PDA

View Full Version : urge to cut

mariika
September 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Oh bloody god, I wanna cut my hair!! Help!

CrisDee
September 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Why?

It is very helpful to me, when I get that urge, to ask myself that question, and then to really get down to the nitty gritty of why I want to cut. Usually it has nothing to do with my hair. Usually, there is another, outside situation going on in my life over which I feel I have no control, so I want to take out all the anger, frustration and powerless feelings on my hair. Is that the case with you?

Some people also find that they need to make a change to their surroundings - paint or redecorate a room, or buy a new seasonal outfit.

Hugs to you, be good to yourself, and step away from the :scissors:!

Capybara
September 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Why?

It is very helpful to me, when I get that urge, to ask myself that question, and then to really get down to the nitty gritty of why I want to cut. Usually it has nothing to do with my hair. Usually, there is another, outside situation going on in my life over which I feel I have no control, so I want to take out all the anger, frustration and powerless feelings on my hair. Is that the case with you?

Some people also find that they need to make a change to their surroundings - paint or redecorate a room, or buy a new seasonal outfit.

Hugs to you, be good to yourself, and step away from the :scissors:!

This, exactly! If you want to cut because your ends aren't quite to your liking, and you'd enjoy the feeling of freshly trimmed ends, then go for it (after enforcing the 2 week rule, of course!) However, if you want to cut because of a different reason - the desire for change, the end of a relationship, etc. - it'd probably be better to wait it out.

I always find that buying a new hair toy is good motivation to keep growing :lol:

mariika
September 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
after enforcing the 2 week rule
now that's a good advice! two week rule rules!

I want to cut it because today I saw a girl with completely different hair type (but same colour as me so that's a progress) with her gorgeous hair barely touching shoulders

Unofficial_Rose
September 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I suffer from this one too. In fact, I trim way more than is necessary, so I understand the urge :eek:

Maybe a schedule when you are allowed to trim would work for you? That way it won't necessarily co-incide with any emotions you may be experiencing even if said emotion is just perfectionism with regard to the hair?

I'm trying to trim only according to the Moon Phases. Yes, sounds literally 'loony' but I'm not allowed to trim until growth trimming day, i.e. 24th November. Here's the link: https://morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-chart

(I still cut a bit off my fringe today, as it looked straggly. Managed to leave the rest alone, but only just).

alwayssmiling
September 7th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hehee! Was just reading a thread on a different forum about women who feel the urge to cut their hair at totm??

I usually treat myself to something nice for my hair when I get the urge. New products or a headband, or clips. And remember that if you cut it to shoulder length and regret it you have to go through a bit of an awkward stage where styles can be a bit limited.

whiteisle
September 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
ummm.............don't.

That is, of course, unless you have thought really long and hard about it and you are absolutely sure beyond any shadow of a doubt that cutting is what you want to do.

Just coming from experience here......I cut and I thought I was really sure about it. I had thought for a few months on and off about doing it. Thought it was what I wanted because I'm as big a fan of short hair as I am long. And for the first couple of months life was fine in the hair world. Then I started getting that sinking feeling of regret and here I am, once again, growing my hair out. :doh:

Not to say cutting wouldn't be the right choice for you. But please, do take the time to investigate WHY (like CrisDee said)you want to and figure out if that's really, really, reallllllllllllllly what you want.

I really, really, reallllllllllllly wish I hadn't.

mariika
September 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Maybe a schedule when you are allowed to trim would work for you?
it's a good idea, you know. I need to elaborate a schedule. and thanks for the lunar thing, I know it's bullsh_t but it might actually work. best days for beneficial haircutting in 2010 are September 21-23 and then December 21-23. so if I get through Sept 21-23 safely I have to wait till December and I might not cut altogether then!

I got this urge to cut also because earlier I decided I'm gonna embrace my curls - so I washed my hair and did not touch it for four days which resulted in beautiful curls. this also resulted in TERRIBLE tangles on the back of my head! I sleep on satin so I hoped my hair won't tangle as usual but it does!! this means I cannot actually wear curls because I'll have to braid hair for the night. I hate my hair?