PDA

View Full Version : DD3's Hair

jissy
May 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hello, it's been a very long time since I was here. Last time I was here I had mentioned that I was getting comments on my first daughters hair. People would say to cut it and I said no. She is almost 4 now and I have trimmed just a tiny bit of the bottom hairs where her curls were that were very dry and always tangled. SInce cutting the bottom about 1 1/2 inches I think in total(i did it once 2months ago and just the other day now) I have noticed it to be so much better yet her hair isn't tightly curled as it use to be when she was younger. I have no problem with this, just happy her hair isn't tangling like it was.

Problem is is that her hair isn't growing fast at all. Her bangs have seem to have stopped growing. I have never touched anything but the very bottom of her hair and that was just this past year.

I just got back from a dermatologist's office due to my son and we were talking about my dd's eczema and her lack of hair growth. The dr. said that I trimming her hair every so often with help it grow. If i am treating it like baby hair it will act like baby hair..

Is this true???? I'd like her hair to be healthy and grow and if it means trimming it every so often then I'll do that. Her bangs wont go past her chin , they seem to have stopped growing but I know it's just real slow...Any suggestions or comments I'd appreciate.

Gothic Lolita
May 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry, I'm not a big help here, but I've heard that some sorts of exzema can stop hairgrows or get to the follicle. But, you visited a dermathologist, so he should know why your daughter's hair doesn't grow.

For how long hasn't her hair really grown? Maybe she is just in a stall, U guess this can happen any time at any age.

I'm not a fan of the "if-you-cut-it'll-get-long" thing. I can't see how it should, because mostly all new grows is taken off by these trims.

liseling
May 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
I think it's a myth that trimming hair makes it grow faster. From what I've heard The only benefit trimming could have for length or the speed at which hair grows longer is if you have major split ends or other damage that could possibly travel up the hair and make it break off short. Maybe that's what your doctor meant.
But if the ends are mostly healthy then how would trimming them make the hair grow faster or longer? Hair grows from the roots only and nothing you do to the ends is going to affect the pace at which it comes out of the follicles.
Perhaps the eczema is involved somehow. Hair follicles are also part of the skin, so maybe whatever stresses are causing the eczema are also affecting hair growth?

lora410
May 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
My dd5 has curly hair and let me tell you it took her 4yrs just to get to shoulder length curly. She was a VERY slow grower and now at 5yrs is finally picked up speed. I to worried about the sever lack of growth, but it turned out maybe it was just normal FOR HER. I have noticed big time growth since i stopped brushing it and did more combing, lots of moisture, and only trim every now and then when the end knots get to bad. If anything you can always get a blood panel done to be sure all is ok.

birdiefu
May 23rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
If her ends are healthy (and it sounds like you trimmed the damaged parts), trimming won't speed her growth. Young children can also have very slow growth (depends on the kid) up to say 5-6 or so, it's not unusual for a 4 year old to have slow growing hair. How long did it take for her bangs to get to chin? The longer it gets, the less noticeable the change in length is, though it's still growing (due to proportion of current length to the say 1/4 or 1/2" or gained length per month). If she doesn't have any scalp issues, just treat her hair gently and it will grow at it's own pace and eventually gain length.

As far as the change in texture, it's very common for the 'baby' hair to be different from toddler or preschooler hair, and later on as she grows the texture can still change. So if those curly bits were from baby hair (as it sound like as you never trimmed before), it may not be as curly as it grows out.

jissy
May 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Thank you girls this is what I thought. Dh and Iboth have long hair. Mine is split all over but I take care of the hair and trim about 3 inches every so often.

Her hair is healthy and the locks that were very curly and dry Idid take off and now her hair feels great when I brush it. Not as curly as it use to be either. I wont be cutting her hair.

She does have dry scalp due to her excema, i did use some head and shoulders and that helped her with her scalp. Maybe I'll brush it with the boar brush more often that should help her out. She loves her hair and I wontbe cutting "just because" ;-)

jissy
January 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Bringing this up again because I am going to keep a log of both of my daughters hair.

DD3 is now DD4 1/2 her hair was trimmed again just about 1/8 inch last year after I posted here. It just isn't growing. It parts naturally to the side as well which doesn't help me at all. Styling her hair is a pain because her hair parts to the side and naturally wants to go forward so putting a pony tail in you can see where it is forced. I can deal with that though. lol

DD2 1/2 is a blond and her hair isn't growing as fast as I thought it would either. Just a trim for her last year. IT was just to get a lock of hair so not much. She goes to bed or nap and her hair in the back is just so horrible with knots when she wakes up. Any suggestions for how to help her bed head in the back of her head?

I'll measure their hair and post it.

Speckla
January 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
My hair was very fine and curly when I was little. I didn't have my first hair cut until I was 10 years old and my hair was barely past shoulders. It really started to grow and thicken up when I hit puberty.
________
Lsd rehab dicussion (http://www.rehab-forum.com/lsd-rehab/)

NebraskaChick84
January 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM
watching this space, my 2.5y/o has bed head BAD (and funnily enough he is also a blond) and I never did figure out how to get that to not happen. I even started conditioning his hair since it seemed so wiry.

goodenough
January 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
This is so normal--my dd (now7) didn't even have hair at her temples completely grown in yet when she was 4!! Her hair is slightly wavy, and it didn't even reach her shoulders at four. even now it grows so slowly. I haven't had the front trimmed in a year and a half, and it's so much shorter than the back. it's frustrating for her b/c she wants it long, and friends who've had many haircuts have thick, long hair. But my daughter's hair is beautiful in it's own way. I trim an inch from the back every now and then, but only with her permission. She's reached waist in the back, and the front is past her chin. I've had to ignore so many comments--but if my baby wants long hair--that's what I'll try to help her with!

jissy
January 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Well dd4 measures roughly 19 1/2 inches. But it's not one length. She has a big for head.

DD2 measures at roughly 17 inches.

I guess because my SIL's girls BOTH have to have their cut often and it's so thick that I compare and I really shouldn't. It'll grow when it grows i guess.

I'll have to just play with it till then. At least I Have this so I can remember what the measurements were.

I wont be cutting their hair either. Just a lock for each of them last year but nothing more. No need.

I did hear from my SIL that she uses satin sheets to help with bed head maybe I can try that.

Tap Dancer
January 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM
The dr. said that I trimming her hair every so often with help it grow. If i am treating it like baby hair it will act like baby hair..

That makes no sense. How do you treat hair like baby hair or adult hair? :confused:

Isilme
January 18th, 2009, 06:08 PM
if the hair is damaged, it will break and seem to not grow. First check that everything is healthy hair. You said you are brushing the hair, brushing often causes breakage. If she is getting bedhead hair, is it matted? That can cause damage. Get her a silk pillowcase or something slippery. That will help with tangles. Slow growth or no hair at all can be normal, I didn't get any hair at all for a very, very long time (enough to make dad worried) and now it's thick and long:)

jissy
January 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I agree with "what does treating it either way mean " LOL Seems silly to me it really does. At the time I was desperate but dh and I both know (we both have long hair ) that cutting the bottom doesn't make the top grow lol.

DD4's hair is perfect there is no damage at all. I will have to make sure I check where she puts a pony tail(we dont put it in one place all the time) and we use nothing with rubber or metal on any of our hair.

DD3's hair looks ok but it's so blond that I'll have to look really well while i have dark towel so i can see anything.

MemSahib
January 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Since both of your daughters have slow growth, I'm guessing this is purely genetic and there is little or nothing you can do about it other than treat the hair very gently.

As far as bedhead goes, why not braid them up before bed just like we adults do? Even tiny little braids will help the knotting. My daughters had fine, fine hair and got those horrible knots in the back. I used to comb out gently with a little water, and thinking about it, I now use a detangler or a little dab of conditioner to help detangle granddaughters with the same problem.

jissy
January 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM
dd2's hair is still to short to braid but I can try a high ponytail. it'll be small but it might help.

Gentle is what I have to remember. I think they both have very fine hair as well so again that is something that will me with what to do with them.

Thank you all