PDA

View Full Version : hair feeling coarse

joyxo
September 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I've been noticing more and more that large sections of hair have strands that feel really coarse and wiry.
If I hold up one of these strands individually, it goes from really thin to thick to thin. I have other sections of hair, like the bottom layer, that feel soft and have strands with the same thickness throughout. :confused:
Any idea on what's causing the coarseness? Suggestions? Anything would be useful at this point. I barely heat style and I use argan oil and the hairs are still awkward.

Thanks!

frizzinator
September 13th, 2010, 07:58 PM
When I was in my 30's, I noticed some hairs like you describe. Within 10 years, I had so many of these hairs that my hair looked frizzy. I believe these hairs are related to aging.

joyxo
September 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I'm only 16!

HintOfMint
September 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I've always had those, even in high school. Maybe they grow in and increase in number with age, but they're normal and not necessarily a sign of damage, heat caused or otherwise.

JenniferNoel
September 13th, 2010, 11:55 PM
It's most likely a natural thing versus damage, and many people get them at all different ages. I know they're annoying, but they're not going to hurt your hair.
Not to worry. :)

little_cherry
September 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I agree- there's nothing to worry about...I have more of these now than I did when I was a teenager...these are stronger than the rest of the hair. I use hemp seed oil, pure argan and castor oil on them.

christine1989
September 14th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have those too. Some of my hairs are thicker at the bottom for no apparent reason since I don't use heat and have no split ends. As long as your ends are healthy and not splitting I wouldn't worry too much about it. No one can tell by looking that your individual hairs have a weird texture.

alwayssmiling
September 14th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I was around your age when I noticed mine. Don't do what I did and pull them out! I use a bit of gel or pomade to get them to lie flat and deep conditioning helps them to look less frizzy. They rarely split or break which is a plus.

Night_Kitten
September 14th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I have several too, and had them atleast since highschool (that's when I noticed them). So far they haven't multiplied, and don't bother me much (except when I notice one and start wondering how it gets that thin-thick-thin-thick pattern while growing), so I just leave them alone and let them be...

bumblebums
September 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I don't have any so I can't add any insight. But I have seen these hairs called "head pubes" on this board :)

RadiantNeedle
September 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
That's a good description...
I have a bunch of these sorts of hairs here and there. They're always super dark brown.
And I can find bright red and white and blonde hairs... I'm quite mixed!

PrincessBob
September 14th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I have had these hairs since I was tiny, like seven years old or so.
I used to pull them out, but they are pretty much all over without being the majority of my hair, so I'd never get rid of them, plus it hurts so bad that it is far from worth it to have uniform-feeling strands. The thicker bits in the single strand are probably significantly created by diet and chemical balance of your body while that one section was growing, then something changed (possibly your sleep schedule, or your school or whatever).

As long as you don't end up with Menkes, or kinky hair syndrome, you will be fine.

aenflex
September 14th, 2010, 08:08 AM
OP - you just described my hair perfectly. My outter hair is very coarse and wiry, varying in thickness, not split ends anywhere. My hair underneath is soft and fine and silky almost all the time. It's always been that way for me, as long as I can remember.
The best thing I've done for it is use a satin sleep cap. and pay close attention to the roots during my scalp massages in hopes that the new hair emerging may be healthier.

Now that I can edit I will add that I use oils and such in my scalp massages, there are lots that are supposed to be great for skin, circulation, nourishment, etc. I think I've gotten mine to as good as it gets, and I will always swear by the sleep cap :)

Danaus plexippu
September 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
What you describe sounds like all of my hair. It's got a little wave to it, but wow is it coarse...almost like a very thin wire. Or, better, like fishing line and it does taper to the end. It's very tough, doesn't split or break easy, but it just doesn't get "soft." With oils and cones it can get slick and have a smooth feel but not really soft. I've found that razor cutting or heavy layers = frizz and flyaway. I like that it's so strong, but sometimes it would be nice to touch it and feel softness.