PDA

View Full Version : How to protect and heal at the same time?

joiekimochi
September 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ever since the end of the pageant, I've been unable to return my hair to its former condition thanks to the heat styling and teasing I had to put it through over the last 3 months. To top it off, I've returned to modeling full-time after being in semi-retirement for a year. I want to grow my hair back to TBL, but at the rate my hair is going, I think I might have to do a repeat of the BSL chop (I had TBL when I started modeling but the last 10 inches just disintegrated from overstyling).

Is there any natural, non-chemical way to protect my hair from heat styling when required? My ends feel coarse and a little like velcro and tangles easily now when it used to be sleek and smooth. I've been doing light oilings after washes with shea butter, and keeping my hair up as much as possible. I think I might have protein buildup. Any suggestions and advice?

heidihug
September 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Heat styling will always damage hair at least a little bit, no matter how you try to protect it. And, there is no way to heal hair, it's dead, and when it's damaaged, it's damaged. However, you can conceal damage by oiling, using 'cones, etc. To help with the feel of your ends, you might try clarifying often, using generous amounts of oils (and/or 'cones if they work for your hair) and wearing it up whenever you're not modeling. At least you can keep damage as minimal as possible that way.

Good luck!

aenflex
September 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
ITA - heat = damage.
I would actually recommend against using oils right before using a professional flat iron. If you are gonna do it, use something that helps evenly diffuse the heat, and that doesn't burn at a temperature comparable to the temp of your iron. Some of the oils we use in hair have a low flashpoint and with the professional irons, they usually run very hot. I have watched my dry, slightly oiled hair steam and fry at the hands of my Chi. Also stay away from any straightening products that contain alcohol.
I had to give up the irons when my hair went past my ears. My hair just does not tolerate heat at all.