PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Oz on age and hair

Heartwillfollow
September 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Dr. Oz had a little segment where he said that your hair is thicker up to and through your 20's then in your 40's it becomes thinner due to hormonal changes,, but it will regain it's thickness in your 50's once all the hormonal changes settle down. May of not worded it exactly but the general idea.

any feed back to this thought?
(( Thanks ))

UltraBella
September 11th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Well, I see lots of heads of hair daily and in my experience women complain about hair thinning the most after menopause. As they get to be 55+ some almost panic because of the thinning. I don't know of any who it has thickened back up for after menopause. On some of them I can see their scalp through their hair and one of the ladies had as much hair as I did earlier in her life. She is 66 now and has thinned considerably.
I am not disagreeing with Dr. Oz, just saying my own experience has been different.

christine1989
September 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM
That is interesting. I have never heard that before. I thought that once it starts thinning it just keeps going but the logic behind Dr. Oz's statement makes sense. I just started Yaz and my hair is shedding like crazy so I am definatly a beliver in hormone changes and hair loss!

Konstifik
September 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
That's strange. My hair has been quite thin through my life, but now at age 22 it's suddenly noticeably thicker.

Heartwillfollow
September 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I was trying to find if it was mentioned on his website,, (not found it yet) .. I thought it was against the norm when he mentioned it..

Konstifik great that your hair is getting thicker :)

Babyfine
September 11th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I have a cousin who told me a couple of years ago that her hair thickened up after menopause she's now about 60.
My hair is really no thinner than it used to be and in fact due to better treatment after finding the hair boards, it is as thick or thicker than when I was 30(but I used to perm then so it's hard to tell)The few greys I have are courser than the rest of my hair.
On the other hand, my grandma on the other side of the family's hair got so thin in her old age she was wearing wigs in her 80's and 90's

Caldonia Sun
September 11th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Well, I and my friends area all in their 50/60's and no ones hair is any thicker. Every one of them is noticeably thinner. Doesn't sound right, to me, but it would be nice.

RachelRain
September 11th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I've always thought Dr Oz was a quack. Kind of like Dr Phil.

That said, every one of my mom's friends still has the same thick hair they've had since I was a kid. And I play with it regularly, so I would've noticed and mentioned it if it was getting thinner. Maybe some women do get thinner around menopause (like some women get thinner while/after being pregnant) but I doubt enough of them do for him to make a blanket statement.

(eta - said blanket statement being either part of that - the losing it or the thickening up. not so much both as either.)

Fractalsofhair
September 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
My grandmother's hair on my mother's side never thinned. She has always had very thick hair, and it's still very thick. It doesn't look as thick now that it's white, since it blends more with her scalp. However, she went through menopause very late.

My paternal grandmother had the same deal, but her hair looked much thinner when it was white as opposed to black. She had very curly, rather thin hair naturally, and when she went gray, her hair looked a lot thinner. (She grayed late, like my father is currently doing.) I think some elderly people often have poor health and a poor diet(due to difficulties cooking. My grandfather can't cook anymore due to his arthritis, and his wife(my grandmother) can't cook tasty food, but she is learning how to cook nutritious food.), and that could affect hair growth/loss. My father is in his 60s now, and his hair is as thick as thick as it's always been, which although is not the same as women, his family might just not genetically bald.

Even those with healthy diets and overall health might just genetically lose hair. That being said, my mother in her 50s, has complained her hair is thinning, but I think it's more that she's tried to bleach it a few times in the last year, and it's very damaged.(Her roots are much thicker than her ends.)

ilovelonghair
September 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I noticed in high school people had such thick hair and I had thin hair, then when I was in my 20's people around me still seemed to have thick hair, but not as thick as teenagers and after 25 it wasn't so thick anymore. Now my hair has thickened up in my 30s. But it's hard to see nowadays who has thick or thinner hair due to the fashion of thinning out hair. But my family members all still have the same hair as before.

jeanniet
September 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM
So far, so good. I'm only about a year postmenopause, but I haven't really noticed any thinning. My mother is almost 80 and still seems to have the same thickness of hair, although hers is pretty short. I think her sister may have had some thinning, but then she had her hair colored and styled all the time and that may have had something to do with it. So I'm hoping for not much thinning here.

Fairlight63
September 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
A lot of the time also all of the medications that older people take can make their hair thinner. My DH used to have real thick hair & in his 50"s he had a heart by pass operation, then all the meds. that he is on I think thinned out his hair. He is 67 & his hair is gray also when in his 50's it was brown. It happened so gradual that he didn't even notice it getting thinner. It wasn't like it was falling out in clumps or anything. He just all of a sudden noticed that it was thinner.

Also a lot of older women have died & permed their hair so long that I think that it has made it thinner.

I am not on any medication except vitamins - knock on wood - my hair seems to be the same - it has always been on the thin side. I decided to quit coloring my hair because I wanted long hair & I wanted it to be healthy.

adiapalic
September 11th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Sounds pretty accurate for my mama. She said her hair was about as thick as mine when she was younger. Now that's she's post-menopausal at age 52 (she started menopause early at 38 ), her hair has become courser and thicker than it has ever been. I'm sure all people are different though. I hope mine is like hers when I'm her age! :bluebiggr

JenniferNoel
September 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
There is no general rule to cover everyone's hair or general health in the first place, and this thread stands to confirm that. Lifestyle changes, stress, hormones (to some degree), and nutrition all play a part in hair loss/growth.
My hair has gone through many shedding periods all seemingly related to stress, diet, and minor head trauma. The thinnest my hair has ever been was about ii.

jane53
September 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'm 56, almost 57, and my hair is thicker than it was when I was young.

EtherealOde
September 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM
He may have been referring to women with normal, otherwise healthy hair, whithout any medical problems and no thinning/baldness genes. Women who are unfortunate enough to get that gene combination from both parents will never get thicker hair. While women with this genetic hair loss porblem generally do not go completely bald they do get extreme thinning, and the scalp is always very much visable.

I think I am one of the lucky ones, with just a small amount of thinning. With any luck it will go away over time.

little_cherry
September 11th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hormones affect every woman differently.

Kathie
September 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think he’s just catering to his main demographic – hes making older women feel good about themselves and giving them hope. It’s just too broad a statement.

curls2grow
September 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Bummer. The thought of my hair eventually getting thicker was cheering me up. Oh well, a girl can hope!

CherrySilver
September 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I think he’s just catering to his main demographic – hes making older women feel good about themselves and giving them hope. It’s just too broad a statement.

No kidding!!! I'm glad that I wasn't the only one to see right thru this b.s. -- but it's too bad lots of people eat up everything he says, thinking it's the gospel and not questioning anything...