PDA

View Full Version : Problems with updos?

anthonyswife
September 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Does anyone else here have trouble wearing updos? :(

I really want to protect my hair, but I have such a hard time with updos. Especially damp bunning! I tried today after washing and not only did I hear a multitude of snaps while trying to insert my hair fork (it happens with sticks too) but it also gave me a horrible headache. Even dry updos are difficult and never consistent- a figure-8 with a single stick can be really comfortable and secure one day but not work at all the next, and more often then not it hurts my scalp and I feel like I do more damage to my hair trying repeatedly to get an updo to work than if I just leave it down. =/ I wear a lot of braids but they get fuzzy in a matter of less than an hour and look terrible, so it's not usually a good option.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Gumball
September 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Damp bunning has a higher likelihood of giving people headaches simply because hair stretches out when it's wet. As it dries it shrinks back up, and if you have it snugly pulled back when whet, then it will be a little more than snug when it begins to shrink and dry. That will tug on your scalp and can make it get sore.

With updos that are problematic because they pull, etc., then it really boils down to finding a way to distribute the weight of it. That can be from a stick or a fork to other things like flexis or bobby pins.

If you hear snaps, the best way to use that technique more safely is simply to practice until you get it down. I use sticks, and if I have to put them in something I twist them as I go to help it inch its way through. Trial and error. Even the best of us sometimes have a bad day with a particular style!

estherbeth
September 13th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Ditto what Gumball said about twisting hairtoys. If I put a stick or fork in my hair, I always twist or wiggle as I put it in. I can not get one in comfortably by just trying to push it through. The twist helps to not break any (or many fewer) hairs. If you feel an uncomfortable pull at a hair as you're putting your hairstick/fork/pins/thingie in, back up a little and wiggle as you try again. :grin:

anthonyswife
September 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Interesting! I'll have to try twisting. I've always wiggled and gone really slow, and sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks Gumball & estherbeth

Gumball, that's interesting that the stretching causes headaches, I wouldn't have connected the two. I guess no more damp buns for me, headaches aren't worth it.

frizzinator
September 13th, 2010, 09:57 PM
It takes a lot of practice.

I think it is easier to learn when you have a wide variety of hair accessories to secure different kinds of buns.

JenniferNoel
September 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Practice, and patience.
Be cautious when inserting the hair toy, and definitely try the "twisting". I personally do a little bit of a threading/wiggling type motion with hair sticks and take my time making sure everything is snug. Definitely try learning a multitude of up-dos, and try them at different heights (nape, top of head, middle, etc) and find what's most comfortable for you. Certain up-dos can be done with different types of hair toys, and you may find some to be more comfortable than others.

Nenyath
September 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I know how you feel, I've been learning to put my hair up over the last few months as well.. One thing I found was really working is the ketylo hair sticks, they are super smooth and they already have this twist which inspires more twisting ;) Another thing I found helped with distributing weight was to bun a braid, they seem to be more snug and secure and to be less likely to pull.. Hope you'll figure something out!

Night_Kitten
September 14th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I try not to bun my hair while wet or damp, because it pulls more and can definitely give me a headace...
I noticed that with most buns after some practice I learn to do it, and get used to do it right without it starting to pull after a while, but there are some buns that I just can't do properly and they always end up pulling... For me there are also buns that are more prone to pulling than others, so maybe it's a question of finding the "right" bun for you?

frost pattern
September 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I second what was said previously - it's a matter of patience, practise and hair toys. For damp hair, I have a turban towel made of micro-cotton to keep it up as long as I don't have to leave the house. It's highly absobant and has a particular shape to fit. So I don't wear hairtoys often in damp hair, except for porcupine quills sometimes. I'm not sure they're suitable for your much longer hair. About hair toys - they make a big difference indeed. In the beginning, I purchased some France Luxe toys. They're very smooth and well made, no sharp edges. But inserting the combs I can hear my hair snap due to the rounded tips. More shape would be better. I don't wear them any longer. Porcupine quills always work for me, metal sticks and forks don't (they fall out), highly tapered wooden sticks and forks are better than straight, Grahtoe tools are just great and hold my updos a whole day although I had to learn how to make a bun for them (don't have Ketylos so far), there was uncomfortable pull because of their heavy tapering. You'll make it, just try different types of toys and practise!

spidermom
September 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I share your pain! I find that it's a lot harder to insert a stick or fork when my bun is tight, so I try to keep it on the loose side, which causes it to twist and sag, so I end up re-bunning multiple times per day. Every once in awhile I get the tension and placement just right and can leave my style in all day, but that's rare.

motormuffin
September 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
That's the first thing I do after I towel dry my hair...bun it. I keep a stash of ketylos for just this. They are smooth and go right through my wet hair. They have to be the dymondwood ones though. I tried using a regular wood stick and the wet made the wood wack out and grabby...making that snapping sound. I do the same bun all the time. I really should try something else but it just works. If I pull it too tight it will give me a headache but if I don't try too hard and just wing it up it's fine. Does it matter if you do a bun high or low, does one give you a headache more that the other?
This video was the closest I could find to show how I do my hair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3klSwId4Flw

Nicoliee
January 13th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Wearing my hair up usually gives me headaches. But I'm very sensitive. Just wearing a bobby pin can give me a headache.

Madora
January 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Managing updos is mostly a question of sectioning your hair then pinning it with hairpins.

For instance, you can part your hair from the top of your ear across to the top of the other ear. Comb out the hair, then divide in 2 sections. Twist one section over the other, all the way down, then take the twisted rope and coil it into a bun, and pin.

Take the remaining hair and twist one section over the other, all the way to the ends, then take it and coil it around the bun already in place.

You can also take the remaining hair and braid it instead, and bring it around the bun already made.