PDA

View Full Version : First cut in 7 years. Just a quick 17-inch trim

PLH
September 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Well I decided to go ahead and cut my hair off. Here are some pictures for you all.

The morning of the cut, hair washed and still damp:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7482/dscf7903small.jpg

I measured 36 or 37 inches from my front hairline, over the top, and down the back.

Then after some very thorough brushing and combing, I tied it back into a ponytail and just chewed through it with the scissors!

[image removed, not compliant with TOS]

I aimed to leave about 3" on my head in a ponytail at this stage.

When I let my remaining hair down I found that the front was 2 or more inches longer than the back, such that if I stood side-on, my hair sloped down from the back to the front, or like a reverse V-taper when seen from behind.

So, with the hair down, I cut along/around the bottom edge to even it up. Now some front strands won't quite reach my hair tie, but it's ok.

Now it is this long:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8018/dscf7939small.jpg

So that's the end of that story. Soon I might cut the rest off and have short hair for a while

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9620/dscf7931small.jpg

spidermom
September 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Not bad for a self-cut. I hope you enjoy it.

Kathie
September 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
The shoulder length suits you :agree:

Fencai
September 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM
wow! Not bad for a self cut! starting over is sometimes a good thing!

Antipodienne
September 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Yep, I agree. Looks good!
What was your motivation to go in for the big chop?

Gnomentum
September 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I was reading your post silently saying 'nooooo! nooooo!' but when it came to the last pic.. actually, it looks pretty cute at that length on you :)

Enjoy your new hair!

share801
September 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I like that length on you too!

PLH
September 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Yep, I agree. Looks good!
What was your motivation to go in for the big chop?

Well, I don't know - my long hair never benefited me and it was just trouble to keep. After realising that it's barely grown for 3 or 4 years I no longer felt like it was so much of an investment of time, and I just kind of trained my mind to not care what happened to it.

tinti
September 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Wow, I admire your courage! SL suits you wery well:)

pepperminttea
September 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I was reading your post silently saying 'nooooo! nooooo!' but when it came to the last pic.. actually, it looks pretty cute at that length on you :)

:lol: I did the exact same thing.

It looks great; enjoy that just-trimmed feeling!

Jasperine
September 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Really nice lenght on you :D Lovely colour and awesome beard :cheese:

Bene
September 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Your tribbles will be so happy to have a new playmate :)

arwenevenstar37
September 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gnomentum
I was reading your post silently saying 'nooooo! nooooo!' but when it came to the last pic.. actually, it looks pretty cute at that length on you

Hehe! I had the same reaction but it looks very good at this new length :)

Melisande
September 14th, 2010, 03:52 AM
King Theoden as young man ;-)

Very nice! Keep the shoulder length, it looks nice on you.

jasper
September 14th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Nice hair cut. Will you wait another 7 years?

About the inverted V, did you pull the hair up for the pony tail or was it low at the nape?

Dragon
September 14th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Looks great. Really suits you.

joiekimochi
September 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Ahahaha so cute~

Loviatar
September 14th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Your colour is fantastic, PLH, and it looks very thick and healthy now as well. :)

Peggy E.
September 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Looks great, in fact! Lots of shine, swing, thick and healthy.

Congratulations on the change and enjoy the new path of your journey!

PLH
September 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Nice hair cut. Will you wait another 7 years?

I expect I will keep it at this length now for a little while, maybe up to a few months, and then cut it further until it is actually "short". I can grow it to beyond this length in less than a year (or I could when I was 17, at least!):

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1526/1yearofhair.jpg

About the inverted V, did you pull the hair up for the pony tail or was it low at the nape?

It was low, like a normal ponytail one might wear.

Your colour is fantastic, PLH, and it looks very thick and healthy now as well. :)

Thanks - the colour remaining is more uniform than on the parts cut off, which from 7 summers of sun-bleaching had taken on a lot of highlights.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It's a week tomorrow since I cut it and I remain happy with it, in fact I haven't even thought about it much.

GoddesJourney
September 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Well, it looks good on you.

melrose1985
September 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Looks really great either way on you!

triumphator!
September 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Looks good!

linda g
September 14th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Looks good!

mrs_b
September 14th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I like it. your hair looks so healthy and it suits you.

eezepeeze
September 15th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hey, it looks great! So much healthier. If you decide to regrow, now you have great healthy hair to start with. :-)

JamieLeigh
September 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I would not be that brave! I would start with half an inch and work my way up over weeks of time. :p

Sister13
September 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Looks great! I admire your self-trim technique.

Mexibeach
September 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I liked the length, but the new cut looks great!! Congrats!

Heartwillfollow
September 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Agree with everyone loved the length you were able to get :) you look nice with the shorter length. Are you planing on growing the length out again ?

Unofficial_Rose
September 20th, 2010, 12:50 PM
That's the perfect length, I think. Don't see enough guys with shoulder-length, it's either short-short or APL. :thumbsup:

adiapalic
September 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
It looks really thick! Of course, a "quick 17-inch trim" makes it sound insignificant--that's a lot of hair! The shorter hair looks good though.

On a side note, the photo with your facial expression reminds me of Murray from "Flight of the Conchords"... lol. (great show)

PLH
November 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Sorry I didn't reply to most of these posts - I haven't changed my hair since that last cut but I intend to cut the rest off soon!

Catia
November 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Sorry I didn't reply to most of these posts - I haven't changed my hair since that last cut but I intend to cut the rest off soon!

I think your current length looks very nice. It looked nice before of course, and if you will be happy with short hair ... then yes, by all means ... follow your bliss.

I just find the whole phenomenon of joining LHC and immediately starting a thread about cutting all your hair off a bit ... odd. I'm not just picking on you PLH, but I am seeing this a lot lately since returning from my hiatus.

I'm just .... confused. :shrug:

PLH
November 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I just find the whole phenomenon of joining LHC and immediately starting a thread about cutting all your hair off a bit ... odd. I'm not just picking on you PLH, but I am seeing this a lot lately since returning from my hiatus.

I'm just .... confused. :shrug:

I think that cutting it off is all part of the long hair experience. The culmination of it, in a sense, and a time to look back at how I grew it.

Catia
November 7th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I think that cutting it off is all part of the long hair experience. The culmination of it, in a sense, and a time to look back at how I grew it.

So is it that you desired an audience to acknowledge what you grew, or an audience to see you cut it?

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 06:22 AM
looks good :)
bye bye hair

Fadedbluedreams
December 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
That style looks great on you. Your hair looks so much thicker and healthier than the first pictures.

Jessica Trapp
December 25th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Looks great!

Bonkers57
December 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I agree - it looks good on you.

The shoulder length suits you :agree: