PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Cinnabun

Kelli Kat
September 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Everytime I try to do a cinnabun I end up with a bee butt. How do I keep it flat? Is BSL even long enough to do a proper cinnabun?

HintOfMint
September 12th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Are you using an elastic/hair tie to hold it up? The squeezing may be contributing to the bee-butt effect. Instead, try using pins to hold it. Bobby pins, u-pins or spin pins (my personal favorite) would all work well.

tanya222
September 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Everytime I try to do a cinnabun I end up with a bee butt. How do I keep it flat? Is BSL even long enough to do a proper cinnabun?

I'll be watching this thread. I have the same problem, and I realize my hair is alot longer than BSL, but I just can't get a nice flat cinnabun either :rolleyes:

sparkle'n'bling
September 12th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I keep the bun flat with my hand as I coil the hair around it. Twist the hair tightly, but make sure you aren't coiling too tightly, as that will lead to a bee butt bun. Bsl should be long enough for a cinnamon bun.

Kelli Kat
September 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Are you using an elastic/hair tie to hold it up? The squeezing may be contributing to the bee-butt effect. Instead, try using pins to hold it. Bobby pins, u-pins or spin pins (my personal favorite) would all work well.

I don't use hair ties or elastics. I put in one bobby pin to hold the loose end and then I put in a fork, stick or amish pins.

Angeletti
September 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I keep the bun flat with my hand as I coil the hair around it. Twist the hair tightly, but make sure you aren't coiling too tightly, as that will lead to a bee butt bun. Bsl should be long enough for a cinnamon bun.
This is how I do it as well, when it's laying flat against your hand while wrapping it makes sure none of the coils go beneath the previous ones.

Anje
September 13th, 2010, 08:11 AM
As others have said, you're best off pinning it, rather than trying to secure it with a scrunchy. After a certain point, you have to start getting creative even with sticks if you want to keep the coils flat. (For me, there was a point about hip length when I decided there were just too many coils and it didn't hold as securely as it once did. At that point, it's definitely worth seeking out some other buns, like Nautilus and Celtic Knots and Infinities.)

Stagecoach
September 13th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Try switching your holding methods. I can NOT make a flat cinna bun with sticks or forks as support. But, if I pin each coil it will stay flat and hold VERY well.

I demonstrate this in my YouTube video. (http://www.youtube.com/user/PrairieSunrise?feature=mhum#p/u/6/GMfwBQxunmw)

In2wishin
September 13th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Like other posters I flatten the bun with my hand as I coil. I have been able to do a cinnabun since my hair was APL so your BSL shouldn't be a problem.

My exact method is:

1) gather the hair where I want the bun to be

2) loosely twist the part of the hair closest to the scalp and do the first coil of the bun

3) place the hand on top of the coil and continue to loosely twist and coil, making sure that each coil lays next to the previous one.

4) tuck the ends under. make sure you do not pull them

5) turn the bun about 1/2 turn the opposite way to loosen it if you want a softer look

6) secure with 2 jumbo bobby pins or 2 hair scroos

heidihug
September 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Kelli Kat - it looks like you have finer and straight-ish hair, like me. For me hair scroos won't work - they stick out and show through; I know others with thicker hair do get great results from them.

I have worn my hair in a cinnabun since it was BSL, and the secret to a good cinnabun for us finer and thinner haired people is to coil carefully, firmly, and pin often. I coil near the crown of my head (the lower it is, the more likely it will come loose). After the first coil I put a Good Hair Days pin in to secure it firmly to my head. The again on the second coil, and so on. I have a lot of taper, so I tuck the last coil underneath the edge of the bun, and pin all around. Really secure, and nice low profile.

Best of luck, I hope some of the advice in this thread helps you!

Kelli Kat
September 13th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions.