PDA

View Full Version : My first ACV rince and what happened

beez1717
September 7th, 2010, 12:53 AM
So on Friday, I did my first ACV rinse and it seems to have done wonders already. My hair is not as greasy and it also seems to feel softer then usual after several days of non wash. I am going to have to do more rinses but so far I think I like this new method of hair treatment. Thanks LHC :)
I'll let you all know how things turn out as I do more rinses.

JCFantasy23
September 7th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Glad it turned out well for you. I haven't done an ACV rinse for quite awhile, but remember it makes it very soft on me, if not slightly less body. It affects us all different ways.

Harriet
September 7th, 2010, 02:02 AM
ACV rinses are one of the best things i've learnt here. I never thought my hair could be this soft.

meerikal
September 7th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I haven't had much success finding the right ratio of ACV to water, what measurements did you use that worked so well?

RadiantNeedle
September 7th, 2010, 02:58 AM
ACV rinses are saving my hair! My scalp has calmed down so much since starting them!

julliams
September 7th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I would like to know how to do this too. Can anyone share their method?

CrisDee
September 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
My daughter has had horrible scalp issues since she was a teenager (she's now 35), and ACV rinses have been a miracle cure for her. A couple tablespoons of ACV in a couple cups of water - :magic:

DifferentLex
September 7th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Glad it turned out well for you, my hair loves ACV rinses - i have seborrheic dermatitis that acts out in the fall and winter and ACV really does the trick

Pixna
September 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I am using only VERY diluted Bronner's (for babies) followed by an ACV rinse and VERY light oiling. I have found that I do not need conditioner and the ACV rinse detangles and makes my hair very soft. I use about 2 tablespoons in about 1 1/2 cups or so of water. I use the rinse after I have rinsed the Bronner's out of my hair (thoroughly). I pour the rinse over my head, focusing more on the ears down, with just a little on my scalp (too much on the top of my hair makes my hair a little flat). I leave it on while I finish my shower duties, and then rinse it out. I have found that my wet hair is little more fragile (before I comb it out) than with conditioner coating it, but I'm just very gentle with it. I wrap it in a Turbie Twist for about 10 minutes, then I gently comb it out with a wide-tooth comb (and then I do the light oiling). Simple, easy, inexpensive, and very effective.

Cupofmilk
September 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I have a little jug with a pint of water and use about 2-3 tablespoons of ACV. I would love to know where people buy ACV from the the stuff for humans to consume is very very expensive. I bought mine from the livestock store as I have chickens... I think if it is safe for them to eat then it can go on my hair. I live in the UK. A one litre bottle costs about £4-5.

Deborah
September 7th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I do two different acidic rinses, depending on my mood and what I have on hand.

For a vinegar rinse, I dump about 1/4 cup into a quart bottle, fill the rest up with cold water, shake, and pour over my hair. Mostly I use distilled vinegar because it is cheaper than apple cider vinegar and has less smell, and both work equally well. I don't rinse it out with water, as part of the reason I am using it is to counter my extremely hard water. If I rinse again in shower water, I lose the soft water advantage.

My current favorite is to put about 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid powder in the quart bottle, fill up the rest with cold water, shake well, and use the same as above. The advantage is that this rinse has no smell whatsoever. It works just the same as either of the vinegar rinses.

beez1717
September 7th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I use 5 quarts of water to one tablespoon of white vinegar oil and I don't rinse the ACV rinse out because I have hard water and ACV is the solution to the hard water in my area. I'm glad to hear you all are doing so well with your ACV rinses.

TinaDenali
September 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I have a spray bottle I use for ACV rinses, but I don't do it every time I wash - I only do it about two or three times a month.

julliams
September 8th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Just checking - ACV stands for Apple Cider Vinegar right? Just wanted to check before I go out and buy the wrong thing!!! I'm also assuming that it is the regular Apple Cider Vinegar used in cooking?

I'm keen to try this as I once bought some homemade shampoo and conditioner from a lady at a market. The conditioner was actually a rinse and it worked really well in my hair so I'm assuming it was just Apple Cider Vinegar with some herbs infused in it or something like that. I loved it and I felt very medieval and "ye olde" using it.

Some seem to rinse out and others leave in. I guess I'll try both and see how I go.

julliams
September 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Bumping for an answer if possible

RitaPG
September 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Just checking - ACV stands for Apple Cider Vinegar right? Just wanted to check before I go out and buy the wrong thing!!! I'm also assuming that it is the regular Apple Cider Vinegar used in cooking?

I'm keen to try this as I once bought some homemade shampoo and conditioner from a lady at a market. The conditioner was actually a rinse and it worked really well in my hair so I'm assuming it was just Apple Cider Vinegar with some herbs infused in it or something like that. I loved it and I felt very medieval and "ye olde" using it.

Some seem to rinse out and others leave in. I guess I'll try both and see how I go.

Yes, ACV stands for Aple Cider Vinegar :)

julliams
September 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM

AstrayStar
September 9th, 2010, 07:30 AM
My scalp cannot live without acv! I tried once, in an effort to save money to use a really diluted acv rinse, and my scalp got really flaky and itchy. So, I am now back to using 2-3 tbsp of acv per cup of water. 2 for normal rinses and 3 when my scalp is acting up. I also made up a mister bottle that is acv, distilled water, a couple drops rosemary, clary sage, and tea tree oil. Anyway, when my scalp is acting up, I will spray that on my scalp and leave overnight and rise out the next day.

Harriet
September 9th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I don't rinse mine out as I feel that using normal water after the rinse might counter act any benefit of the ACV. I use about 2tbsp acv to 500ml water.

cubedcoley
September 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I have done ACV rinses about 3 times in the last 3 weeks. I found a recipe in the threads somewhere, but cannot reference it now. However it was 1 part ACV to 4 parts water along with 1 cinnamon stick and 1 tsp of vanilla extract, which cuts the smell. I also added rosemary, which cuts the smell of the ACV, but leaves little sticks to comb out if the do not get rinsed down the drain, also, the smell goes away with dry hair if there is any remnants of it when done rinsing. :magic:

RadiantNeedle
September 10th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I'm leaving it on my scalp now and rinsing the length with cold water. Haven't had much of an issue with the smell at all.

Ravenne
September 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I kinda want to try ACV rinse again. Maybe I did it wrong last time or just used the wrong ratio for my hair or something. I still have the bottle. Lol. Hm... *wanders away to plot and research..*

julliams
September 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM
I bought some ACV and tried this out last night. I firstly used straight ACV which I left on for about 30 min on my scalp to help with my currently flakey scalp. I had read that this would help. I then used a clarifying shampoo as my hair was feeling like it needed it. I followed with a rinse of 1 litre of water to 1/3 cup of ACV. It was a cold rinse so it was a bit of a shock - lol.

I let it dry and I found that my hair feels very clean and not like it hasn't been conditioned. It does look a little fluffy and I wouldn't do this super often. Alot of people mentioned how soft their hair feels - I don't find that mine is any different.

Also many people say that the smell disappears when it dries - well, I can still smell it a day later. It doesn't smell bad and I don't think it is noticeable to others but I can tell that I've washed my hair with vinegar.

I do think it's good to do once in a while for a full clarify.

pepperminttea
September 21st, 2010, 02:54 AM
Alot of people mentioned how soft their hair feels - I don't find that mine is any different.

Also many people say that the smell disappears when it dries - well, I can still smell it a day later. It doesn't smell bad and I don't think it is noticeable to others but I can tell that I've washed my hair with vinegar.

Do you have hard water? I use an ACV rinse to stop the hard water building up on my hair, and it definitely feels softer with it. If you've already got soft water I'd imagine it's not much of a difference. :shrug:

And with the smell; that's probably the result of the scalp application rather than the rinse, I'd guess. The smell's always disappeared for me after a rinse.

I have a little jug with a pint of water and use about 2-3 tablespoons of ACV. I would love to know where people buy ACV from the the stuff for humans to consume is very very expensive. I bought mine from the livestock store as I have chickens... I think if it is safe for them to eat then it can go on my hair. I live in the UK. A one litre bottle costs about £4-5.

Sainsbury's has a litre bottle for £1-something. :)

julliams
September 21st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Thanks for your response - it's in the length - if I put my ends up to my nose I can smell it but as I said, it's not an issue for me - just something I noticed. Maybe I used too much? As for hard or soft water I honestly have no idea as I've lived in this area all my life. I have travelled all around the world but haven't really noticed how water feels more how it smells (chlorinated etc).

I don't mind it , just not really raving.