PDA

View Full Version : Does keeping your hair up affect hair growth?

Yasmine91
September 6th, 2010, 06:45 AM
When I was younger I constantly had my hair tied up in a bun. My mum believed that I would haves gotten the evil eye if I left it open. I was just wondering if keeping your hair up affect the growth rate.

Henrietta
September 6th, 2010, 07:03 AM
In my case it didn't. My hair doesn't grow faster since I wear it up. It's been 187 days now;) It didn't grow at all last month but I don't blame wearing it up for this. So- no effects.

redneckprincess
September 6th, 2010, 09:15 AM
some say it helps protect the ends, but i have noticed since joining a wear it up for a month (6 weeks actually) challange, that when I take it down to shower, I have alot of shed/broken/lose hairs that come out.

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Not technically growth-related, but with my hair up more I breaks less, so I can go longer between haircuts, and so my length seems to grow more quickly when in reality I'm just losing less of it to broken ends.

slythwolf
September 6th, 2010, 09:58 AM
some say it helps protect the ends, but i have noticed since joining a wear it up for a month (6 weeks actually) challange, that when I take it down to shower, I have alot of shed/broken/lose hairs that come out.

If you look at the ends of the hairs, you will be able to tell whether they are shed or broken by whether the root is attached. It may be that since your hair is up all day, it's harder for them to fall out when they actually shed, and so they all come out at once in the shower.

redneckprincess
September 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM
actually thats probally quite true, i didnt think about it that way...

OT: where at in Mi are you...Im in Mid-Mich.. by alot of big Towns...wont say here but would in a PM if your nearby

If you look at the ends of the hairs, you will be able to tell whether they are shed or broken by whether the root is attached. It may be that since your hair is up all day, it's harder for them to fall out when they actually shed, and so they all come out at once in the shower.

Aquamarine
September 6th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Not really. My hair grows fine if it's down or up. But my ends are a lot healthier since I started wearing my hair up. It doesn't get caught in things and also I have an awful habit of playing with my ends. So wearing it up keeps it out of my way and the length is much more protected.

JenniferNoel
September 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
A lot of people stop wearing their hair up when they see all of the shed hairs in the shower, but like slythwolf said, they detach throughout the day and can only "shed" when they're no longer contained in the up do.
I have my hair oiled all the time in up dos, and I swear my hair growth is benefiting a great deal from it. My scalp feels fantastic and my ends are flawless, but I have to "protect" my pillowcase at night and all that from the oil.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I have not noticed any difference in growth rate at all since wearing my hair up.

However, my hair is much healthier since being more protected.

I do like to wear my hair down when I go out though.

And it's true; when you wear your hair up all the time, sometimes you may get a fright when you see how much hair is shed when you take it down and brush it, but remember that hair that's shed when your hair is down often falls to the ground or onto your clothes. When you wear it up, the shed hair stay put until you take down your hair.

dreamy10
September 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I think it's good because it keeps the ends protected.

julliams
September 7th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but even when I wear a hairstick, when I take my hair out, many of the ends are bent in all kinds of funny angles so I'm not entirely convinced that my updos are protecting my ends. I do prefer to have it up though when I'm working( I work with children so there is the nits thing), cooking or cleaning in general. As for growth rate, not sure it would make any difference.

Phexlyn
September 7th, 2010, 05:11 AM
No. The roots of your hair, where your hair grows, do not care what you do with the length of your hair ;)

However, hair growth is not always the same as gaining length, as others have already pointed out. If your ends are in a bad condition, your hair may break and not get visibly longer although it is growing all the time. If you pull at your hair too much, like in extremely tight updos, over a longer period of time, your hair can fall out. If you are not careful while putting your hair up or use hairtoys with sharp edges, your hair can be damaged and break off. If you are gentle and use hairfriendly toys, and try to vary the position of updos so they're not always in the same place on your head, and don't put tension on your roots, then updos will protect your hair. All this affects gaining length by keeping your hair in good condition, but it's not connected to the way hair grows out of your head :)

Night_Kitten
September 12th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I haven't noticed any change in the hair growth rate after I started putting my hair up, but I did notice a big change for the better in the condition of my hair, especially the ends - much less breakage and splits, and so much less tangles! Also, putting my hair up allows me to oil the ends more heavily than i would be able to if I wore it down, and that also contributes to protection from damage and dryness :)

PrincessBob
September 12th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I notice my length more after I have had it up for a while, but I don't think it grows faster. I just get used to it being up (in braids it lies in the mid back abyss)m so when it is down and fluffs at the tailbone I go, "Wow, when did that happen?"