View Full Version : Tips for stretching out washes?

AprilElf
May 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Later this year I'm going to be living out of a suitcase for 6 weeks. It is most likely I won't be able to stick to my usual hair washing routine. I think time will probably be the main limiting factor, and I'm worried that even though I might be due for a wash, it might not be convenient.

So I was wondering if anyone had any handy tips for keeping hair looking and feeling good while extending the time between washes. I currently CWC once a week, and have good results with conditioner in the mister bottle between washes.

Guenever
May 22nd, 2008, 05:45 AM
Do you shampoo? If so, maybe dry shampoo could help? I've never tried it but I think that'll be my main suggestion!
And of course no fiddling: combing and often redoing updos, running your fingers through your hair etc.. that helped me stretch out my washes..

AprilElf
May 22nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Eeh-heh! I just popped back to say that I CWC. Doh - I knew I'd forgotten something important! :rolleyes:

Thanks Guenever! Hopefully I'll be too busy to be fiddling with my hair.

Irishred
May 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
You may want to look into hair powder. Cornstarch can also be used for this. If I remember correctly, you put it on your scalp area, let it sit a bit then comb or brush it well. May take just as long as washing but you would be less the drying time. There may be some that require less manipulation after application.

jojo
May 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
ooohhh where you going? sorry im a nosey old bird

id say a dry shampoo too btw!

suicides_eve
May 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
yepper i tried the cornstarch and it worked pretty good just make sure you shake it all out.
i start by keeping my hair up in a smiple pony tail ( my hair isn't that long but gets greasy quick) for the first few day using head bands to acessorize, then i would move to head scarfs/bandanna what ever you call them i love to wear them when i don't have time for a wash. nobody knows and they look so cute

alligatorbaby23
May 22nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah Where are you going? LoL. I take Cetaphil for my face on the road, some nice talc/cornstarch would be great too, as long as there is relatively low humidity. Powder is great for lots of places IMO.
-alligator

Nat242
May 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Corn starch or oat bran as a dry shampoo works pretty well...also hats, beanies, scarves, and bandanas ;)

Hope you have a great trip!

-- Natalie

Teilani
May 23rd, 2008, 01:47 AM
I will echo those mentioning cornstarch. It is something I use, and depending on the colour of your hair, the amount of 'brushing out' that is required can vary substantially. I would caution against too much brushing out if it can be avoided, because I have noticed how some of my cuticles that are a bit more damaged to begin with 'held' the powder and just seemed a bit more fragile. That aside, some of the slight increase in hair volume that I noticed was nice.

Between that and oiling the tips of my hair (perish the days when that coincides) I am much better about washing my brushes regularly.

AprilElf
May 23rd, 2008, 04:45 AM
I hadn't read about dry shampoo/powder before, so that gives me something new to research! Thanks for the replies one and all. :)

For jojo and alligator, who wanted to know ;) , I'm going to visit my sister in London and we'll be travelling in Scotland and Croatia, and I'll hopefully get to Ireland as well.

jojo
May 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
I hadn't read about dry shampoo/powder before, so that gives me something new to research! Thanks for the replies one and all. :)

For jojo and alligator, who wanted to know ;) , I'm going to visit my sister in London and we'll be travelling in Scotland and Croatia, and I'll hopefully get to Ireland as well.

what a wonderful adventure your going on, that is some trip have a wonderful time and take lots of photos to show us, i told you i was nosey but i love photos! have you been to the Uk before? pity your not up my end could have met up x

wimsey
May 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I add about 3 drops of Thyme EO to my CWC diluted shampoo (1 oz shampoo, 7oz water approximately). It seems to keep my hair smelling fresh longer

Haith
May 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in the UK/Europe, Lucky!!

I am trying to stretch out my washes as well, and I am going to echo what has already been said here: cornstarch and updo's. I put a small amount of cornstarch on my fingertips, massage it around my scalp for a few seconds and then shake me head a bit (I don't brush my hair). My hair is light, so you can't see the cornstarch in it, but it does dull the shine at my roots. However, the increased volume and staying power that it gives my hair means that I can do a great-looking braid for the rest of the day. However, I can only do this for one day (maybe two), and then my hair is in desperate need of a wash or to be hidden under a scarf. HTH!

mellie
May 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Here is a dry shampoo that I tried last week on my oily, greasy hair, and it worked beautifully - my husband was really impressed!

Blend in food processor:
6 oz. corn meal
20 drops castor oil
30 drops lemon essential oil

Massage into hair, and brush out (I did this outside).

Just took a few minutes to do, and the results were amazing!

AprilElf
May 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Thank you for your input wimsey and Haith. :)
And that sounds like a nice recipe mellie, thanks!

Heh, heh, jojo - 'course I'll post some photos of my trip for you to have a nosey at. ;) I've been saving up holidays for a long time for this one. I've been to London once before (years and years ago) quite briefly, en route to France. I'll keep an eye on the Community Meet forum, just in case I'm going to be near any meet-ups.