PDA

View Full Version : Sebum / Dandruff issue..

Gnomentum
September 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
A month or two back, having been -cone free for some time, I switched from Head and Shoulders (which seemed to mostly work well for me if I used it every 4 or 5 washes with CO inbetween) to my conditioner's partner shampoo which is SLS free. At around the same time I started going to the gym, I do WO every day or two to get rid of the sweat and this is always in my own house, with my regular shower and water supply.

I love how my hair feels but my scalp is having issues. I'm not sure whether it's sebum or dandruff or a combination of the two - if I scrape my scalp with my fingernails I get the white waxy stuff under my nails which suggests sebum, but if I scratch I get flakes, whether they are flakes of sebum or dandruff I'm not entirely sure. When I have had dandruff before (not infrequently!) the flakes have been far more obviously dandruff and didn't need much encouragement to detatch from my scalp.

I guess the questions are what IS it, and what should I DO about it? I could switch back to the head and shoulders but that seems a little counter intuitive.. or is this something everyone who goes SLS free has to deal with?

Incidentally, I'm not getting as much itch as I used to when I had dandruff issues before.

I'm currently starting to think I'll have to go back to the head and shoulders but it would feel like a huge step backwards so it's really a last resort.

aenflex
September 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I use EO's to combat my scalp issues, though not at all saying they are better than traditonal scalp-treating shampoos. I have found that mixing any carrier, I use Avocado, Almond, Grapeseed, with things like Tea Trea EO, Rosemary EO, Lavender EO, Carrott Seed EO seem to help me alot. I just use the smallest amount, applied to my sclalp via tiny parts in the my hair, and it clears me right up. I find I don't have to change my shampoos/conditioner in order to fix the problem.
Too much sebum can be helped by EO's with mild astringent properties, though the oppposite would seem true. At least that's been my experience. Good luck - flakes of either kind can be pain.

pepperminttea
September 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Does it hurt at all? Check your scalp with a hand mirror; if it looks a bit red and angry it might be worth seeing the doctor about it.

Gnomentum
September 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM
It's not sore, just itches - definitely not psoriasis or anything like that. I think I'm just overly sensitive to anything on my scalp.. I get dry patches around my eyes too, it might be related.

I'll give the EO's a try, just trying to work out which would smell best with my beloved manuka honey conditioner!