PDA

View Full Version : Perfume on hair?

Domino
September 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Do you spray perfume on your hair? Do you find it damaging?

Would it be better to mist it in the air and walk through than spray directly on the hair?

The reason I'm asking is that I have many perfumes and none of them last the whole day if I don't apply some to my hair :/

LouLaLa
September 7th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Well the alcohol might be damaging but I spray a little on my hair brush and then run it through my hair (not when the perfume is still wet though :p)

It gives a nice light smell thats not too overpowering then. I use a baby brush so its nice and gentle :)

TinaDenali
September 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Ooo, I've had this question in my mind the past few days, too. I just got some new perfume (http://www.pacificaperfume.com/woods-resins/tibetan-mountain-temple/spray-perfume) and I've been spraying it in my hair, too. I'm wondering if the alcohol in the perfume would dry out the hair? But, it's such a small amount, though, too that I wonder if it would even affect the hair? Hard to tell.

LouLaLa
September 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Ooo, I've had this question in my mind the past few days, too. I just got some new perfume (http://www.pacificaperfume.com/woods-resins/tibetan-mountain-temple/spray-perfume) and I've been spraying it in my hair, too. I'm wondering if the alcohol in the perfume would dry out the hair? But, it's such a small amount, though, too that I wonder if it would even affect the hair? Hard to tell.

This is why I let it dry on my brush first. Its probably still not great for your hair, but I find brushing it on off of a dry brush to be much less damaging than the "spray and walk through it" method.

kescue
September 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I don't use perfume, but a fragrance oil. Like Indian Fruit or Rose of Sharon. I don't know if it's the same or not ... don't think so, but I haven't noticed it to be damaging although I use very little if going somewhere which is not very often. Guess that doesn't really help lol

TinaDenali
September 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
This is why I let it dry on my brush first. Its probablu still not great for your hair, but I find brushing it on off of a dry brush much less damaging than the spray and walk through it method.

Hmm, it's a good idea, but I only use combs and I don't think it would 'stick' to the comb well enough to go through my hair.

I haven't seen any adverse affects and I've been spraying this in my hair for about two weeks now. But, we'll see. :)

christine1989
September 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I would use an essential oil rather than a perfume since perfume contains many damaging chemicals that could dry your hair.

CornishMaid
September 7th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I have changed over to using perfume oils. These are concentrated and
last a lot longer than alcohol based perfumes. You can buy Arabian attars and also approximation mixes of popular perfumes, as in Chanel coco "type" or similar. eBay
have a few on the uk site. Just search perfume oils.

I have saved pounds and been able to afford to try different ones.I use them on skin only and they last hours.

Celebrian
September 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I spray it straight into the hair in the nape of my neck - so not really in the lengths. Some of it does move down the hair a bit, and because I spray close to the scalp, the perfume blossoms well.

Some perfumes vanish though, and others remain for ages! I haven't yet worked out which type of perfume lasts longest in my hair! I thought I'd hit the jackpot with Hypotic Poison (Dior) but no, it seemed to stop working after a while. Maybe something lighter (was wondering about Bodyshop White Musk?)

I've tried loads of different EO's - but none of them really remain after an hour or so...

julia941
September 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm a rabid perfumista and I always wear perfume (sometimes lavishly and more than one, but I save that for the privacy of my own home). I love to get a whiff of my SOTD when I turn my head, but it is too drying to spray 'fumes directly on hair. Try spraying the back of your neck and then let your hair down after it dries (the alcohol evaporates). Your hair will still pick up the scent and you will get a nice burst of your favourite perfume every once in a while. This also prevents it from being too strong for other people - it is a lot easier to get perfume off skin than hair - and you are unlikely to provoke a scent ban. You can also try spraying hair toys and decorations like silk flowers or headbands.

In2wishin
September 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Would it be better to mist it in the air and walk through than spray directly on the hair?

This is what I do since I prefer to use EDP instead of EDC and I am a bit paranoid about overdoing it.

JenniferNoel
September 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I just spray some on my collar and neck, lasts forever. I don't like the idea of perfume in my hair, but I always have my hair up by the time I do any spraying anyways.

GlassEyes
September 7th, 2010, 06:48 PM
If you have BPAL, you can use that on your hair no problem.

Animae
September 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM

I do this as well. I find that it helps the scent last longer, and really helps with the fast fading scents, that may not last that long on my skin.

Phexlyn
September 8th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I would use an essential oil rather than a perfume since perfume contains many damaging chemicals that could dry your hair.
This. I have put EOs in small amounts into my mister bottle with no ill effects on the hair, no drying out or anything.

*snip* This also prevents it from being too strong for other people - it is a lot easier to get perfume off skin than hair - and you are unlikely to provoke a scent ban. *snip*
This goes for EOs as well, depending on how strong they are. If you're not careful your hair will smell of the mix for days even though you only applied it once, in my experience. I have to add I had my hair bunned or braided always, it might be different if you wear your hair loose.

Pierre
September 8th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I wear two perfumes fairly often. One is a blend of EOs in jojoba and the other is henna attar. I wear both in my hair. The EO blend I usually spray on my hand and spread on my hair, but if I have an itch I may spray it directly on the itch. I don't notice the smell myself after many hours, but I know others can.

Celebrian
September 8th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I wear two perfumes fairly often. One is a blend of EOs in jojoba and the other is henna attar. I wear both in my hair. The EO blend I usually spray on my hand and spread on my hair, but if I have an itch I may spray it directly on the itch. I don't notice the smell myself after many hours, but I know others can.

Pierre, please can you try to describe the scent of Henna Attar? I ask because I am thinking about buying some, but don't really know what I'm letting myself in for!

wvgemini
September 8th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Yup. I always run my fingers (with the traces of oil) through my hair after slathering myself.

Back_To_Basics
September 8th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I found this link here I was also wondering what it smelled like.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=287132

Ylvalie
September 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I've got a solid perfume whose main ingredient is shea butter. It doesn't contain alcohol or other damaging products.
Actually, this perfume is part of my hair care routine :)

julia941
September 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM
In perfumery an attar is basically a fragrance that has not been diluted with alcohol. They usually come in oil form and are extremely concentrated. Perfumes are classified as extrait de parfum, eau de parfum, eau de toilette, cologne, etc. based on how much the fragrance oils have been diluted with alcohol. Attars generally don't smell so good if you just open the bottle and take a whiff - the alcohol is needed to "open it up" and make it something pleasant to our olfactory receptors. Attars of perfume are most popular in middle east and Arab perfumery. The tiniest drop on your skin will bloom over a number of hours as all of the notes unfold naturally. Some of the best attars, IMO, are from Oman by the house of Amouage. They are super expensive ($400/12ml and up) but they are totally worth it. I have other single note attars that are not as strong or as expensive. I'm not familiar with henna attars, but since they are almost always in oil form I would assume they are much safer on hair than other concentrations of perfume. Maybe I'll try one in my hair after I wash later.

Arianwen
September 8th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I don't think I've ever put perfume in my hair, I CO with yummy smelling suave Cons (my hair currently smells like green apple.) I do have a variety of perfumes / scented powders/scented lotions for my body, though. My favourite is Champs d'Elysees.

julia941
September 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
BPAL is great. Beth and Ted Barrial are very nice people and have taken the time to personally answer questions I've had about their products. She is the nose and he runs the Trading Post. They use natural oils and fixatives to the greatest extent possible and many of their oils get better with time if they are stored in a cool dark place. Light is the greatest enemy of any perfume. I recommend them without reservation and suggest buying a pack of "imps" before jumping in. If not, make sure you get a bottle of Snake Oil. You won't regret it. I don't know how swaps and samples work here and if it is inappropriate to offer please let me know or delete this post. I don't want to break any LHC rules. I'm very active in perfume groups that specialize in splits and swaps and I'm always happy to stick a couple of samples in the mail. I am not associated with BPAL in any way - just a happy customer! :) Also, they donate the proceeds from several different lines to programs that help local comic book stores defend against obscenity lawsuits (yes, it still happens) and also help independent comic artists get health insurance. The Neil Gaiman line is highly recommended.

KittyLost
September 9th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I spray it in the air and then walk through the mist, I don't think it's too damaging but I shampoo and condition so that probably gets rid of it and sorts out any dryness the alcohol may have caused.

I haven't noticed any damage from doing it.

Pierre
September 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Pierre, please can you try to describe the scent of Henna Attar? I ask because I am thinking about buying some, but don't really know what I'm letting myself in for!
Sorry, I don't know how to describe scents.

PeonyGarden
September 9th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I like to scent my hair! I use a blend of EO. I use coconut oil every morning on my wet hair - just a bit, to moisturize. I decided to melt down my coconut oil by warming it on the stove, and then I diluted some EO drops (rosewood and sweet orange) into the oil. Now my hair smells lovely while it's being mosturized :). The scent lasts a while too!

Edit: I suppose you could do the same thing with fragrance oils?

Islandgrrl
September 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I don't use traditional perfume, but I do use some essential oil blends and apply a drop or two to my hair when it's damp. Nice.

vintersaga
September 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I've got a solid perfume whose main ingredient is shea butter. It doesn't contain alcohol or other damaging products.

Which perfume is it? It sounds very interesting:)

Buddaphlyy
September 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I don't think I've ever put perfume in my hair, I CO with yummy smelling suave Cons (my hair currently smells like green apple.) I do have a variety of perfumes / scented powders/scented lotions for my body, though. My favourite is Champs d'Elysees.

This is me also. Perfume is for the body. This is why the scent of my products is important to me.

Ylvalie
September 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
@vintersaga:
http://www.heymountain.com/solid-perfume.20.0.html (I hope it's ok to post this link?)
For the english version of this website, click on 'english' at the upper right corner!
It's a German brand, I don't know of other shops that sell this kind of solid perfume.
I've got Lulu's back in town and Mad About You. I love the smell of the first one, it smells like real flowers :flowers:

ETA: Heymountain even recommends applying some of it on the hair tips.

vintersaga
September 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Thank you so much Ylvalie, though I don't know deutch/german language, but I could read the ingredients list. :) Thankyou for the link:flower:

RachelRain
September 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I spray mine over my hair :) Not on purpose, but I spray once over my head behind me and pointed slightly down and then once about... hip level? from behind, and whether or not the first blast hits my hair, the second one does. I've been doing it for years, and haven't noticed any damage, but I also don't wear cologne every day, so long term like that I dunno.

Ylvalie
September 10th, 2010, 05:48 AM
@vintersaga:
They do have an english version of their website. I thought I linked you the english version, but I guess that's not possible.
Upper right corner, click on 'english' :)
http://www.heymountain.com/solid-perfume.20.0.html

dfotw
September 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Some perfumes vanish though, and others remain for ages! I haven't yet worked out which type of perfume lasts longest in my hair! I thought I'd hit the jackpot with Hypotic Poison (Dior) but no, it seemed to stop working after a while. Maybe something lighter (was wondering about Bodyshop White Musk?)

I've tried loads of different EO's - but none of them really remain after an hour or so...

If you want to try White Musk, buy the perfume oil. I've been using it for years, and it lasts all day (and more!) and you can use it on your hair safely (little/no alcohol)... I love it!

I also bought one of these lately... Lush's The Comforter (http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/fragrance/solid-perfumes/the-comforter-solid-perfume), a little tin (like shea butter) that I use on the tips of my hair and to smooth it out. It has Japan Wax, cocoa butter, carnauba wax and various oils, plus the perfume... really nice and practical to carry around!

Ylvalie
September 10th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I also bought one of these lately... Lush's The Comforter (http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/fragrance/solid-perfumes/the-comforter-solid-perfume), a little tin (like shea butter) that I use on the tips of my hair and to smooth it out. It has Japan Wax, cocoa butter, carnauba wax and various oils, plus the perfume... really nice and practical to carry around!

Thank you so much for the information! Maybe I'll buy some from Lush. Although I don't know how to choose the right perfume in a Lush store. The store itself is a giant cloud of perfume :p

Igor
September 10th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Do you spray perfume on your hair? Do you find it damaging?

The reason I'm asking is that I have many perfumes and none of them last the whole day if I don't apply some to my hair :/

Doesn’t perfume need the body heat to “activate” and flow into the air? :confused:
Unless you spray it directly on your scalp I think it would be a very ineffective way of using perfume

dfotw
September 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Thank you so much for the information! Maybe I'll buy some from Lush. Although I don't know how to choose the right perfume in a Lush store. The store itself is a giant cloud of perfume :p

You're welcome! And yeah, trying to sniff the little tins of perfumes while blocking out the GIANT WALL OF SCENTS that is a Lush store is an adventure in itself... I think I didn't linger in the place any longer because all the smells were giving me a headache! :p

RachelRain
September 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Doesn’t perfume need the body heat to “activate” and flow into the air? :confused:
Unless you spray it directly on your scalp I think it would be a very ineffective way of using perfume

I wouldn't think so - I've sprayed my boyfriend's cologne into his drawers so his clothes smell good. I just went to pull out his hoodies for work last night to make sure they weren't moth eaten and they still smell like his stuff, and he hasn't worn them for almost a year.

Unless only men's cologne's work like that. In that case I wouldn't know.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
They sell perfume made just for hair, I would try that instead! :D

Gilly
February 24th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I used to spray the air and walk through the mist, my boyfriend at the time said he loved to be able to bury his head in my hair and smell it without being overwhelmed by the full strength perfume, he said it just gave a beautiful hint of the perfume.
My Hubby has no sense of smell so I could rub raw garlic on my hair and he would not notice!!:rolleyes:

cocoahair
February 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I buy hair specific perfume or use essential oils mixed with jojoba oil.

annamoonfairy
February 24th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I spray the perfume into the air and then walk into the mist.