PDA

View Full Version : Styling/coping with the awkward stage...

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hi,

I did search this but only found one real thread and it was ideas for a guy, so hoping for some more info, including female-oriented ideas for coping with the growing out stages. (We seem to have more permission than men for creativity).

My hair is chin length right now, but it will be growing out for awhile obviously, so I am interested in any and all ideas for coping with it as it grows! Did you get regular trims/styling, or did you opt for length even if it had a somewhat awkward shape? How did you deal with it daily and keep it looking okay as it grew? Are there any particular hair toys that help or are good for medium length hair?

Any and all experiences and ideas appreciated. I've had short hair for a long time so I am a real hairstyling newbie.

tinti
September 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I had a style like that for ages when I was a teenager, and I used to make a half up with a claw clip to hide my hair a bit. Or I made a tiny little peacock twist when my hair was long enough for that.
ETA: Oh, and I just grew it out untill it was at collar bone lenght, then I cut a bit so that it would look like a normal bob.

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks! It sounds a good plan to grow it out a bit. So discouraging to lose any length when you have as little as I do right now.

What is a peacock twist? I know nothing about hairstyling! My daughter has long hair but she refuses to have anything at all done with it, ever. So I know henna and brushing and that is IT.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2010, 03:57 PM
When I grew out from a pixie or another time from a cap cut, I used to put the sides up with barrettes, claw clips or combs.

I think that by the time my shortest hair (the hair above the ears) hit chin length, I had it trimmed into a basic bob. Of course after the pixie, my hair was still layered, but I just grew it out from there.

2peasinapod
September 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM
When I was growing out my pixie, I usually just wore a scarf until it looked normal (around chin length or so). I only cut once during the mullet stage. With my waves, my short layers stuck out before they grew down, and I only wanted to do that once. :p

A peacock twist is a frech twist, but with the ends not tucked in. I love doing one with a butterfly comb (EZcomb) because it's so easy and messy, but it looks elegant.

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I just looked up peacock twist - will be nice when my hair is a bit longer for sure!

And EZ comb - those look awesome! And like they would work for me now. Do you have to buy them online? Or are they in stores usually?

2peasinapod
September 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I just bought one at walmart today! :)

swivelhop
September 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I made it through the awkward year by pulling back everything I could in a ponytail, then throwing on a hat. Luckily hats indoors aren't an insult where I live.

Fractalsofhair
September 6th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I used a lot of bobby pins and headbands when I was growing out my pixie. When my shortest bits were a little bit longer than my chin, I got it cut into a bob and grew it out from there.

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I just bought one at walmart today! :)

Oh wow, so they are easy to find, great!

I made it through the awkward year by pulling back everything I could in a ponytail, then throwing on a hat. Luckily hats indoors aren't an insult where I live.

Ahh mine isn't even long enough for a ponytail at this point, oy! Hats are good. As are scarves.

I used a lot of bobby pins and headbands when I was growing out my pixie. When my shortest bits were a little bit longer than my chin, I got it cut into a bob and grew it out from there.

I just got some bobby pins, mostly to deal with my bangs. LOVE headbands, especially for hot days. I am so used to short hair that feeling it on my neck in hot weather drives me nuts.