocked at not having static anymore.

little_cherry
September 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I agree with CO. :)

RadiantNeedle
September 17th, 2010, 01:55 AM
My conditioner takes care of it for me but I had to do something about the static in my cats' fur. What I did was take a small bit of conditioner and dilute it with water, then put some on my hands and rub it on their fur.....basically pet them ;) It is one "treatment" I do that they actually love.

Eeek! Is that safe? They lick their fur! I can just picture a bunch of cats trying to clean themselves and then making a 'blegh!' face! xD

Nevada Rose
September 17th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I've always bought a can of Static Guard and sprayed my brush with it. Depending on how long your hair is you may need to spray it a couple times, but it works really well. I tend to stock up when I find it so I forget what aisle it's in at the stores...probably in with computer equipment or wiring.

Now thats an idea, never thought of it. I didn't like the feel of dryer sheets gently rubbed on my hair, and it didn't work anyway.....,I think I'll give the static guard a try.:)

tom
September 17th, 2010, 02:05 AM
hahahahahaha

tom
September 17th, 2010, 02:09 AM
hehehehehehehe

christine1989
September 17th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Almond or jojoba oil work for me. Strangely enough coconut dosen't do much to prevent it. It also helps if I damp bun my hair at night. Somehow it reduces frizz and leaves fewer stray hairs to be subject to static.

RachelRain
September 17th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Now thats an idea, never thought of it. I didn't like the feel of dryer sheets gently rubbed on my hair, and it didn't work anyway.....,I think I'll give the static guard a try.:)

If you do this, make sure you spray it from a few inches away. you don't wanna saturate your brush with it, just sort of coat the tips. I suppose it's much like using a can of spray paint, although I've never been very good with those :)

My mom actually came up with it, I've always taken showers at night and I never used to use leave in conditioner as a kid so I had super staticky hair. And she got tired of me sticking my hands under the faucet every ten minutes to try to control the static (don't ask why I never thought of conditioner, I still don't know), so she threw a can at me and told me to use it and to leave her faucet alone. It works pretty good unless you're wearing a turtleneck or a wool/yarn sweater.

Nevada Rose
September 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
If you do this, make sure you spray it from a few inches away. you don't wanna saturate your brush with it, just sort of coat the tips. I suppose it's much like using a can of spray paint, although I've never been very good with those :)

My mom actually came up with it, I've always taken showers at night and I never used to use leave in conditioner as a kid so I had super staticky hair. And she got tired of me sticking my hands under the faucet every ten minutes to try to control the static (don't ask why I never thought of conditioner, I still don't know), so she threw a can at me and told me to use it and to leave her faucet alone. It works pretty good unless you're wearing a turtleneck or a wool/yarn sweater.

I'll spray the brush and run. I hate aerosols, but I hate static worse. I use to hug the faucet as water was the only thing to temporarily control it.:patrol:

In2wishin
September 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Eeek! Is that safe? They lick their fur! I can just picture a bunch of cats trying to clean themselves and then making a 'blegh!' face! xD

It was my veterinarian who recommended it. She said that very little actually ends up on their fur....just enough to cut the static.

luxepiggy
September 19th, 2010, 05:21 AM

I do this too - although as I don't use a brush or comb, I actually spray it in the air as if it were EDT. Then I close my eyes, hold my breath & walk through the mist backwards (^(oo)^)

RitaPG
September 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I found out that a drop of coconut oil or leave in conditioner work wonders.
As some have mentioned before me, aloe vera gel works too:)