PDA

View Full Version : knee length hair questions

Dragon
September 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
How long does it take to brush or comb?
How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?
How long does it take to wash?
Do you CO wash?
How often do you wash your hair?
How often do you oil your hair?
Do you use cones?
Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?

akka naeda
September 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM
How long does it take to brush or comb?Less than 5 minutes. 1-2 mins probably.

How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?Depends how long it had been like it! It a few mins to several hours.

How long does it take to wash?15-20 mins because when I wash I use deep treatments.

Do you CO wash?No

How often do you wash your hair?once a week to once every 2 weeks

How often do you oil your hair?2x a day - once at night and once in the morning

Do you use cones?No

Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?Ignore it.
Read LHC:D

Stagecoach
September 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM
* How long does it take to brush or comb?

1-2 minutes. I comb through the length, then brush the scalp.

* How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?

Depends on a lot. How long was it down? Was I sitting still or running around? Windy? Anywhere from 3-10 minutes.

* How long does it take to wash?

10 minutes.

* Do you CO wash?

Nope.

* How often do you wash your hair?

Twice a week.

* How often do you oil your hair?

Four times, the night before a wash, and right after my wash.

* Do you use cones?

Sometimes, sometimes not.

* Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?

Treat it well and have patiences. If you want a thick hemline, you'll have to be willing to trim either on your journey or maintain for a while once you arrive.

ETA: The rest of the questions that have popped up!

How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?

When I wet it down or rinse something out, it's straight down my back.
To put shampoo in, since I only shampoo the scalp, I wrap my length loosely around my neck. That helps keep the shampoo from running down the length, and it also removes the weight of my hair so I can really get in a scrub my scalp without wrenching my hair around.
To apply conditioner, I pull it all over my left shoulder and apply it.

How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what? Also, is it easy to style?

To detangle, I pull it over my left shoulder and use my left hand to tightly grasp the length around hip level and pull my ends up so I can reach them.

So what do you do with your hair at night, what works the best?

I leave my hair loose at night.

I took a length of silk and attached it to the top of my head board, I draped it down, over my pillow, and tucked it under. I keep the excess tucked in between the pillow and headboard and at night, I pull my hair over my head and lay the length along that little trench. It stays pretty well unless I'm very restless.

I also was wondering what is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?

When my hair is wet, a simple cinnamon bun, pinned as I coil. When dry, a braided cinna bun, pinned as I coil.

How long have you all been growing your hair &/or how long have you had it at the length it is now?

I've been growing mine about 9 years now. I've been at knee length for 1 year.

Did you grow it with or with out trimming? And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?

I've trimmed the entire time. I went through a 3 year experiment where I only trimmed once every 12 months, but I was not happy with how my ends ended up, so I went back to trimming 2-3 times per year.

I don't know if mine is the longest, I've seen pictures of great aunts with big buns, and I know my great grandmother had really long hair, but I don't know how long. My grandmother had tailbone length hair for a long time.

What shampoos & conditioners do you guys use for all that beautiful hair?

I do a simple shampoo/condition, though I don't shampoo my length very often.

For shampoo I use Mill Creek Botanical s as it's one of the few shampoos that does not increase my shed rate.

For conditioner, no-cones my favorite is Suave Tropical Coconut. With cones, I haven't decided yet. I'm really enjoying the Garnier Fructis Fortifying Conditioner.

How long does it take to your hair to dry after washing & what is your drying routine?

If I leave it down, maybe 3-4 hours to be completely dry. If I put it up, like I more often do, it will still be quite damp that evening when I take it down, but it's always dry by the next morning.

Fethenwen
September 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Those are all great questions, I will be watching this thread with interest :thumbsup:

HairColoredHair
September 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
How long does it take to brush or comb?Less than five minutes. Unless I've done something ridiculous to it.

How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?Depends. Five-Ten, usually. Unless it was super windy or something. I don't usually wear it down, but that's about how long it took after the ren. fair this year.

How long does it take to wash?However long I decide to take... I like long showers, but I can get in and out in five minutes if I want to.

Do you CO wash?No. I have in the past, though.

How often do you wash your hair?Once a week. More often or less often depending on when it needs it.

How often do you oil your hair?Whenever needed. (About every other week.)

Do you use cones?Generally, no. I might occasionally grab them if I need extra slip, but I've found no-cone is better as I don't get as much build up.

Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?Um... treat it gently, keep it up as much as possible, the general stuff...

Henrietta
September 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Those are all great questions, I will be watching this thread with interest :thumbsup:

Me too because I have always wanted to know if it's possible to detangle so long hair without cones. I see it is! Good to know.

Anje
September 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM
OK, I've got a weird question...

How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?

Fractalsofhair
September 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what? Also, is it easy to style?

slz
September 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM
--> I don't know ... long, since it's very tangle-prone and thick. 20 minutes to half an hour I'd say. However most of the time I do domething else while I comb, stop, then start again ... then it depends of what I've been doing with it before, like, after two days with the same braid left down, it can be a bit of an ordeal. Also I'm very careful, I tend to undo knots almost hair by hair, it takes time.
--> I don't want to know ! I never wear my hair down for more than 15 - 30 minutes in a row.
--> 15 minutes and 10 of them are just waiting. Doing mermaid soaks each time i wash has dramatically reduced my shampooing time, as well as using herbs that rinse much better than chemical stuff - and it it doesn't rinse well, never mind, the remains are combed out later.
Do you CO wash?
--> No, I use herbs + conditioner + vinegar rinse
--> once a week to once every 2 weeks.
--> Depends on my mood - could be everyday for a week, or just before shampooing, or sometimes not at all for two weeks if I'm busy.
Do you use cones?
--> No.
--> Like it has been said : ignore it, it will grow by itself ! And OFC standard LHC advice.

--> I sit in the tub, wash my scalp with hair hanging over my left shoulder, then over the right. Then I dip the lengths in a big salad bowl filled with whatever herb I use as a shampoo, diluted so as to cover as much hair as possible. Then I lean back in my bath, and relax ^^

--> Comb with hair over left shoulder (or right, when I do it in two servings, half over each shoulder) and hold the lengths over my body with left hand to lift it up high enough, leaning forward at the same time to reach down (if this makes sense !).

Lielananna
September 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Less than 5 minutes usually unless its been in a braid or something like that a few days in a row.
How long would it take to brush or comb if you wear it down?
Probably around 5 minutes, I try and finger comb throughout the day if I'm going to be wearing it down so it doesn't take as long to detangle at the end of the day.
My showers are usually around 15 minutes long, but I tend to wash my hair and while the conditioner soaks in I wash the rest of me.
Do you CO wash?
No, I CWC.
It varies, as often as every other day to once a week just depending on how bad my hair is looking at the time.
When it needs it, usually the couple of days leading up to a wash when I'm stretching out washings and not using cones.
Do you use cones?
I stopped for a while, but my hair was getting really dry, so I've recently switched back.
Any advice or tips to help others get their hair that long?
Just be patient with it. Don't measure it constantly, I actually ended up being surprised that it was knee length since I didn't look at it from the back very often.

My hair is hanging down my back when I rinse and put shampoo in, but I bring it over my shoulder when I put in conditioner and then it goes back behind my back to soak and then to rinse.

I pull my hair over one shoulder, grab midway down the length and detangle the ends then let go and continue up to my scalp and then switch all my hair to the other shoulder and do the same thing, then put it behind my back and smooth out the top. Its usually pretty easy to style, but my hair gets stubborn sometimes and refuses to do certain styles on various days (it used to do this at shorter lengths as well, so its my hair not the length) so if its refusing to do something I generally give up and try something else.

Aquamarine
September 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
*follows this thread and takes notes*:)

HairColoredHair
September 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM

I add products (whatever I'm using) with it pulled over my shoulder and rinse it either over the shoulder or straight down the back. Generally straight down the back (I feel it rinses better).

I sit and comb it out on my lap, pulled over one shoulder (which I've done since I started combing my hair, since I'm more gentle that way). As to styling, I tend to do basic braids/buns/combos, but I don't find it any more difficult than it was before tailbone for those. More intricate styles take more time and patience, but aren't necessarily Harder.

Stagecoach
September 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM

When I wet it down or rinse something out, it's straight down my back.
To put shampoo in, since I only shampoo the scalp, I wrap my length loosely around my neck. That helps keep the shampoo from running down the length, and it also removes the weight of my hair so I can really get in a scrub my scalp without wrenching my hair around.
To apply conditioner, I pull it all over my left shoulder and apply it.

To detangle, I pull it over my left shoulder and use my left hand to tightly grasp the length around hip level and pull my ends up so I can reach them.

enfys
September 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM
This is a brilliant thread so far! I'm really enjoying the thoughtful answers to thoughtful questions.

I don't plan to grow to knee but I think it could accidentally happen. Mid thigh to knee is quite a short step, and it looks awfully pretty...

pennyroyal
September 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Knee length is my goal so i am lovin this thread. :p

akka naeda
September 14th, 2010, 02:10 AM

I don't wash my hair when I have a shower because I don't like the feel of wet hair on my skin, likewise I couldn't sit in a bath with my hair loose. I have always washed standing up with my head tipped forwards, so upside down I guess. When my hair was short this was over the sink, now it's longer I stand next to the bath. I don't get tangles, although I never comb/detangle my hair until it's 99% dry anyway even if this means plaiting it damp and leaving it to dry overnight.

I pull it round to the side, and have done ever since it was longer than about BSL. The fact it is longer than my arms doesn't bother me, it's only just getting to the stage of being too long to plait - where I feel that it's going to need to be wrapped round something to shorten it.

Igor
September 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I hope no one objects to a nearing knee length-grower replying? :flower:

My morning combing when I take it out of the sleep braid(s) takes me about a minute (Comb only)
I wouldn’t know. My hair is only down before and after washing and when re-doing an updo. This doesn’t have anything to do with the length though, but the fact that I have almost no natural part-pattern and my hair falls straight down over my face. I need to put it up if I want to see!
That’s a tricky question. A CO scalp wash including rinsing takes me about 15 minutes. A CO conditioning wash is 5 minutes under the water while I do other things, then put conditioner in my hair, wrap it up in cling wrap and ignore it until it fits me to rinse, then about 10 minutes to rinse it out
Do you CO wash?
Yes, I have been CO/WO wash exclusive for… 5 years? I think since then I can count the number of times I used shampoo on one hand
CO: One or twice a week
WO (Rinse): Every day that isn’t CO (And that I have to go anywhere)
I never actually really got into an oiling habit, but have tried oil maybe 20 times so far. Recently I made a thorough plan for hair health and will be oiling every 1½ week using 3 different oils, one at the time
Do you use cones?
Yes. I have coarse hair and I love how much easier it makes handling
2 step treatments are awesome! My hair seems to be able to bind moisture better if it gets a little protein first
Buy products for coloured hair or products boasting UV protection, especially in the summer. Every little bit helps to keep the fading down (I dump a teaspoon regular sunscreen in my leave in-conditioner in the summer)
Count to 10 before untangling an irritating knot
Do your trims and S&Ds. Damaged ends will catch on to healthy strands and tangle and cause damage
Don’t be afraid to experiment from time to time. Just because your hair hated oils a year ago doesn’t mean it will hate it forever
Don’t try anything fancy if you’re in a hurry
Know your hair! Keep a blog or journal over what you have tried and what works. If you run into any problems, you can always look back to pinpoint the problem or return to a routine that works
Leave in-conditioners are awesome. Use them to protect your hair from daily wear and handling
Try to think “all around” in your hair care: Protein, oils, cholesterol, moisture, etc
Your hair changes needs as it grows older. Your ends will need heavier treatments than the scalp

How do you position your head when you wash your hair?
I bend over at the tub when I apply conditioner. During rinsing I shift from time to time: I usually start off with bending down and having the length down in the tub, this makes it easier to “loosen up” the conditioner. Then I straighten up a bit to get the water to my scalp while I scrub with ym fingertips. Finally I straighten up to the water is hitting the top of my head and I comb my hair out. Then my hair is “positioned” to dry and style. I find that shifting around makes it easier to be sure I covered all “angles” and get the conditioner out

How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what?
Still adapting to that one. Usually I would comb with my right hand and use the left to keep the length smooth. Now I try to separate sections that I hold and bring closer to my body with my left hand. It causes me some frustration to have to change years of habits though!

Also, is it easy to style?
Yes. I find that my hair is easier to deal with in any way than it has ever been before. I guess I reached a good thickness to length ratio that makes any styling really easy and updos self-stabilising

Fairlight63
September 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
What have you found works out the best to do with your hair to sleep?

As my hair is getting longer I don't know what to do with it. The weight of my hair in a sleep cap pulls it every which way.

I have tried a braid & it pulls & as it is getting longer I wind up laying on it.

I have tried a high bun, but I am afraid to do that every night because my hair is so thin on top & I don't want to make it worse.

Some say that they put their hair over their pillow but that wouldn't work for me because DH sometimes puts his arm by the head board. He says that he doesn't know what to do with his arms when laying on his side, haha. So he would wind up pulling my hair, that won't work.

Stagecoach
September 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM

As my hair is getting longer I don't know what to do with it. The weight of my hair in a sleep cap pulls it every which way.

I have tried a braid & it pulls & as it is getting longer I wind up laying on it.

I have tried a high bun, but I am afraid to do that every night because my hair is so thin on top & I don't want to make it worse.

Some say that they put their hair over their pillow but that wouldn't work for me because DH sometimes puts his arm by the head board. He says that he doesn't know what to do with his arms when laying on his side, haha. So he would wind up pulling my hair, that won't work.

I leave my hair loose at night.

I took a length of silk and attached it to the top of my head board, I draped it down, over my pillow, and tucked it under. I keep the excess tucked in between the pillow and headboard and at night, I pull my hair over my head and lay the length along that little trench. It stays pretty well unless I'm very restless.

daeana
September 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
How long does it take to brush or comb?less than a minute.
How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?i always wear it down, so same answer. :p
How long does it take to wash?about 10-15 minutes.
Do you CO wash?no.
How often do you wash your hair?once or twice a week.
How often do you oil your hair?whenever i remember, i.e. not often.
Do you use cones?yes.
Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?benign neglect.

daeana
September 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM

um, it depends. if i'm wetting it to oil, then i have it over my right shoulder (my hair parts on the left naturally) to pour water over it. i usually CWC, so i wet it with it hanging down my back, then pull it over my shoulder to put the first C, throw it back to shampoo, then rinse with it over my shoulder again. then the final rinse is down my back.

put it over my right shoulder and do a combination of pushing the brush down and pulling my hair up. the biggest problem i have with styling is that i can't reach the end of my hair, so the last foot or so often ends up unbraided. :p

i toss mine over the top of the pillow. my main requirement for a bed is that it not have a headboard (yes, i AM crazy), so it kinda just hangs over the top and onto the floor. i also usually sleep a bit down from the top, which leaves extra space for it. sweetie learned very early on to slither his arm under my neck if he wants to snuggle.

Themyst
September 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM
How long does it take to brush or comb? Just a few minutes

How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down? Just a couple of minutes and periodic combings throughout the day

How long does it take to wash? About the same as any length I guess, add a few more seconds for a length rinse

Do you CO wash? No

How often do you wash your hair? Every few days

How often do you oil your hair? Two or three times a week

Do you use cones? Yes - can't live without them

Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long? Have patience - put your hair up and ignore it for a couple of years except for washing.

HairColoredHair
September 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Honestly, a simple braid works best for me. I toss and turn, so putting it over the edge or top of the bed only works for a bit but when I wake up I'm laying on it. :(

chotee
September 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
wow! thanks! I am truly enjoying this thread!

akka naeda
September 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Single plait, sometimes 2 plaits.
If I didn't plait it, it would be dreaded by the morning.
FWIW DD now wears her waist length hair in the same way at night and it has dramatically reduced the tangles she had making it much quicker for her in the mornings before school:)

Maddy25
September 14th, 2010, 10:50 AM
This is really neat, threads like this make me start wanting my goal length to be longer than tailbone hehe.

Schipperchow
September 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
^^I agree! I never thought about growing longer than classic (my current goal is TBL) but the responses make it seem so simple.:)

Lielananna
September 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Depends on the night. If I've just washed my hair, I leave it loose down my back so that the natural wave will be encouraged, but if its completely dry, I'll sometimes rope braid or English braid it. A lot of it depends on how my hair is cooperating that day and what style I've had it in all day. If I've got braid waves, I'll generally rope braid it to try and smooth it down otherwise it gets really poofy and goes everywhere. If its been in a bun all day and pretty smooth I can get away with just letting it be loose on the bed. I've got satin sheets plus a full body wrap around pillow with a satin pillowcase on it so I don't get a lot of tangles from wearing it loose in bed and the full body wrap around pillow actually helps keep it in check so it doesn't wrap around DH at night.

slz
September 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM
OK so I chronometered my combing sessions for LHC's sake ^^
Yesterday : braid up (bun) half of the day, then down --> 15 mins. combing at night.
Today : braid up all day, ends oiled this morning --> 7 mins. combing tonight, then 3 more and my night braid (regular english) is done.

I sleep with one single english braid most of the time, neatly tucked behind my neck (I sleep on my side) so as to fall on the edge of the bed so I won't sleep on it - which happens sometimes nevertheless. But whenever I wake up at night, I check for my braid and put it back in place, it's a habit now.
In the morning, I will smooth the hair on my head / around face with some water and either go with my braid down, or put it up in a chinese bun-like fashion. Yep, the braid I slept in, I don't have time to devote to my hair in the morning. So if I want to have dual heidi braid, or a "split braid" (see sig. image) the next day, I will do it in the evening and sleep with it.

tanya222
September 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM
OK so I chronometered my combing sessions for LHC's sake ^^
Yesterday : braid up (bun) half of the day, then down --> 15 mins. combing at night.
Today : braid up all day, ends oiled this morning --> 7 mins. combing tonight, then 3 more and my night braid (regular english) is done.

I sleep with one single english braid most of the time, neatly tucked behind my neck (I sleep on my side) so as to fall on the edge of the bed so I won't sleep on it - which happens sometimes nevertheless. But whenever I wake up at night, I check for my braid and put it back in place, it's a habit now.
In the morning, I will smooth the hair on my head / around face with some water and either go with my braid down, or put it up in a chinese bun-like fashion. Yep, the braid I slept in, I don't have time to devote to my hair in the morning. So if I want to have dual heidi braid, or a "split braid" (see sig. image) the next day, I will do it in the evening and sleep with it.

I've been seeing that pic for awhile and been wanting to ask you how you do that? How do you prevent the other half from unwinding while you braid the first half? It looks really cool!! :)

Cinnamon Hair
September 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Combing takes around 5 minutes or less on damp hair.
More like 10 minutes. Or else I would give up and wash it so I could detangle with the help of water pressure and conditioner.
Never timed it. My total shower takes 15-20 minutes but that's everything, not just hair washing.
Do you CO wash?
Yes!
Daily CO. Once a week shampoo and deep condition.
Maybe once a week if I remember. I like to oil the night before shampooing.
Do you use cones?
Sometimes. I go through phases of cones vs. no cones. Cones can be good for tangles but they build up. Cone free conditioners sometimes are not enough, which is when I switch back to cones.
Patience. Don't trim more often then you must. Don't obsess over having perfect ends.
My hair hangs down my back. When I'm applying conditioner or detangling I drop my shoulder and swing it around to one side.
How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what?
To the side then I use my other arm to press it against my body so I can bend down to reach the ends.
Sure. I don't have any more trouble making buns at knee length than I did at tailbone. Yes, it pulls sometimes but it did that at shorter lengths too. When that happens you just have to readjust the updo and try again.
A cheap, ugly :p sleep cap works best for me.
Ditto above.

I have a routine video on youtube and also a combing video.

EdG
September 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Combing takes a few minutes.

I always wear my hair down.

Maybe 10 minutes.

Do you CO wash?
No, I use diluted shampoo.

Twice a week.

Never.

Do you use cones?
No.

Beyond proper care, genetics is the limiter. I have only a small number of hairs that can grow past my knees.

My hair hangs down in the shower, supported by my back.

I use both arms and form a triangle.

Very easy as long as the style is loose. :D

I drape my hair over the edge of the bed so that the ends rest on the floor. Gravity keeps it there all night.

Ed

Teazel
September 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM
How long does it take to brush or comb? 5 minutes. That's finger combing first, then a quick BBB to remove sheds, and finally combing to deal with any remaining tangles.
How long would it take to brush or comb if you wore it down? Depends.
How long does it take to wash? 5 minutes if it's a scalp wash, maybe 10 if it's a full shampoo/condition, not counting the time it takes to marinate in SMT before rinsing. (I don't count that because I do other shower duties in that time.)
Do you CO wash? No. I have seborrheic dermatitis so I keep conditioner away from my scalp.
How often do you wash your hair? Scalp wash about every 4th or 5th day, full wash maybe once a month.
How often do you oil your hair? Seldom.
Do you use cones? No.
Any advice or tips to help others get their hair that long?Benign neglect. SMT. And treat it gently.

How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?Wet it down my back, then divide it and bring it over my shoulders. I do flip upside down at the end of shampooing because I feel it gets my head and the underside my my hair cleaner.

How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what? Also, is it easy to style?That's a hard question, because I hadn't thought about it - I just do it automatically! :D But I paid attention while I detangled just now, and I bring my hair forward over one shoulder and sort of pull it through the comb (or whatever) with my free hand. Not as clumsy or bothersome as it sounds. Might be the same as the triangle EdG mentioned.

Yes, I think it's easy to style; but it depends on what style you're talking about, really. :wink:

What have you found works out the best to do with your hair to sleep?I put it in a high bun with a big soft scrunchie. Sometimes I leave it loose and throw it above my head over the pillow.

starlights
September 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM
This thread is so awesome.... nice to know from the knee length hair experts :P

pepperminttea
September 15th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I always wear my hair down.

I'm curious; what do you do with it for cooking, and things like that? (I don't mean to get at you or anything, it's just at my length it's beginning to get a bit impractical to wear down, so I find it kind of impressive you manage to wear it down all the time.)

Thanks for starting this thread OP, you're making me want to extend my goal length again. :o:D

slz
September 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I've been seeing that pic for awhile and been wanting to ask you how you do that? How do you prevent the other half from unwinding while you braid the first half? It looks really cool!! :)
I secure the main braid with a fabric elastic (terry cloth ? well, my usual ponytail/braid holder), separate the hair below in two, braid separately, then remove the elastic - simple and easy. Sometimes I do english braid at first, then herringbone / rope / whatever after the split; I like it asymetrical, like : main english//split//1 herringbone + 1 rope.

EdG
September 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I'm curious; what do you do with it for cooking, and things like that? (I don't mean to get at you or anything, it's just at my length it's beginning to get a bit impractical to wear down, so I find it kind of impressive you manage to wear it down all the time.)I use the stove only to boil things (pasta or rice). I never fry foods. Most of my cooking gets done in the microwave. :o

I'm very good at brushing my hair aside to keep it out of the way. It's almost involuntary. I will tuck my hair into my shirt when I'm doing yard work. :)
Ed

Jezerellica
September 15th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I use the stove only to boil things (pasta or rice). I never fry foods. Most of my cooking gets done in the microwave. :o

I'm very good at brushing my hair aside to keep it out of the way. It's almost involuntary. I will tuck my hair into my shirt when I'm doing yard work. :)
Ed

I have a guy friend who tucks his TBL hair into the back of his shirt anytime he is working on anything. 5 elastic bands spaced through the length and tucked. Smart idea! Thanks for sharing your secrets!

Fairlight63
September 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM
This is very interesting! Thanks for answering our questions.

I also was wondering what is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?

Stagecoach
September 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM

When my hair is wet, a simple cinnamon bun, pinned as I coil. When dry, a braided cinna bun, pinned as I coil.

akka naeda
September 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Plaited Fig 8 bun - I need to make sure my hair's not going to get into anything, so if the bun comes down it's still contained in the plait.

When I did a 2 week course at a local college a month or so ago I discovered it was much more fun to wear my hair tied in a knot with the tail loose (makes it about waist length).

HairColoredHair
September 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Braided Cinnabun.

Lielananna
September 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Hypno bun or single English braid.

pennyroyal
September 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM
How long have you all been growing your hair &/or how long have you had it at the length it is now?

Dragon
September 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Did use grow it with or with out trimming? And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?

HairColoredHair
September 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM

I kept it at or about waist for many years and started growing longer before I joined here (Oct '05, I think). I just got to knee recently.

Did use grow it with or with out trimming? And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?

I don't trim, but I do S&D. No, I think I've the longest in my family. :lol:

daeana
September 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM

down and loose. if i'm having one of those "gah it's always in my face" days, a half-up. if i need it up, upside-down log roll (see sig pic).

i've always grown my hair. i think it's been about this length since sometime in high school.

i S&D regularly. and absolutely no one else in my family has anything resembling long hair. :p

Teazel
September 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I also was wondering what is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?Either a Nautilus bun or Gibraltar bun. If it really needs to be under control I love Harpgal's Pinless Braided Bun or a braided Cinnabun.

How long have you all been growing your hair &/or how long have you had it at the length it is now?My hair has been around waistlength all my life; until I discovered LHC. :D I've only recently reached knee - this is the longest it's ever been.

Did you grow it with or without trimming? And has anyone else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?Sometimes I've trimmed, sometimes I haven't. Apparently my grandmother had knee-length hair when she was 13. Otherwise, no.

Lielananna
September 16th, 2010, 01:39 AM

I cut my hair to shoulder length about 11 and a half years ago and its been growing ever since.

I trim about every 6 months, before I found my current stylist that was about an inch or two each time since they would always cut more than I wanted, but for the last few years its only been a wee bit each time it gets trimmed. I also cut 6 inches off when it was around waist length to even out the length - I'd been growing out bangs at the same time as the rest of my hair and I didn't like having pseudo-layers.

I think the longest anyone in my family has had their hair was my mom when she was in college and it was down to her hips, otherwise I'm the one with the longest hair in my family.

Igor
September 16th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I sleep on my side or stomach so I wear it in a single braid (or dual) I do find myself (or hubby!) rolling over it during the night, but it’s still better than loose or any other solution

Most of the time: Braid(s) Simply because I’m lazy and if I’m not going anywhere that day it goes in a simple braid(s). Dutch, English, single or dual. I sleep in braids so this is a no-touch ‘do for me.
Favourite: Braided bun or nautilus bun. Both are super sturdy and look impressive

How long have you all been growing your hair
8 years, 8 months, 3 weeks and 3 days :lol:

how long have you had it at the length it is now?
I have been at “mid thigh nearing knee” for what feels like a year now :rolleyes: I know my hair is growing normally like it always did, but it’s hard to see the progress at thigh length. There are no “landmarks”!

Did use grow it with or with out trimming?
With! I grew out from bald and had a lot of crappy annoying layers to get rid of. I trim about 4 times a year and S&D regularly. I try to follow the Morocco Method strength dates for S&D and I keep my scissor by my computers so whenever I have idle time and I find myself fiddling with my hair, I can snip off any damaged ends

And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?
No. I have some seriously good hair genes in my family though, men don’t bald and women keep their hair colour until their 80s. My mother maintained hip-ish length blonde hair when she was younger

pennyroyal
September 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I love this thread! Thanks to all you lovelies for answering our questions!

Stagecoach
September 16th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I've been growing mine about 9 years now. I've been at knee length for 1 year.

Did you grow it with or with out trimming? And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?

I've trimmed the entire time. I went through a 3 year experiment where I only trimmed once every 12 months, but I was not happy with how my ends ended up, so I went back to trimming 2-3 times per year.

I don't know if mine is the longest, I've seen pictures of great aunts with big buns, and I know my great grandmother had really long hair, but I don't know how long. My grandmother had tailbone length hair for a long time.

pennyroyal
September 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM

HairColoredHair
September 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Anything that peaks my fancy... :o I've done CO and shampoo bars... water only... they all had their merits and could be made to work for my hair. Right now I'm back to a CWC with a diluted shampoo for the W (usually something cheap, like V05) and some cheap cone-less conditioner or another for the Cs. I use Say Yes to Tomatoes when I want to feel like I'm pampering myself or the Tressamme coneless for extra slip... but usually just V05 flavor-of-the-week (though I steer away from the ones with too much protein.) :)

ETA: Deep condish is usually V05 flavor-of-the-week and honey or mayo and honey if I'm desperate. :lol:

daeana
September 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
i avoid sulfates, so i have a selection of shampoos from Trader Joe's, 365 (Whole Foods house brand), Kiss My Face, JASON, and Shikai.

as for conditioners, i'm currently working through a backlog of now discontinued stuff, but i have two cone-free standards: 365 and Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy. i also use Tresemme, and once i get rid of some more inventory, probably going to try some Herbal Essences. should also get some White Rain, which i've used in the past.

Stagecoach
September 17th, 2010, 05:34 AM

I do a simple shampoo/condition, though I don't shampoo my length very often.

For shampoo I use Mill Creek Botanical s as it's one of the few shampoos that does not increase my shed rate.

For conditioner, no-cones my favorite is Suave Tropical Coconut. With cones, I haven't decided yet. I'm really enjoying the Garnier Fructis Fortifying Conditioner.

Dragon
September 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM
How many washes do you get out of a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and how big is the bottle?

At what length did you start tying it up most of the time?

akka naeda
September 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM

I shaved my head 18 years ago. While it was growing back it's been a bleached pixie (never again, far too much maintenance!), had coloured streaks, and already got to almost-knee once. I trimmed it back to classic and this is the second time (and the ends are much happier).

Minimal trims since BSL, I used to wear it down a lot which led to me having to trim back to classic when I found LHC and after a bit of experimentation I've found it's better to trim every couple of months. But my routine consists of ignoring my hair so much that I even tend to forget about trims despite the fact I schedule them for the 1st of the month for easy remembering:rolleyes:. I don't S&D because I have muscular problems and doing "fine detail" work like that exacerbates them.

My younger brother used to have classic length dreads. Other than him, no-one else has hair longer than BSL, apart from my DD, so that may be my influence:)

akka naeda
September 17th, 2010, 05:55 AM

I'm in the UK.
I use Superdrug Naturals Coconut Conditioner, the deep conditioner in the same range and Aussie Miracle Moist. I make an SMT mix of the Aussie and the Superdrug deep conditioner.

Any sulphate shampoo that's around, I use that on my scalp only and it trickles down the length massively diluted as I rinse. My scalp does not like conditoner.

hmmm
September 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Great thread! I had some questions, but they've either been covered or I got really distracted with all of your beautiful hair...

I think I might change my goal length too :lol:

HairColoredHair
September 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
How many washes do you get out of a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and how big is the bottle?
Shampoo... uh... lots and lots. (I dilute and only do scalp with the shampoo unless the situation calls for more...) Conditioner... Maybe four from a typical V05 bottle (keep in mind, I wash once a week), but it depends on how liberal I am with the conditioner. :lol:

Tailbone. It could have used updos prior, but I didn't know how until I got here. :lol:

slz
September 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM
For a while it was single low-set english braid, recently I more often than not put said braid up in a one-stick chinese-ish bun.

I don't know, forever ? I don't remember when I last really *cut* my hair, for a while I made quite big trims regularly, so it took time to reach there, but I was growing it nevertheless.

See above ^^ now since 3 or 4 years I only do very minimal trims, once or twice a year at most.
My mother used to have very long hair (classic I think ?) but she cut around 30 because of migraines. My two sisters used to have long hair, too (butt / tailbone) - cut when they had kids, sigh :rolleyes:

No chemical shampoo here, just herbs - shikakai or zizyphus or gram flour or a mix of it at the moment. Plus some cone free conditioner (garnier brand, with avocado oil), and a last rinse with diluted vinegar.

I only wash once a week or less, so a condish bottle (250 ml I think) can last quite a while - one month I think most of the time, which would make 4 times ^^.
I stated braiding it most of the time around mid-thigh, or classic, if I remember well.

Lielananna
September 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Right now I'm using Puna Noni All Natural shampoo (I think its Hawaii specific), Nature's Gate Daily Conditioning Conditioner (cone-free I'm trying to use it up, I'm not real happy with it) for my first condition while I shampoo and then I use Pantene Beautiful Lengths Conditioner (cones) for my second condition.

My shampoo I can get a couple of months of washing out of it since I don't use too much at a time, but conditioner I usually only get about 4-6 washes out of it if I use the same conditioner for both sets of C in my CWC, I'm not sure how many washes I'm going to get out of each of my bottles with my current routine since I just started it a week ago. My shampoo bottle is 12 fl oz and my conditioner bottles are slightly larger than that.

I wear my hair down as much as I can get away with, but I've been tossing it up in updos to get it out of the way ever since shoulder length (at which time I was annoyed I couldn't braid it). I think I've been tossing it up more often to get it out of the way since I started sitting on it since if I'm not careful my computer desk chair likes to eat my hair if its down.

eresh
September 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM
It takes about 5 minutes to brush, to comb maybe 8 minutes.

When I wear it down I want braidwaves, so I take the braid out and only fingercomb a bit.

I think about 15 minutes.

Do you CO wash?
No, shampoo and conditioner

Once every 4 days

Once a year maybe, I find it too much hassle.
I do use a few drops of jojobaoil in my daily mister

Do you use cones?
Not anymore. Both ways work well for me, so I have no problem using cone-shampoo when I'm out of my regular shampoo.

Enjoy! Don't be afraid to wear it down.
Headmassages might help (no idea, but I always sort of massage my head myself out of habit when I have nothing to do, perhaps it helped?)
Patience, lots of it :-)

It depends, sometimes standing in the shower/bath, sometimes leaning over the bath edge upside down, when I don't feel like taking a long bath. (it does take a bit longer to detangle after upside down)

Arm behind my back for the very ends, then take it to the front on one side and brush the whole, helping with my other hand to go through the whole length.

Yes. And there's a lot of variety in the buns to do.
Fairytale ends are easier to use than blunt ends, I had both and it really makes a difference in making buns, fairytale ends stay tucked under and behave, blunt ends need more pins.

A simple braid, I tuck it in that place between the headboard and the top of the pillow, when I turn in my sleep, it stays there (unless I get really active LOL)

My go-to bun is the braided bun with a fork, quick and very easy.
I also like the knotted buns like celtic or orchidbun, they work well with flexi-8s

I cut my classiclengthhair when I was 14 or 15 into a bob, regretted it and never cut it since (apart from the trims that are needed).
I'm 35 now and had it at this length for some time.
It was calflength for a few years but I decided to keep maintaining at kneelength to thicken up my ends.

Did you grow it with or with out trimming?
I started out without trims for 10 years, only did search & destroy regularly, but the last years I like to trim once every 2-3 months to maintain the length/ends as they are now.
And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?
Nope.

I use Inecto coconut shampoo and conditioner.
Before (and also when I'm out of Inecto) I used Andrelon shampoo and Palmolive antitanglecreme.

Lots, I don't use that much per wash.

At I-can-sit-on-my-hair length :-)

Jezerellica
September 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
What a wonderfull thread!! Thanks for sharing all your secrets with us!

I love that I can imagine myself doing the things mentioned. It is something to look forward to!

hmmm
September 18th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Who cuts your hair? Do you go to a trusted salon or does a friend/partner do it?

Do they have to make you stand on a chair to cut it? :p

slz
September 18th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I used to have it done by my mother, then my BF, who made me stand on the outside stone bench - now I do it myself.

eresh
September 18th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Who cuts your hair? Do you go to a trusted salon or does a friend/partner do it?
My partner trims my hair.
I don't trust salons anymore, in my experience they always cut off too much.
And they give you a funny look if you want them to take a picture of the new hemline :D

Do they have to make you stand on a chair to cut it?
No I have him sitting/kneeling on the floor :D

julya
September 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I usually just don't feel like I need any cuts or trims, but when I do, I trim it myself.

Schefflera
September 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Fairytale ends are easier to use than blunt ends, I had both and it really makes a difference in making buns, fairytale ends stay tucked under and behave, blunt ends need more pins.

Aha, it's not just me! :D Not that mine is anywhere near knee, but whenever I've just had a trim and my ends are even, I have trouble getting them to stay put.

HairColoredHair
September 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
... Just S&D. :) :) No trims, especially not in a salon.

Do they have to make you stand on a chair to cut it? :p
No... When I had Tailbone length hair (the last salon trim I had) I had to stand and the stylist had to kneel, though.

pennyroyal
September 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
How long does it take to your hair to dry after washing & what is your drying routine?
(Thanks again for answering all these questions!)

HairColoredHair
September 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I'm I'm drying it down a goodly number of hours maybe five? Up, it can take a day and a half or so.

I tend to have it up just because if I'm going anywhere, it's up. :lol:

slz
September 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM
On a sunny day I comb in the garden until almost dry, then braid. In bad weather, I just let it down for a few hours, then braid without combing thoroughly since it's nowhere dry enough - when I take my braid out the next evening, it's still a bit damp so I let it down a bit to be able to comb and allow drying thoroughly before braiding again for the night.
So to sum it up : most of the time it takes more than 24 hours to dry, because I braid it damp for convenience and lack of time.

nicolezoie
September 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM
•How long does it take to brush or comb?

About 10-15 minutes every morning. I do my hair once for the day and leave it alone.

•How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?

My hair is wavy on the edge of being curly so if I do wear it down it's on a very careful basis. It can get tangled in a hurry, and it's hard to keep track of it when it's loose. So, in an average "down" session of a few hours, I'd say it can take me up to and beyond a half hour to detangle it. Usually these sessions involve some jojoba to soften the pin-fairy-knots that develop from the twisting.

•How long does it take to wash?

15 minutes from start to finish. Most of that is rinsing.

•Do you CO wash?

I did for about a month 6 years ago. My scalp and skin are too oily for it, and I did not adjust.

•How often do you wash your hair?

1-2 times a week on my scalp, and maybe once or twice a month for the length. Depends on what it needs.

•How often do you oil your hair?

Nowadays rarely. I used to be a jojoba addict so to speak, but I stopped using it entirely for over a year and my hair was fine without it.

•Do you use cones?

No. My hair is on the fine side, and it causes buildup.

•Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?

Benign Neglect. Wear it up and out of your way. Learn a few basic staple updos that you become expert quick at constructing. Learn how to balance the weight and not put all the strain on the back of your scalp. The top of your head is a much more balanced place to anchor certain updos like log rolls.

•How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?

I keep my hair aligned straight down my back. It gets wave-patterns when wet and if I disturb those I'm asking for tangle-hell afterwards.

•How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what? Also, is it easy to style?

Detangle the ends first by wrapping the length around my left hand a couple times. Then, unwrap, detangle some more. Then, Gently work my way down from my scalp, to the meeting point where my hand was. Detangle the pulled tangles down gently until the tangles are gone. Repeat.

•Also, is it easy to style?

More or less, so long as I don't separate it into several sections that end up not being split evenly. I'm an OK single-braider, but I prefer to keep my hair in one chunk, so to speak. I do the same boring updos over and over so for me it's easy. For someone who isn't used to it, difficult!

•What have you found works out the best to do with your hair to sleep?

The previous days' updo.

•What do you do with it for cooking, and things like that?

Cooking it's up and back, and I will keep a napkin or something to wipe strays back. I get into it when I cook and tend to get gook in my hair if I'm not careful.

•Doing yard work

Up and back, and covered with a bandana to absorb sweat. I forget the bandana from time to time, and have to remind myself to NOT touch my face if I've been grubbing with the lawn clippings or dog mess.

•What is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?

Cinnamon Bun held in place with 4 bent-in-half-so-they're-forks knitting needles.

•How long have you all been growing your hair &/or how long have you had it at the length it is now?

Collectively, 17 or 18 years by now, I think. Lost track. Two phases; from pixie to tailbone 8 years. Then, from hip to ankleish 9 years, I think. As far as my family goes, I believe I've got the longest hair that I know of. I had a great grand mother with thigh length, and a great aunt with knee-length-when-curly (stretched who knew how long?).

•Did use grow it with or with out trimming? And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?

LOTS of trimming and LOTS of S&D. My hair is brittle and tends to get splits. I'd guess if I'd not trimmed I'd have hair dragging on the floor behind me a foot or two by now.

•What shampoos & conditioners do you guys use for all that beautiful hair?

For many years I was GM exclusive. Then the local salon stoped carrying it locally, and I stopped. Been using various natural formulas from natural food stores for a couple years, and my hair's fine with it.

•How many washes do you get out of a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and how big is the bottle?

Depends on the size of the bottle ha ha. 16 oz bottle of GM Blue shampoo would last me 6 months, but 8 ounce bottle of the stuff I'm using now only lasts about 2. I think the GM stuff is super-concentrated so I don't have to use near as much. Conditioner usually lasts me twice as long since I only length wash half as much.

•At what length did you start tying it up most of the time?

At the point where I was sitting on it; just about classic-length.

•Who cuts your hair? Do you go to a trusted salon or does a friend/partner do it?

I've had two professional hair cuts since I was 14. I've been doing it myself since I was 12, with a 1 year break when I was 14. I started when it was a bit below shoulder length but not quite bra-length.

•Do they have to make you stand on a chair to cut it?

The more recent pro trims were standing up for the trim, sitting down for the S&D session.

•How long does it take to your hair to dry after washing & what is your drying routine?

Dry time varies. Microfiber towels are my best friend when it comes to drying. If I get the opportunity to let it air dry and fluff it at the same time, with the towels it takes about an hour after I absorb most of the water with the towels. If I don't get the opportunity to fluff it, it lives in my satin-lined hoody hood more or less "plopped" for several hours. I take it out and flip it around (think headbanging but not with my head, just my length) a few times here and there. That will take all day.

Longlocks3
September 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I LOVE this thread. Thank you to all the knee plus LHCers for answering questions. It's my next goal!

eternallyverdan
September 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Wow, this has turned into a very long list! I'm not quite knee length, but I hope y'all don't mind my answering anyhow. Here goes:

It depends. If I brush in the morning and put it up, 5 minutes, if I leave it down, 10. If I get lazy and don't bother brushing it for a couple days, it can take 15 or 20 because I wear it down to sleep, which creates tangles.

How long would it take to brush or comb if you wore it down?

See above. Even on "down" days, I'll put it in a quick updo for a bit if I'm doing something and I want it out of the way.

About 5 minutes.

Do you CO wash?

Nope. It makes me shed like crazy for some reason.

About once a week. I shampoo the scalp and condition the length.

I've done it a couple times, but it's not a habit.

Do you use cones?

Yep, but I'm fine without them as well.

As everyone else has said, leave it alone! Don't worry too much about how the ends look, especially if you wear it up a lot. Also, have fun with it! If you ever stop enjoying your hair, stop growing it.

Straight down my back. It tangles like crazy any other way.

Divide it in half, bring it over my shoulders, and wrap around my neck to get to the ends

Yes! My only challenge is finding hair toys that are large enough to contain it all.

I leave it down when I sleep and lay it over my pillow. Anything else makes my neck hurt.

What do you do with it for cooking, and things like that?

I leave it however it is, up or down. Keeping my hair out of the way is second nature to me, I don't often have problems with it getting into stuff.

Doing yard work

Same as above.

What is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?

At the moment, Nautilus bun, braid, or down. Used to be Spidermom's bun that stays, but my hair outgrew my fork and I haven't been able to do that one in a while.

I've never actually had short hair, and I've never cut off more than about 4 inches at a time.

I've trimmed my hair a total of four times in my entire life, two in the past 2 years. I don't know of anyone in the family that has (or had) hair as long as mine.

Whatever's around. I'm currently using Suave shampoo (something ocean-scented) and Herbal Essences Long-Term Relationship, but I use whatever is cheap and plentiful at the grocery store. My hair isn't at all picky-- I don't even have to condition if I don't want to.

At my current rate, this 22.5 oz/665 ml bottle of Suave will last about three years, and the 24 oz/700 ml bottle of HE will last about two.

I still wear it down about half the time. I wear it down for 3 days after washing, then up for 4, then wash again, unless I've been sweating a lot.

I go to a salon in my hometown whenever I'm there, and there's a particular lady that does it.

No. She's got a high chair, and my hair is still about 6" from the ground.

I actually have no clue. I towel-dry it, and I try to time my washes so I'll have at least an hour of drying time before I have to go anywhere. I think it's between two and three hours.

Teazel
September 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I put it up. Don't want to run the risk of my hairs winding up in someone's food - it's not like I could blame them on anyone else! :p

Doing yard work

Bunned and hatted.

V05 (Alberto Balsam, here) suits me fine. I alternate between a few bottles - mainly Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Passion Fruit Smoothie, and Strawberries & Cream.

Hoo, I dunno... I think a 444ml bottle of shampoo would last several months, and conditioner somewhat longer.

When I started sitting on it. :)

DH trims my hair, though last time I did it myself because he was busy.

No. He gets down on one knee. :wink:

I blot it with a towel, then leave it loose if I can. It would take about 4 hours to dry that way, depending on the weather. Otherwise I damp bun it and it takes days for the length to dry.

Stagecoach
September 19th, 2010, 06:44 AM

If I leave it down, maybe 3-4 hours to be completely dry. If I put it up, like I more often do, it will still be quite damp that evening when I take it down, but it's always dry by the next morning.

09robiha
September 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I have to ask...do any knee lengths dye there hair?

slz
September 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Yep I do - two step henndigo since january, chemical before that. I'd have light grey hair by now otherwise.
I only do roots, ever.

Lielananna
September 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I usually toss it up in a hypno bun if its down, otherwise I just leave it in whatever style its been in all day.

Doing yard work

I rarely do yard work because of my allergies, but I figure I'd just toss it in a bun then as well.

I go to Jim Butchee when I'm in Texas visiting my family, he's the only hair stylist that I've ever found that does exactly what you ask of him without trying to talk you into something else. I've been going to see him for about 4-5 years now.

I stand up next to the chair and he gets down on his knees to trim it.

I wrap a normal towel around the length and let it absorb water for about 30 minutes or until I get tired of the weight and then I let it air dry usually. If I'm not going to bed immediately after, it takes about 3 to 4 hours to fully dry. If I go to bed with wet hair, its still damp in the morning and takes an extra 2ish hours in the morning to fully dry. I rarely put it up wet since I avoid combing it while wet or damp.

daeana
September 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
i use about 3-4oz of conditioner a time, and i usually buy the liter sized conditioners. i only wash about once a week, so it lasts longer than people think. no clue about shampoo, since sweetie also uses it.

me. just s&d.

a few hours. i squeeze the extra water out, wrap it in a giant camp towel and leave it until the entire towel is damp, then unwrap and let it totally air dry.

I have to ask...do any knee lengths dye there hair?
no, but i keep wanting to make it purple. :p

petcrazy18
October 26th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Such an exciting thread! I've just about reached tailbone length and am no where near knee length yet. However seeing all these beautiful sets of hair is making me start to consider changing my hair goal to knee length. I can only hope to learn as much as I can from all the great suggestions that have already been given. I hope to someday have a place on this thread in another 2 or 3 years :happydance:

Dragon Faery
June 21st, 2015, 02:10 AM
Bumping this thread to see if any of the newer Knee-reachers have anything to add. :) :blossom:

alexis917
June 21st, 2015, 06:33 AM
I have a question about super-long hair, and this thread seemed the appropriate place. Is it possible to have curly hair past waist/TBL? Even knee? Or do you have to brush it out? Once my hair gets around waist, it's damn near bone-straight when brushed.

ravenheather
June 21st, 2015, 07:00 AM
It is possible quixii is a beautiful example.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132017

truepeacenik
June 21st, 2015, 07:30 AM
That's exactly who popped into my mind.
Photos in the east bay meet report from June 20.
So fresh photos.
Also, hairstickler is exactly at knee.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132379&page=2&p=3032660#post3032660

Anje
June 21st, 2015, 09:03 AM
I don't know where her hair is these days, but Wonderlywroughte has had some amazing knee-length curls, too.

alexis917
June 21st, 2015, 10:24 AM
^Wow! I hope my hair looks half that good...!

pili
June 21st, 2015, 10:17 PM
That's exactly who popped into my mind.
Photos in the east bay meet report from June 20.
So fresh photos.
Also, hairstickler is exactly at knee.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132379&page=2&p=3032660#post3032660

It is possible quixii is a beautiful example.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132017

I'm loving this thread and I hope both of them participate at some point since I was too shy to ask at the meetup. I have a total hair rush on Quixii's curls. I'm not sure I'll get that long, but I can dream.

Betazed
June 22nd, 2015, 12:55 PM
I just wanted to say Thank you! to all those who participated in this thread. I just read the whole thing and I throughly enjoyed it. Are there any new knee-length'ers out there to contribute? I'm only at waist and my goal is classic but this thread makes me want to re-visit my goal once I get there. Thanks OP for starting this thread! It's very interesting.

Ephemia
June 23rd, 2015, 10:18 AM

Depends on how oily it is. Freshly washed, it can take up to half an hour. When it's got a fair amount of coconut oil or sebum on it, it probably takes 5 - 10 minutes. Some of that, however, is due to the fact that I tic horribly when I'm doing my hair because I worry about breaking it, and that slows me down.

How long does it take to brush or comb if you've worn it down?

Same as above, because at the moment I always wear my hair down unless it's a college or work experience day or I think it would be a good idea to contain it for some other reason.

Probably about 15-20 minutes.

Do you CO wash?

No.

Twice a week.

I'm still experimenting here, but it usually gets at least some coconut oil every day, and I have a heavier oiling once a month. My hair adores the stuff.

Do you use cones?

Yes.

Not really, mine kind of got there while I was doing other stuff. I've always been very nice to it compared to the way most women treat their hair, but by LHC standards I guess I have mistreated it.

Panth
June 23rd, 2015, 03:14 PM
A few inches past knee, here. 1b/F/i/ii.

5-10 minutes usually.

Depends on how long it's been down, whether it was windy, rainy, etc. It can be quite a while if it's bad. If it's really bad, I tend to default to detangling in the shower after drenching it in coney conditioner.

About 20 mins?

Do you CO wash?
Nope.

2-3 times a week.

Never, generally.

Do you use cones?
Yup, lots. Currently, amodimethicone in my conditioner.

Daily protective updos are a must, especially if you have thin, fine or otherwise delicate hair.

Dragon Faery
June 24th, 2015, 05:08 AM
A massive thank you to Ephemia and Panth for taking the time to answer! :blossom: :blossom:

I'm guessing it will take me another 3 to 6 years to get to Knee. *Resumes waiting*

Chromis
June 24th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Under five minutes? Under ten if I count unbraiding it from my nightly braid and picking up stray hairs on the floor.

I don't think I want to ponder this! I very rarely wear it down, normally for only short lengths of time, a couple of hours at most and it does take a lot longer at least 10-15 minutes even though I put it back up the moment there is any wind.

10 minutes or less. Any more time than that is just me luxuriating under the hot water, but I prefer to do that on nonwash days without my hair sticking to me everywhere.

Do you CO wash?
Tried it long ago, not for me.

Once a week-ish. Sometimes every other week-ish in the winter, sometimes twice a week in the summer.

I oil my hair after each wash once it is mostly or fully dried. I oil again the next day if it still seems like it is a bit dry or tangly.

Do you use cones?
Tried them, didn't like them.

Well, mostly hair is pretty easy to grow! Don't abuse it and you should get there.

Straight down my back for the scalp and rinsing. I pull it gently over my shoulder to wash the length. I also lift it slightly with one hand so I can soap up under the nape hairs and along the side of the scalp too.

I put my hair over one shoulder for this. I have found that changing the angle of my arms lets me reach more hair, but I don't start at the ends. I start from the top, slow and steady and the moment I encounter something, I remove the comb and then work whatever it is out with my fingers. Often it is a shed hair and just gently removing them by running my hands down the length and then taking out the loose hairs fixes things. If there is a tangle, I detangle with my fingers, gently. (seeing a pattern here?) It is generally easy to style, but it does depend what I am trying to do!

Log Roll held with a Ficcare Maximus is my most worn style. It is fast, looks polished, fits under winter gear, and holds like a rock.

12 years. I started from a shaved head after surgery. The first couple of years were the worst! Once it gets to about bra strap my hair was so much better behaved and easier to deal with. I think it took about seven years to reach knee. I have mostly been maintaining it here. I lost a bunch of weight and had a heavy shed, so my ends are thinner now, but have been starting to get thicker. I am a couple of inches past knee at the moment.

I trimmed the nape until the sides caught up when I grew it out initially, then grew it as one length. I do trim to keep my hemline tidy. I don't know of anyone in my family who has grown their hair out like this, but I don't know many of them either.

I use shampoo bars and get a few months out of each bar depending on the size of the bar.

I put it into a ponytail the very moment I could! I never wore my hair completely loose much even before. I found LHC around BSL and lurked for a year before joining. I immediately picked up some braiding tips and then got a hair stick and never looked back. I haven't worn a ponytail since! Had I found LHC earlier, I would have started trying to put it up even sooner. All of my pre-LHC hair landed up needing to be trimmed out and I could see a big line of demarcation at my nape where the ponytail used to be.

I do. I have had my husband trim any strays, but he is nervous about cutting too much and almost always tells me it is already straight. I basically use Feye's method only simplified. I just slide a scrunchii (ony reason I own own now!) down the length, firmly grabbing just above it once it is hard to reach, then I pull it over one shoulder and keep sliding it down until I reach almost the very end. Then I trim off the stragglers, usually only about a centimetre or two.

It takes at least a couple of hairs. I put my hair into a Turbie Twist for 15 or 20 minutes and then just take it down and drape it. I comb it very carefully when it is mostly dry to speed things up. If I want to do stuff before it is dry, I just put it up with a glass hairstick into a lazy wrap bun or braid it. If it is sopping wet, I only smooth the top a tiny, tiny bit and just put it up like that, letting it down to dry later. Sometimes in the the winter I will stand near the heating vent, but I don't have the patience to do that for more than a couple of minutes and I never use blowdryers or such.

Do any knee lengths dye there hair?
I use henna sometimes and lately I have been trying things like cassia so I don't cover up incoming grays so much. Henna fades on me, so I can get away with doing it seldomly without having a line, but the grays are more obvious (and I like them!).

Remi
June 26th, 2015, 08:32 PM
What a fun and interesting thread.

Panth
June 27th, 2015, 02:57 AM
Woops, missed the rest of the questions:

Down my back for shampooing and rinsing. Over one shoulder, then over the other for conditioning. (I find if I keep it over one shoulder only, I miss the chin-to-shoulder section of the opposite side.)

Over one shoulder, then over the other (again, to prevent missing that chin-to-shoulder region on the other side). To get to the ends, I grasp the hair at about hip-height and pull it out to one side, raising the hemline within my reach. I always comb with my hair pressed against my body rather than hanging loose in the air. Not sure why... I use the Bodyshop wide-toothed wooden comb.

Detangling is easy, provided I've not been wearing it loose or doing silly things with it (or trying to learn new hairstyles). Styling is ... easy for stuff I'm familiar with (braided cinnabun, coronet braid, nautilus and ... finally! a new bun to the repetoire: Spidermom's bun). It's much harder to learn new things (or maybe I'm just a klutz) and french/dutch/etc. braids are impossible to do on ones self (at least for me).

I tend to do a single English braid which I chuck up over my pillow. Whether that works best... well. I suspect my silk satin hair-tube thing was more protective but a) it made my scalp hair even more flat than normal and b) it broke and evidently I've been too lazy to mend it for months.

Currently I'm sick of braidwaves so I'm wearing Spidermom's bun a lot (also because bundrops are cool). However, my go-to bun is a braided cinnabun with spinpins because it is so sturdy. Spidermom's will last a day of me being normal (sitting, standing, walking). Braided cinnabun will last a day despite me acting like a loon, play fighting, getting in group hugs, climbing over things, galivanting about the place, reading curled up in bed, etc. - it's not dependent on keeping an upright position and never bashing the hair stick/fork.

Hmm... tricky question. Depends on how you define "growing" - actively trying to get it longer? Or just not actively cutting it shorter?

My last cut (i.e. to get a shorter style rather than to trim) was nearly 20 years ago (to an awful long bob thing, having been a long-hair my entire life before that). I then grew it out to about TBL and then kept it about there due to a combination of not being terribly fussed about trimming and the fact that I get a false terminal a bit past TBL if I wear my hair loose 24/7 (which I used to). Then about 4.5 years ago I reached a ragged near-classic, realised my new job required daily updos, found LHC and decided, well, if I can't wear it loose and enjoy it that way, I'll wear it up and see how long I can get it. So, I trimmed back to TBL. 4.5 years later I'm about 2" past the bottom of knee. I did 2x trims of ~5" in that time and also some irregular S&D.

I'm now toying between microtrims (I had a really bad shed 2 years ago - from approx. 3 and 3/4" ponytail to 2" ponytail and though the thickness is slowly coming back what with that and the natural taper from my hairtype the ends are pretty thin) and laziness (go for broke! see if I can get ankle just through benign neglect!).

See above re. trimming. I'm not too unhappy with that decision. I have considerable taper (my ends are only a touch bigger diameter than a drinking straw) but it's even from top to tips (which is my personal opinion of attractive vs. unattractive taper - whether it's even or has big steps in it). I don't personally like blunt hems on very tapered hair and fairytale ends help with buns, so ... overall it's ok.

My immediate family all have long hair (both parents, siblings). Mine's the longest, though. ^_^

I just do S&C 2-3 times a week. No leave-ins, no deep treatments, no pre-poo anything. Nothing fancy whatsoever. (This may be my innate laziness...)

Shampoo I'm wavering between Boots Naturals (sulphate free, so less scalp/forehead dryness (I have a sulphate sensitivity) but it doesn't cleanse as well so I have to wash more frequently) vs. Pantene Ice Shine or Sheer Volume or other clear, low-ingredient Pantene (sulphate-containing, but cleanses better and (jury's out currently) may inhibit my tendancy towards seborrheic dermatitis). Recently, my most common shampoo has been Nizoral, though, for the reccurrent bouts of SD.

Conditioner, I've found my dream product - L'Oreal Full Restore 5. Amodimethicone and loads of protein FTW.

I make a turban out of a terry cloth bath/beach towel. After a while, take it down and detangle with my Bodyshop wide-toothed comb. Then either airdry (usual), braid/bun (if I need to be somewhere) or blow dry on cool/slightly warm (very rare - winter only).

Time depends on what I do and how efficient I'm being. Best possible drying time is ~1-1.5 hours and that's if I leave the turban on for 5-10 mins, immediately detangle then air dry loose whilst walking about (which aerates it, though it also tangles it). Slowest is >24 hours and that's if I leave the turban on for <5 mins, immediately detangle and braid/bun then leave the bun up all day, leave the braid in to sleep ... it'll still be quite damp in places when I re-style in the morning (though not damp the following morning). Intermediate drying times of hmmm... 1.5-4 hours at an absolute guess... occur if I leave the towel on longer (prevents aeration and ceases to absorb more water after about 10 mins on), don't detangle promptly (detangling breaks up the clumps, leaving greater surface area for aeration) or stay in one place after detangling (sitting/sleeping --> under layers don't dry quickly because they don't get much air contact).

cat11
June 27th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I love this thread, and it's inspiring just how many knee length members we have!! This is an extremely useful and interesting resource for someone like me who's goal is knee :) So much fantasizing about when I get there going on right now in my head!!

trolleypup
June 28th, 2015, 09:45 AM
That depends entirely on what I did prior...if it has been mostly up since the last detangle, as little as a few minutes, if I've gone (umm) days with it intermittently down, exposed to wind and tangling agents as much as a solid half hour? Detangling is always a two step process: finger detangle, fine toothed comb finish.
How long would it take to brush or comb if you had worn it down?
Assuming it started off detangled, and I was just just going about my daily duties without heavy wind, exposure to dust or other tangling agents, or things like getting hot and sweaty or rubbing it against chair backs, add a few minutes.
The actual extra time required when I wash is about 20 minutes...but I love my hot water.
Do you CO wash?
Tried it once or twice...caused excessive scalp anger. I was WO for a while, but I couldn't keep up with the twice a week routine.
About once a week, sometimes quite a bit longer, eventually my scalp rebels.
Never.
Do you use cones?
Not currently. I don't really like the feel of my hair with cones in.
Benign neglect. And don't cut.
Down the back for washing, split either side around the front from conditioning the length.
Usually clip it at the nape, bring it around my right side, hold it up so I can finger detangle with my left (etc.), when the length is detangled, take the clip out, comb over the top as far as my arm can reach down my back, reclip, work out any tangles, comb finish.
Single stick lazy wrap. Holds well, non-twisted, so less bun waves, super fast to put up, and falls out completely when the stick is pulled.
A couple decades, around terminal now, but gaining length very slowly. Been at calf length for a few years now.
S&D only, noone else in my family has long hair.
Months? But I also use both as body wash as inclination strikes me.
Clipped ponytail once it got past mid-back, started bunning around tailbone or classic.
S&D only. Almost always myself, although there have been mutual S&D with the girlfriend now and then.
Hours. Squeeze out loose water, turban with a microfiber towel for 15 minutes, air dry.
I don't, I can't imagine going to the trouble to keep it up.

rowie
June 20th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Finally I can contribute to this thread since I just reached this milestone two or three months ago. :joy:

I finger comb upside down in a forward bent position to move my sheds halfway down the length for up to 10 minutes. Next I'll stand up and hold half the length into a ponytail in front of me and collect the sheds with my ginormous widetooth comb which can take an additional 6-8 minutes since I treat my hair like fine lace.

I don't ever wear my hair down unless it's for a very special occasion. If I did it would be almost the same time answer from question 1.

20-25 minutes depending on if I'm going to be doing a deep conditioning treatment.

Do you CO wash?
CO wash makes my scalp flake because I sort of have seborric dermatitis.

Once a month for entire length. Daily misting of my scalp with my own herbal tonic recipe. I sometimes will do water only on my scalp if it gets too itchy or super sweaty.

When my hair needs it or if I feel like the ends are dry.

Do you use cones?
Yes! I LOVE CONES :heartbeat since I have very coarse like horse hair texture. :rollin: The shampoo "Mane n'tail was made for my horse hair like texture. I guess that is what I have in common with horses. :o

-Learn to embrace and love your own hair.

-Sacrifices like learning to love living a lifestyle of bunning your hair every single day. A very strong commitment and determination is needed for a long time if you want to grow your hair to this length.

-Learn to focus on other important things in your life if you are in a growth stall, and the next time you check or pay attention to your hair it will be this knee length. This is what happened to me.

meteor
June 24th, 2017, 09:00 AM
* How long does it take to brush or comb?

15-20 min, but I only detangle every 2-4 days or so. I undo my braided bun and detangle each strand of the braid separately (2 over each shoulder, 1 down my back) to make it easier and prevent re-tangling. I use a WT comb and no brushes.

* How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?

Probably longer, but it depends on what I was doing that day, conditions and how long it's been down for.

* How long does it take to wash?

30-50 min (depending on how I condition)

* Do you CO wash?

No. But I can sometimes use 2-in-1 conditioning shampoo for travel, when I know I won't have much time to wash.

* How often do you wash your hair?

Once/twice a week - scalp-only wash. Once every 2-5 weeks - full wash with heavy conditioning.

* How often do you oil your hair?

Depends on hair's needs, season, how much time I have... I oil pre-wash during dry seasons and add oil to ends when they feel a bit grabby or dry. I might add oil to conditioner or do an oil rinse on an ad hoc basis sometimes.

* Do you use cones?

Yes, most of the time. This was less important when my hair was shorter, but the difference in detangling, how much cones can reduce drag on combs is quite noticeable to me, usually.

* Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?

Leave it to its own devices as much as possible. Maybe don't fuss with it too much (keep manipulation minimal) and protect it from harsh environments, if you know your hair to be fragile.

Other questions that popped up later:

* How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?

First - straight down my back. Once I got it clean that way, I have to flip it upside down to get to the rest of my scalp. Then I might flip it back again and put it over my shoulder to condition. This causes some tangling, but I can't seem to reach all my scalp otherwise.

* How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what?

To detangle, I use my left hand to tightly grasp the length around hip level and pull my ends up so I can reach them with my comb with my right hand. As I mentioned earlier, I separate the thickness into at least 3 strands (which I will later English-braid and then bun), so I do this detangling to each strand separately - 2 over each shoulder and one down my back.

* Also, is it easy to style?

Yes, it's easy to style. I can finally do buns that stay in much better (with added wrapping from added length), so my braided buns are more stable can even stay through workout routines pretty well now.

* So what do you do with your hair at night, what works the best?

Previous day's updo. I remove hair stick/fork from my braided bun and leave the updo as is and I cover it with a silk scarf loosely. By the morning, the braid is usually still pretty much intact.

* I also was wondering what is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?

Braided bun. Originally, because that was the only thing that could coral my thickness and hold hair up, and now because I realize that these buns are way better at preventing tangling, too.
Currently, I like Braided L-Infinity, because it's perfect for stabilizing my current length with maximum weight distribution, but I liked braided cinnabun and braided LWB when it was shorter.

* How long have you all been growing your hair &/or how long have you had it at the length it is now?

Not that long actually, and I'm tall. Just a few years... Maybe 4-5 years between BSL and now and I've had more cut off that I wanted at some point in between.

* Did you grow it with or with out trimming? And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?

I did have a pretty large-ish trim or two in the process, but I don't like trimming, and go a couple years without trims no problem now and no splits. I had people making mistakes, cutting off too much and layering when I didn't want it, so I try not to do that often.

* What shampoos & conditioners do you guys use for all that beautiful hair?

I don't really have holy grail products. I like to try different products and I don't like depending on a particular brand. I go for more clarifying formulas when my hair needs it (e.g. build-up) and for more conditioning ones when it's feeling dry.

* How many washes do you get out of a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and how big is the bottle?

A big bottle of conditioner can last me 4-6 washes. Shampoo typically lasts longer (10-12 washes?), and I dilute it with water before I apply it.

* At what length did you start tying it up most of the time?

When I joined the LHC and started focusing on growing it out. Probably since waist length or so - it was something like a folded (pinned up) braid at the time.

* Who cuts your hair? Do you go to a trusted salon or does a friend/partner do it?

Next time, it will probably be me. I don't trust salons anymore, that's for sure. Even detangling (dense brushes?) and washing (in a tiny bowl?) were just not working for me there even at much shorter lengths and I don't think they are typically experienced enough with handling really long hair.

* Do they have to make you stand on a chair to cut it?

They made me stand.

* How long does it take to your hair to dry after washing & what is your drying routine?

About half-a-day if it's completely down. First I wrap length in a towel (lengthwise) like a tube/snake and put it around my shoulders. I might put another towel on scalp area, too. After a few minutes I take off the towel and I like to leave hair totally down (to speed up drying time) and sit in front of a computer for the next few hours with some towels around to soak up the water.

rowie
June 24th, 2017, 10:53 AM
thanks meteor for adding the "later questions." I didn't realize this thread has evolved since I last checked it when it first came into place. Interesting how you'd keep your hair in a braided bun for several days until you need to detangle and collect your sheds. I might have to try this and make it work for with my daily misting. I can see it working I guess. I might try just doing a simple braid upside down and then coil it on top of my head and use a stick to anchor it in place. This will give me the opportunity for me to be able to manipulate so that i'm able to mist my scalp daily. ;)

Other questions that popped up later:

* How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?

My head is the only part of the body that gets a separate wash from my body. I do wash my body daily, but I wash my entire hair length once a month which is why this routine works for me. I do mist my scalp daily with my own recipe since it has natural organic ingredients to help keep my seborrheic dermatitis at bay. Anyways, I have a built in bench in my shower area and so I would sit on that bench and I would bend forward while sitting and let my hair go into a bucket with nice fresh cold water. I have a shower wand to refill the bucket for when I need to rinse off shampoo, conditioners (deep conditioning treatments,etc.).

* How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what?

Again, I bend forward and let my hair drop in an upside down position. While I'm bending forward I move sheds from my scalp using fingers only down to the halfway point. The second part is to gather my hair and hold it like a pony tail in front of me. Next I stand up, while one of my hand is holding it like a pony tail, I use the other hand to use a wide tooth comb to collect and detangle my hair. This time I will start from the bottom and work my way up detangling and collecting sheds.

* Also, is it easy to style?

So much easier. The longer it grows the easier it is for me since my ruly stubborn wild hairs in the past are now tamed! Just bun on my head, insert stick and forget about it for the entire day. I just repeat the process again everyday.

* So what do you do with your hair at night, what works the best?

I do not remove my daily updo. Instead, I will put on a silk doo rag made for long hair. The doo rag has two ribbons to tighten around my head so it does not ever leave my head. I'm a restless sleeper so this is needed. The doo rag is like stocking thin so my scalp can breath while i'm sleeping.

* I also was wondering what is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?

Right now, I love wrapping my hair around my hand, stick a stick to hold it on top of my head. I don't think the bun I do has a name, it's just what my hands naturally do to my hair.

* How long have you all been growing your hair &/or how long have you had it at the length it is now?

I'm horrible at math.:rollin: Since 2011 I had a buzzed military shaved hair cut. I'm 5'11. I am almost 6 feet tall! I realized tall people can grow long hair too. I always feared that tall people like me couldn't grow long hair because I felt like it was more common to see short people growing very long hair. I'm at peace with this now that I've reached knee. :)

* Did you grow it with or with out trimming?

Since I buzzed my hair in 2011, I've never had a proper trim. Only kind of trimming I do is search and destroy. But I rarely every do this, and I don't keep track of this. If my ends feel tangly, then I might do a length SD, but if my ends are fine I don't do anything. It's more situational for me, and depends on the condition of my hair. I'm not obsessive about trimming since I dislike it for being too tedious. I don't worry about this since my hair is very coarse and resilient to a lot of things. I can see how people with fragile hair can be obsessive with trimming because of the nature of their hair though.

* What shampoos & conditioners do you guys use for all that beautiful hair?

I like to try new coney conditioners, coney serums, etc...

* How many washes do you get out of a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and how big is the bottle?

A big pump bottle of V05 Kiwi clarifying shampoo can last me almost a year. I use this clarifying shampoo a lot of times to clean my hair tools such as my wide tooth comb.

* At what length did you start tying it up most of the time?

The moment my hair can do updos, which was shoulder length for me. Ever since shoulder length hair I wore my hair up everyday! I started early to enforce a good habit of wearing my hair up everyday since I knew "classic and beyond" required a lifestyle of everyday bunning for safety reasons.

* Who cuts your hair? Do you go to a trusted salon or does a friend/partner do it?

No one, but me! Although someday, I want to invest in a creaclip and have my SO blunt trim it for me if I ever decide to do this in the future.

* Do they have to make you stand on a chair to cut it?

I have not been to a salon yet. I would never go to a regular Salon. If I ever decide to try a Salon it will be the George Michael, Madora salon for long hair in New York. Yes I will fly to New York just to do this if I ever want to experience a full Salon treatment.

* How long does it take to your hair to dry after washing & what is your drying routine?

Turbin dry for 1-2 hours, the rest air dry, which in total takes me half a day.

meteor
June 24th, 2017, 11:16 AM
thanks meteor for adding the "later questions." I didn't realize this thread has evolved since I last checked it when it first came into place. Interesting how you'd keep your hair in a braided bun for several days until you need to detangle and collect your sheds. I might have to try this and make it work for with my daily misting. I can see it working I guess. I might try just doing a simple braid upside down and then coil it on top of my head and use a stick to anchor it in place. This will give me the opportunity for me to be able to manipulate so that i'm able to mist my scalp daily. ;)

Thanks, rowie! :D
Yeah, I really like braided buns because you can usually reuse the same braids later in a different style. Especially if you ever do multiple braids or accent braids or anything complex - they tend to stay in even longer. ;) The silk doo rag you use will probably help preserve it all pretty well overnight.

And by the way, you are really lucky to have a built-in bench in your shower area - that must really help with the weight of wet hair. I'll be honest, I often skimp on conditioning or switch to pre-poo oiling and/or conditioning just because I can't stand dealing with all that weight of wet hair in the shower.

Oh and I apologize, I missed a question that was added later as the thread evolved:

* Do any knee lengths dye their hair?

I personally don't. The most I could consider at this length is dying the very tips with a temporary dye, if I feel like it at some point, otherwise I simply can't imagine being able to deal with the hassle of dying so much hair. (I still have some ancient blonde highlights on my ends, so that adds enough interest for my updos for the time being.)

rowie
June 24th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks, rowie! :D
Yeah, I really like braided buns because you can usually reuse the same braids later in a different style. Especially if you ever do multiple braids or accent braids or anything complex - they tend to stay in even longer. ;) The silk doo rag you use will probably help preserve it all pretty well overnight.

And by the way, you are really lucky to have a built-in bench in your shower area - that must really help with the weight of wet hair. I'll be honest, I often skimp on conditioning or switch to pre-poo oiling and/or conditioning just because I can't stand dealing with all that weight of wet hair in the shower.

Oh and I apologize, I missed a question that was added later as the thread evolved:

I personally don't. The most I could consider at this length is dying the very tips with a temporary dye, if I feel like it at some point, otherwise I simply can't imagine being able to deal with the hassle of dying so much hair. (I still have some ancient blonde highlights on my ends, so that adds enough interest for my updos for the time being.)

These days i'm trying to find ways to minimize manipulations of my hair as much and so your tips will add to this. Thanks :blossom:! I'm the same way like you in that I cannot fully mist my scalp. Places on my scalp I cannot mist i'd usually just mist my hand and rub my personal made tonic to my scalp.

Since mid thigh length, I was able to finally utilize the benches in my shower area. I figured since I decided to just let my hair grow I'd start seeking ways to develop habits of washing my hair using a bucket. Since reading on Gossamar's wash routines, I figured I'd start developing those wash habits for those that have floor length and beyond. A lot of them seem to use a bucket or some kind of wash basin. The bucket I bought is just one of those ginormous planters you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The bench really helps supports my back because of the added weight I get when my hair is wet, and I love I can get a very gentle wash my hair now with clothes on. Since I'm sitting down I can really take my time to be extra gentle. Here is a glimpse of my shower area:

http://i.imgur.com/9pHgtmXl.jpg

Nice thing is this shower area is meant for two, and so i'm never in the way in case my SO decides to join me.

The only kind of dye i've tried on my hair was henna. I've used henna until I reached waist length. Beyond waist i've stopped since yemeni henna was discontinued. I miss henna! It always made my scalp feel so healthy and I never flaked until it was time to reapply henna. I did henna not for the color but for the health benefits it had for the scalp. at the time.

meteor
June 24th, 2017, 12:24 PM
^ That's really cool, rowie! :) I know what you mean about the bucket - slathering on conditioner sometimes feels like it doesn't really get in there well enough, so I sometimes just dunk hair (at least the last foot or so) in a bucket filled with water and conditioner and that really helps distribute and massage conditioner in better, but it's a pain to crouch, so that bench sounds like a perfect solution! :thumbsup:

Ophidian
June 24th, 2017, 07:14 PM
...:popcorn:

Just lurking and taking notes. Thanks for the inspiration :flower:

Fia
June 25th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Chiming in from a shortie here (just MBL at the moment). My GM hairdresser advocates diluting the Cream Rinse in cool water and pour through the hair to get to each and every strand and then lightly rinse it out, instead of the usual way of applying conditioner to the hair and then rinsing out. It's fascinating to see the similarity to what those with extra long lengths have found to be the best way of applying conditioner.

lapushka
June 25th, 2017, 09:20 AM

Nice thing is this shower area is meant for two, and so i'm never in the way in case my SO decides to join me.

What if you put the bucket on the bench and just wash bent over with the handheld showerhead?

ephemeri
June 25th, 2017, 01:07 PM
These days i'm trying to find ways to minimize manipulations of my hair as much and so your tips will add to this. Thanks :blossom:! I'm the same way like you in that I cannot fully mist my scalp. Places on my scalp I cannot mist i'd usually just mist my hand and rub my personal made tonic to my scalp.

Since mid thigh length, I was able to finally utilize the benches in my shower area. I figured since I decided to just let my hair grow I'd start seeking ways to develop habits of washing my hair using a bucket. Since reading on Gossamar's wash routines, I figured I'd start developing those wash habits for those that have floor length and beyond. A lot of them seem to use a bucket or some kind of wash basin. The bucket I bought is just one of those ginormous planters you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The bench really helps supports my back because of the added weight I get when my hair is wet, and I love I can get a very gentle wash my hair now with clothes on. Since I'm sitting down I can really take my time to be extra gentle. Here is a glimpse of my shower area:

The only kind of dye i've tried on my hair was henna. I've used henna until I reached waist length. Beyond waist i've stopped since yemeni henna was discontinued. I miss henna! It always made my scalp feel so healthy and I never flaked until it was time to reapply henna. I did henna not for the color but for the health benefits it had for the scalp. at the time.

Sorry for going a bit OT but awesome shower!!! I love stone walls. :crush:

ArienEllariel
June 25th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Agreed! That shower looks just lovely!

meteor
June 27th, 2017, 09:15 AM
^ I concur, beautiful shower! :agree:

Oh, and I have another question:

* Were there any practices (related to hairstyling, treatments, etc) that you used to like but had to abandon as the hair was getting longer?

For me, I certainly had to simplify the updos I do. Usually, I am too lazy to do accent braids at this length (though I love them so much) or even more than 1 braid for a style now.
Also, I don't experiment with treatments as much as I used to, because:
1) It gets expensive - you'd need a lot more of those Ayurvedic herbs or whatever to cover the full length now.
2) The fear of chunks/powders sticking around and not washing out easily and the fear of tangling is real. I think it was Igor who mentioned that she doesn't experiment with putting anything on hair that can't be easily washed out with a simple CO-wash, and I must say, I'm pretty much in that boat now.
I am also a lot less into any leave-in products (from leave-in creams to oils/serums and certainly gels or any other hold products), simply because I want to minimize washing and build-up and lint-magnet factor that leave-ins tend to have.
I think I definitely got way more conservative and streamlined the haircare to bare bones.

TheBoldLife
June 27th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Burning curiousity: Have you ever weighted your hair? :magic:

likelikepenny
June 27th, 2017, 12:54 PM

I know gossamer has and she's beyond floor length .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7yZrmLWdg

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
June 27th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Speaking of weighting one's hair, here's another longhair, Aliia Nasyrova who claims her hair to weigh 2 kilograms :)
https://www.google.pl/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4323282/amp/Rapunzel-fan-Aliia-Nasyrova-hair-90-inches-long.html

meteor
June 27th, 2017, 02:05 PM

I don't have a scale to weigh it properly, sorry.

But there are a few people who measured their hair for science! ;) :

Hair Experiments:

1. Weight of hair:
- Gossamer: https://youtu.be/YW7yZrmLWdg and http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-137282.html (Dry braid ~350 g, ~12 oz, ~.77 lbs)
- Lucy's Corsetry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XduqBu1s44Y&nohtml5=False (Dry braid (48'' of hair) ~ 225 g (0.5 lbs), and Wet braid (not dripping wet) ~ 350 g (0.75 lbs), so the hair absorbed about 55% of its dry weight in water)
- Wusel: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-137282.html (~70 g)

TheBoldLife
June 27th, 2017, 02:40 PM
I know gossamer has and she's beyond floor length .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7yZrmLWdg

Not as much as I'd have thought! :) Thanks!

trolleypup
June 28th, 2017, 07:23 PM
I don't have a scale to weigh it properly, sorry.

But there are a few people who measured their hair for science! ;) :
I seem to remember something on the order of 150 grams.

MusicalSpoons
December 13th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Bumping this because it's interesting; I need to come back and read all through (and then hopefully answer the Qs myself).

TatsuOni
December 17th, 2021, 12:01 PM
A few minutes? Sometimes more.

It would depend on where and when I would wear it down. I usually wear it down for Christmas and beacause it's little moving around it doesn't make a big difference. If I wore it down for activities? Perhaps forever :lol:

What do we count as washing? I put in a homemade hair mask and then sauna. The acutal washing. Uhh 10-15 minutes? I don't really know acutally.

Do you CO wash?
Yes.

Maybe once a month. Sometimes less and at most every two weeks, but i rarely wash that often.

Duting the winter I put oil in my lengths several times a week. Duting the summer it's less.

Do you use cones?
No.

Be patient, have fun while enjoying the journey and find out what works for YOUR hair!

Over the shoulders.

First over both shoulders and lifting the ends. Then I have the hair behind my back but lif the ends to the front to reach them. It's easy to style.

A Tatsilus bun or a cinnabun.

14,5 years now. I've been maintaining at knee for a year to thicken up my ends.

For most of the time I trimmed a little bit twice a year, but with a lot of S&D. My maternal great grandma had hair that was somewhere between classic and knee.

A regular conditioner bottle at 1 L. When I used it for all of my hair I got four uses. Way too expensive! I now use liquid conditioner on my scalp and a conditioner bar for my lengths that lasts forever.

As soon as it was long enought to get into a ponytail! I've never really liked wearing my hair loose.

I do it myself.

Six hours. A few times a year I use a hair dryer on a cool setting, but otherwise I air dry after using a microfiber towel.

Yes with henna and indigo.

AmaryllisRed
December 17th, 2021, 02:50 PM
10 minutes maybe

I wear it down around the house regularly. If I wore it out in wind, probably 30-60 minutes.

Maybe 5 minutes.

Do you CO wash?
No

Once or twice a week.

Never

Do you use cones?
Yes

Don't cut it, don't fry it.

Straight back

Sometimes over both shoulders, sometimes over one. It is easy enough to style out of the way, but I wish it were easier to do more complicated styles.

A braided LWB or just a braid.

Seven years since I chopped, five years since I cut.

Did you grow it with or without trimming? And has anyone else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?
No trims, and not to my knowledge. My daughter's is classic length but she's short. ;)

More shampoos than conditions but I don't keep track of how many. I only buy them a couple of times a year.

Pretty much always, even at shoulder.

Nobody.

How long does it take your hair to dry after washing & what is your drying routine?
I go to sleep with it wet. It probably takes 10-12 hours.

Do any knee lengths dye their hair?
Don't know. I don't.