PDA

View Full Version : Question about Semi-Perm Hair Color

ncgal25
September 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Im a newbie transitioning to back to my natural hair color & am learning along the way & have a lot of questions. Its been 7 weeks since my last box color & my hair is 25-30% gray (mostly at the roots, underside & around ears)

Its dry & dull, but with the help of this forum & great advice from ya'all Im going back to my natural hair color & growing it out!

First: Just out of curiousity, Im wondering why my hair "appeared" softer & shinier when I box colored?
Im not asking because I want to color it again - Im just curious what causes the appearance of shiner, softer hair after you color? :confused:
Second: what exactly causes the damage if its a no ammonia color? Ive used no ammonia semi-perm for 7 years or so. Now that Im letting the color grow out, the damage is visible!
Thanks!

aenflex
September 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I can answer the soft part - probably a combo of the dye itself depositing on your hair, filling cracks, and the ultra cone conditioner that comes with, if you used it.

As for the damage, they substitute ammonia with some other caustic chemical that will cause the hair to accept the dye, maybe only slightly less damaging - but that's speculation. Someone else here will no doubt have a better explanation. But I dye at home with semi/demi and I have noticed the same thing. I doesn't last long tho :)

Roseate
September 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I

First: Just out of curiousity, Im wondering why my hair "appeared" softer & shinier when I box colored?
Im not asking because I want to color it again - Im just curious what causes the appearance of shiner, softer hair after you color? :confused:
Second: what exactly causes the damage if its a no ammonia color? Ive used no ammonia semi-perm for 7 years or so. Now that Im letting the color grow out, the damage is visible!
Thanks!

1) The color coats your hair, filling in any little imperfections and makes it reflect more light. Shiny! (For a while...)

2) Peroxide. Most semi-perms still have a little peroxide to open the cuticle and help the color adhere to your hair. Putting even a little peroxide on your head regularly for 7 years can add up.

There are some shorter-term chemical colors that have neither ammonia nor peroxide, but they don't last long, and don't usually cover gray very well. And of course there's the plant-based henna/cassia/indigo colors, no ammonia or peroxide there!

Enjoy your new natural color, and welcome to LHC!:)