PDA

View Full Version : Tangled mess

kitty_did
September 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm getting horrible huge tangles at the base of my neck. I need some suggestions on what to do. I'm not too concerned whether has cones or not, just that is works :)
Thanks!

Djinmonet
September 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I had this problem too, for years, awful mess. So far, an oil my hair likes, as in one it doesn't try to get crunchy with, helps. What helped the very most? Silk pillowcases. I even erm, have one in my truck, over the headrest. Which I imagine looks fascinating to the locals, but whatever. :p

If you don't sleep on a pillow, anything very slippery, wherever you rest your head, waking or sleeping, would probably be similar in effect. If you are getting them in the shower, you might try being very careful about keeping your hair from moving too much while your washing, conditioning, whatever.

Hope that helps somewhat. :flower:

Cleopatra18
September 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I had that problem but probably the reason is not the same,here you go anyway.I didnt pay attention for the nape/back part of my hair at all when washing.I would condition and wash everything but the nape clean it or condition it as i should.so over time i had buildup there and it got dry and very tangled,and sometimes even a weird waxy feeling.When i clarified finally and focused on my nape while flipping my hair over,my problem went away.I read on a website somewhere that most long haired folks forget about the nape and the middle parts while washing.HTH

GoddesJourney
September 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I had that problem but probably the reason is not the same,here you go anyway.I didnt pay attention for the nape/back part of my hair at all when washing.I would condition and wash everything but the nape clean it or condition it as i should.so over time i had buildup there and it got dry and very tangled,and sometimes even a weird waxy feeling.When i clarified finally and focused on my nape while flipping my hair over,my problem went away.I read on a website somewhere that most long haired folks forget about the nape and the middle parts while washing.HTH

I agree with this idea. The nape is easily overlooked when washing/conditioning/and detangling until it's a tangled mess. This is especially true for those with a lot of hair.

RachelRain
September 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM

... semi off topic, but... you can flip your hair without causing MORE snarls? I think you're my hero.

I just slather all of my head with conditioner and kind of grind it in with my fingers. I still get some, but usually the nape snarl is only when I have it in a pony now. GL!

spidermom
September 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Terrible nape knots is why I wear my hair up most of the time.

Anje
September 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Terrible nape knots is why I wear my hair up most of the time.
And it's why I avoid turtlenecks!

InTheCity
September 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I vote for clarifying too!

I just came crawling to the boards after a period of neglect because I was afraid my wedding hair style ruined my whole head. It's been a month and I've gotten more tangles lately than my entire life. Then the boards reminded me "oh yeah, a lot of hair spray was used and we spent the honeymoon floating around a pool."

I clarified today and my hair just dried fully - I'm very happy with the results! I didn't even have time to condition (and my hair is naturally very dry) yet it actually feels fine, surprisingly.

I was pretty bummed for like a week thinking a chop was needed and that what little heat my wedding hair stylist used ripped apart every strand. Thank gosh for the boards :D

sibiryachka
September 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Nape hair tangles are the reason I no longer wear necklaces, except for the most special occasions.

Brat
September 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Mine is always tangled there. Always. It's curly and fine, so I usually pick them out with my fingers during the day at work and brush them out only when it's dripping wet. I find that Biolage Detangling Solution really works after washing. It's an after-conditoner thing.

I don't wear necklaces either!

Mariah!!
September 11th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I get those too! I just use spray conditioner on it and comb it our carefully. Good luck!

kitty_did
September 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Off to clarify, hope that helps! Thanks!

smileycat
September 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I cut my hair up above my shoulders the last time it was long (18 years ago) specifically due to the nape snarl issue. I figured it was a fine hair thing with it rubbing and sticking on my clothing and have been apprehensive about experiencing this problem again once it gets a few inches longer.

joyxo
September 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Maybe you could try putting it in a braid whenever you are sleeping or moving around a lot? That may help cut down on the tangles.