PDA

View Full Version : "First post!" or "What do I call this length?"

linnepinne
September 10th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Hi everyone at the LHC!

I'm so delighted to have finally joined this wonderful forum! Yes, I'm guilty of lurking around for qiute som time now...

Anyway, here's a short presentation of me and my hair-history: 24-year old (young?) woman living in the north of Sweden. Struggling to be friends with my hair, wich I've hated from my early teens. So I never wear it down...
Reasons for this hate: My hair is qiute thin, pokker straight and a boring, very common (at least for scandinavia) blonde color. After years of mishandling (we're talking teasing and tons of hairspray everyday, combined with waaaaay too much protein) I started to notice that my hair could not take it anymore. It just started breaking of and was corse an brittle just like hay. That's when I started looking in to CO and how to properly care for hair, and that's when i found this wonderful forum :)

I started growing out my hair in july 2010 (so it's only been a few months) and I really love this new gentle haircare. And this is a real adventure for me, because my hair has never been longer than APL (when I was about 12), and I'm not sure how it behaves when it gets longer. Wish me luck!

Like i said, i've been lurking around tha forum for a while, so i really just have one question for you: What can I call my lenght? My hair is very layered, with the shortest bits (exept for my bangs) at chin length, and the longest bits a few inches below my sholders. Is it SL?

Many thanks!

Hmmm, i'm not sure how to get my picture in here... Help please!

Thanks again

julliams
September 10th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Welcome to LHC.

Yes you would be classified as Shoulder Length or SL. Once your hair gets to your armpits, it's called APL and then BSL (bra strap length). Glad to hear you have found a routine you and your hair are happy with.

linnepinne
September 10th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Thank you julliams!

But i'm not sure i have found "my" routine yet... I have a problem with greasy roots, so with CO i have to wash my hair every two days. I would like to extend my washings to once a week, but i'm not sure how. Just purchased some Rhassoul-clay and really like the clean feeling it gives my hair, but i've only tried it once so i'll have to wait and see.

bunzfan
September 10th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you julliams!

But I'm not sure i have found "my" routine yet... I have a problem with greasy roots, so with CO i have to wash my hair every two days. I would like to extend my washings to once a week, but I'm not sure how. Just purchased some Rhassoul-clay and really like the clean feeling it gives my hair, but I've only tried it once so i'll have to wait and see.

I started CO as my curly hair was dry at the ends and i found myself at the beginning like you having very greasy roots and i found if you just CO when its looking greasy it makes it look freshly washed, wearing it up also gets past that stage within 6 weeks i could wash my hair once a week without it being greasy:)

Shany
September 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Thank you julliams!

But i'm not sure i have found "my" routine yet... I have a problem with greasy roots, so with CO i have to wash my hair every two days. I would like to extend my washings to once a week, but i'm not sure how. Just purchased some Rhassoul-clay and really like the clean feeling it gives my hair, but i've only tried it once so i'll have to wait and see.

Welcome!

Since you have a problem with greasy roots, have you tried CWC? http://longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=6582
I CWC and do a vinegar rinse (1 tbs. of vinegar and a cup of water in a spray bottle). I don't leave the vinegar rinse in my hair, I rinse it with cold water and it helps me a lot to extend my hair washings. If you try it, use white vinegar, it won't stain your blonde hair.

GoddesJourney
September 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Collarbone lenght, layered.

xoxophelia
September 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hej! Sounds like SL to me as well. I really love your avatar :)

spidermom
September 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Welcome to LHC.

Flaxen
September 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Welcome to TLHC! We have lots of lengths (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27422) to choose from. :lol:

Henrietta
September 10th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Welcome here!

Thin hair is nothing bad! At least your updos won't break your neck!
Straight hair? I used to dream about it. Now I like my waves but... Appreciate the silky straightness!;) It's incredible how shiny straight hair can be!
Blonde... Light hair catches so much light... This is a reason to be happy too. I live in a place where 85% of girls have hair colour similar to mine. But not the same. You are unique. Not common;)

And about pictures... I am not sure if you can use your album, as you are still a New Member... If not use a photobucket or any page like this. Copy the link from your album/photobucket and then use a button with mountains and the sun in the window where you are posting a reply to the post ;)This one: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif I have just used it to post it here. Funny:D

linnepinne
September 13th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Thank you everone for the warm welcome and support!

No, i have not really tried CWC because i try to stay away from SLS. But i suppose I could try it with the rassoul clay... I have only tried the clay once, but I really like it! it gets my hair relly clean without harshness or drying my hair out. It definetly stays clean for longer, and i love how it detangles my hair in the shower! If you havent tried it, i can strongly recommend it :)

I have tried vinegar rinces though. But i really disklikes the vinegar smell (stink!). It vanishes when my hair dries, but on a rainy day... well, my hair starts smelling like something rancid and horrible. But does it really work if you rinse it out with water? To me it seems like that would take away the effect of the vinegar? Please enlighten me :)

Thanks again/ linnepinne

rags
September 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
You don't have to use SLS to CWC. You can use any non-sulfate shampoo too! And as another thin/fine hair, welcome to LHC!!

In2wishin
September 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Welcome linnepinne :waving:

Have you considered oiling your ends after washing to counteract the dryness? It may help so you can cleanse the scalp however you need to.

linnepinne
September 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks again for all your greetings :)

Yes, i've tried oiling after wash, enough times to realize that i like heavier oils for my hair, like EVOO. Dryer oils lika jojoba and grapeseed doesnt work and only make my ends scraggly and sort of velcro-ish. But oiling my hair straight after washing makes my hair really greasy the day after. Even though i always use just a drop or two, ONLY aply below my ears/just my ends, and sleep with my hair braided (as good as i can, braids are hellish to produce with short layered hair!). The oil just seem to "travel" to my roots no matter how careful i am. That's fine hair for ya! :)

So i've come to the conclusion that oiling should be like a deep treatment leave-in over night on the evening before washing day.

Oh! And i tried my first *real* CWC today (Rhassoul clay and cone-free conditioner from The Body Shop). My hair is not completely dry yet, and i'm eager to see the results :)