PDA

View Full Version : Failed Experiment

see_turtle
September 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I'd read here on the forum that by only combing my hair in the shower with conditioner I could accurately determine my hair type. The experiment, however, was a titanic failure! After about two hours post-shower, my hair became a gigantic frizzy mess. I ended up having to borrow a friends brush after I arrived at her place in order to tame the beast!

My disappointment should be obvious. My hair type is extremely bizarre, ranging from straight to wavy and always tending towards frizz. Typing my hair would help immensely in solving my control problems. Any advice?

If it helps, my hair falls between APL and BSL and about 3 inches from bra-strap. My goal is waist. Thanks for the help.

Gabriel
September 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC! To type your hair you should probably set aside a few hours to let your freshly washed hair dry completely in order to determine your hair type.

To really get your hair type it's advised to do a clarifying wash. No conditioner and no touching it with a towel. Just let it drip dry on it's own.

After it's all dry you can snap a picture and then re wet and add your usual conditioner/styling agents. No need to walk around with your hair minus conditioner!

:) Good luck!

ravenreed
September 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
My hair is sneaky. If I comb it when it is wet, it mostly looks straight. However, if I let it dry after using the method Gabriel described above, its wavy nature is apparent. Since it acts wavy even when it looks straight, it explains a lot.

Roseate
September 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I'd read here on the forum that by only combing my hair in the shower with conditioner I could accurately determine my hair type. The experiment, however, was a titanic failure! After about two hours post-shower, my hair became a gigantic frizzy mess.

Hairtyping isn't supposed to be pretty! (Well, maybe it's ok for the 1a's out there. It's kinda messy for wavy/curlies!)

I hated typing my hair, I only did it once and I never plan on doing it again. My hair really needs a leave-in conditioner, or oil, or something on it; my naked, drip-dried hair is indeed a gigantic frizzy mess. But it's good information to have, so it's worth doing once.

Give it another try, set aside a time when you don't have to look presentable, and go for it. Wash, air-dry, don't touch, take pictures to show us, and then you'll know.

spidermom
September 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I was going to say the same as Roseate -- just post the picture even if you don't like it.

GoddesJourney
September 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I agree with posting pictures. The frizziness can be due to shampoo. Also, those of us with relatively straight hair that tends to wave and frizz when it feels like it usually go for 1c/2a. You don't get the nice waves, but it's not actually straight so it always looks just a little bit messy. CO helped me with this frizzy, messy thing. It seems to make it a little straighter.