PDA

View Full Version : Hair Symptoms....please help??

Dark_tresses
September 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I am having major worrisome issue with my hair :(
(ignore the hair type at the side as I know I did it wrong..I think)
Anyway, my hair used to be thicker and when it was trimmed it was nice at the ends...well I cut it 3 months ago and there is virtually NO growth!
It is dry and brittle and seems thinning even. My hair is my security blanket and I am stressed and sad...this sucks, to say the bloody least.
The ends are REALLY thin. and it's not growing....

Anybody know what could be wrong and why?
Or any ideas of how to test a theory you may have or what I should do next.

Please help....
I skimmed some of the site (having just joined) and you all seem very nice and helpful so I am counting on it.

Thanks kindly
xx

Tiina
September 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Do you have any medical problems or have you changed your diet? I don't mean to scare you but changes in hair growth and shedding rate can indicate an underlying condition such as a hypothyroidism, Crohn's disease (or some other illness that keeps your body from absorbing nutrients) or hormonal imbalance. If you think this is possible, consult a doctor and get a full bloodwork done.

Dark_tresses
September 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM
My mom has hypothyroidism (yet her hair is still pretty great) Yeah I heard about that and I have many symptoms but at this point the blood work for it comes back normal. It could be the start though.....off to the doctor again I go.
My iron has always been low and so it's not a new thing (though I am sure it does not help)
:(

Anje
September 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
No, low iron doesn't help. Unless you're really strongly opposed to it, I'd suggest you make sure you get heme iron (mostly found in meat), which is a more useful form for your body. You probably should get some general bloodwork done -- if your hair has gone dry and brittle, and you haven't changed anything (different water source, started some medication, changed your hair products, decided to become vegetarian, etc.), it might be an indicator of a medical problem.

Is your scalp dryer than usual, too? The drying, brittle hair description reminds me of what people complain of when put on Accutane; for them, the usual recommendation is to oil their hair and scalps diligently, and many folks benefit from applying some oil to their hair and/or scalp anyway. Coconut oil is a popular favorite and a good place to start, if you're interested. To start out, just put a tiny drop on your hands, rub them together, then pat your slightly shiny hands on your hair.