PDA

View Full Version : Hair Disaster! Should I Go Back To Using Cones?

Aerith
September 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
LHC I really need more advice from you. :blossom:

So a few weeks ago I decided I was going to try out going cone free with Garnier Fructis' Triple Nutrition since I've heard it was a great conditioner. I clarified my hair to get any remaining cones out and used the conditioner. I have used this conditioner for both CO and for my normal shampoo and condition routine about 5 times. The bottle is almost gone and I haven't been so depressed about my hair in a long time!

The ends are like velcro, when I run my hands down my hair it feels like straw, I lose about 10-20 strands every time I comb my hair and that isn't normal for me, stray hair is falling out all day, I see splits 100x as bad now, I can move my hair from one shoulder to the other and create a bunch of tangles, and it's so tangly that trying to do a french braid turned into an absolute joke. I knew cones masked damage but wow... has it really been hiding all of this? I got so down about it that I wanted to take scissors and cut it to shoulder length! I was loving my hair before I started this experiment and I wonder if I can still love it again despite knowing what the cones were covering up. :( I tried putting some jojoba oil in my hair and that didn't seem to help much... I also stopped using any of the GF conditioner as leave in and that has improved it slightly but not much.

So here's what I have to ask you LHC:

It's almost my one year LHC anniversary and my hair looks worse right now than when I started. :( Maybe this transition is normal though since I've used cones since I can remember. Is cone free something that my hair has to get used to? Do you think I should try a different no cone conditioner or just go back to cones right away to prevent further damage? It feels like the GF isn't conditioning my hair enough, but it's supposed to have a ton of moisture and be very healthy for your hair from what I've heard.

Thanks for reading and sorry that I don't have any pictures this time. As always, I appreciate your advice and tips everyone. <3

allnaturalboy
September 6th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Are you using a shampoo with SLS? Because if so, why did you clarify? Regular S&C probably would have taken off the cones. I think you are in need of a serious deep treatment. Try an SMT or maybe a hot oil treatment.

Aerith
September 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Are you using a shampoo with SLS? Because if so, why did you clarify? Regular S&C probably would have taken off the cones. I think you are in need of a serious deep treatment. Try an SMT or maybe a hot oil treatment.

I am not using a shampoo with SLS anymore, I only did it initially to remove any of the remaining cones from my old conditioner, and because it had been a while since I had clarified. :) I am using Kiss My Face SLS free shampoo right now.

I think the hot oil treatment is a wonderful idea, I will definitely be trying that before my next S&C. Thank you.

virgo75
September 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
You might want to clarify your hair then do an SMT with a cheapie conditioner(Suave, V05).
I've found SMTs to be extremely moisturizing, even moreso than most other conditioners I've tried on their own.

The Triple Nutrition built up in my hair worse than anything with cones. :shrug:
And I didn't even find it moisturizing. Just left my hair tangled and feeling like plastic.

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2010, 10:43 AM
For me, going cone-free was something my hair had to adjust to - I too was horrified by how much damage appeared, and it took several hardcore S&D sessions to get it closer to respectable. Now, I love being cone-free, my hair's softer than it was on cones (albeit just as tangle-prone), but it's taken time, and I have had to be a lot more careful with it - constant updos, very patient detangling, the whole LHC caboodle. I really like my routine now, but everyone's hair is different; if cones work for you, go with it. I second the recommendation for more moisture - an SMT and a gentle oiling would be a great place to start before you decide. :) Good luck.

ChrissieM
September 6th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'd try another cone-free conditioner before swearing off cone-free forever. Garnier Triple Nutrition was nice for me for the first couple of washes, but then it dried my hair out. I use Suave Naturals conditioner (I like Vanilla Floral, Green Apple, Cherry Blossom, Pomegranate) as a regualr conditioner and in an SMT when I need it. Keep experimenting, and if it doesn't work for your hair, so what? Lots of LHCers use cones and have gorgeous hair. It's about what works for you.

Another option may be to use a coney serum on your length...it would help out with the tangling and you don't have to use it every wash to get the effects.

SurprisingWoman
September 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
My hair loves cones. I am a coney girl.

My hair hates protein and aloe. I don't use them.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Works for me. ;)

Harriet
September 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I find ACV rinses help to get rid of tangling.

Alix
September 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM
My hair enjoys cones but it doesn't need them. I mix my suave conditioner with a bit of coney conditioner and that seems to work for me.

luluj
September 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
My hair loves cones. I am a coney girl.

My hair hates protein and aloe. I don't use them.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Works for me. ;)

WHAT SurprisingWoman SAID :thumbsup:

spidermom
September 6th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I like using cones, too. My shampoo and conditioner are cone-free, but I have a coney serum that I use about once per week because I like the results.

Kristin
September 6th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I think you should do whatever works for you. That said, I was very unhappy the first time I went cone-free because I did not use the right conditioner for me. This time around, I'm using VO5 Kiwi Lime on all of my hair, let it sit for 5-10 mins. and then rub GF Triple Nutrition into the length and detangle. Rinse after 5 mins. You may have to try a couple of conditioners before you find one you like. Giovanni makes some nice ones (I think Smooth as Silk is the name of the one I use sometimes.). Definitely try an SMT or deep treatment and some overnight oiling. I just got a heat cap and that seems to help impart moisture during treatments as well. (Don't use with just oil on dry hair, though.)

If you're really unhappy, go back to cones. I did that after my first coneless attempt and was happy for awhile.

ravenreed
September 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I also recommend trying different non-cone conditioners before you throw in the towel. I tried bunches before I found what worked. For me, I use Suave Wild Cherry for my first conditioner, and either the GF Triple Nutrition or the Sally's version of Biolage Matrix from the ears down.

In addition, I absolutely swear by my catnip rinses. It has made a HUGE difference in the number of splits I find, and if I forget to do it for a week or two, bang, split ends. I do the Suave all over and let it sit, rinse, ACV, rinse, catnip and cover that with my 'moisturizing' conditioner and let that sit about 5 - 10 minutes. Rinse, rinse, rinse, and done. (I only do this three times a week because it does take a while.)

Like I said, catnip made all the difference. I do occasionally have to clarify because I find the catnip does build up a bit (I have extremely hard water), but once every month or so, I use a dilute SLS shampoo and that take care of it.

renarok
September 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I am also a cone user, my hair doesn't seem to have any harmful side effects from it.

I have recently been very pleased with the Suave Vanilla Floral as a co, and partial co(just a tsp. of shampoo on the scalp for the greasies.)

I use a coney serum from about the shoulders down.

I 2nd the SMT option as well.

luxepiggy
September 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I am a blatant cone user - the way I see it, I have

had long hair for most of my life;
used very coney products for the entire time;
have not shampooed the length of my hair for many years, only the scalp
never had any issues with buildup
my hair was always super shiny, soft and free of split ends or tangles.If you never had buildup problems with cones before, I don't personally see a need to switch to cone free. As another post mentioned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! (^(oo)^)

I found this article a very informative read - I highly recommend giving it a quick read
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

Aerith
September 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Well that settles it. A hot oil treatment, new cone-free conditioner and an SMT and ACV rinse are in the near future for me! :D I have never done an ACV rinse or SMT rinse before because reading too much about them scared me away. I heard the honey and molasses for a SMT can darken or lighten hair or bring out red hues and for now, I want to keep my natural color. I also heard ACV rinse smells really really bad and it's hard to get rid of the smell. I'm willing to try them though, but I have a question: will the SMT work just as well with just aloe and conditioner instead of adding honey and molasses?

If the things mentioned above don't work, I will have to go back to cones again. Thanks everyone. :)

Othala
September 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Go back to cones! Do not compromise the health and longevity of your hair. I use cones every day....amodimethicone is my cone of choice and nothing out of a jar lubricates and protects my hair better.

Aerith
September 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Here's an update for everyone: I did a hot oil treatment and switched my conditioner to GVP Conditioning Balm which I had leftover, I didn't realize it was cone free when I bought it ages ago. I immediately noticed the difference after applying both. The conditioner seemed to actually penetrate my hair rather than sit on top and feel sticky like the GF. And my hair feels pretty soft right now! It's still a bit frizzy and tangly but it's a lot more manageable than before. I think it really is a matter of moisturizing my hair and finding the perfect conditioner. If it starts becoming more tangly and unmanageable again, I'm definitely going back to cones so I don't sacrifice the health of my hair. :)

I'm going to pick up some SMT or ACV rinse supplies tomorrow at the store if I have some time and hopefully that will improve it even more so there is less tangles. Thank you again for the feedback. <3

MsBubbles
September 8th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I tried going cone-free about a year ago and I would have said the same thing you said - that I hadn't felt that depressed about my hair in a long time!

A coney serum enables me to detangle with a very small amount of cones rather than slathering silicones all through my hair in a C-W-C. The rest of the time I can just use cone-free shampoo & conditioner.

I can't do without the cones. S'alright! :shrug:

Flossy
September 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm really liking my cone free routine now, and it's taken a while. I wash in the mornings, to stretch out the washing for just one more day, and the night before I do a medium oiling with a sweet almond/jojoba blend. I wet my hair, CWC (with a Pears condish first and then V05 Kiwi Lime last) and detangle in the shower. Then I use a cone-free detangling spray before I blow-dry the roots (too cold here still to dry naturally all the way).

My ends have never felt better than when I starting oiling them with the particular oil I am using now (which is actually a baby massage oil!). It's very light, but just what I needed. I also try and avoid protein.

It's all trial and error.

ktani
September 9th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Split ends (http://www.hairscientists.org/trichoptilosis.htm) are caused by dryness.

Dryness can be caused by build-up.

Silicone keeps getting singled out as the main cause of this and it is simply not true. It can build-up. It can cause dryness but so can many conventional and natural ingredients, from waxes and oils to polymers and more.

There are different kinds of silicones and not all of them build-up and require clarifying. It is a question of finding products that work for you and understanding how to read ingredient labels to avoid products with heavier amounts of the kinds of ingredients that can build-up faster than others.

emmabovary
September 9th, 2010, 03:37 AM
The same thing happened to me with GF Triple Nutrition. Horrible velcro ends and buildup!!! It was easily sorted out by clarifying though :)

Katze
September 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
You might want to clarify your hair then do an SMT with a cheapie conditioner(Suave, V05).
I've found SMTs to be extremely moisturizing, even moreso than most other conditioners I've tried on their own.

I second (third) this. My hair often gets as you describe and a SMT helps many (but not all) problems. Also, you are not using sulfates, and for me (but I have fine hair and a scalp that tends to crustiness) going sulfate free for too long gives me tangly, dry, velcro-y hair too.

Well that settles it. A hot oil treatment, new cone-free conditioner and an SMT and ACV rinse are in the near future for me! :D I have never done an ACV rinse or SMT rinse before because reading too much about them scared me away. I heard the honey and molasses for a SMT can darken or lighten hair or bring out red hues and for now, I want to keep my natural color. I also heard ACV rinse smells really really bad and it's hard to get rid of the smell. I'm willing to try them though, but I have a question: will the SMT work just as well with just aloe and conditioner instead of adding honey and molasses?

The standard recipe for SMT is honey, aloe, and conditioner. I have never used molasses in my hair - it is not available where I live. Honey has never, not once, lightened my hair, though I keep hoping it will some day. I do SMTs on my DH when I can get him to sit still, and they have never, ever lightened his hair.

I am personally a nonbeliever in the 'honey lightens hair' theory, but have experienced that regular SMTs stripped dye out of my hair. I think the conditions needed to get honey to lighten your hair are so particular that you can do an SMT without risking it. After all, honey does not bleach bath towels or clothing, now does it? :)

ktani
September 9th, 2010, 05:07 AM
SMT's have been reported to lighten hair here on the boards. It depends on the recipe used, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=299163&postcount=2379. It is best to separately microwave the honey first for 30 seconds to under 1 minute to prevent the possibility of that happening.

“Advantages of Powdered Oxygen Bleach
Oxygen bleaches are also color-safe and won't bleach dyed fabrics like chlorine bleach will."
http://oxygenbleach.homestead.com/files/ (http://oxygenbleach.homestead.com/files/)

More on that here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=392235&postcount=3063