PDA

View Full Version : Cowash Newbie

ncgal25
September 9th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Do I use 2 kinds of conditioner when I cowash? Do I use a cheapie one on my roots and a deeper one on my roots? Also I bought 2 V05's (herbal escapes free me freesia and herbal escapes kiwi lime squeeze). Both appear to contain proteins :-( I also picked up Garnier fructise triple nutrition and HE hello hydration. Are those conditioners ok?

Deborah
September 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM
A lot of people use two conditioners, a light one to wash with, and a heavier one to "condition" with.

I don't see the point. I figure my head has just had a soak and wash in conditioner, adding another will just weigh the hair down. I just use one light conditioner to wash with, then end with a vinegar or citric acid rinse, which I don't wash out. Works great for me.

GlassButrFly
September 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Do I use 2 kinds of conditioner when I cowash? Do I use a cheapie one on my roots and a deeper one on my roots? Also I bought 2 V05's (herbal escapes free me freesia and herbal escapes kiwi lime squeeze). Both appear to contain proteins :-( I also picked up Garnier fructise triple nutrition and HE hello hydration. Are those conditioners ok?

A lot of people use two conditioners, I do as well. The concept is that the first "washing" conditioner is a cheap one that most people wouldn't find very conditioning, so it works well to wash with. Many people still need an actual "conditioning" conditioner, so they use a second, thicker conditioner. I have tried V05 conditioners and didn't like them at all, but some people love them. You just have to figure out what your hair likes by experimenting. I don't have any experience with HE Hello Hydration, but I can tell you that the Garnier Triple Nutrition is fantastic. I use Tresemme Naturals Volumizing Conditioner with Sweet Orange Oil as my washing conditioner, and Garnier Triple Nutrition as my conditioning conditioner. I used to use just Suave Naturals Coconut for both steps, but I found that I was getting too much protein from it and so I switched to Tresemme and Garnier.

Aleria
September 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm a bit of a newbie, been CO Washing for a few weeks now. I use Suave Naturals (currently Tangerine but I'm already running out!) and Garnier Triple Nutrition.
I use two because Garnier is too expensive to wash with - my hair just eats the conditioner in the washing stage, but Suave isn't conditioning enough. So the two-step process works well for me.

jeanniet
September 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I use a mix of two lighter conditioners, plus aloe vera, for COing, and then use a heavier conditioner afterwards. You really have to do some experimenting to find out what is going to work best for you. I've found that mixing up the conditioners and aloe vera and then adding distilled water and shaking very well helps me to get good distribution throughout my hair. Don't be afraid to try different things, as everyone's hair isn't the same and what works for one person may not work for you.

Roseate
September 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I also picked up Garnier fructise triple nutrition and HE hello hydration. Are those conditioners ok?

The HH has silicones, which work fine for many people, but just be aware that they can cause buildup that needs to be removed with shampoo. Keep an eye on it, if your hair starts acting funny buildup may be the culprit and you may need to clarify.

Other than that, sounds good! I do the 2-conditioner thing when I CO, lots of a cheap one first to wash, then a bit of a thicker one on the ends. Everybody's different, though, some folks find that's more conditioning than their hair needs. Experiment, you'll find what works for you.

little_cherry
September 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I just use a cheap Olive oil conditioner from the dollar store to wash and Suave conditioner to condition with. :)

Cinnamon Hair
September 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM

The two heavier conditioners you mentioned both contain cones so I would recommend you throw in a shampoo day on occasion to remove any buildup. Maybe once a week do a regular shampoo and condition. There's nothing wrong with cones if you like them (I do!) since they can be good for detangling.

It's ok that the lighter conditioners have protein, unless you start noticing crunchiness from protein overload I wouldn't worry about it.

When you CO you should put the VO5 on your scalp, about a palm full and the heavier conditioner on your length. Then wait a few minutes before rinsing. Be sure to thoroughly rinse the scalp since if you leave conditioner behind it will look greasy. You can leave some conditioner in the length if you want to improve manageability.

aksown
September 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I use two as well, since the Suave doesn't condition my ends very well and I was getting splits really bad. I started using a deep conditioning balm on my ends last week, did an S&D and haven't found very many splits lately. Plus, the curls really like a thicker conditioner! :D
I second (third, fourth??) the advice to experiment. I really like that Suave, VO5 and White rain are so cheap since that's what my hair really likes and I can pick up ten bottles every couple of months to conduct experiments with. The ones that don't work get passed on to friends that are on a budget and don't really care what goes on their heads. The ones that work get put on a list so I don't forget they worked.

GlassButrFly
September 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM
The two heavier conditioners you mentioned both contain cones so I would recommend you throw in a shampoo day on occasion to remove any buildup. Maybe once a week do a regular shampoo and condition. There's nothing wrong with cones if you like them (I do!) since they can be good for detangling.

Just wanted to clarify that the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition does not contain cones, and is CO friendly. :) The Herbal Essences Hello Hydration does have cones, but some people are able to CO with it successfully, by adding a shampoo day as Cinnamon Hair suggested.

Anje
September 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I usually only do one step in a CO wash, but I sometimes put a heavier conditioner on my length, depending on what I feel like and what bottles are in the shower.

Unless your hair freaks out about proteins, there's no reason why you should need to avoid them in your conditioner. Among the Suave-using CO washers, lots of them find the Tropical Coconut (I'm pretty sure this is the only one of the whole Naturals line to contain protein) works better than anything else. It's just that there are a few folks like me with hair that hates protein in any regularly used product, who give the stuff a bad name.

Flossy
September 9th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that V05 Kiwi Lime is on the protein free list:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46633

Free me Freesia isn't. My hair is not a big fan of protein, and I love the Kiwi Lime.

If you'd told me that I would be using a $2 condish on my hair 6 months ago I would have laughed at you...

ncgal25
September 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I thought the Kiwi Lime Squeeze has proteins because I saw Hydrolyzed Collagen on the ingredients list? Im new to this - so correct me if Im wrong?

Anje
September 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
No, you're right. Collagen's a protein, and I saw it on the Kiwi Lime conditioner when I happened to look a week or two ago.

They probably reformulated it, or something. It seems like VO5 is always "improving" their stuff.

ETA: Mind you, the formulations are sometimes different in different countries, just to further complicate things. I think in Europe, all those VO5s have silicones.

Artsy
September 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I cowash with a cone-free cheepie from Exact brand. Usually I need a lot of the first conditioner to lift up the grease and buildup. Then I follow up with Pantene for damage repair which is heavy with cones. I don't have any extra buildup from this method, and I've been doing this for about 8 month.
Triple Nutrition tends to leave my hair oily if used every day.

By the way, it was a problem in Canada to find protein free products about a year ago. Now I was looking for some products containing protein and couldn't find any. Is it suddenly out of fashion with hairstylists?:rolleyes:
________
CLEAR TRICHOMES (http://trichomes.org)

sleepingIn
November 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
I was just going to post this question as well. Hydrolyzed Collagen is listed in the ingredients for the v05 Kiwi Lime which is really annoying because I thought I had *finally* found a conditioner without cones or proteins that had good results on this forum.

GRRRRR!!!!

GRU
November 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
I somehow accidentally purchased and used (just once!) the Hello Hydration conditioner. To say it has silicones would be a major understatement.... it's FULL of cones! :bigeyes: I refer to that as 'The Great Cone Disaster of 2010'. My hair was PISSED OFF!!! :angry: One nice thing that happened as a result, though, was I tracked down the source of my mysterious "watery eyes" allergy -- it was my hair (with cones in it)!

One thing for folks to keep in mind -- you can often get away with diluting your "washing" conditioner (and maybe even your "conditioning" conditioner as well). Even though I mostly use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (I wash my scalp with it and detangle with it, then just leave it in to condition), which is considered a "cheap and thin" conditioner, I still dilute it with a fair amount of water.

chelseamichelle
November 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I use a super cheap cone-less conditioner to wash and then a heavy coney one to condition.

The cheap ones do a better washing job :shrug: