PDA

View Full Version : What "fabric" is your hair? (Just for fun...and better hair handling!)

my2cats1
September 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I've read that it is good to think of hair as a fabric and treat it accordingly (as we would never pull and stretch a wool sweater, or dry silk on high heat.)

So my question is: what material is YOUR hair?

My roomate has fine, cornsilk hair that flows like sheer curtains. Mine is heavier and falls solid and a bit coarse.....like denim, maybe. I can get away with an occasional blowdry, but her "silk" hates any rough handling.

What fabric is YOUR hair? :eyebrows:
Do you follow the care instrucitons that would be on the tag (dry clean only, no heat, etc.?) :eyebrows:

Ravenne
September 9th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Oooh. This is fun. Um.. Let's see. Mine's pretty soft. Not too thin but not necessarily thick either. Kinda hangs in chunks. Not really very wispy or flowy. If I had to pick a fabric... I'd say flannel. As far as following the care instructions.. I definitely don't shower in cold water or blow dry. Lol!! But hey, it's a fun metaphor!

my2cats1
September 9th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Ohhhh, flannel! Good one! Soft, but enough "heft" to have a lot of styling options.

I just wanted to say that before I found the LHC, my hair was a damaged scratchy wool ......thanks for all the advice, everybody! You're my fabric softener, apparently.
:)

Antipodienne
September 9th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Mine is heavy but ridiculously slippery and sort of thin, so I'll have to go with satin.

Roseate
September 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Steel wool.

LittleOrca
September 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM
On a good day it is a high shine silk and very soft.

On a bad day it is a Fairy Dust fabric (Cotton blend with metallic print over it for shine). It looks nice from a distance, and is still beautiful close up, but it's just not as soft and does not feel the same on the body.

Tiina
September 9th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Silk/wool blend. It is not as thin and drapey as silk but it is far more durable while still quite soft and shiny. A bit of good from both sides. :)

Aleria
September 9th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I'd say mine is cotton. It's fairly durable and soft in it's own way, but will break under high stress. It's kind of ordinary but can still look awesome if used right. It's everyday sort of hair, it doesn't look fancy very well but is great for general life. Oh and it has a funky print, like Batik cotton :p

ETA: missed the second question. Yes I follow the directions: iron (occasionally), air dry (pure cotton will shrink if you heat dry), dyes easily, but warning that dying lighter than it already is is hard and can mess up.

little_cherry
September 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Silk-cotton charmeuse...strong, smooth, weighty, shiny.

swivelhop
September 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Raw silk, its not all the same, you can make it super shiney or matte natural, if you snarl it up it will fluff to 10x its normal size. Feels slick to the hand but 'stays' in styles. Feed it protien, wash out sweat asap, hang dry, avoid folding (small braids).

rags
September 9th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Silk, definitely. And no, I don't dry clean it! :rollin:

Unless "cobwebs" is a fabric? :D

swivelhop
September 9th, 2010, 11:37 PM

Lovely spider silk, haunting and ethereal. :)

Ylesque
Crepe chiffon: lightweight, floaty, and prone to fraying and creasing. :p
And on bad days, it's some kind of cheap polyester sheer: much the same as above, but rougher and more temperamental.
I try to follow the care instructions, but sometimes I cave in and "iron" it :eek:

swivelhop

Lovely spider silk, haunting and ethereal. :)

PrincessBob
September 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM
My hair is burlap, rugged, rough and heavy, but doesn't take well to most handling.

Juneii
September 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM
polyester. it can be smooth and soft when new, but if worn many times it pills and fades. It also doesn't wrinkle very much.

becker
September 10th, 2010, 12:36 AM
300 count cotton percale: medium weight, smooth and washes very well.

I hand wash with mild detergent and allow to air dry.

aksown
September 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Well, I'm not familiar with all the different kinds of fabric but mine is a delicate one. Perhaps great, great, great Grandma's lace hanky? I wash it gently and infrequently with a non-drying cleanser, let it air dry then put it away until it's time to wash it again. I take it down for special occasions, being very careful to keep it out of reach of children and the jealous. :p

Barniie
September 10th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Mine is wet cotton wool. Fluffy and soft but limp and fine. :)

Heidi_234
September 10th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Steel wool.
Ah. Argh. Huh. Great call. :doh: I'm joining you on this one. My ends feel like sandpaper if I run them between my fingers.

christine1989
September 10th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Mine would probobly be a wool/cashmere blend. It is wiry and has thick strands that have a mind of their own but it is usually very soft and feels nice.

maria_asa
September 10th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Mine is like silk chiffon: Very thin and fragile, frays easily, compacts to nothing and change colour depending on the light.

jackiesjottings
September 10th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Slightly worn silk! It is silky but slightly wavy so not quite a sleek as silk.

Othala
September 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Another steel wool here!

luxepiggy
September 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Oh this is fun! My hair would definitely be Wolford Satin Touch 20 Stay-Ups! Shiny & smooth, doesn't snag too easily, wrinkle (curl) resistant, usually stored rolled up (in a bun) and silicone makes it practical for daily wear!

Most amusing (^(oo)^)v

Care instructions:

30 degree gentle wash cycle
do not bleach
do not iron
do not dry clean
do not tumble dry
30 degrees is a bit chilly for a full shower, but I do rinse with cold water at the end! I don't bleach or (flat) iron, although I do dry shampoo! Sometimes I get impatient and sneak in a little bit of drying, but only until it's not dripping anymore.

I even roll it up in a towel after washing just like when I wash my Wolford stay ups! :p

haibane
September 10th, 2010, 05:14 AM
An old, worn silk-scarf, very soft and comfy, worn see-through in some parts, but still with some shine. I wash and dry it with great care, but I wear it (down) way too often. :o

kitschy
September 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Mine is wool. Keeps me protected from the cold and damp. Durable, but prone to shrinkage. Do not agitate when wet, air dry. Turns yellow if exposed to bleach.

Ludde
September 10th, 2010, 05:37 AM
kitschy :)

I'd say mine is like dog coat; both warm dog wool and straight smooth cool outer coat hair. All in a variety of colours.

sunshine-locks
September 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Satin.
Glossy,thin,smooth and fairly durable
And i follow most of the care instructions :)

Yozhik
September 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM
What a great thread idea!

As for myself: linen.

Fairly thick, with good heft and fall, but not completely smooth. It can look very nice, but it wrinkles easily, and doesn't travel well without special care.

Wash gently, separately, and allow to air dry on a flat surface :)

Pixna
September 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Quilted flannel. Strange, I know. But imagine running your fingers over it. Soft, a bit of a nap, and kind of bumpy, too. :)

Oh, and I'm wash 'n wear. :D

WaitingSoLong
September 10th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I guess satin. I confess I do not know many materials.

Angela_Rose
September 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
A linen-cotton blend. Strong and sturdy, easy to handle, comes in a really neat color, can have a little shine to it (if you use the right cotton), and washes best in cold.

BlackfootHair
September 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Tibetan Lamb's wool. (http://blog.awsumgal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/trapezebrun2w.jpg) :) soft, curly, and fly-away.

Wash with gentle detergent. Cones necessary. Fabric softener always. Air dry. Do NOT bleach, iron, or any other means of mechanical styling. Doing so may cause breakage.

:D

BattahZ
September 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Not really a fabric, but the new bag I got yesterday makes me think my hair is like kidskin :) When cared for, it's wonderfully soft and pretty, and is a lot stronger than it looks. But with prolonged neglect it can get kind of ratty, so regular maintenance is critical.

JenniferNoel
September 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Polyester, most likely. My hair doesn't really hold up to a lot of fabric textures, and it certainly isn't anywhere near silk. Each strand is about as thick as a... eck... must I... pube, but smooth on the surface, sleek and wavy, and easy to handle. Thick but not coarse. Basically, your general hennaed hair. Naturally it's not too much different though.

chelseamichelle
September 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
My hair is very fine, soft and fluffy. It doesn't have too much weight to it and needs to be handled VERY carefully.

Cashmere? Yes, something along those lines :P

dfotw
September 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Mine is wool. Keeps me protected from the cold and damp. Durable, but prone to shrinkage. Do not agitate when wet, air dry. Turns yellow if exposed to bleach.

This sums up my hair perfectly. Wool. Scratchy against the skin sometimes. I follow the care instructions, save for washing in cold water! Except when forced by sheer necessity, I looooooove my hot shower! :D

RedStripe
September 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Slightly worn silk! It is silky but slightly wavy so not quite a sleek as silk.

That about describes mine too, but I have very wispy ends, so I guess they would be something like the very fine fringe that you see attached to silk shawls.

Masara
September 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Viscose. A bit of a sheen. Looks light and delicate but is actually hardier than it looks. Packs down to nothingness (I'm thinking of a particular viscose dress I bought many years ago and I just wear and wear)

Washing instructions? Do not tumble dry.

Blueglass
September 10th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Silk, raw silk and some steel wool grays that are really difficult to handle.

SurprisingWoman
September 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM
White cotton.

Soft, strong but still bio-degradable so it requires care.

Last longest when washed in water no hotter than necessary to clean, must be rinsed well but will feel best when there's a softening agent in the rinse water. If it starts to look a little dingy can be brightened by exposing to sunlight and adding a little bluing in the rinse water.

;)

baaaad_kitty
September 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Satin perhaps. or some silk/satin blend. My hair's very slippery and needs lots of fabric conditioner or else it's gonna go dry. It can take some damage, but only to an extent.

HikerTrash
September 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Rayon. Sometimes it feels just like these shiny Indian rayon pants I have. Other times it feels more like the rayon pants I have that shouldn't have been washed but were and now don't feel silky and smooth anymore.

khan
September 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Oooh. This is fun. Um.. Let's see. Mine's pretty soft. Not too thin but not necessarily thick either. Kinda hangs in chunks. Not really very wispy or flowy. If I had to pick a fabric... I'd say flannel. As far as following the care instructions.. I definitely don't shower in cold water or blow dry. Lol!! But hey, it's a fun metaphor!

Yep, me too. I thought the chunks were just my weirdness.

kmoc123
September 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM
At this moment, like a felted wool tendrils...lol...I like it to be brushed out and silky, but lately it has been sorta fuzzy...

HintOfMint
September 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cashmere with a silk satin or charmeuse lining. It's soft but thick, and the underlayer is really fine and straight.

MissManda
September 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
My knowledge of fabrics is limited, but here it goes...

I think my hair is some kind of silk cashmere blend. My hair is very soft, shiny, and thick and is not too heavy, nor too light. My individual hairs are somewhat on the fine side but are much stronger than they appear. It has a nice sheen to it and can appear very sleek and silky or very soft and fluffy and feels wonderful against the skin. Oh, and it also makes for wonderful insulation in the wintertime and it really makes you want to snuggle into it. I can't wear it (down) in summertime!

Some days, it feels more cotton-y, but that's mostly on the damaged ends.

I use a gentle detergent, wash/rinse in cool water, leave it out to air dry, and I do not dry clean or use heat on it.

What a wonderful thread! :cheese:

MandyBeth
September 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Individual strands are like cobweb thread - thin, easily broken with too much handling, happiest without heavy coatings.

Tho' all together? Got me. What's like that, but doesn't compact at all.

Henrietta
September 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
It's hard to tell... I cannot say "silk", though I'd really want to. Maybe silk with 20% of cotton?
I follow the instructions- no heat;)

MissManda
September 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Individual strands are like cobweb thread - thin, easily broken with too much handling, happiest without heavy coatings.

Tho' all together? Got me. What's like that, but doesn't compact at all.

Alpaca or angora, perhaps? :)

That is my guess. Again, I'm not super-familiar with the varieties of fabric. ^^

pepperminttea
September 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
An old Victorian gown. Soft and fragile, but also heavy and thick; something that feels like it's own weight will break it if you hold it in the wrong way.

Ruce
September 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Is sandpaper an option? The length of my hair is the defintion of 'awkward' and has a complete mind of its own, and no section of hair falls into a perfect wave. There are some noticeable waves around my face, but the ends are absolutely crazy and almost seem to curl straight upwards, while other parts of it curve so far inwards I look like a spade from a pack of cards! If I run my fingers down it, you can easily feel the hairs that aren't behaving and seem to be falling sideways across my head.

I'm hoping this problem is solved as it grows longer (might make a thread about that) but at the moment, my hair does something new every day.

TrudieCat
September 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Wool tweed. Warm, heavy, strong, and feels a little rough. Works well and feels good in winter; not so great during hot, humid summers.

littlenvy
September 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
lol Egyptian Cotton 80% and nylon/polyester blend 20% at the top which turns to 20% cotton and 80% nylon/polyester blend at the bottom :rolleyes:

For REAL!

PiroskaCicu
September 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think my hair is silk but I have LOTS of it. It is very "fluffy" because I have so much hair. It is fine, lustrous, soft, shiny, can be different colours in different lights, changes colour with sunlight.... :) I have to treat it with delicate care. If not it can end up looking dull with ripped ends that look thin.

My little sister has hair that is an even finer silk but sadly she treats it very poorly! It ended up looking torn and matted at waist length and she had to cut it all off to shoulder.

cubedcoley
September 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I would really LOVE to write satin or silk, but I am afraid to say it is just plain old cotton. Resilient to tears or breaking but on high heat will frizz and pill as a cotton knit shirt would out of a dryer. YES! I finally figured out my hair looks BETTER with no dryer-fry on it and much more body in the long run when it is "line dry only." or, every now and then I turn on low heat for a 5 minute "toss around" with the dryer, and "remove promptly" to avoid wrinkles or frizz in this case! :)

girlcat36
September 10th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Definately gauze. But a silk-cotton blend gauze.

HintOfMint
September 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Ah I forgot to add, "lay flat to dry."

darkwaves
September 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Great game -- I'd love to play, but my hair is not like any fabric I know! (And yes, I sew -- and even have a discount fabric-buying-card from the local store.)

Anything woven has far more heft and weight and stability than my hair... So I tried to think yarn instead (I knit, too) but I give up there as well...

My hair is fine and silky some days but woolly on others, but overall, does not feel like anything animal or artificially made.

Hiriel
September 11th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Hm, bamboo? Bamboo feels a bit like something in between cotton and silk - my hair is quite soft, but not silky. And it doesn't need much washing.

lorenaluo
September 11th, 2010, 04:06 AM
My hair is burlap, rugged, rough and heavy, but doesn't take well to most handling.

In2wishin
September 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
My hair is cotton sateen: durable and not very soft but it maintains a shiny look even after some abuse.

JulietCapulet
September 12th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Merino wool.

MoniChaos
September 12th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Mine is jersey, like a regular t-shirt oder sweater.
Not particularly complicated, somewhat smooth and absorbent, and retains the shape it dried in.

Schipperchow
September 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM
How creative! I'm not well-versed in fabrics & their care instructions. But I think mine would be a cotton, linen blend with a touch of wool (approx. 50:45:5). Shrinks when wet. Avoid drying on high heat.

Herb
September 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Plain, straight up cotton. :)

AgnesONutter
September 12th, 2010, 03:11 PM
My hair would be cashmere. It is incredibly soft and warm. Prefers a cold, gentle washing and to air dry, preferably supported in a bun or wrap rather than hanging to bring out the curls. Perhaps there is a bit of silk thrown in too for the shine and slipperiness, and to make it harder to care for. It definitely is a rather loose weave, prone to snagging and breaking.

Speckla
September 12th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Mine is a silk/cotton blend.

Daniella123
September 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
steel wool?? oh no!
mine is definitely.. not treated as silk.. all the time anyways
I can be rough with it but at least I don't treat it like a pair of jeans anymore (seriously)

Charlotte:)
September 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM
*touches satin pillow case, and then touches hair* We've got a winner!

Katurday
September 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Nylon. Shiny, durable, difficult to dye, and rough if you touch it the wrong way, but slick and slippery in the right direction.

Sagi1982
September 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Mine's canvas, I think...

spidermom
September 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Spider web, of course.

torrilin
September 24th, 2010, 04:47 PM
My hair looks and acts rather like the coarsest of the luster longwools. Sadly, I do not have the awesome ringlets that a Wensleydale or Teeswater gets. Instead, it's more like one of the ultra-low crimp luster wools.

squiggyflop
September 24th, 2010, 04:49 PM
My hair is cotton sateen: durable and not very soft but it maintains a shiny look even after some abuse.
ditto for my hair

AspenSong
September 24th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Mine's definitely on the satin/silk-front I think. Fine and soft, but I've got to be gentle with it...it snags or tangles easily if I'm not careful and it loves to slip out of any sort of updo, bun or braid I put it in.

zen_oven
September 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Burlap. LOL. Okay, not really. Maybe a silk/wool blend. Mostly soft but with some coarseness, and some heft.

lillithnight
September 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
my hair is cotton and wool with a very light touch of silk. I treated it more like cotton and my hair seems to like it that way. :)

aenflex
September 25th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Burlap!! :) Denim :) Cheesecloth!
Seriously though, my hair is moderately course, I don't think I can ever get to 'satin' or 'chenile'. I can dream, though.

Neneka
September 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Silk of course but I would like it to be something like cotton or maybe leather.

Fairlight63
September 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Spider web sounds about right.

irishlady
September 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Mine is a satin/cotton blend.

It's not too light, but not too heavy, and can handle the very occassional blow dry on low heat, but doesn't cope under very rough handling.

akuamoonmaui
September 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM
silk/cotton blend.

Tendency to color fade
Will show damage if not cared for properly.

jojo
September 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
mine is crushed velvet its thick and soft to the touch with a wave going on but need special attention when washing

klcqtee
September 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Rough, holds its shape, hides dirt pretty well...I'd say I'm tweed. I'm not really sure if that's a legitimate fabric, or if it's a way fabric is woven, but that's what I'm going with. Oh, plus it stays wet FOREVER.

eezepeeze
September 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Cashmere. Too scratchy to be cotton or silk, but still soft and manageable enough not to be regular wool. so, I'll stick with cashmere. it also requiresextremely gently handling, so no heat, few washes, gentle cycle, etc.