PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss/excessive shedding

Afternoonrain
May 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hi! I haven't posted in awhile and thought I'd ask advice (for a friend) from the wise 'ol LHC. My friend has very very thick extremely curly hair, and when she told me that it was "shedding like crazy" I was somewhat reluctant to believe so. When she came to visit last week and showed me her ponytail circumferance, however, I was actually awed. It was at least half as thick as it had been.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? She said it was a stressful semester. I know that sometimes hair loss can happen with stess.

Any advice on how to STOP the shedding now?

*She claims that her nails are just as they've always been.*

Thanks all!

MoldyCake
May 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Did she just have a baby? Odd question I know, but a lot of women coming off of pre-natals, or in the weeks after child birth shed quite a bit of hair.

I shed every couple years too though, I've noticed. Usually while under stress, when my dad died I lost handfulls and actually had a bald spot on the nape of my neck.

julya
May 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
I recently lost about half of my volume, 4.25" to 3.25" I think it was a combination of stress and starting antidepressants. I think I'm not losing more hair now. Seems like my normal shed rate, so I'm hoping to regain some of my lost volume eventually.