PDA

View Full Version : Bangs or no bangs?

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Hi,

I am growing out my hair from chin length (was the 'posh spice' bob), and my bangs are just starting to get into my eyes. Wondering if I should trim them or try to grow them out? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each? I am thinking I probably look better with bangs, but not sure if having them interferes with styling once hair is long?

Thanks!

Also I can't seem to see a lot of pics and links to blogs, as an aside. Is this a function of being a newby? I have been here a long time, tho didn't visit for months, and I don't have too much to post about since my hair is so short!

Thanks for any help/experiences.

shawty
September 6th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I would say grow them out because it's easier to fake bangs than to hide them. But if the opposite is true for you, then trim.

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Once you get to the 25 posts mark you'll be able to see more, then the rest appears at 100 posts I believe. :)

As for bangs, well:
Pros -
Softens updos
Suits some people better.
Cons -
Frequent trimming to keep them the right length
Generally more maintenance than the rest of the hair if it tends toward oiliness or curls.
Reduces the thickness of the rest of the hair (this could be a pro if your hair is extremely thick though).
Awkward to grow out.

That's all the ones I can think of. That said, if you like them, the cons don't really matter. :)

Juneii
September 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM
agreeing with pepperminttea. Also want to add that wind is not a friend of bangs and you can look pretty silly when it's windy and your bangs are everywhere! They do make updos look better, you just have to decide what is more important.

2peasinapod
September 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I agree that you should do what you want, but another problem I always had with bangs is that they made me break out on my forehead because they are always laying against it. Plus, they get in your eyes if you grow them out.

Those who like them really like them, though, so if you want to try them out, you should.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have thick, blunt bangs and I can do all kinds of hairstyles. I went without bangs for about 2 years, but I cut them back in again. I love them. They're me.

I should also say that hair type is a huge factor. My hair is straight and my bangs are no-maintenance except for trimming. Very occasionally I have to spritz them with water in the morning.

The pros for having bangs are that they do definitely soften the look of updos, and they also make a bold statement. If you have very straight hair, it keeps them out of your face without having to clip them or put them behind your ears.

The cons are that for people with certain hair types they can be a hassle to style every day.

So you need to ask yourself a few questions; are you a bangs person? Are bangs part of your identity? What is your hair type? Is your hair straight, wavy, or curly? Do your bangs require a lot of care every day?

These are really the most important considerations. This is really a question only you can answer.

luthien_belewen
September 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'd say if you want a simple look, grow them out. If you like the look of bangs and don't mind having them trimmed every few weeks then keep them. You can also simulate the side swept bang by parting your hair on the far side of your head to soften your look. Bangs look ok on me to a point, but I've got a low forehead and they just fall in my eyes. I think people with wider foreheads look better with bangs. Growing them out is a pain, which is what I'm doing now, but they are almost long enough to put behind my ears, so I'm happy! I've just been pinning back the stray bits with bobby pins so I don't look like a rebellious teenager.

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
It's good to read opinions on both sides, thank you! Frankly I think I look better with bangs, I can look kind of severe without them, or plain. But I also want a lot of hair for updoes, so not sure! I'm going to keep reading opinions as they come. This would be the time to cut them, as they are just starting to get really annoying.

As for care, I don't spend much time on my hair at present. I wash it daily (going to start trying to space that out), but I've only just started having to even brush it. When it is short-ish it doesn't tangle, and with the hairdo I've had, I haven't had to style it at all even. So I can't see myself styling my bangs every day, but I do find they frame my face and soften it up a bit.

Also thanks for the tips about posting/seeing pics. I best get to posting! Because I want to be able to see pics of what people are doing with their hair.

tinti
September 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I'd say grow them out. I'm in the same stage, my bangs are just below my eyes, and they're annoying me if they're loose. If you'd like it simple go for non bangs, if you like the bang look, go for bangs, I'd say.

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I should say too that I have straight hair.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I don't know how anyone can tell you that you "should" grow them out, if they don't know you or haven't seen you, or don't know how you like the look of bangs.

As I said earlier, bangs are no trouble for me with my straight hair, and I learned a long time ago to trim my own, so they're never in my eyes bothering me.

The bottom line is whether or not you prefer the bangs or no-bangs look on yourself, and how much or how little trouble they are for you.

FrizzFighter
September 6th, 2010, 04:23 PM
If you like bangs and they look good on you, why not keep them :)
I grew mine out a few years ago. Sometimes I miss having the option of hair on my forehead but I've found that creating a deep side part will give me a similar feeling if I want it.

minerva_deluthe
September 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Is there a thread with pics of bangs by chance? I need to post a few more times so I can actually see it though, haha!

Qwackie
September 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM
What I did when I was growing out bangs was make them chin length and put them to the side and let everything else grow. The bad thing was they kept getting in my face, which I didn't mind, but my teachers did.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Are you just trying to get an idea of how long, straight hair looks with bangs? My hair is not super long yet, but it's long enough for you to see what somewhat long hair looks like with bangs. I've linked a photo for you.

Here (http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/oopiedoop11/Hair/blog.jpg) is a photo of me with blunt bangs. The photo is a few months old, so my hair is a couple of inches longer right now, but my bangs are always the same length, so I look basically the same now; the rest of my hair is just a bit longer.

Here (http://frannyslonghair.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-trim-your-own-bangs-its-easy.html) is my off-site blog entry on how I trim my bangs. It's easy.

spidermom
September 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Another thing to take into consideration is how thick your hair is. If it's on the thin side, growing out your bangs will give you more thickness. Also, round and square faces tend to not look as good with bangs, at least not the straight-across, blunt kind.