PDA

View Full Version : ~~I'm in love!!~~

BlackfootHair
May 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
With my natural hair color! It's amazing how damaging your hair beyond belief can make you appreciate your natural color so much. I haven't been on here for a while, but I had my hair retrimmed a few weeks ago by Great Clips...It's pretty short in the back, and my "bangs" are just meeting my top lip. I have layers all over as well. The more and more my natural grows in the more excited I become. Just today I was in the bathroom at work washing my hands and I looked at my roots in the mirror...I thought "WOW! Look how sparkly and shiny it looks!" Of course it's because it's 100% healthy...not touched with bleach or other chemicals. I've thought about it, and I've decided I will get another haircut, with even shorter layers. I don't want to butch it all off, but have a cute but short layered cut. With BLUNT layers...not whispy layers.

I debated on doing small trims, but it will be much more fun to watch it grow than to keep trimming every couple of weeks. Plus, the shorter I cut it, the more old junk I cut off. The less junk, the higher the percentage of natural color versus junk. I know, I 'm rambing. I'm really excited plus I've had three cups of coffee. :)

In the back of my hair at the bottom it feels really really soft. That's because there is hardly any damage and it's mostly my natural. I want more of my hair to feel like that. On the very top of my head there is so much breakage and yuckyness that I just want to cut it. That's not hair. It's JUNK.

The more my natural color grows in, the more curl will cover my head...I miss my curls....

I've been using Pantene's Women of Color shampoo, conditioner, and deep treatment. It's made my hair feel a lot better.

It's weird...but I've been feeling extremely proud of my Irish ancestry...I've been listening to more Celtic music lately too. Generally Irish are thought to have curly red hair. (At least that's how I've always thought, and all the Irish Barbies tend to have that hair...[yes, I've been buying more collector Barbies]). My grandfather told me that I have their side of the family's hair...thick and curly...and we have a lot of Irish in us. I've been feeling quite proud of my natural color of hair and eyes...maybe it's my way of making sure to leave the color well alone!

Sorry I'm rambling...I just wanted to share my excitement!!! :poot::poot::poot::poot::poot:

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Yay! Keep growing out that natural color!

jojo
May 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
hi BlackfootHair,
I have often wondered how you was getting on. It took me 24 years to realise my hair was much better in condition, colour and texture without the dye on. I did all you have done and broke my heart over having to cut damage out, my last big cut was 2005 and since then not a drop of dye has touched my head; that is a record for me!

I am so happy that you are liking your natural colour (im from Irish heritage too!) and i hope you get to meet your long hair goal. I look forward to watching your progress.

Don't be a stranger eh?

love and best wishes Jojo xxx

alligatorbaby23
May 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Oh dear BFH, you know we will support you through your struggles to become the long hair on the outside that you are inside!! Glad you love it, keep nurturing it, and it will only get better!
~hugs~
alligator

cutastrophe
May 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
With my natural hair color! It's amazing how damaging your hair beyond belief can make you appreciate your natural color so much. I haven't been on here for a while, but I had my hair retrimmed a few weeks ago by Great Clips...It's pretty short in the back, and my "bangs" are just meeting my top lip. I have layers all over as well. The more and more my natural grows in the more excited I become. Just today I was in the bathroom at work washing my hands and I looked at my roots in the mirror...I thought "WOW! Look how sparkly and shiny it looks!" Of course it's because it's 100% healthy...not touched with bleach or other chemicals. I've thought about it, and I've decided I will get another haircut, with even shorter layers. I don't want to butch it all off, but have a cute but short layered cut. With BLUNT layers...not whispy layers.

I debated on doing small trims, but it will be much more fun to watch it grow than to keep trimming every couple of weeks. Plus, the shorter I cut it, the more old junk I cut off. The less junk, the higher the percentage of natural color versus junk. I know, I 'm rambing. I'm really excited plus I've had three cups of coffee. :)

In the back of my hair at the bottom it feels really really soft. That's because there is hardly any damage and it's mostly my natural. I want more of my hair to feel like that. On the very top of my head there is so much breakage and yuckyness that I just want to cut it. That's not hair. It's JUNK.

The more my natural color grows in, the more curl will cover my head...I miss my curls....

I've been using Pantene's Women of Color shampoo, conditioner, and deep treatment. It's made my hair feel a lot better.

It's weird...but I've been feeling extremely proud of my Irish ancestry...I've been listening to more Celtic music lately too. Generally Irish are thought to have curly red hair. (At least that's how I've always thought, and all the Irish Barbies tend to have that hair...[yes, I've been buying more collector Barbies]). My grandfather told me that I have their side of the family's hair...thick and curly...and we have a lot of Irish in us. I've been feeling quite proud of my natural color of hair and eyes...maybe it's my way of making sure to leave the color well alone!

Sorry I'm rambling...I just wanted to share my excitement!!! :poot::poot::poot::poot::poot:

LOL, that's hilarious. Well I'm a fellow coffee drinking, growing-out-chemical dye, Irish girl myself! I've only got 1-2 inches of virgin roots so far. It's going to be a long and bumpy road... but will be worth it in the end.

Cheers! :beerchug:

birthmarkie
May 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Congratulations! Loving your natural hair color is so much fun. I think you have a lovely color there yourself and if it feels like "you" than it is hard to argue with that.

maskedrose
May 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hurray for Irish ancestry! I swear, I always feel more at peace with everything (including myself) when I immerse myself in my heritage - the music, the wisdom, the ritual....It makes me happy :)

P.S. I'm so glad you are happy with your virgin color! Just think of how gorgeous it will be in a year or two when those thick curls are falling down your back...

Lixie
May 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
I remember reading about your recent dye problems, glad to hear you're really enjoying your natural colour and texture. It sounds lovely. :)

Sofoulee
May 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I feel the exact same way! I just posted a picture of my hair when it's straight, and I could actually see the hair color!! I love yours, it's gorgeous.

I love it when we all love ourselves. :) < a totally silly comment, but completely true.

sandrak
May 23rd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Congratulations! I know what you mean about loving your natural color. I have about 4in. or so of virgin hair. It is shiny and very healthy although there are a some grays mixed in.

BlackfootHair
May 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hurray for Irish ancestry! I swear, I always feel more at peace with everything (including myself) when I immerse myself in my heritage - the music, the wisdom, the ritual....It makes me happy :)

P.S. I'm so glad you are happy with your virgin color! Just think of how gorgeous it will be in a year or two when those thick curls are falling down your back...

I feel more at peace too...I think it's because we gain a sense of self.

Oh my gosh...I had a vision of what my hair will look like after reading your comment and it made me squeal! :) NO coffee today...just adrenaline from the Gazelle edge... haha...

BlackfootHair
May 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Congratulations! I know what you mean about loving your natural color. I have about 4in. or so of virgin hair. It is shiny and very healthy although there are a some grays mixed in.

YES! I know what you mean...I have some whites. They aren't even gray...they are white! And I've noticed some of my hair strands look like a platinum blonde...which makes me think they are on their way to white as well!!! The white ones are kind of hidden under the other hair, so I won't freak out too much...but if they start sprouting like dandelions...well...I'm going to have to work on why I love the whites too. Right now I don't mind them because they are so rare...it kind of makes them special...but...if they start taking over my head like Creeping Charlie....well....I don't know!!

Do you think the platinum blonde hairs are turning white?? Because even though natural color is a blend of different shades...my overall shade is medium brown...with red pigment...it doesn't look red, in fact I always thought it looked ash....but my hair always pulled red when I used hair color. When I was little it was a golden dark blonde. At my hair line there are a lot of blonde baby hairs. Also, when I was in middle school and such my hair was a golden warm brown from all the sun. It was long then.

Second Grade:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/school%20pictures/2ndGrade.jpg

5th Grade:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/school%20pictures/5thGrade.jpg

6th Grade:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/school%20pictures/6thGrade.jpg

9th Grade:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/school%20pictures/9thGrade.jpg

Evie
May 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM
wow - I love that series of photos...your natural colour is going to look great.

I'm currently going through a similar thing...letting my natural ash blonde grow out from having it henndigoed dark....once it is obvious where the demarcation line is, I'll post pics...

I cut off a load of 'junk' too, to a similar length...whilst I miss the length, it will grow, and then be natural again....YAY

Mitzy
May 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Wow, that's a really pretty and unusual color, BFH!! Almost exactly the same as my twin daughters hair!! See, now one of them keeps hers dyed black like you were doing, but man is it a pita! It does look really striking, which I guess was the idea. She is an actress and with the black hair, white skin and blue, blue eyes she certainly stands out. I told her she should apply to be a Snow White at Disneyland. (They live in Los Angeles.)
Don't you wish you had that 6th grade hair back, sometimes?

intothemist1999
May 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM
With my natural hair color!

Ok, what have you done with the REAL BlackfootHair??!! :D

Electronika
May 24th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Natural hair is the sexiest. The shine, the texture the color - no man made anything can produce that, you go girll!

fatmoogas
May 24th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I love my Irish ancestry.

BlackfootHair
May 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Wow, that's a really pretty and unusual color, BFH!! Almost exactly the same as my twin daughters hair!! See, now one of them keeps hers dyed black like you were doing, but man is it a pita! It does look really striking, which I guess was the idea. She is an actress and with the black hair, white skin and blue, blue eyes she certainly stands out. I told her she should apply to be a Snow White at Disneyland. (They live in Los Angeles.)
Don't you wish you had that 6th grade hair back, sometimes?

That's interesting about your daughters. And yes, the 6th grade hair is something to look at for inspiration. I had it once, I'll have it again. :)

BlackfootHair
May 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Ok, what have you done with the REAL BlackfootHair??!! :D

hahaha....Yeah, I know...sometimes I wonder too. hehehe. :p I think I'm just excited. Buying two Irish Barbies to ground myself, and some other Barbies with light brown hair that looks close to my natural color helps too. :)

BlackfootHair
May 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Natural hair is the sexiest. The shine, the texture the color - no man made anything can produce that, you go girll!

I'm going to keep reminding myself that every time I think I want to color my hair again. Natural is the best. :)

kwaniesiam
May 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Congrats! :cheer: I too am growing out my natural color, after not seeing it for almost 5 years (okay, so that's a lot when you're my age...) I don't know if I like it yet, hopefully I will just as much as you love yours.

Curlsgirl
May 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Oh very pretty! Glad you are back too! I am also very proud of my Irish ancestry. I recently went to an Irish Festival in Dollywood and the Irish dancers ALL had that beautiful long, wavy/curly reddish hair. I was SO drooling over it! I couldn't watch the feet for the hair dancing in the air! ;)

tiny_teesha
May 26th, 2008, 08:37 AM
yayyyy!!! I'm glad you are imbracing what nature gave you!!!
I too bleached my canopy, at home myself, and left it on too long (years ago) and hair al over my head feels great, except that bit. I'm debating a trim/cut right now. If i am going to cut i will start with getting that top bit layered to get rid of that "junk" as you call it.
Seriously. Write it down on paper, write why you hate the junk hiar, and write yourself to never do it agian, put your signature on it and tape it over every pair of scissors in the house, your mirror and everything. Say this mantra "I will grow my natural colour PROUDLY, because hair looks better then JUNK!!" :)

Chamomilemaiden
May 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
That&#180;s great, I&#180;ve been always convinced that natural colors are the best and most interesting ;)(although some henna shades are great too!) and I&#180;m happy for every person who wants to maintain her/his natural color. The best thing about that is that you don&#180;t have to worry when to dye your hair again :) I love my hair color too, it&#180;s just me :)

Addition: your hair in 6th grade! - just gorgerous! Definitely way to go.

Loviatar
May 26th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I am glad you like your natural colour BlackfootHair. I wish you every success on growing out for the future.

My conclusion as a member of this community is that everyone has A colour which to them feels natural; whether that's the one they were born with or not depends on the person. ;)

I am pleased that you feel better about your journey now.

jesamyn
May 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'm another one who loves my Irish ancestry (though I love the Native American just as much - thankfully they're both very grounding heritages). I enjoyed seeing that series of pictures. Your natural color is beautiful! I'm so glad you are able to enjoy and appreciate it.

spidermom
May 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Nice series of pictures. Your natural hair color is very pretty. I think you probably have platinum hairs as a variation among your natural colors, not necessarily related to the aging/going gray or white phase of life. With age I'm getting more and more silvery hairs, but I've always had very pale hairs, also jet black hairs, even very fine, very kinky black hairs. I'm quite the mixed heritage mutt.