PDA

View Full Version : Layers

Mexibeach
September 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Now that I'm finally getting some length back to my hair, as little as it is, I am looking for opinions. I was planning on just growing my hair over the next 2 yrs. Now I am wondering, would it be better/easier to go have the layers eliminated as it grows....? Is it better/easier to grow at one length?! :confused:

redneckprincess
September 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
i have been growing for a year, trimming a few times, grow for a year, trim a bit...I still gain length but my ends are thick and layers are ALMOST gone, only another couple rounds to go...I am on a no trim year after just trimming off a total of 3" over the summer...hoping to be past BSL before its time to trim again

that way your not losing to much length at once

restourceful
September 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I'm sort of doing the same thing as RNP except I plan to keep some of my layers. When I asked the question about bunning with layers vs. bunning with a blunt hemline, it seems more people find it easier to tuck in the ends at shorter lengths when you have layers. The blunts weighed in that they needed much longer lengths to accomplish the same bun. I have about a 12" difference in my shortest and longest lengths. My plan is to work toward no more than a 6" difference and keep it there as I grow longer. I don't know exactly when I'm going to trim again, since I trimmed about half an inch in June, so it may be years before this goal is realized. :shrug:

tinti
September 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I'm gonna do the same as RNP :) I'm gonna wait until May 2011 before I trim since I trimmed in May this year, and then trim more of the lenght than the layers :) Hopefully my hair will be a bit past waist lenght by then so that I can cut to waist and just dust the layers, but I have no idea how far I am from waist atm.

Capybara
September 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
It depends whether or not you want to have layers when you reach your goal :) If your aim is a blunt cut, it may be best to gradually cut the hemline until the layers have caught up. What RNP said makes sense :)

Alix
September 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My aim isn't blunt cut, my hair looks good with layers in it and I plan on keeping it that way. However, my plan is to get to goal, which is waist, before recutting my layers. I may recut at BSL though if they get to messy looking. I know I'll lose length though which is why I want to wait for waist.

Misso
September 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
My problem is that my layers need trimming as well. Which always leads to me going to the hairdresser for a haircut. Which after 4 years of growing my layers, choosing haircuts carefully to achieve a soft u shape ends, only to end up with heavily layered hair again due to a bad haircut.
With one length hair or a u shape you can easily avoid mishaps.

Juneii
September 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
My aim isn't blunt cut, my hair looks good with layers in it and I plan on keeping it that way. However, my plan is to get to goal, which is waist, before recutting my layers. I may recut at BSL though if they get to messy looking. I know I'll lose length though which is why I want to wait for waist.

depending on where you want your layers to start I think it is best if you wait until you reach waist and then trim the length you want your layers to be.

Mexibeach
September 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM

I think I will do this as well - wait til I get to BSL at MINIMUM.... but if I can go to waist, then decide whether to ditch the layers. Hopefully this cut will grow out well.......
OH I miss my long hair in this cool weather. This winter is going to be rough!!!!