PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if your hair is dry?

JCFantasy23
September 9th, 2010, 12:01 PM
This likely sounds stupid but I'm not sure my hair is getting moisturized enough. Or, if it is, perhaps it's just the texture of my hair. Any way to tell if the hair is too dry? Sometimes it's real soft but most of the time not. :mad: This week I did an intensive conditioning/oiling treatment but my hair still feels and looks the same to me. I tried this time with Jojoba oil and mango butter and some V05 conditioner. May have overdid it actually.

So, how to tell if it's the hair texture or if the hair needs moisture?

littlenvy
September 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
My test is usually my ends.
If they curl/wave nicely at the very ends, then my hair is good and happy. If the ends start to be stick-like, not fall together or flare instead of curl then my hair is dry and in NEED of moisture.

JCFantasy23
September 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
My test is usually my ends.
If they curl/wave nicely at the very ends, then my hair is good and happy. If the ends start to be stick-like, not fall together or flare instead of curl then my hair is dry and in NEED of moisture.

Yeah my ends match more of the second. I need to get rid of the ends. I've been cutting a little each month by growth for about eight months now. I do this rather than chop off tons of inches at once, to kind of treat the damaged ends when I started taking care of my hair, without losing tons of length at once. My theory was that if I just had cut my hair back to mid-shoulder, then I would have been discouraged and not taken care of the hair again anyway, not getting me anywhere. The longer my hair is, the more inclined I am to take care of it.

So, not sure if the ends are like this because of that, or else dryness. The ends don't seem that terrible. I see some split ends every once in awhile but nothing terrible. It's hard to tell as it's not perfectly even since I self-trim myself and not in a straight hemline.

Chestershire
September 9th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I get that too, sometimes. Maybe you need a more moisturizing conditioner?

JCFantasy23
September 9th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Maybe, I've been using the Vo5 stuff. Have a few of them I use. My hair doesn't seem to be a healthy condition to me right now, but I'm having a tough time on pinning down exactly what's wrong with it.

alwayssmiling
September 10th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Mine doesn't curl or wave nicely, just looks a little frizzy, tangles a little and feels slightly crunchy. Also - if I have a hair that sheds I will give it a little pull. If it snaps too easily, without any stretch, then I know I need to do some DT's and perhaps a little oil on the ends.

JCFantasy23
September 14th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Mine doesn't curl or wave nicely, just looks a little frizzy, tangles a little and feels slightly crunchy. Also - if I have a hair that sheds I will give it a little pull. If it snaps too easily, without any stretch, then I know I need to do some DT's and perhaps a little oil on the ends.

Well, I do notice with my hair if it is very soft and conditioned it gets staticky easily. Is this a symptom of anything? Not frizzy exactly but sort of similar. My hair tangles a little at the ends but not bad really. Doesn't curl or wave, I have pretty straight hair. When it's wet and untouched it has a slight wave to it. If I pull on my hair it stretches some but not much, it's pretty strong (maybe course) and a little brittle at times. I'm going to try to oil the ends more.