PDA

View Full Version : Tips?

bluesnowflake
September 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I have waist-length hair (at long last!) and I really like it, but I have one small problem. It's quite thick, and the top is nice and shiny and soft, but the underneath can get frizzy and a little rough. I take care of my hair ( no heat, no dyeing, no stressing hairdos), so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's like this at any length, not just since it's gotten long. Does anyone have suggestions as to why it's like this and how to fix it?

Roseate
September 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
It sounds like just a natural variation in texture; your underlayer is probably coarser than your canopy. My underlayer is much curlier than the outer layer of my hair, and behaves differently.

As long as it's well moisturized, not suffering from buildup or protein overload or any of that, it's probably just the way your hair is. Look on the bright side, at least the soft shiny part is on top!;)

bumblebums
September 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
It could be what Roseate said, but it could also be due to handling. if you usually wear your hair down, then the undersie might get roughed up by constant friction on clothing. What's your usual hairstyle?

bluesnowflake
September 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I normally wear it down, so that could be it.

bumblebums
September 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I normally wear it down, so that could be it.

Ah, ok. In that case, you can do a couple of things. First, wear it contained more often. Second, when you do wear it down, pay attention to the fabric of your shirt. Some fabrics are kinder to hair than others. The finer the denier (thread count), the better, with satin and the like being the best.

GoddesJourney
September 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I agree with the above posters. It could be rubbing up against your back. A braid or bun will help keep that under control. Also, most people have a natural variation in texture. The nape area and canopy are almost never the same from what I understand.

Daniella123
September 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
that used to happen to me all the time before my hair was pretty much cut off for that reason.
definitely the fabrics of your shirts, try wearing your hair over your shoulder in front of you instead of swinging behind and perhaps carry around a claw so you can easily put it up when you think it is starting to knot up. also.. regular finger combing?