PDA

View Full Version : Thin hair and volume? Help!

frillychantilly
September 6th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I can't believe I am really going to say this... but I am jealous of my wavy-haired friends.
All my life I have been happy with my thin, straight hair, but now as I look at my closest friend (who has gorgeous, blond, goldilocks-worthy hair) I wish my hair was as voluminous as hers.

Being a fan of the natural way of life, a product at Lush caught my eye. The shampoo is called 'Big', and claims to make your hair... well... Big!
This shampoo is made out of 50% sea salt.
I was wondering... is this damaging for the hair?
Are there other ways to get your hair voluminous?

missfortune9335
September 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I haven't tried that product, but I do feel your pain. I have thin, fine hair and oh how I wish it were thick and full of volume. If I have the time while my hair is damp I roll it in jumbo sized foam rollers and let it dry, that adds a decent amount of volume for me.

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
No idea, but I would love more volume to my hair, so I will be watching this thread.

littlenvy
September 6th, 2010, 07:32 PM
No idea either. I never heard of this.

BUT .. being a very thin hair person myself I have learned that "dry" hair on me gives be a bit more volume than nice, shinny and moist hair. And I'm sure 50% sea salt will make your hair much dryer.

I would like very much to know thou what kind of long term damage/benefit it can give you. If you do try it, please let us know. :)

frillychantilly
September 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I would think the sea salt would give you beach hair, hehe.
& from the reviews I watched people seemed to like it!

littlenvy
September 6th, 2010, 08:00 PM
hehe .. I looked it up on youtube and there are quite a few reviews.
This one LOVED it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoXKwqF0ZSs

But to be honest I don't see the "volume" on her. It looks pretty normal to me.

This one likes it but later admits that there is not much difference in volume between this shampoo (which is rather expensive) and store brand ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w29rmVm-1bE&NR=1

Buggheart
September 6th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I've used Big shampoo but it didn't give me any extra volume. Not really. It's a nice shampoo which made my hair shiny and soft, but it's way over priced. It does smell good and does a nice job, but really, no extra volume. I reviewed it here: http://www.viewpoints.com/LUSH-Big-Shampoo-review-5635

I have the same hair as you and am totally jealous of my wavy haired friends so I can totally relate. I wish I could find something that would give me big poofy hair. Besides getting a perm, I mean.

Phexlyn
September 7th, 2010, 03:19 AM
It's not going to give you really BIG hair, but I like putting in a French braid at night for more volume at the roots the next day. If your hair is damp, you can get some lovely braid waves as well. :)

I don't know about the Lush shampoo specifically, but the sea salt will dry your hair out. Don't use it too often.

emsahib
September 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I haven't tried that product, but I do feel your pain. I have thin, fine hair and oh how I wish it were thick and full of volume. If I have the time while my hair is damp I roll it in jumbo sized foam rollers and let it dry, that adds a decent amount of volume for me.

Can rollers be damaging? Like the ones with grip? I'm guessing foam ones would be better as you can't catch your hair on anything

Konstifik
September 7th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I've tried Big, it's one of my favorite shampoos. It doesn't make my hair like a volumenous balloon, but I find my hair not laying as flat to the scalp anymore. Barely visible, but I can at least feel the difference. :) Plus it makes the hair really smooth and shiny.

marisa
September 7th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I suppose you could just mix sea salt in with your regular shampoo for the same effect.

Or else make a homemade sea salt volumizing spray.
I saw lots of tutorials on that, most suggested adding essential oils as the salt can be very drying.

luxepiggy
September 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I actually find I get a lot of volume on my dry-shampoo days. Not sure why, but it happens every time (^(oo)^)v

I use the Rene Furterer product

CourtneyBee
September 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I've had lots of luck with Avalon Organics Volumizing Rosemary system. Also, before I went a little more natural the Clean Volume system from Neutrogena was my holy grail.

How do you wear your hair to sleep? If I wear a loose bun on the top of my head all night its usually pretty full in the morning. Also, finger combing has helped bring out the waves- who knew!

Tabihito
September 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Wavy hair may not actually be particularly thick (mine definitely isn't!), but can give a pretty convincing illusion of being quite thick. Have you tried rag curls or something along those lines? I know my hair looks quite pathetic when it's relatively straight from my bun, but is much more voluminous when I scrunch it. I presume that people with straighter hair may not be able to get much wave with scrunching, but rag curls should work unless your hair is the sort that absolutely won't hold any curl at all.

jackiesjottings
September 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Never tried any products which claim to give more volume. But I sometimes braid mine at night. Usually with dry hair, and just two braids each side, one above the other. it doesn't go wildly wavy, just a little bit wavy but it does give the impression of more volume.

Vampire
September 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I bought the BIG just few weeks ago, it's great. Smells fantastic and leaves hair feeling nice, i havent really noticed any more volume on my hair, but my DH hair is looking gorgeous and "bigger" :p