PDA

View Full Version : "Mommy... Her Hair!"

LittleOrca
September 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I was a the store yesterday and I had left my hair down because it was cool enough too. I had gone school supply section to get some supplies (though I don't start until the 27th, but it is all on sale!). As I was walking I turned a corner to look through the cute printed folders. I heard a little kid say, "Mommy... Her Hair!" I didn't look at the kid, but I imagined him/her pointing at me since the voice was obviously really young, probably 3 years old. I didn't assume it was me, until I noticed that the only other person near me that had "long hair" had it to their shoulder. I continued to pretend to be oblivious to the obvious loud talking of the child as s/he kept saying "Mommy... Her Hair!" Eventually the mother said "Yes sweetie, she does have lovely hair, doesn't she?"

By that time I had moved to the end of the isle and was leaving that section of the store. It was nice to hear a compliment from a stranger again, even if they were only 3. ;)

kwaniesiam
September 5th, 2010, 05:28 PM
To a little girl you must have had princess hair! What a nice compliment :cloud9:

wvgemini
September 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Aw! How sweet :)

VitaR86
September 5th, 2010, 06:03 PM
That is just too cute <3

Peter
September 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
To a little girl you must have had princess hair! What a nice compliment :cloud9:
It's princess hair to me, too! :D

littlenvy
September 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM
That so sweet!!! :)

Kids know when they see something special.

Speckla
September 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Doesn't it feel good?
I went to a wedding and the little girl behind me kept 'petting' my hair. Her mom was embarrassed and all but it was not really a bad thing. The little girl was 2 or less and not really old enough to understand about personal space and all. "Pretty, pretty," was what she kept saying. Wonder if she thought she was petting a curly sheep??? or kitty. :)

tinti
September 5th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Aww, that's so cute! Bet that felt good :)

ArienEllariel
September 5th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Awww I love when kids say stuff like that. :3

Carolyn
September 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM
That's so sweet! You do have princess hair.

Nae
September 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
There isn't anything as wonderful as bringing a little magic into the life of babies. What a wonderful experience LittleOrca!

Capybara
September 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM
That is wonderful! Your hair is beautiful :)

julya
September 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
The nice thing about compliments from children is that you know they are telling the truth.

Jenn of Pence
September 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
The nice thing about compliments from children is that you know they are telling the truth.

Yes, exactly! They are so bluntly honest. :)

arwenevenstar37
September 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
that is adorable!!!! the little girl met a princess in while looking for school supplies :)

sibiryachka
September 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hah, I had something similar happen to me a couple of months ago - except that the kid in question kept tugging at his mom's sleeve and going "Ruby!! Look, it's Ruby!"
Yeah, it turns out my hair is not entirely unlike that of Ruby Gettinger, the one with her own reality show? The show on Style Network, about her journey out of morbid obesity? :rolleyes:
I had to work pretty hard with myself not to take that one the wrong way! It's just a little kid... you are not, in fact, anywhere near that large...
Also, it was really funny how the mom tried to shush him. You may be sure I won't be wearing that outfit again, though ;)

mrs carol
September 5th, 2010, 08:56 PM
How sweet, kids know long hair is special.

30isthenewblack
September 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
From the mouths of babes and all that ...

Doesn't it feel good?
I went to a wedding and the little girl behind me kept 'petting' my hair. Her mom was embarrassed and all but it was not really a bad thing. The little girl was 2 or less and not really old enough to understand about personal space and all. "Pretty, pretty," was what she kept saying. Wonder if she thought she was petting a curly sheep??? or kitty. :)

That's so funny! Children always warm to me but I don't know whether they mistake me for Krusty the Clown or Sideshow Bob :rollin:

Chrissy
September 5th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Nice!!! (I know this will say the message is too short so yeah nice!) :)

LittleOrca
September 5th, 2010, 09:37 PM
It was certainly cute. Thankfully, they weren't petting me, not that I am angry when children or elderly women do it, it's almost cute. ;)

katha
September 6th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Well you know what they say about children and fools. :)

Konstifik
September 6th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Ohh! That's so awesome! But the kid was telling the truth, you got princessy hair. :D

Now I have to tell about a similar experience, at the medical centre (of all places) :P
It was a warm summer day, the kind of day I really love most of all. So I thought I'd dress in my prettiest summer dress, and wear my (then newly hennaed and shiny) hair in a neat and flowery updo. When I was by the entrance, a little girl behind me exclaimed "look! A princess! A princess, mom!" and pointed directly at me. :D
Her mom was a bit uncomfortable, and I pretended to be oblivious. Needless to say, it made my day. ^^

LittleOrca
September 6th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Ohh! That's so awesome! But the kid was telling the truth, you got princessy hair. :D

Now I have to tell about a similar experience, at the medical centre (of all places) :P
It was a warm summer day, the kind of day I really love most of all. So I thought I'd dress in my prettiest summer dress, and wear my (then newly hennaed and shiny) hair in a neat and flowery updo. When I was by the entrance, a little girl behind me exclaimed "look! A princess! A princess, mom!" and pointed directly at me. :D
Her mom was a bit uncomfortable, and I pretended to be oblivious. Needless to say, it made my day. ^^

That is super cute. :)

leslissocool
September 6th, 2010, 02:25 AM
That's so sweet! You do have princess hair.

AWWW that is so sweet! You have Princess hair! This world is so full of anger and shattered dreams already, it's good that there's people like you who are bringing a little magic to it!

Ps: I would pet your hair... I would be telling you how jealous I am while doing it, but I would be petting it....And i bet it would be so soft :D

julliams
September 6th, 2010, 03:10 AM
This is so funny because I read your post this morning and then today, when I was out and about wearing my 3 babushka's t-shirt, this little girl (about 3) kept saying "look behind you mummy - she has the same t-shirt as ????(forgot name)" I also did my best to pretend I didn't notice, but then I saw the same family at the butchers 10 minutes later and the little girl went on to repeat "look behind you mummy" and the mum said "yes I know, she has the same t-shirt as ?????". I immediately thought of your experience and then I realised - she didn't notice my hair - boo hoo. I would have been stoked if it had been about my hair - lol.

dreamsofnorns
September 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I heard a little kid say, "Mommy... Her Hair!" ...Eventually the mother said "Yes sweetie, she does have lovely hair, doesn't she?"...It was nice to hear a compliment from a stranger again, even if they were only 3. ;)

That is so cute!
When I was in Middle School my class volunteered at a preschool once a week. I quickly learned that if I wanted any hair left I had to wear it up or in braids because some of the kids had never seen blonde hair before and all they wanted to do was stick their hands in my hair and play with it... which was fine... as long as there weren't twenty or so 2-5 year olds all doing it at the same time :)
That was really nice that the mother complimented you. So many people I have met always ask me why I haven't cut my hair... and my hair isn't really that long (I guess it is long for a lot of people but it is still four or five inches from my waist). I don't understand why total strangers think it is ok to come up to you and say, "your hair is really beautiful. You should get a hair cut and give your hair to locks of love." I love the idea of locks of love and I understand that I have long hair and that they could make a wig with it, but I want my hair to stay on my head, and if I don't know you, what makes you think I will take your hair cutting advice?
I have never been to a salon, and I don't ever really want to go. I've heard far too many horror stories from my family, friends, and random people who choose to talk to me on public transportation to ever want to go to one. My mom or my grandmother usually cut my hair (though my grandmother tends to take off twice as much as you want her to when she tries to make it even :) )
What I'm trying to say is, it is so nice that not only did you make some little girl happy, but you also received a compliment from her mother, so maybe the world is changing in a good way :)

slz
September 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I have learnt to acknowledge this kind of compliments with a smile and/or a thank you, since I realized most of the time people (children or not) do so because they're too shy/embarrassed to compliment in front, so it just breaks the "awkward" feeling to "confront" them - in a positive way. However it wasn't always that easy, I have been known to burst out in tears of anger when a kid did this kind of thing to me, I just couldn't take the "freak show" feeling it gave me. I was kinda depressive at the time, nowadays I've come to enjoy being looked as a freak ^^ .

Konstifik
September 6th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I have learnt to acknowledge this kind of compliments with a smile and/or a thank you, since I realized most of the time people (children or not) do so because they're too shy/embarrassed to compliment in front, so it just breaks the "awkward" feeling to "confront" them - in a positive way. However it wasn't always that easy, I have been known to burst out in tears of anger when a kid did this kind of thing to me, I just couldn't take the "freak show" feeling it gave me. I was kinda depressive at the time, nowadays I've come to enjoy being looked as a freak ^^ .

Well, if your hair equals freaky, then I'd love to be a freak! :D

chopandchange
September 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM
That's so sweet! I bet you were pleased!

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Doesn't it feel good?

Aww so sweet!!:)

Quixii
February 25th, 2012, 12:25 AM
It's so great to have moments like that, isn't it?

I was once walking down a city street, and I was dressed up for a convention I was attending. So I had my hair down and was wearing a corset and flowy shirt and stuff. I heard a little girl, couldn't be older than 9, turn excitedly to her mom, "Look mommy, a real princess with princess hair!" Probably one of my favourite compliments ever. :D