PDA

View Full Version : Question about cones

Back_To_Basics
September 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if you eliminate cones from products
(I started to CO for the past month 1/2)
does the hair go through an acclimation period because of the removal of cones. I read on some older posts that some members hair like cones..and after taking them out their hair felt dry..etc. I was just wondering is there a waiting period
for the hair to go through with not using cones, and has anyone ever waited it out to see if hair made it through with out re adding cones? Or did you re add the cones right away because of the dryness...or what evr your hair was not liking about the "no cones"
I'm sorry if this sounds stupid..but I had to ask.
Thanks for any help.

Capybara
September 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that, in order to make sure something worked for you, you had t keep trying it for 6 weeks - or was it 6 months? :confused: I'm sure someone else has the true answer :)

Angeletti
September 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I tried going without cones for a couple of months, so I finally came to the conclusion that my hair just likes them and I don't think waiting any longer would have changed how my hair felt without them.

Back_To_Basics
September 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks, I'm starting to think my hair likes cones as well. I'v been keeping a journal of my routine for the past month 1/2 and
by looking back upon it I think my hair does like cones.
Is there a section that I could put my regimen for the past month and half. Maybe someone can take a look at it and tell me what they think. Thanks again.

ktani
September 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks, I'm starting to think my hair likes cones as well. I'v been keeping a journal of my routine for the past month 1/2 and
by looking back upon it I think my hair does like cones.
Is there a section that I could put my regimen for the past month and half. Maybe someone can take a look at it and tell me what they think. Thanks again.

There are different kinds and types of cones. They are not evil. They can help block moisture vapour from the hair and if over used can cause the hair to be dry. However, not in all cases.

Cones can be soluble and not build-up. Using them in products can be no worse than using any other ingredient that can possibly build-up. The result is the same. Build-up can cause the hair to be dry, brittle, tangle, be lank, dull and more.

Many natural oils, butters and cosmetic waxes can build-up, causing the exact same problems.

little_cherry
September 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
There are different kinds and types of cones. They are not evil. They can help block moisture vapour from the hair and if over used can cause the hair to be dry. However, not in all cases.

Cones can be soluble and not build-up. Using them in products can be no worse than using any other ingredient that can possibly build-up. The result is the same. Build-up can cause the hair to be dry, brittle, tangle, be lank, dull and more.

Many natural oils, butters and cosmetic waxes can build-up, causing the exact same problems.
Amodimethicone (&) Trideceth-12 (&) Cetrimonium Chloride (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) found in 'L'Oreal Natures Therapy Mega Moisture' (at Sally's or online)... is the only cone listed in the article so far that is 'water soluble'....the rest can be removed via clarifying wash or SLS shampoo.

ktani
September 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Amodimethicone (&) Trideceth-12 (&) Cetrimonium Chloride (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) found in 'L'Oreal Natures Therapy Mega Moisture' (at Sally's or online)... is the only cone listed in the article so far that is 'water soluble'....the rest can be removed via clarifying wash or SLS shampoo.

That is the thing though. Sunsilk Lively Blonde Shampoo contains dimethiconol. It is not water soluble according to articles quoted here. However, after researching dimethiconol, there are different kinds with different weights and viscisities.

I have been using that shampoo for years. It has removed build-up from conditioners and natural products I have tried and does not build-up on its own. There are 2 factors here, the silicone itself and the formulation it is in.

Back_To_Basics
September 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Below is my regimen..I'm sorry :o if there is grammer mistakes.
I'm working on that. I hope it is ok to post this here.

July 27 added coconut oil +Aloe

CO Washed July 7/29/2010
Hair Journal - Week 1
1st finger combed hair-
Wet hair , poured about 1/2 bottle of V05 Tea Tree Chamomile Conditioner-

Ingredients:Water (Aqua)
Cetyl Alcohol,Cetrimonium Chloride,Stearalkonium Chloride,Stearyl Alcohol,Steareth-21,Glyceryl Stearate,Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract
Chamomilla Recutita ,(Matricaria) Flower Extract,Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract,Tocopheryl Acetate,Biotin,Niacinamide,Polysorbate20,Ascorbic Acid,Panthenol,Propylene Glycol,DMDM Hydantoin,Disodium EDTA,Fragrance (Parfum
(Note - NO CONE)
on to hair massaged conditioner all over hair and gently put hair into a
bun on top of head put a little more conditioner and made it soppy.
Put 2 plastic bags around head..tied then added a dark bag over top of that and tied. After about 20 minutes..I finger massaged hair while still
covered by bags. After another 10 minutes I took bag off and massaged
scalp with finger tips...covered and let stay for another 20 minutes.
I rinsed with cool water for about 10 minutes then cold rinsed another 5 minutes..until everything felt like it was out..while rinsing I combed hair out and let the water rinse while combing... my head was upside down in tube standing on side of tub (\not fun but will do differently next time)after I squeezed water out I combed again, squeezed water out, and paper towel squeezed excess water from hair I combed again then massaged scalp...let it absorb all the water that remained in my hair...I then combed again...then let air dry down. While still damp added coconut oil the Nutavi kind. I will put it up in a messy bun.
The texture already feels soft..and smooth. I will let it dry up in the bun..and see what happens tomorrow.
So far so good looks very soft..and shiny.

Hair completely dry up in bun Day 2 - 7/30/2010
Took hair down hair felt nice smooth and light - scalp felt clean but tight, and dry (No dandruff). I added a tiny bit of coconut oil “Natuvi” after about 1hr squirted water on to my scalp…and also length…let dry then put up in my half bun..for the rest of the day. Hair felt good for the whole week I just kept wetting, and messy bun up.
(Note - shine was just ok, hair fullness, bounce, softness was also just ok.

ETA:

8 Days Until washed 8/7/2010

Hair felt very thick, and dry...I fingered combed then wet hair all the way through I then added my V05 tea tree chamomile conditioner on to hair massaged conditioner all over hair and gently put hair into a bun on top of head put a lot more conditioner and made it soppy, covered with plastic bag. Left on for 1 hr
before rinse I massaged scalp until conditioner became very creamy...I then added water to my hair and massaged more..then I rinsed in warm water for about 3 minutes..then max cold rinse. I rinsed for about 10 minutes..then squeezed water down to roots...I added Givanni reconstruct to ends..and massaged a bit around scalp area..then I rinsed again for about 5 minutes. I squeezed water out of hair then combed gently through
I left hair kind of soaking wet...squeezing the excess water to ends..then letting the moisture soak into the hair..
once the water was not dripping but very wet...I added "Nativa Coconut oil" I then messy bun hair. I waited about 20 minutes hair was very moist I then added more coconut oil...then combed with wooding comb..let dry..then bunned before going into work.

13 days until washed 8/20/2010
In between the 13 days of not washing I only watered hair...put a mixer of coconut oil, and aloe..I put them in separately though..only twice once the first week
then once the second week. I kept wetting hair..but it felt vary dry...after the 10th day...I noticed ends where vary dry..hair was very limp no body dull looking, and
frizzy. I clarified with Ion shampoo..then I added water to the remaining moisturizer (bumble bumble) that was left..and sopped my hair with it like almost 2 cups finished the rest of my shower got out put up in wet bun then covered with plastic bag... left on a total of about 30 minutes.
The moisturizer stayed on..after I rinsed..I then added V05 tea tree chamomile conditioner to ends..and rinsed well. I squeezed water to ends and let drip dry..for a tad bit...I then combed then put up in messy bun. The next morning hair felt great bouncy and had that cool moisturized feeling when I ran fingers through it...I then combed it again with wooding comb..took my pantene cond..added a drop of Jojoba oil..and rubbed into ends...then wood combed again..put back up in half bun..waiting to see results. (Note - In between wet hair.... my hair felt fine for 2 days..then started to look dull, hair felt dry crispy I kept spray watering hair, and wore it up.)

11 days until washed hair 8/31/2010
I washed my hair with regular shampoo "Beyond The Zone - Noodle Head Curly Hair" (I know I don't have curly hair but I like how this makes my hair feel)
Ingredients:
WATER, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, DICETYLDIMONIUM* 1 CHLORIDE, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, AMODIMETHICONE, BEHENTRIMONIUM* METHOSULFATE, BENZOPHRENONE-4, CITRIC ACID, CITRUS MEDICA LIMONUM (LEMON) FRUIT EXTRACT, DIMETHY LAURAMINE ISOSTEARATE, GLYCERIN, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED EXTRACT, ISOLAURETH-6, LINOLEAMIDOPROPYL ETHYLDIMONIUM* ETHOSULFATE, OCTOXYNOL-40, PEG-8, PEG-8.SMDI COPOLYMER, PPG-1 TRIDECETH-6, PALMITOYL MYRISTYL SERINATE, POLYQUATERNIUM-37, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PROPYLENE GLYCOL DICAPYLATE/DICAPRATE, PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, PRUNUS ARMENIACA (APRICOT) KERNEL OIL, ROSA CANINA FRUIT EXTRACT, SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, WHEAT AMINO ACIDS, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, FRAGRANCE, RED 40, YELLOW 6 (*NOTE 3 drying agents / 1 CONE )

Back_To_Basics
September 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Then I moisturized with "Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstruct or Conditioner" :
Ingredients: Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived). (Note - NO CONES)

I let it soak in for about 20 minutes. then rinsed real good warm water then freezing cold. Squeezed excess water out let then combed with wide tooth comb after hair felt just wet but not dripping. Let air dry then put up in messy bun. Hair felt normal again...the moisture was ok.

Day 2 - 9/1 hair felt good
After combing slight frizz so I added- "Rx professional Prescription serum"to hair about 5 small drops
hair feels smooth and frizz seems to be under control.
Ingredients:
Cyclomethicone, dimethiconol,fragrance (parfume) octyl methoxycinnamate.
(Note - 2 CONES)

So far so good..hair feels ok, and ends feel like there back to normal...not crunchy or straggly looking.

(Note: "Before adding my serum to regime" when I did add coconut oil to my hair...it was always after washing just a nail scoop size smaller then a pea size.
hair was damp. Then when dry I would add just a tad bit then put hair up in messy bun. After a few days hair would start feeling crispy at ends
and kind of dull I would spray water on, and let get really wet while up in messy bun...hair started to get frizzy sticking out everywhere.)

In between just watered hair with spray bottle,and combed with wide tooth, and wooding comb- until now
Take hair down finger comb..then add water from spray bottle (water is distilled)
I notice less, and less hair shedding..and fewer strands of loss hair. I also added more of
"Rx professional Prescription serum to hair about 1 small drop while damp after spraying with water.
Let dry a bit and put back up in messy bun. NO frizz, and hair feels good. Highlights look very golding..I guess that is because of the
serum (CONES). coating the hair. I paid attention to my ends, and length the most while applying the serum.
All in all this last week has been pretty good hair days. I try to go as long as I can with out washing..as you can see with the dates..etc.

5 Days waited to wash 9/5/2010
Wet hair applied V05 tea tree chamomile conditioner on to hair massaged conditioner all over hair and gently put hair into a
bun on top of head put allot more conditioner and made it soppy. then covered with plastic bag...wet a towel with hot water and placed over head making towel hot 3 times and replacing over head then rinsed in 1/2 hour for almost 15 minutes very cold water final rinse. After, let hair soaking wet..I waited about 10 minutes then fingered combed before applying a nail size very small amount of coconut oil to soaking wet hair.
Hair is dripping wet too. I rolled it up in a very loose bun on the top of my head..and just let it dry. Hair feels thick right now..and feels very soft..comb slid right through while combing it with my wide tooth comb. Before going into work put hair up in a messy bun ..and left it up..right before leaving work my scrunchi broke and hair
came out..it looked very moisturized....but as it started to dry it looked a little dry...not a lot but a little. Once I got home I sprayed it with my distilled water..and put it back up in a messy bun..over night..

9/6/2010
In the morning my hair looked very full, shiny, and soft...no dry poofy looking hair.
After I fingered combed....I then ran my wooding brush through it..and it lost that look I had before combing it. It's not a bad look but I can't even describe what I mean..
I guess I mean that silky...bouncy perfect shiny look. After I comb..it looks kinda poofy and slightly dry.
I wet my hair again..spray bottled (distilled water) I made hair really damp,and added a little serum about 3 drops then I messy bun it back up.
I left along until next day.

9/7/2010
When I took hair down today hair was very nice...it had the bounce, fullness,softness and shine...no frizz, and the highlights looked lovely.
I fingered combed....and all seemed well I did not want to run any comb through it fearing I'd loose that hair affair. I sprayed it with my distilled
water, and messy bun it back up. I'm starting to think my hair likes cones??. (Note - hair looked really good..it had the deep moisture looking, soft, shiny, thickness..and no frizzies.

ETA:

My hair still feels kinda dry. Maybe I should try a leave in as well?
Thanks again for any help.

dreamy10
September 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I just try to keep them as little as possible. Not wipe out altogether, but avoid it in majority of products.

little_cherry
September 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
After reading your routine and all, I'm wondering if you should clarify and then do an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128), fox's shea conditioning creme (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586) or a heavier oil treatment with olive oil (wash hair a few hours before bed time, oil while hair is very damp, sleep with oil on hair. Soak hair in conditioner in morning after rinsing with warm water, and CO or or shampoo and condition out)?

Applying cones on dry hair isn't a good idea..I would go the full on moisture battle first.

irishlady
September 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hi there!

I can only speak for myself, but I've found that my hair seems to like cones and cone-free products, so for me it doesn't really make a difference depending on the season of year.

In summer I've found that I benefit more from cone products, and I love Mane 'N Tail for then, but I switch it around everytime with a shampoo bar from Lush and Tesco's coconut shampoo and conditioner, sometimes Tresemmé, I don't know, it just looks better with cones in the humidity.

In winter I still use a few coney products, but I really like the natural cone free products for then too, in the harsh temperatures we have sometimes here. It doesn't dry out too much then. I like seaweed hairproducts that healthfood shops have here, and Avalon Organics or Kiss my Face products, want to try Natures Gate sometime too :)

It's just trial and error really, and you'll need to try both and see. Some people say it takes a few weeks to switch, others just have a constant greaseball and need to stick with what they know. So wait and see.

Good luck!

Back_To_Basics
September 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I did clarified on 8/20 ..then followed with the remaining moisturizer (bumble bumble). I left that on for about 30 minutes

I will have to clarify again, and try the SMT, fox's shea conditioning creme.