PDA

View Full Version : Help! sulphate free but greasy?

practikalmagik
September 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've been sulphate free for almost a year now but since I ran out of the lovely rose shampoo I bulk-bought from Aldi last year I've had to find something new. Had a good look round Boots and found the dead sea natural minerals shampoo (http://www.boots.com/en/Dead-Sea-Natural-Mineral-Shampoo_7621/), which seemed pretty good and smelt rather pleasant. My boyfriend and I have both used it but got really different results.

My hair feels all...gunky, like it's not been washed at all. However it's only sections of the hair. The understand looks unwashed and the canopy is lovely until you get to the back of my head then it too feels nasty. It's hard to explain, it's like my hair is damp but not at the same time.

The first time I used it I assumed I had used too much and not washed it thoroughly, especially because my hair is soooo thick. This morning I made sure to section my hair into quarters, work the shampoo in and rinsed it for ages. I must have been rinsing for at least ten minutes. I finished up my shower as normal but again it's all nasty. I've even gone without my usual oil at the end cos of how sticky it looks.

DBF however has used it and had lovely results. His hair is similar to mine, a bit longer but a little less thick. This is his first sulphate free shampoo and he stretches his washes more then me (1xweek rather than 2xweek for me).

Any suggestions? I don't think it's a sulphate free adjustment as I've used that other shampoo for almost a year.

I hope someone can help as I am *this* close to digging out the cheapy nasty sls shampoo that DBF usually uses and stripping my hair! To make matters worse I have an interview on Wednesday and I'm at a loss for what to do. Eep.

sparkle'n'bling
September 7th, 2010, 01:59 AM
If that shampoo isn't working for you, then you should try a different one. Can you get another sulphate-free one before your interview? Or maybe you could use soap to wash your hair? - someone I know used to wash their hair with soap and liked the job it did.

RadiantNeedle
September 7th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I'm enjoying clarifying with baking soda. If you want to avoid the sulphates, dilute two tablespoons in two cups of lukewarm water and rinse it through. Then massage your scalp and hair, or just your scalp if you're trying to avoid clarifying the ends. You could hold your ends out of the way or pre-oil/condition them to keep them relatively safe, as baking soda can be drying.

Rinse really well, then condition/oil as normal. Your hair should be ick-free!