PDA

View Full Version : How much money have you saved in hairdresser costs since joining LHC

Hotrox
September 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I was reading the thread about the cost of vitamins just now and it got me thinking.....

I have only been here 3 months, but in that time I would normally have had at least 2 cut and colour sessions at the Hair Dresser.

Each time I go I spend $1400 HKD, - 117 pounds or $180 USD

Even if you take off the cost of my henna, jojoba, coconut and castor oil purchases off this I am seriously saving money

Infact, about $300 up

Wow, another unexpected beenfit of the LHC :D:cheese:

Some of you serious non trimmers must have saved yourself a small fortune?

RitaPG
September 7th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I have *never* been to a hairdresser in my life. Ever :D
My mom used to cut my hair at home when I was little. Now I cut my own hair.

Sundial
September 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I did!!

I used to:
1. trim every 3-4 weeks = approximately US$76,
2. color every 2-3 months = approximately US$156 for my hair length (includes the cost of treatment), and
3. salon treatments every month = approximately US$65 for my hair length

OMG! Now that you got me to list it out, it suddenly hit me that I had been spending a lot on my hair :agape: LHC has definitely saved me a small fortune :cheese:

Now ..... I guess I can justify some spending on hair toys to reward myself right?? :eyebrows: It's no wonder my DH hasn't complained about my recent hair toy buying frenzy! It must have seemed like a small splurge compared to my past spending habits. I bet he must be secretly happy that I found LHC!

Flossy
September 7th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I can't say I've saved any money!

I joined just after a trip to the hairdressers, and I refuse to let my natural colour take over, so I still get my colour (foil highlights) done. I've gone one more time since then, and the money I saved by not having a trim was negated by getting a semi on underneath of my hair.

Next trip, at the start of October, should be cheaper as I will only get the foils.

I don't want to think about the amount of money I have spent on products and toys since June though!

Roseate
September 7th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I haven't saved much... I've been getting my hair trimmed or cut twice a year for a long time. My first year at LHC I skipped a trim, so went a year without one; that saved me about $65.

I got split ends for the first time in my life after that, so I'm back to my twice-a-year schedule, and won't be saving any more on the hairdresser.

I'm sure I've spent at least 65$ on oils and cassia and hairtoys, so I think it's probably a wash, money-wise.

ravenreed
September 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Oh no, I am definitely in the hole financially, since joining LHC. I was never big into frequent hair cuts. I would go a whole year without one. I spend far more now on conditioners than I used to, as well as things like catnip, ACV, and rosemary, and I don't even want to think about my hair toy addiction.

Kathie
September 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I’d get my hair cut and half a head of foils every 8(ish) weeks. That would cost about $120. But then I would always get some new hair product or shampoo and/or conditioner, usually a couple of things. Typically the cost for hair salon quality products is $25 upwards. So, that’s about $85/month.

Now.... trims are happening every 3 months at $18 (yay for dry cuts). I use shampoo bars and one bar can last a month and a half, even with the exchange rate thats about 7 a month. I brought a heap of oils and butters for $30 (ish) recently but thats going to last ages, say a year! So in total my monthly hair bill is now $16 (rounded).

I'm saving around $69 a month!! :D:D

StarryNight
September 8th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Oh lets see...

Salon trim every 4 weeks - 20$ (about 260$ a year)

Salon poo and cond. every 2-3 months - 40$ (about 160$ a year)

Salon misc. product to try and correct all of the problems that were created from the bad advice/treatment - 30$ a month-ish (about 360$ a year)

Box at-home color every 6 weeks or so - 20$ (I need at least two boxes - About 180$ a year)

Flat iron - 80$ (needed to be replaced because mine was breaking)

Hair drier - 50$ (needed to be replaced because it broke)

Curling iron - 40$ (needed a bigger barrel)

So that would be about 1,130$ this year. Being conservative.

Phexlyn
September 8th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Not much, because I've only been a member since July :D

Even if I count the years during which I've been actively growing my hair, it's not much. I used to go to the hairdresser once or twice a year for cutting/trimming the ends straight across... I think it was € 20 each time?
Every now and then (less than once a year) I'd get some semi-permanent colour or highlights, so that would be around € 50, I think.

Considering other expenses, my shampoo then was quite expensive, so I think I save more by switching to a different shampoo... which is compensated by purchasing more conditioner, more hairtoys, oils and such.

I don't think I'm saving much, if at all:o

Konstifik
September 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Nope, LHC has created a dip in my economy. :P
Before LHC, I got my hair trimmed a few times per year, and used whatever shampoo and conditioner that was in the bathroom. Hair loose or in a ponytail every day.

Now I buy toys, special products, treatments, oils... Way more money than pre-LHC. :P
But I don't regret it at all! :D

swanns
September 8th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Not much because I only visited the salon about once every six months if even that often even before I joined :D Have never been much of a hairdresser person really. Actually I think I might be spending more money on my hair now because I'm buying oils and toys and whatnot when before I just ignored the fact I had hair.

Hotrox
September 8th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Hmmmmm, I can see that once my hair is longer I am also going to be splurging on beautiful hair toys, I was just in the Ficcares thread and can see that I can easily spend some money there!

I am itching to spend already :D

LILBERT
September 8th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I was never a regular salon visitor but i am now a regular hairtoy buyer, so im actually spending more money unfortunatly :p

Juneii
September 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM
not if you count the amount of hairtoys I bought since then. I trim my hair about twice a year for about $18 at my hairdresser. multiply that by two and the two years I have been on here: $72.
I have bought way too many hairtoys, oils, creams, other products recommended by other members on here that I am sure the amount trumps the mere $72 I didn't use.

VanillaTresses
September 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
"More than enough to justify my hair toy habit!" :D

Jezerellica
September 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Whoaa!! This is great!! I have saved so much! Thank you LHC! Even with coconut oil added and more conditioner, I have saved hundreds of dollars. So, so wonderful.

I was at the salon getting color and haircut every six weeks and it was crazy over $150.00!!! No more of that. I LOVE my long hair.

In2wishin
September 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Count me in as another who has spent more money since joining. I haven't been to a salon in about 6 years (do my own trims) and have never been a product junkie. I HAVE bought more hairtoys and stuff than usual though.

In 4 months with LHC I have bought:

2 Flexi-8's
1 pint of Jamaican Black Castor oil
Washing herbs (bringraj, brahmi, neem, lavender, ritha, fenugreek)
hair ointment (lavender, thyme,rosemary, atlas cedarwood EO's plus fractionated coconut oil)
1 yak horn comb
2 wood combs
1 snood
3 hair forks

RachelRain
September 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Honestly, I haven't saved anything via haircuts, because I've only gone to three hairdressers in my life (but I did used to go to a barber or my aunt to get my hair trimmed, which only cost like five bucks!) and the last time I cut my hair was a year ago. I've cut my own hair since I was 13 or 14, though.

Now, were this the 'how much money have you spent on conditioner' thread, THAT would be a small fortune.

I bought two packets of bobby pins since coming here (which I have yet to master!), a big thing of coconut oil that's about a third gone, a big tub of aloe gel, and a couple of clips. I would've eventually got the clips anyways, since mine always seem to end up missing or broken. I need to go buy more stuff! lol.

Mexibeach
September 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Well, I used to trim every 3 -4 months... apprix $40 per cut ... about $120.... I will save money starting now - it's been 4 months since my icky cut ... so I guess I have saved the $40 now. LOL

Nightshade
September 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Not nearly enough to offset what I've spent on hairtoys. Probably by several orders of magnitude :oops:

rags
September 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Not nearly enough to offset what I've spent on hairtoys. Probably by several orders of magnitude :oops:

This, exactly.

spidermom
September 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I'm definitely saving money. When I joined LHC, I was getting my hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks at $25.00 per trim. Now I get it trimmed every 3-4 months at most, having gone an entire year without trimming 2008-2009, and having only trimmed once this year so far. I'm not a big collector of hair implements, either. A few is enough. I prefer rather low-key designs that are mostly hidden in my hair, so no need for every color of the rainbow to match my clothes or anything like that.

dreamsofnorns
September 8th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Well, I only joined last week, so, I' ve spent zip in that time :)
I've never been to a solon and I hope I'll never have to go to one. I get very uncomfortable with people wielding scissors around my head. The only people who have ever cut my hair are my mother and my grandmother. I used to get a trim every four months, but starting in high school I started every six months, in December and June.
This past December I had about 6 inches removed because I seriously damaged it for a school opera production (it was worth it, but I'm never putting glitter and hairspray in my hair again at the same time!) and it felt like straw and was breaking off everywhere. I haven't had anything done since then, and I probably won't get another trim until this December when I go home from college.
So I've saved zero dollars because I didn't spend any to begin with.
I usually spend about $10 a month on hair products and every five or six months I buy new bobby pins and hair elastics because the old ones break. So I probably spend $250 dollars a year on hair things.
It was cool to see all of the different reactions to this question :)

Hylia
September 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Well when I did get haircuts I only spent like 15 bucks max and I would usually dye my own hair almost every month for 10 dollars. But I do still henna my hair, so I haven`t saved much. If I need a trim, my boyfriends dad does it for free since he is a hairdresser. So huge savings there =D

TinaDenali
September 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Since I got my hair cut in August 2008, I have not been to a hair cutter since. I used to go about 4 times a year, average of about $50 each time, so $400 in those two years? Not to mention the costs saved of using a menstrual cup instead of tampons, wood hair sticks instead of plastic clips that break all the time, diluting my shampoo/conditioner, washing my hair only every other day instead of every day, not wearing make up anymore (that's a huge one!!), etc.... so many things!

enfys
September 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I have *never* been to a hairdresser in my life. Ever :D
My mom used to cut my hair at home when I was little. Now I cut my own hair.

Absolute ditto.

Let's not begin to think how much we've saved in our lifetimes; the other will be jealous. :silly:

Heidi_234
September 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Well, lets say each trim would be somewhere around 10$ at the local barbershop, there could have been done about 12 trims by now, minus 20$ for the cost of the scissors = 100$. Not a huge amount of saved money, but the amount of hair I saved by switching to self-trimming and length gained = priceless!

Gvnagitlvgei
September 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Except for the occasional once in 5 years hair braiding at an African shop, not a damned thing lol. In fact, I've become a product junkie hehe. I'd probably have saved more money going TO a salon. LHC and LHCF are killing my bank account.

Speedbump
September 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm another one who probably hasn't actually saved any money. After a horrible "thinning" cut that left me in tears and took five years to grow out, I didn't go to the hairdresser for *16 years*. :lol: So I actually went a few times a few years ago and it greatly improved my hair because I had so much damage at the time. Since then, I have bought tons of products, hairtoys and other stuff. So yeah, I'm totally in the hole. :o But at least I'm happy about it! :p

MsBubbles
September 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I have NOT spent $1200 on highlights over the past 3 years! Well that's putting it in perspective! The only hair toys that stay in my hair are those cheap little tiny claw clips, or floppy ponytail holders. I don't use much conditioner any more since going to scalp washes. Most money I spend nowadays is on the odd bottle of camellia oil = $15 shipped.

That was a fun little exercise! Thanks for making me think about it.

1953Diygal
September 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I actually really really really wish I could afford to go to my guy for a trim, but I can't afford the $40. I had to cancel my gym membership. My ends look like.....well, probably not as bad as I think they look, but yeah, I guess I could put a positive spin on it and think of it as saving money.

Dars
September 8th, 2010, 07:53 PM
It's been 21.5+ months since I've gotten a cut the hairdressers and if I stuck by my 12 week appointments I would have spent an extra $120 at the rate of $15 per visit. Handy but small, my biggest savings have occurring through my recovery of being a product junkie! The only products I use now are extremely cheap shampoo and conditioner.

LaurelSpring
September 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Initially, I would say that my hair toy and product addiction offset any salon savings. Now that Im pretty set on toys and products it has tipped to the savings side.

nowxisxforever
September 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I haven't saved anything since I never voluntarily went to the hairdresser and I've been at LHC since I was under my father's roof. My mother and grandmother made me go to the hairdresser maybe 5 times tops, and everything else was my mother or grandmother cutting or dying or bleaching or perming my hair, whatever they wanted to do, themselves.

I stopped getting my hair cut unless there was a reason (nasty knots, trims, etc) when I was 12 or 13 when I moved in with my dad. :)
:cheese:

Edit: I also don't buy hairtoys very often, and use about as much product as I did before. I was always really low-maintenance. I tend to get a wild hair up my rear periodically and buy something too expensive that I don't need and don't end up using because of LHC, but it evens out to about the same since it's so few and far between.

Othala
September 9th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I've saved nothing because what I don't spend on the hairdresser I spend on deep conditioners. Actually more.

MPringle
September 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I have only been a member for about two days or so, so obviously I haven't saved myself a ton of money yet, however I suppose I have wasted a bit in a way. Since joining, I threw away my $250.00 hair-straightener, my blow dryer, my hair brush, some harsh products and I just booked a much needed hair appointment to take off a couple inches of very damaged ends which will cost me about $65.00. BUT, to make up for my loss I bought some new hair toys that I otherwise would not have bought if I hadn't joined LHC and some new products that my hair will love. :)

jackiesjottings
September 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I used to have my hair cut three times a year and it cost about £35.00 a time. My last visit to the hairdressers was in Oct 2004. Maths isn't my strong point.. but have saved a fair bit, though I have probably respent it buying hair toys ;)

Fractalsofhair
September 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I've really only gotten my hair cut 2x a year for most of my life. However, now I don't get highlights(stopped before joining LHC actually, since they didn't really change the color), and henna is much cheaper. My shampoo bars, ACV and an expensive natural conditioner still cost less than Salon products. However, now I'm looking at hairtoys!!! Hmmm... xD

slythwolf
September 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Since joining LHC, I haven't really saved anything, because I'd been cutting my own hair for at least seven years, and before that my mom mostly cut it. I've never been able to afford having it professionally colored.

pepperminttea
September 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Apart from a short foray into salon hairdressers, during which cuts were about £40+, and when my hair was cut by my relatives when I was a child, most of my haircuts were my godsister's work - she's a trained hairdresser who's worked from home since having children. I would arrive at her house with my hair freshly washed in a towel turban, and she used to charge me a very reasonable £15 for a cut, blowdry, and often - eek - straightening. I think she last cut my hair three years ago? Something like that. I used to go to her every 12-18 months, yo-yo-ing between BSL and a layered long bob.

I now self-trim, every 9-12 months usually, not counting S&Ding. So I've saved about £30-45, depending on when I would have gone for a cut, but my scissors cost me about £10, and that's not even mentioning hair toys, oils, and other hair-related experiments... I don't even want to think how much that would add up to. But I am a whole lot happier with my hair now than I was then, so I suppose at least now the money's worth it. :)

Unofficial_Rose
September 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Flipping heck - since I gave up highlights and trims every 6-7 weeks, take away what I've spent on henna and Indigo and 1 professional trim - in the region of £250, i.e $385. :shocked:

Clever idea for a thread, btw. :)

Rusalka
September 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I've saved approximately $2,000 this year

My expenses this year so far: $4 conditioner and shampoo, aloevera, glycerin, jojoba oil, ACV and 5 hairsticks (about $120 in total)

My expenses last year: 8-9 visits to hairdresser, $200 each + professional products over $100 + new flat iron every year, new hair dryer every year (about $2100 in total)

Wow, I've never calculated this out before. I can't believe I used to waste that much money!

christine1989
September 9th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'm saving A LOT on trims! I usually get about 4 trims a year and it costs about $70 each time (and that's with a considerable discount) so altogether I save $280 :). I am planning on getting a trim in January though so I look nice for my birthday. I may be brave enough to do it myself but if my ends are too bad I will make a trip to the salon.

Naamah
September 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Not much. I used to hate going to get my hair cut. I only did it about once a year. And I went basically anywhere, never spent more than $15. I always used to cut off about 4-5" at a time. Now I trim my own hair. Didn't spend much on my hair, and I still don't.

Nightshade
September 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
So Pre-LHC I used to use chemical dyes. $7/bottle, three bottles a month, two red one black. $21/month, $252 a year. I didn't pay for trims and there was the odd purchase of a clip here or there, but not enough to matter.

Now I probably spend $40/year on henna cassia, but my Etsy Hair Toy Bill just since the start of 2010 easily clears $600. So, uhm, no, I wouldn't say I'm saving much, but I have rockin toys and my hair is healthy :inlove:

TeddyK
September 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
IN my case since I have only been here for a week and have never had long hair before I can say that long hair has probably saved me like 500 dollars on hair cuts since i started growing even factoring extra conditioner or hair ties.

PineappleJello
September 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I think my hair cuts only ever cost maybe 12. So in the last few years pre-Lhc- $24/yr. Even before that it was about 4 trims a year @ $15. so I save about $30 on hair trims per year.

Pumpkin
September 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
How much have I saved? Alot!!

Every 4 weeks, I would spend give or take 40 dollars for a cut.
When I had the stylist do my color...tack on another 60 dollars every 4 weeks.
Oh yeah, the 25 dollar a bottle shampoo and conditioner, oh yeah, and the styling products...every couple or so months.

Eck!!!

Well, now, I trim my own hair....maybe 3 times this year. $0
I stopped coloring my own hair.
Using drugstore (cheap) shampoo and conditioner. My hair is very happy.

I thought I would start having a hair toy addiction, but honestly, I have maybe 7 toys...all very cheap too.

HintOfMint
September 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
In just hair salon visits, I am saving between 140 to 210 dollars a year. For the past year and a half I have gotten my hair cut once every six months, but now I'm stretching it out to nine months.

In terms of shampoo and conditioner, I'm saving as well. My shampoo is 2 dollars, and it lasts me a long time. While I go through conditioner like water, I'm spending 6 bucks on two conditioners (a light one and heavy one) total. I imagine it is still less money than when I would wash every day and use shampoo and conditioner at equal rates. I used to use John Frieda Root Awakening, so it was a little more than 12 dollars every 3 or 4 weeks.

I suppose my most expensive treat is honey for my hair. Even my coconut oil is inexpensive, and that's my only "product."

deko
September 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I haven't seen my hairdresser in three years. And even then I only had the trim 3-5 times a year. A plain trim costs ca 25 euros and if I went 4 times a year (my average) it would have been cost me 100 euros per year ? 300 eur for 3 years - every fine hair products & toys I have bought meantime so I say it's even :) or I'm slightly winning.

ScarlettAdelle
September 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Since I am a hairdresser and exchange services with another hairdresser friend of mine, as far as cutting goes, that would be a big, fat zero dollars... However, since I stopped coloring I've probably saved a good 30 bucks since I only paid for product... But I do know that if you were what I refer to as "A Reliable," which is a client who comes in every 5 weeks for a color touch up & a cut, in a year, and say you spent about $80 on the color (which is very low for my area) and the hairdresser added on the cut for $15, then a trip to the hairdresser would set you back about $95, and probably $105-$115 with tip you would most likely save around $1200 dollars a year, not counting product.

Carolyn
September 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I haven't saved anything. Before LHC I used Natural Instincts which ended up totally screwing up my hair. I think they changed their formula. So now I go to an Aveda salon and let someone who knows color and knows blonde hair take care of it. I don't trim nearly as often but the savings there is negligible compared to the color. I've spent a boatload on hair toys. But I'm happy and my hair is happy.

McFearless
September 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I spend MUCH more money now unfortunately. All the oils, hennas, conditioners, etc

Daniella123
September 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
SO MUCH MONEY. Can't even calculate.. well.. I just joined today but I have been on this site for a very very long time getting tips when I need them.
I stopped going to a hairdresser regularly 2 years ago, and have only been twice since then. (both time regretting it because they cut too much off, the second time leaving me with hair so short it was above my chin)