PDA

View Full Version : Have you inspired your significant other?

Qamar
May 22nd, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm curious as to whether your long hair has inspired your other half to grow out his or her hair. My sweetie has never had hair that even touched his ears, let alone grow longer than that, but he decided about two and a half months ago to let it grow, hair and beard. He has just gorgeous ringlet curls and his hair is already so long that it it completely covers his ears when its wet (it curls up to mid-ear when dry). He's adjusting to the care required for longer hair, and I introduced him to the wonderful world of conditioner. He's now talking about catching up with me and even surpassing me, which I suppose is possible given how fast his hair grows, but will still take years since my hair is still growing and is right now about an inch a half below bra band. I'm thrilled at his decision because I adore long hair on men and I love playing with his curls--I get to teach him how to actually care for it since he has just run a bar of soap over it and finger combed it until now.

Have any of you also inspired your beloved to grow his or her hair out? How long did they let it grow to?

flapjack
May 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
My SO had long hair as a kid and I think he hated it on himself, so I'm sure he won't do it again. He likes it on me, but it's not his thing and that's fine with me. I've never bothered him about it beyond asking him one time why he disliked it on himself when he was younger and then I dropped it. It is his head, after all, haha.

I did inspire him to go back to college though. I'll take that over the hair, to be honest, haha.

Tapioca
May 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
My DH works in a law office, so he prefers his hair short. I have inspired my five-year-old daughter, though, who let me do a henna gloss on her and does CO washes. (Sleep braids too, when we remember before she falls asleep.)

Riot Crrl
May 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
He's not growing it out really, but he has shoulder length which he is keeping. However I did inspire him to do CO :)

jojo
May 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
my hubby had bsl hair when i first met him, but then he cut short but now hes started growing again, which im over the moon with!

Islandgrrl
May 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I did inspire (or at least vigorously support) my DH's decision to grow his hair long. He grew to just shy of APL a few years ago. He shaved it all off, though, after a devastating boating accident in which he nearly lost a finger. It was just much easier for him to deal with. He's never expressed an interest in growing it long again. Okay by me - he looks much nicer with it short.

Shermie Girl
May 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Wile my husband will never grow his hair long, he does CO wash a good part of the time and takes better care of the hair he does have. :D

Dianyla
May 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Nope. One was already at terminal length when I met him, and the other is a die-hard clipper-cut-every-three-weeks type of shorthair. Whatever makes them happy! :)

Paniscus
May 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Yep, DH is growing his hair long. It measures around 17inches now. Some layering currently, but eventually, he wants all one length. For now, he's thinking a little past his shoulders, but we'll see. He may decide to cut, who knows? My DD11 is between BSL and waist.

mommy101405
May 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well my dh is all but bald on top and he thinks he looks nicest with a short buzz. But he is very supportive of me and my efforts to grow mine out.

nomadhome
May 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I think he might grow it a bit if he could, but he's balding quite noticeably, so he shaves it. He jokes, though-- saying that I wish he could grow it out so I could braid it and we could talk about hair care together.

sapphire-o
May 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yep he's growing it out. It's 24" long already and nice and virgin. We share many hair care products. :) He started before I found LHC, though. I've got a mini-album for his hair in my profile. :D

ZephyrStorms
May 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
lol, you'd be scraping me off the floor if my dh decided to grow his hair long......though it might look good....:pumpkin:

trolleypup
May 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Nope. My girlfriend was already at extreme lengths when we met.

Anje
May 22nd, 2008, 10:55 PM
I think I have... DH already had long hair at one point in high school, but he was always fighting his curls, so he had it short when we met and for the next few years. Well, he saw both me growing mine out, and my brothers letting theirs grow (both have thick, curly hair) and got jealous. He's been growing for nearly a year now, and stretched, the front parts go to the end of his nose. They curl to above his eyebrows, though, so he's got a while to go.

Gothic Lolita
May 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, we're both growing. My boyfriend's hair is a bit past shoulder length. While my hair grows faster than average it took him nearly 3 years to get there.... But it looks so good! But I didn't inspire him to grow, he decided on his own, maybe because he likes long hair on girls so much.

Eden Iris
May 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
My husband had long hair when we met and resists my efforts to get him to care for it better. He brushes it when wet (I cringe when I hear the hairs snapping), and his idea of maintenance is to have me trim off six inches once a year.

saracuda
May 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
definitely no. DH wears a flat-top. He doesn't put any time in on his hair at all except washing it with Head 'n Shoulders. I don't want him to grow out, either. It wouldn't look good on him.

Red_Wednesday
May 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
My DH prefers his hair very clean cut, so no long hair for him. But he has tried more natural hair products since I began talking to him about my goals and hair care routine. In particular, he likes to use tea tree for his dry scalp, and he's trying to avoid using shampoo because of the SLS. He won't stop using shampoo completely though, but he does use distilled water to rinse his hair in between washings rather than using shampoo every single day:).

young&reckless
May 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
My boyfriend isn;t really groing it long but he is letting it get as long a possible before he cuts it all off. I have always been a fan on men with short hair but not the my mans curls are realy comeing out I keep hopeing he will let it grow long. It looks so cool.

I am a reformed women and I am sorry to all the long haired men on this site that I was such a prude.

Medvssa
May 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
He inspires me :D

Haith
May 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
No, my boy likes to keep his hair short, but I've inspired my little 9-year old nephew to grow his hair to his waist!

Qamar
May 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Another silly question here, but what is APL, Classic and all the other terms I see here in reference to hair length? We need a FAQ with a key to the terminology here for newbies! :)

Gylfi
May 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
every SO I've had has grown her hair out, whether or not it was my influence has yet to be determined...

In addition, my mom also started growing her hair to terminal length a little while ago, and my cousin has also hopped on the bandwagon.

happylynngilmer
May 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
DH was already growing his hair when we met in high school. I almost always had long hair, but I did cut it in sophomore year, which was shortly before I met him. So I guess you could say we started growing the same time. I would cut my hair back to BSL when it hit waist before I found LHC, just because at waist I never knew what to do with it! Many times in the last 7 years DH has had longer hair than me due to that. Now *I* have longer hair because he cut all his hair the same length (bottom of arm-pit length), and I'm still at waist! *rubs hands together* I win! :P

We have definitely inspired each other over the years. Especially since I found LHC and we try different things. He's not a member yet though...I'll win that too eventually!

Saoirse
May 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Unintentionally -- I think -- all my SOs have had long hair :rolleyes: Two already did before going out with me, another grew his out during.

Guess who went for the post-break up haircut. :wink: