PDA

View Full Version : Article about hair myths with links to recipes

Gypsygirl
September 9th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Just thought I'd share...

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/7-hair-care-myths-debunked.html

curlylocks85
September 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks Gypsygirl. I partly disagree with the cold water thing. In my experience, my hair is a lot better if I rinse with cold or luke-warm water. I know it is not a cure, but it does add some shine. :)

dreamy10
September 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM
hmm, interesting. thanks for sharing

pepperminttea
September 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks Gypsygirl. I partly disagree with the cold water thing. In my experience, my hair is a lot better if I rinse with cold or luke-warm water. I know it is not a cure, but it does add some shine. :)

Agreed. Quoting the article, "the effect instantly wears off after towel-drying, blow-drying, or intense styling" - that's probably why the hair isn't shiny in the first place? Rough towel-drying, blow-frying, and "intense" styling isn't exactly going to make for a happy head of hair. I get a lot of difference with a cold rinse - certainly not frizz-free, but definitely more shine.

Thanks for the link Gypsygirl, some interesting things to think about. :flower:

HuggyBear
September 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I also disagree with the cold water-shiny hair thing. My hair is always much shinier if I rinse my hair with cold water but, then again, I don't towel dry, blow-fry, or really "style" my hair with products. Guess that would make a big difference in effectiveness. :)

AstrayStar
September 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I was surprised about the cold water thing too - although maybe they say that because they are assuming people will use heat to dry/style their hair???

dreamy10
September 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
The most accurate thing in the whole article" Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet":)

lapushka
September 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM
The most accurate thing in the whole article" Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet":)

ITA! :cheese:

The cowlick thing is also wrong. I have a few. Adding lots of weight to the hair (growing it long) will definitely help. When it's short it will do whatever it wants, though!

Gypsygirl
September 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Yes, same here... But I liked the recipes. ;)

baobhan sith
September 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Most of the myths were fairly obvious stuff (like don't do the 100 strokes a day), but Care2 reckon something I've read people on here do is a myth.

Myth 5: A cold rinse keeps hair shiny and frizz-free.
Contrary to popular belief, giving freshly washed hair a final rinse with cool water does not seal the cuticle, keep it shiny, or prevent frizziness. Cold water can temporarily help the hair’s cuticle to lay flatter, but the effect instantly wears off after towel-drying, blow-drying, or intense styling. The only thing a cold-water rinse is good for is a morning pick-me-up. Try this DIY formula for shiny hair (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/diy-for-shiny-hair.html).

Oh wait. Maybe not everyone towel dries, blow dries, or styles "intensely". They don't answer for people that treat their hair nicely!

So, my question is, does it work? Does it stay smooth if you're gentle, or does the cuticle go back up as your hair warms/dries.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/7-hair-care-myths-debunked.html?page=2

Loreley
September 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55361
Here is a thread, it was started today about the same article.

baobhan sith
September 9th, 2010, 11:40 AM
LOL - I just posted this link here too! oops...

Night_Kitten
September 9th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I also disagree with the cold water-shiny hair thing. My hair is always much shinier if I rinse my hair with cold water but, then again, I don't towel dry, blow-fry, or really "style" my hair with products. Guess that would make a big difference in effectiveness. :)

^ Exactly that! ^
As I don't towel-dry or heat-style or put products in (except for a little jojoba oil on the ends), the "temporary" effect is not so temporary :D

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks for sharing!

skaempfer
February 24th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Here's a second for 'the don't believe everything you read on the internet.'

In addition to myth number four, "You can restore damaged hair back to health," did everyone notice the "how to repair your hair with olive oil" article link? I know evoo is beneficial, but it always cracks me me up how these magazines contradict themselves. After all, they want readers, right? The last thing they want to print is "don't worry, everything we said last month is still true. Go read somebody's blog instead."

:rolleyes: