PDA

View Full Version : long punk hair?

skeptic
May 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Ever since I've started growing my hair out, I've missed being able to bleach, spike, and do other punky things to it... and I'm a little tired of looking so plain.

Anyone have any ideas for ways to punk up long hair?

mommy101405
May 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ever since I've started growing my hair out, I've missed being able to bleach, spike, and do other punky things to it... and I'm a little tired of looking so plain.

Anyone have any ideas for ways to punk up long hair?

What about the paint in temp color or the clip in hair extensions. My hair dresser has them in almost every color.

akurah
May 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
Fake dreadlocks! :D

Riot Crrl
May 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Since I was in the punk scene (1985) there have always been some people hanging around with long pretty hair. I actually remember having conversations about how to protect ours in the pit, lol. Don't worry, no one thinks you're a weekend warrior just because of that. :)

Rebelkat
May 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
I don't know if they still make it, but when I was little they made "hair mascara" in several different colors ranging from copper to neon pink. I loved wearing it because I could do it differently every time I washed my hair. They also have some comb in temp color at Walmart and different drug stores that comes out in a single wash. Have you tried faux-hawks? I'm sure it isn't great for your hair, but it can't be as bad as bleaching. Also, I think there are a couple users on here that use Manic Panic. As long as you use a color that doesn't require bleaching, I don't see any harm in it, either. Wow, that was way more than I intended to type.

Aronomy
May 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
I don't know if they still make it, but when I was little they made "hair mascara" in several different colors ranging from copper to neon pink. I loved wearing it because I could do it differently every time I washed my hair. They also have some comb in temp color at Walmart and different drug stores that comes out in a single wash. Have you tried faux-hawks? I'm sure it isn't great for your hair, but it can't be as bad as bleaching. Also, I think there are a couple users on here that use Manic Panic. As long as you use a color that doesn't require bleaching, I don't see any harm in it, either. Wow, that was way more than I intended to type.

Is this hair mascara okay to use in blonde hair (like my blonde), or will it leave some residual color? I would looove to try this for going out/halloween/whenever :D.

Riot Crrl
May 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Your hair is quite rather blonde. Anything has the potential to possibly stain it more permanently than you want it to. If you want to use hair mascara, I would try a tiny bit of it on like 1/2" of an end first, and then see how long it takes to wash out.

getoffmyskittle
May 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Two words: dread falls. :D

:google:

ETA: I googled too, and here's a good site!

http://ikickshins.net/dreads.htm

ETA2: Ebay has better prices!

rhosyn_du
May 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Variations on pigtails and/or tiny braids seem to be pretty common in the punk scene around here. If your natural color is a light-to-medium brown, you can probably get pretty decent results from a red or purple deposit-only dye like Manic Panic or Special Effects that will wash out in a month or so (assuming non-chemically damaged hair; it will last for-freaking-ever on chemically damaged bits). Depending on how often you like to trim (if, for example, you trim every couple of months to keep a blunt hemline), then you might be able to get away with bleaching and coloring just the bottom couple inches. I had a friend in high school who did that with her classic length hair, and the damaged part always got trimmed off before it got to the point where it started breaking.

Sorus
May 21st, 2008, 11:08 PM
I do the bleachy punky things to my ends, plus stripes in the shorter layers around my face. Messy spiky updos show off the color, and neat buns hide it.

I will caution that having heavily bleached ends makes longer hair a bit more of a pain to deal with, because they are very prone to slits and breakage which causes it to tangle more. That being said, I can't imagine my hair without bright colors in it, so it's a worthwhile trade off for me.

Katze
May 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
I like letting my hair get as big as possible (going to bed wet and arranging it over my pillow helps) then doing a super messy updo with lots of little clips, or a ficcare but so my hair is BIG in the back. Then I put on a headband so it's sleek for 1-2 inches around my face and the rest is this uncontrolled mess.

To me, that's punk rock, but I'm an old lady, what do I know? :D

ALso, when I do "fake crown braids" (what my mom calls "coronet" - two upside down French braids along the top/back of my head) then secure them with lots of little claw clips, it can look really punk (for me anyway) in the sense of wild and eccentric. A headband can accentuate this.

My punk was always more industrial/goth, but I FEEL punk when I do stuff like this.

suicides_eve
May 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
try bunch of little twist and gel the end to form spikes, or i personally love hair pieces, the cheapos from walmart, they work great you can tease the crap outta them or style them (no heat they will melt!) then clip them to your head.

Kirin
May 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Oxelot Cyberlox

http://oxelot.com/store/

Periwinkle
May 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM

I remember using that...would have been 6 or 7 years ago. Mine was by 'Icing' and it was a particularly vile shade of pink.

squiggyflop
May 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
um you could try doing one of those braid mohawk things? you put your hair into like 3-4 ponys on the top of your head in a line spacing them evenly.. then you tie the ponys into knots.. then you braid the hair and you add each ponys hair to the braid as you get to each one.. ive gotten this do to be like 4 inches tall on my friend and i added some clip in extentions that we got from the dollar store hanging out..

pigtails are sort of punk.. i used to dye my hair all sorts of weird colors.. and the one hairstyle that i always got complements on was my micky mouse hairdo.. i have a pic in my album.. it looked cooler when my hair was pink but i still get loads of complements when i wear my hair like that

shellblue1
May 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I recommend the clip in hair extensions. I have some bleached blonde ones. I've even seen people add them into their bangs/fringe. They come in all different colors. I purchased some off of ebay for really cheap.

Amara
May 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
My solution is two fold -
I have chin length bangs (I keep them at chin length) that I dye a variety of colors when the mood strikes. I put streaks in about a half an inch back from my hairline - so I can pull all my hair back (chin length goes into all my updoes without falling out) and they are concealed, or wear them down for a visible streak of color.

I also have a long blue streak on one side - I've had it for about a year. One bleach job, then manic panic midnight blue on it every couple of months. So far it's showing no signs of damage. If it ever does, I'll henna it and leave it be and do a streak on the other side. :)

Sherri
May 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
I remember a lady on here who done something called a "dread hawk" it was really cool. i don't remember her name maybe someone can help me out. I think there are direction in the old forum? It looked liike a mohawk with braids.

HairColoredHair
May 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Clip in falls, mohawks (these are more... interesting when your hair's pretty long. :lol:)

young&reckless
May 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
All the colorful and weird shoelaces you find at places like Hottopic make great hair accesories!

I loved to use my Invader Zim ones in my french braids when my hair was shorter.

And they hold so much better then ribbon because of the texture!

kwaniesiam
May 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Get some cheap plain hairsticks and decorate them yourself, any messy updo should work. I'll second the temporary color or clip in extensions/dreadfalls.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
I miss that with longer hair as well, it's a rather classical look. I need to feel modern. I need to know that there's more to my hair than just neatly bunning it. I need layers, volume, ... It all being one length is definitely out for me but that doesn't mean I want very short layers or hacked up hair either.

I get what you mean, though...

There is a lot you can do to make it look more trendy. Have a modern cut put in (layers), or put it in more modern updo's, more messy or at least different than the classical bun.

lookingglass
May 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I'm kinda romantic/faerie/goth myself.:eyebrows: I like 2 really messy buns; bangs parted on the side, slicked down, held with a haripin, and a tousled 1/2 up. I have big hair anyway! Braids in an otherwise messy do is also pretty punk!:pumpkin:

fatmoogas
May 24th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I guess some people are born to have punky hair.

socks
May 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
As many people have already pointed out, semi-perm dyes are awesome. I use them every once in a while when I get bored with my naural color, which is somewhere between dark blond and light brown. There are few things more punky than 5+ feet of bright red, green, or blue hair!

<She>
May 25th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I agree with the temp hair dyes, there are a lot of options and combinations with colours.
As for updo, hair slicked into a very high ponytail, then make it look like you shocked yourself with about 220V, spike it/make braid waves/tease it with caution etc.
Or, make few random loose buns on top of your head and leave few sections hanging down, or braid them with ribbons/cables/electric wires...;)

kimki
May 25th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Two words: dread falls. :D

:google:

ETA: I googled too, and here's a good site!

http://ikickshins.net/dreads.htm

ETA2: Ebay has better prices!

Wow...look at these!! I'd feel like a christmas tree! :D

http://ikickshins.net/accessories.htm

Delenn
May 25th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I'd recommend stuff you can remove if your goal is to grow out your own hair. Besides, fake hair pieces come in inhuman colors that people crave and they can give your 'do heights that would be hard to achieve with just bleached/dyed natural hair. Some people get creative and have figured out how to make dreads with felted yarn, have fun with it!

Plus there's the added bonus of being able to "blend" monday through friday for job purposes, if that's an issue.