PDA

View Full Version : My washing method for easily weighed down wurls

Domino
September 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Sooo here's what I've discovered about my hair:

CO is terrible for my scalp. Talk about horrible itchies and buildup. But when my hair was short it was 3a and I was convinced I needed to go CO to get nice hair.

As it got longer, the curls turned into waves and they were so flat because of the CO. I went back to the regular shampoo/condition method, using baby shampoo. But it was still flat and lifeless. I like my hair big and a bit crazy, not coaxed into perfect curls. Also, the left side of my head is 2a/2b and the right is 2c/3a so the difference is ridiculously exaggerrated with flatness.

I read about the CWC method here and decided to try that. Nope, still my hair was weighed down. I even decided to leave out conditioner totally, which was an experiment that lasted for about 2 weeks and resulted in horrible split ends. I realized I need some light conditioner to detangle.

I decided to try the CWC method again, but in the middle I decided to cut out the last C. I applied conditioner to my lenght, then added diluted shampoo to scalp and rinsed the whole thing out. As it dried, my hair had the best wurls it has ever had. This was 4 months ago. It has worked perfectly through spring and summer, and even though I don't know if I'll need extra conditioner in winter, I'd say this method is a keeper for me.

If you have fine hair that's easily weighed down, and is mostly healthy, you may want to give this method a try. I'm loving it :)

ETA: Writing is my way of dealing with cramps so I apologize if this sounds too serious or lacks a nice attitude.

Fairlight63
September 9th, 2010, 01:56 PM
That sounds good. I will have to try it. I am finding out as my hair gets longer it is getting more & more fickle.
What brand shampoo & cond. helps your hair the most?

By the way, your hair looks beautiful in your picture!

Djinmonet
September 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
ETA: Writing is my way of dealing with cramps so I apologize if this sounds too serious or lacks a nice attitude.

Just thought I'd say I enjoyed reading about your methods and results. You definitely didn't come off, to my mind, as too serious ( I didn't know there was such a thing when describing hair care methods?). Also I didn't see a hint, of angry *beep* type language, so I would think you had a very nice attitude, especially considering your post is detailing your results as you worked through a number of things that didn't do what you wanted, to find one that did. :)

Chestershire
September 9th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a go. I have fine hair too and CO does not work for me either.

SpinDance
September 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thank you for sharing your results. I may have to try less conditioners at some point. I mostly have unruly, unorganized waves, so perhaps this would help define them.

spidermom
September 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I've done the same thing on occasion, but it doesn't work as well with this length.

Domino
September 9th, 2010, 03:06 PM
That sounds good. I will have to try it. I am finding out as my hair gets longer it is getting more & more fickle.
What brand shampoo & cond. helps your hair the most?

By the way, your hair looks beautiful in your picture!

Well, I'm not in US so the products I use would probably not be helpful to you. Let's say I use a very mild baby shampoo or a gentle body wash (because I love the smell and it contains no irritants) and the cheapest conditioner, which contains a tiny bit of amodimethicone. Sometimes though when I want some protein I go for L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri-gloss condish. It's pink! :) (says the metal singer chick :p )

I've done the same thing on occasion, but it doesn't work as well with this length.

Do you know at which specific lenght it stopped working for you spidermom?

spidermom
September 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Well, I'm not in US so the products I use would probably not be helpful to you. Let's say I use a very mild baby shampoo or a gentle body wash (because I love the smell and it contains no irritants) and the cheapest conditioner, which contains a tiny bit of amodimethicone. Sometimes though when I want some protein I go for L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri-gloss condish. It's pink! :) (says the metal singer chick :p )

Do you know at which specific lenght it stopped working for you spidermom?

Tailbone, I think. Now I need lots of conditioner every wash to be able to get a comb through my hair. I even leave some in rather than rinsing completely.

Domino
September 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Tailbone, I think. Now I need lots of conditioner every wash to be able to get a comb through my hair. I even leave some in rather than rinsing completely.

I was thinking something along those lines too. Well, I'm not planning to go past tailbone, so... :o Thanks for replying :)

FrizzFighter
September 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I've done this with success, too. If I have put any kind of treatment on the ends prior to washing (like oiling and braiding before bed and washing in the morning) then I don't need that second condition step of the CWC. I am a 2c but sometimes depending on weather I am a 3a (mostly on the left side of my head, which makes me nuts).

BTW, your hair is lovely!

HintOfMint
September 10th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I generally CWC, but sometimes I, too, will cut out the last C, or I'll even forget about the first C and just concentrate the shampoo at the scalp without coating the rest in conditioner. Sometimes I like big hair too.

astrida
September 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I would like to try this method but I don't understand this creepy LHC language :DD Please help me: I know that CO is conditioner only, so that's one of the C's. Sooo, Conditioner with... ?

Domino
September 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
CWC: Condition-Wash-Condition. The first C is when you apply conditioner to the length of your hair, W is shampooing your scalp with the conditioner still on the length, then rinse it all out and apply conditioner again as the last C :)

HintOfMint
September 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I would like to try this method but I don't understand this creepy LHC language :DD Please help me: I know that CO is conditioner only, so that's one of the C's. Sooo, Conditioner with... ?

CWC is Condition-Wash-Condition. Basically, you coat your hair in conditioner (sometimes the whole length, sometimes the ears down) and then you shampoo the scalp. After you rinse everything out, you give a final coat of conditioner to your hair and rinse after however long you plan to keep it in. It's a way of protecting your hair from shampoo but still keeping your scalp from looking greasy.

shell78
September 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM

Wow, that's really interesting, Spidermom - I'm somewhere between waist and hip and I just got a dry dusting/trim at the beginning of August. (the kind where you measure and you can't tell that you've lost any length at all) I'm starting to wonder if I need to go back and ask for a full wet 2" trim for my velcro ends - or if this is a by-product of fine hair at longer lengths and my routine needs adjusting.

I clarified today (I'm usually CO) to be sure and my hair just isn't responding to the usual detanglers and leave-ins that it used to.

What products and methods do you like for conditioning and detangling your hair? My hair seems to prefer the tangle teezer over my seamless comb at the moment.