PDA

View Full Version : Scalp color?

Tap Dancer
May 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
I was watching 10 Years Younger yesterday and the hairdresser told the lady who's hair she was cutting that she should vigorously wash her scalp because of the build-up. She said the woman's scalp was white and that meant she had build-up. She said a healthy scalp is light pink.

I disagree about the "healthy scalp" part.

My scalp is very white and it always has been. I know I don't have build-up. I think it's because my hair is so thick. I've never gotten a sunburn on my scalp...not even when I spent hours outside with my hair down and my part exposed. It never changes color.

Maybe the woman had flakes and the hairdresser didn't want to say that on TV so she said it was build-up? That's what my mom suggested.

What do you guys think?

florenonite
May 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Uh ... any of my skin that doesn't see the sun is white. It's because I'm from a country that doesn't get much sunlight. My scalp doesn't see much sun because it's covered in hair, and is therefore white. In short, I think this woman's full of sh*t.

Anje
May 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Another pale person here... My scalp is bright white unless I've managed to sunburn my part. DH's is white too, and he's got a few freckles on it.

ETA: Now I'm waiting for all our darker-skinned members to show up and announce that their scalps are brown and speculate on the horrible condition it would have to be in to turn pink. :)

Pegasus Marsters
May 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'm another one here with a white scalp. I'm white all over infact ;) The only time my scalp has ever gone pink was when I had a reaction to some hair products.

wonderlywroughte
May 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
I'm not pale, I've got olive-toned skin, and my scalp is just a lighter version of my skin tone. I'd look sort of creepy with a PINK toned scalp since the rest of my skin is not pink toned at all.

Aronomy
May 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Light pink from all the vigorous scrubbing, right? Lol.

jojo
May 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
im an olive skinned girl and my scalp is paler, the only time i have had a pink scalp was when i bleached my hair, the woman is talking crap, pink suggests inflammation or trauma!

birdiefu
May 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
My scalp is white, I am light-skinned with yellow undertones. Honestly, in all my days of looking at other people's heads, the only time I've seen a pink scalp is when it was sunburned.

Poolsoflaughter
May 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I have pink-toned skin (especially my face) and my scalp is pink too...I dunno, it could be high blood pressure..:confused:

FrannyG
May 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
My scalp is always very white, and it has been for 46 years. I don't have any scalp problems at all, and I don't have buildup. I can't imagine what this woman was talking about. :shrug:

Islandgrrl
May 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have a lovely white scalp.

Riot Crrl
May 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Maybe the woman had flakes and the hairdresser didn't want to say that on TV so she said it was build-up? That's what my mom suggested.

I had a similar thought, that it was euphemistic. But I thought maybe what she actually meant was "grey."

tuuli
May 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
I have pink-toned skin (especially my face) and my scalp is pink too...I dunno, it could be high blood pressure..:confused:
No, it must be your skin undertone. ;)
My scalp is white with a pink undertone. Just like my face.

Rain
May 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
My scalp is paper white. The rest of me looks tan in comparison. I shaved my head in high school. My scalp did not have build-up. It is just white.

MoldyCake
May 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I have a lovely white scalp.

Me too, it only turns pink when exposed to bleach or harsh chemicals.

flapjack
May 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I have light olive toned skin and my scalp is the same pale yellowy color as my face. I tan easily everywhere else but my scalp stays the same color. It's never peeled and I don't get dandruff. And I never use hair products, the skin up there is always smooth and never itchy. So this person is on something, pretty much. Most people with light and medium skin tones have very light scalps, it's normal.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
The question here is: How long after scrubbing vigorously should you look at your scalp to determine if it's pink or not?

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hey - I just noticed. Mine looks pink in my avatar picture. Guess I'm good to go.

Ruadh
May 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Mine is white except for when I'm in the sun too long. Ouch!

Shermie Girl
May 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
My scalp is pretty white, too. Always has been. I am pretty fair and my scalp is a little lighter than my facial skin. :)

I think that particular hairdresser needs to do a little more research. :p

kwaniesiam
May 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Yep, I'm white all over, especially the scalp, unless I'm out in the sun too much which I generally try to avoid at all costs. White scalp =/= build up, after removing my dreads I had scalp build up, and after a good scritching (yes, it felt wonderful :) ) the gunk was yellowish. :huh:

Dianyla
May 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm somewhat pinkishly complected, and my scalp is similar to the rest of my skin. It gets really red if I'm blushing, just like the rest of me.

Basically, I'd expect healthy scalp skin color to be just like your body skin color, only paler.

alligatorbaby23
May 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Scalp is blue/white here. Dark hair + light scalp. My friend has a pinkish scalp, but has lighter brown/blonde hair.
And who listens to hair dressers anyways?!?

julya
May 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
My scalp is pinkish, but I am a generally pinkish person. My scalp is about the same color as my forehead, I just checked in the mirror.

ColoradoDreamer
May 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
I also have a white scalp. With some freckles on it. I know. I was bald once.

That woman is definitely full of it.

Nevermore
May 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
My scalp is the same color as my inner forearm-vampire white. No build up here either.

Starr
May 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Well I'm brown and my scalp has never been pink and never will be. . .lol.

kate46
May 23rd, 2008, 02:36 AM
My scalp is a mixture of white and very slightly pink but as I have very thin hair I'm sure the slight pink is from the sun rather than the white being from build up.

BittSweetCherry
May 23rd, 2008, 03:23 AM
I have a bright white scalp, my sisters both have bright white scalps, my Mum has a pinkish/tanning scalp now her hair is thinning and it is getting some sun exposure and my Dad has a white scalp except for his balding spot.

The only time I've seen a pink scalp that I couldn't attribute to sun exposure was my BF's, and there was something about it which made me warn him to rinse more thoroughly and be alert to any tenderness - it was an ever-so-slightly blotchy inflammation pink. He uses "natural" shampoo with aloe vera, but it has SLS so goodness knows how good it is. And no condish!

No offence to anyone with healthy pink scalps - I just mean that is silly to say "pink is healthier than white" and leaving it at that.

Maybe they meant "white and scaly" (ie. dandruff) rather than untanned white? Or the intention was to encourage massaging the scalp and increase bloodflow? :shrug:

Hypnotica
May 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
*shakes head*

My scalp is white or orange (if I have just done henna to my roots.) :D

Shermie Girl
May 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Well I'm brown and my scalp has never been pink and never will be. . .lol.

***:lol:***

luciole
May 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
My scalp has the same colour as my skin, a bit paler though.

HairColoredHair
May 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
My scalp's pink right now... it's burnt.

Usually it's very white. Just like the rest of me.

k_hepburn
May 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Well, I guess you witnessed the creation of another hair myth. Hoards of people will be running to buy chelating shampoos to get their scalp back to a nice "healthy" pink. To speak with Judge Judy: Baloney!

katharine