PDA

View Full Version : Long count for natural length

Pages : [1] 2

spidermom
May 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
I know I am in for the long count. I nurture my hair as a natural resource. I have no desire to change its color or texture by dye, bleach, perm, indigo, or henna. It is unique and beautiful just as it is (between times of being a pain). I will grow it as long as I can continue to care for it by myself.

Who is walking this particular path with me?

DecafJane
May 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm still only just past shoulder-length (HOORAY!!!) but can I join you? I love my natural colour, it has variations that no salon could ever give. I love the fact that I have kinky black hairs and wavy blondes, all mixed together. I love the natural spirals that it goes into when I let it dry by itself (without pulling it up).
I'm so content with being in this journey for the long haul that it is bringing a LOT of patience, as I know I will never go for a big haircut again.
I can appreciate that other people enjoy colouring their hair, but it isn't for me. :)

ETA: Spidermom, your hair IS a treasure! I love it!

Haith
May 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
I would love to join as well! I have come to the realization that I can love my hair just the way it is... no need to cut/colour/style it like in the magazines, no need for it to look like some celebrities latest 'do. My hair is beautiful in its own way and own right, and I am going to embrace it just as it is!

Yari
May 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I would like to join. :)

The quintessence fits nicely, author unknown: My hair is my flower, watch it bloom.

DaveDecker
May 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
You can count me in!

That was easy. :)

julya
May 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm with you Spidermom.

KaeleyAnne
May 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'm in for the long count as well. I love my hair as it is.

Dianyla
May 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm here! :waving:

I look forward to seeing how my hair changes naturally over time.

That was easy. :)
Ditto! :lol:

blue_nant
May 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Here, too. I keep looking at my gray hairs and examining if I care about them. I don't. After my last perm, I probably won't perm again. This iswhat I'm supposed to have.

The fact of opposable thumbs and a curious mind allows me to fiddle around with it when I want to, lol. :eyebrows:

Shirlpunzel
May 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
me too :)

no dye or anything for me, and my goal is also to grow my hair for as long as I am still able to take care of it

nappywomyn
May 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Oooh, how interesting. I've been considering giving up henna. Hrm. I'll have to think about that one...

Raederle
May 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
Well, you know I'm right there with you girlfriend. I haven't trimmed my hair since August of 2006, haven't used any color on it since the last quasi henna of 2002, and am happily waiting to see just how long my hair will decide to grow.

cindy58
May 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
I'm with you -- perfect timing as more silvers are popping up. I've never colored before and it sounds like a big pain to me.

wimsey
May 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
I'm definitely in with you, spidermom. Minimal once a year trimming is about all I can manage.

wintersun99
May 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'll let you know after I finish my glass of wine :eyebrows:
I just can't seem to trade in henna for my natural color (which comes with sprinkles of gray) :hmm:

EdG
May 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
I know I am in for the long count. I nurture my hair as a natural resource. I have no desire to change its color or texture by dye, bleach, perm, indigo, or henna. It is unique and beautiful just as it is (between times of being a pain). I will grow it as long as I can continue to care for it by myself.

Who is walking this particular path with me?I am.

The best hair style is the one that came with one's body. This is a great path to be on spidermom! :)
Ed

Morag
May 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'm on the fence, Spidermom. I was happy with my natural color, and it was getting very interesting with the grey sparklies - I wanted more of them!

But I also love the results of my recent henna gloss, and - since I really do want to thicken my hair - I'm not sure I want to give that up.

Maybe if I don't meet the requirements for the team, I can stand by and cheer?

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

spidermom
May 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
Cheerleaders are most welcome. I'm just curious how many are going it completely natural, like me. There have been so many changing the color/cutting/perming threads lately; I was feeling rather marginalized (but better now; I'm not alone).

DecafJane
May 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
I would guess that there are a lot of us out there, but I suppose it is hard to start a "this week I left my hair alone!" thread, as much as we love our hair. ;)

willowcandra
May 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I haven't coloured since dec 2004 and don't ever plan to again. So count me in.

Katze
May 22nd, 2008, 01:10 AM
I'm in!

I fell back onto the bleach bandwagon briefly last summer, giving myself very subtle gold highlights at home. But since my crown hair is so much more fragile, I think it's a better idea to just leave it alone. Maybe, if I'm lucky, all the sun we're having will give me highlights like BF already has.

My hair is so mixed - straight, babyfine, and translucent on top, dark and curly and wiry on the bottom. Recently it's been hard to deal with again - the damaged ends hang weirdly, my bangs can't seem to make up their mind, and my wave comes and goes from about 1b to 2b depending on 'cones, weather, etc.

BUT I am determined to make the most of it. While I might not ever have enviable hair, I will have the best hair *I* can have, given genetics etc.

Spidermom, if my hair looks like yours in ten years (enough time for the fairytale ends to grow past waist so I can trim them blunt) I will be really happy.

trollkjerring
May 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
I am with you on the natural path. For now all I have to show is about one inch of virgin hair and I plan to not change anything about my hair again. I am going for virgin and terminal hair and I am glad to see others doing the same.
trollkjerring

bte
May 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
I am definitely. I am just as determined never to spend money on salons as I am not to go for colours, treatments, extensions or anything else damaging to my hair (and probably to the environment as well).

Good luck and good growing to all 'naturals'.

aisling
May 22nd, 2008, 01:46 AM
I'm in! My hair is almost tailbone length and all natural colour. Sometimes in the winter I'm really, really bored with the colour, it easily looks kind of dull and dark when there's not much natural light around. Now, when the sun is shining, my hair looks a lot lighter and more lively, in a way. I do have to admit, I won't mind if I get some sun bleached streaks during the summer, I won't protect my hair religiously.

I have what is a quite common colour around here, dark blonde/light brown, in my case with a slightly golden hue, not ashy. It's hair coloured hair :) This is obviously not regarded a "proper" colour, you're supposed to bleach and colour it to get some "real" colour. It's kind of obvious when you read beauty forums, listen to people's opinions and check out people's hair. Too bad, because I'm keeping it!

Nini
May 22nd, 2008, 03:02 AM
Count me in too!

I haven't colored or permed so far in my 29 years, and I'm not inclined to start anytime soon;)

Nini

kate46
May 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
I'm definitely with you! I haven't dyed or used henna since July last year. I now have virgin hair to just above my ears, it's a slow process and it's driving me crazy :rolleyes: but I'm determined to stick it out. I will never use colour of any kind again.

AutumnLeaves
May 22nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
I'm there too, Spidermom. I am not pleased with my color at all, but I'm committed to no more hair dye, no more cuts. I hope that as it grows it will continue to change, and hopefully go to a nice color silver. Right now, I am starting to feel like I have Weimaraner colored hair...at least on the canopy. Pretty on the Weims; not so pretty on me.

Guenever
May 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
Sadly, I'm a work in progress.. I haven't dyed, blowdried, bleached etc. since August '06, but my roots are only at chin length, so.. I'm about 1/4 of a virgin :tongue:
I'm the light brown/dark blonde/raw liver paste color that is so common in Scandinavia - one of the reasons why I dyed in the past.. it's not really a color.. just a bit dull :confused: D*mn you, non-color!
So like Aisling I'm hoping for some naturally sun bleached streaks.. :)

Strongnlong
May 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Spidermom I WANT to walk with you on this one BUT I stopped hennaing my hair a couple months ago and I think it'll take some time to appreciate the silver strands. :D.....I'm committed to a yr free of henna. After that we'll see.

Silver Strands
May 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
I'm never putting color on my hair again.
I've learned my lesson the hard way.

I only colored my hair with henna (i'm allergic to dyes)
and only for 2 years but it was all because of vanity.
I started to feel I looked older than I did.
Well "Pride goeth before a fall" and my hair paid for it.

I still have to trim out some layers to get back to one length
but then I intend to grow to tailbone.

I really like my silvers now and no longer care what anyone else thinks.

Sherry, my hair kind of looks like a Weimaraner too! Beautiful dogs

frizzinator
May 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
I'm on this path.

Altocumulus
May 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
I'm in too. It was fun to see what my hair looked like henna red, but I prefer my natural hair.

harpgal
May 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Count me in! I love the way my whites are slowly weaving themselves throughout the rest of my tresses. Why ruin a good thing?

Rae~
May 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'm fairly sure I'm in, but I reserve the right to jump the fence and join the cheerleaders if I lose my nerve in the face of grey. :D I've not had to really make that decision (ie to let the greys come in) properly yet, but it's coming.

Eireann
May 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'll be a cheerleader. :cheese: I love my natural haircolor except for the grey. ;) When I first started going grey in my 20s, I quit the henna, because I wanted to enjoy my natural dark brown while it lasted. I am planning to grow my hair for the forseeable future, but I'm not ready to go grey just yet. Someday I will, but not this day!

rhubarbarin
May 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm in too. I have only altered my hair color once, unfortunately it was 5 months before I found LHC.

I love my natural color now, and I really like graying hair.

Poolsoflaughter
May 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm natural as far as no-dyes...I'm still trying to find the right products to use, though. ;)

freznow
May 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm in! I'll never color my hair or any chemical change in texture. My potential use of cassia may take me from this club, but I feel that cassia isn't much different from something like coconut oil in it's consequences down the road, so I'm thinking that's okay...

SchnauzerMom
May 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
My hair has never been colored and my last perm was at least 10 years ago. My problem is cutting, I get to a certain length, start thinking that it's ugly and whack it off. I'm in, my goal is to leave it alone.

Islandgrrl
May 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Well, Spidermom, I'd love to join the club. I've been seriously considering just letting the gray come in and quitting the henna. I do solemnly swear to never use conventional chemical hair color or other hair-altering substances (perm type stuff) on my hair ever again. And I do solemnly swear to embrace the texture of my hair (I actually already do this) and allow it to grow freely until it decides it's found terminal length). And also I will not cut my hair in any way to alter the style of it, but will trim minimally as necessary to preserve its health and integrity. I reserve the right to the occasional henna gloss, though, if I can't handle the gray quite yet.

May I play?

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm so happy to see who we are. Wow - small group. Have you seen the henna and chemical dye threads? I mean -- we're puny.

CatPower
May 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm in. I'm really into the natural look whether it has to do with hair, makeup, or clothing. The last time I dyed my hair was probably last year and I have just gotten rid of my layers (finally) and have a nice blunt cut to continue my hair progression. :)

Meli
May 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm in, too. My hair is completely virgin, and I have never dyed or bleached it. I did have a perm as a kid, though, but that is long ago now. I'm quite happy with my hair's natural texture and colour, and lately, I have been appreciating it even more. I'm not going to cut it, either, unless my ends turn to crap beyond saving. I want it to grow as my genes allows it to, and I only do S&D as needed. And what's even better - I have found that WO and herbal rinses is the best routine for my hair, so I don't even have to use products on it - only natural things. I do occasional cassia treatments, though, but as that doesn't alter my haircolour at all, I don't count it as changing my hair - only conditioning/strengthening.

AJoifulNoise
May 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'm in. I'm still growing out my last dye job, but I plan to never dye it again. I want to watch the silvers creep in and take over. I already have a couple and I think they're beautiful!

ginalaurie
May 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I do solemnly swear to never use conventional chemical hair color or other hair-altering substances (perm type stuff) on my hair ever again. And I do solemnly swear to embrace the texture of my hair (I actually already do this) and allow it to grow freely until it decides it's found terminal length). And also I will not cut my hair in any way to alter the style of it, but will trim minimally as necessary to preserve its health and integrity.

Amen!!

I accept the challenge and take the oath!

I've left my hair alone for over 2 years years now except for microtrims and I enjoy it so much and (even though I can say that it doesn't matter what other people think, but I DO enjoy the nice comments) I've gotten more compliments on my hair now than I ever had when it was short, highlighted and "ordinary".

Euphony
May 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well, Spidermom, I'd love to join the club. I've been seriously considering just letting the gray come in and quitting the henna. I do solemnly swear to never use conventional chemical hair color or other hair-altering substances (perm type stuff) on my hair ever again. And I do solemnly swear to embrace the texture of my hair (I actually already do this) and allow it to grow freely until it decides it's found terminal length). And also I will not cut my hair in any way to alter the style of it, but will trim minimally as necessary to preserve its health and integrity. I reserve the right to the occasional henna gloss, though, if I can't handle the gray quite yet.

May I play?
I'm right there with you, except for the gray. Well the henna is an added bonus in hiding the silver spider that is growing from the top of my head. But once my hair is more gray I'm going to let it go. My henna use is for strength for my hair, with an added bonus of a wonderful color.

But I don't use man made chemicals on my hair, just natural goodies. Not even sulfates or cones, the color is natural...I just wasn't born with it :D

embee
May 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
May I bring Pantera and Peton Python too? (They are completely satisfied with their appearance.) I love my hair and would be utterly bewildered to have anything different. I know there's "better hair" on this list, but my hair is *mine* and I like it as it is, thanks, and do not plan to change it. ;)

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
I'm right there with you, except for the gray. Well the henna is an added bonus in hiding the silver spider that is growing from the top of my head. But once my hair is more gray I'm going to let it go. My henna use is for strength for my hair, with an added bonus of a wonderful color.

But I don't use man made chemicals on my hair, just natural goodies. Not even sulfates or cones, the color is natural...I just wasn't born with it :D

True, henna is natural. Did you get in on the thread about it?

I'm glad to identify the very few of us who are accepting the hair as it comes out of our heads, silver spiders and all. I need hands to grasp when pushed by ideas like my color should be more vibrant or my texture more controlled.

Dianyla
May 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Sometimes in the winter I'm really, really bored with the colour, it easily looks kind of dull and dark when there's not much natural light around. Now, when the sun is shining, my hair looks a lot lighter and more lively, in a way. I do have to admit, I won't mind if I get some sun bleached streaks during the summer, I won't protect my hair religiously.
I have very similar coloring. It used to bother me more when I was younger. However, now I've come to appreciate that the darker ashy winter color suits my pale winter skin better. Come summer, I get a light tan on my face and the warmer sun-created highlights are a good complement.

Passive hair coloring due to exposure to the elements isn't any sort of disqualifier from the natural path. :D

Indigo Girl
May 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Count me in too. I refuse to color my hair; I only cassia for strand health. I don't have any grays yet, but know in my heart I will embrace the natural change ~

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
I recently tried a form of cassia (I think) called senna augustiflora for strand strength, and it made my color appear somewhat more ashy, which wasn't at all intentional. I have a lot of very fine hairs that break very easily; I did it for them.

nicolezoie
May 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'm in, and have been pretty much my whole life. Never have permed, colored, bleached, or otherwise chemically manipulated my hair. It just does its own thing. :)

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
May I bring Pantera and Peton Python too? (They are completely satisfied with their appearance.) I love my hair and would be utterly bewildered to have anything different. I know there's "better hair" on this list, but my hair is *mine* and I like it as it is, thanks, and do not plan to change it. ;)

Only if I can bring Buster, a natural blonde. Unfortunately (sob!), my son and his GF took Sweety with them when they moved. She technically belonged to them. Did you see the last picture that I posed of her in my snakes thread? She had her mouth wide open.

Penelope
May 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Logged on just to say HERE!

--ever present in this ever "puny" group (LOL!!!)
...and I'm ever happy with my choice! :)

Indigo Girl
May 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Did it help strengthen, spidermom? Do you think you'll use it again?

I have a lot of fine hairs that break easily too...though cassia doesn't affect my color at all ~

Mary <><
May 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I'm in! I have been trying to embrace the form of beauty that I was dealt, though there are many other forms. Nothing I can do, so I might as well embrace it, LOL! :cheese:

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Did it help strengthen, spidermom? Do you think you'll use it again?

I have a lot of fine hairs that break easily too...though cassia doesn't affect my color at all ~

I'm not sure. The senna was sitting around unused, so I decided to use it. I have no plan to get some more at this point, but if I happen to trip over some, I'd probably put it to good use.

jojo
May 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
well lead the way spidermom, I'm definitely walking with you. I havent touched a drop of dye since 2005, and i have quite a few greys coming through the front, i was made this way so why change it? plus my DH calls me his silver fox, which is cute (even though i only have about 20 odd grey hairs)

eta- sorry spidermom forgot to say i love your new siggi, your hair colour is identical to mine, i can never get a true reflection of it on a photo!

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
eta- sorry spidermom forgot to say i love your new siggi, your hair colour is identical to mine, i can never get a true reflection of it on a photo!

SO........ are we blondes? Compared to light bottle blondes, this color looks kind of beige ....... so exciting/vibrant (haha... NOT). But I like it. This is about the closest to accurate that I've been able to capture my color. Some pictures are almost chocolate-colored (like my last sig pic).

jojo
May 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
SO........ are we blondes? Compared to light bottle blondes, this color looks kind of beige ....... so exciting/vibrant (haha... NOT). But I like it. This is about the closest to accurate that I've been able to capture my color. Some pictures are almost chocolate-colored (like my last sig pic).

i know what you mean some photos mine looks red, others brown and well all sorts of shades!

yes dharlink i would say we are blond, more a beigey golden browny blond! ;)

Poppy Seed
May 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
I can't wait for there to be plenty of silver in my hair...once I can see plenty of silvers in my roots, then I shall quit dyeing. Until then, however, I'll have to stand by and cheer like Morag - and hopefully I can benefit from your wisdom and experiences when I get there myself....

shelleybean
May 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Count me in too! I'm letting it grow it's own way. I'm not sure if it will go gray as I age. Both my parents have just a bit of white hairs around the ears so it may not do much.

I like leaving it as is. I've got the Scandinavian blonde? brown? depending on the season hair too. I even find a black hair in there on occasion. :)

Cinnamon Hair
May 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm 100&#37; natural. I like black and blonde manes (not together), but I'm not prepared for the maintenance required. Never used henna or chemical color and the only time I changed texture was a few perms in elementary school which are long gone.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
I'm 100% natural. I like black and blonde manes (not together), but I'm not prepared for the maintenance required. Never used henna or chemical color and the only time I changed texture was a few perms in elementary school which are long gone.

I think my last perm was about 20 years ago, so I can say with some certainty that it's gone now. I did some colors, bleaching, and henna in the past too but none remains, and I'm not the least bit tempted to do it again. (for everything there is a season ... I've passed through those seasons)

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
I like leaving it as is. I've got the Scandinavian blonde? brown? depending on the season hair too. I even find a black hair in there on occasion. :)

Your blonde looks quite a bit lighter than mine, judging by your photo album. It's so beautiful, SB. There are no pictures where it looks chocolate or red or anything other than a very beautiful blonde.

justpuggy
May 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
present!

I probably last dyed my hair about 14 years ago and my last perm was probably about 9 years ago. all the hair on my head is unaltered in those ways :)

I have a fair amount of greys coming in on a streak. I wish I had more because maybe the lighter color would make my scalp less noticeable with my thin hair? lol.

shelleybean
May 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Your blonde looks quite a bit lighter than mine, judging by your photo album. It's so beautiful, SB. There are no pictures where it looks chocolate or red or anything other than a very beautiful blonde.

Thank you so much Spidermom. :)

*cough* I am pretty selective with my photos shall we say. There are many many rejects on my computer that show more variation in my color. Maybe I should post a few sometime. :)

Deborah
May 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
I have always been all natural. I can't imagine using dye or henna or cassia or perms or anything like those on my hair. My hair is what it is, always has been, always will be. I can attest that it's definitely the easiest hair care available! :flower:

Sofoulee
May 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
I'm right there with you!

I haven't dyed my hair in over 2 years... a fact I'm quite proud of. I baby it, watch out for anything that might damage it... I'm a little obsessed, but hey.. aren't we all??? hahaha

Unnamed
May 23rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm not quite sure I can qualify, but I'm sorta in here, I suppose? I do still have quite a bit of (black) dye (last used ~3.5 years ago), and I am still occasionally trying to fade it (and I may eventually remove it--with, yes, chemicals, but it'd only be on that hair). :oops:

My 'goal' has been terminal length, natural colour for a while, though, and is probably the biggest reason behind having stopped the dye. Basically I didn't want to get to terminal length and then start growing it out. I also don't have intentions of colouring whenever I'd get greys (or silver/white), although that likely won't be for another 20-25 years.

I do wonder if I could get some sun highlights, though! I'm curious what colour it'd actually be if it got a 'normal' amount of sunlight. Might like the colour better, too! No, I do not like my hair colour...whatever it is (another with that Scandinavian not-brown, not-blonde colour!), and not liking it is why my hair got dyed to begin with! And it'd probably be more natural than my 'rarely sees sunlight' hair, too, in a way. :lol:

Teilani
May 23rd, 2008, 01:33 AM

As another with the type of hair you describe (save a very good chance of becoming mostly grey or white in about two and a half or three more decades, it is easy for me to join this bandwagon.

Though I'm not sure I aspire to the terminal lengths some here are seeking and achieving, I love the way my hair changes with the seasons, and the evidence of it that accrues. I have tried dying it twice as a young teenager, and repented quickly. Too much dye was needed, maintaining the roots was not anything I wanted to do, and it was doubly silly because I was dying my dark blonde hair a light brown. Hardly a change worth the efforts!

Riot Crrl
May 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
LOL I started going grey when I was three years younger than the both of you are now. :)

-Just a cheerleader (henna head)

Katze
May 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM
It's interesting to see how the question of color keeps coming up for us "hair colored" hair (I prefer puma colored to liver paste colored! The puma is beautiful, and her coat blends with her surroundings!). For me, because my eyes change color and I accepted them long ago as unique and beautiful, I'm trying to convince myself that my changing hair color, the fact that I have blonde eyebrows, etc, is also unique.

Looking at all the women here in northern Germany who seem to have a similar hair color, but bleach it, I feel even more special allowing my light ash brown/dark gold/whatever the heck color it is to finally show. I started bleaching when I was 14, because my older cousins were doing it. I really miss being blonde, and long for long, thick, blonde hair, but I would rather have long than blonde. Just need to keep reminding myself of this.

Spidermom, Aisling, others..as long as I can see pics of your hair I feel much better about letting mine go natural.

LilyMunster
May 23rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Last hair dye was 1999. So yup, aside from trims for a few racers.:cool:

Rosamaria
May 23rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Never dyed my hair yet, and don't ever intend to, so I'm with you on this path Spidermom :)

You can't see it from my photo but the greys are increasing every day and when I put my hair up I show what my husband calls lovely 'go faster stripes'!

I'm just going to let my hair do its own thing and apreciate the natural silver highlights God gave me!

Medvssa
May 23rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
As a teenager/twenties I dyed my hair every possible color. I'm tired of this now.
I do miss the condition henna gave me though, which was remarkably good. But the moment I spotted a few white hairs, I stopped using it. I didn't use color to try and look like what I am not, but for fun or as a rebellion (when I was younger) I also have the ashy syndrome, my hair is darker than yours ashy blondes, but still quite ashy. I've found this boring and added a warmer hue with dyes. But I've accepted my natural color now.

Once I had whites, I felt like I was hiding them, and I don't want to hide them! they gave me the perfect excuse to go natural. But I miss the condition henna gave me...

My potential use of cassia may take me from this club, but I feel that cassia isn't much different from something like coconut oil in it's consequences down the road, so I'm thinking that's okay...

...so I'm trying cassia too. If I can still be part of the club using cassia, then I'm in :D so far cassia is not giving me the same sort of condition henna gave me (I've used it twice) I'll use up all the cassia I bought, and after that if I don't see any results I will stop. I add a very little amount of henna to it, but it is not changing my color at all.

I also won't get any fancy cuts, if only because with my curly hair cannot do. And I don't like them. Cannot vow not to cut though, because I've had very heavy sheddings in the past and then I cut it. Having such a thin braid depresses me and I cannot deal with it.

Hypnotica
May 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
I don't think I ever will accept my natural haircolour. It eas so much nicer when I was a young girl, now it's just... blah...
I'm not very pigment-y at all and that makes my hair looks non-existant in it's natural state.

Liv
May 23rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
Count me in too. I stopped dying my hair last year, cut off the dyed hair a month ago, and will not colour it again. My hair grows, and I will let it grow to a lenght that is suitable for both my hair and me.

It's very easy to care for now, a drop of shampoo now and then, thats all I need to clean it. A few drops of oil and some aloe vera gel and my hair is styled; meaning tryed to calm down. I do not have frizzies, my hair is soft, no split ends, lots of curls and waves. Since it's coarse and curly/wavy it has no style but it's own, and a lot of people think it looks beautiful. I have to admit I love the colour too, it compliments my skin 100&#37;.

Like some say, it can look a bit dull sometimes, but when it doesn't look dull it looks great. All I have to do to change it from dull to great is find some good lighting.

A lot of people think I should colour my hair since they think I look older with my natural colour (grey, white and light brown). I hear what they say, I understand why they say it, but I don't mind looking old. I do not want to look young, I take pride in beeing old, that's what I am supposed to be - old and good looking. :) Beeing young is not an option - why would I want to be that? I didn't want to look like a 10-year old when I was 20, why would I want to look like I'm 20 when I'm 42?

Oh, and for you that have blond/brown hair that "has no colour" - that is one the most beautiful colours on hair. It's subtle, it looks like fair wood, and if you look closely you will find a million of colours weaved together. My son has that colour, and I like to look at it under different lighting, it changes all the time - like a chameleon. It's elegant and understated, it's aware of it's beauty - it doesn't have to shout it out. That's what I see when I see that kind of colour.

ETA: I can't spell

Medvssa
May 23rd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Beeing young is not an option - why would I want to be that? I didn't want to look like a 10-year old when I was 20, why would I want to look like I'm 20 when I'm 42?

Well said!

spidermom
May 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Oh, and for you that have blond/brown hair that "has no colour" - that is one the most beautiful colours on hair. It's subbtle, it looks like fair wood, and if you look closely you will find a million of colours weaved together. My son has that colour, and I like to look at it under different lighting, it changes all the time - like a cameleon. It's elegant and understated, it's aware of it's beauty - it doesn't have to shout it out. That's what I see when I see that kind of colour.

Such a beautiful description; I thank you for it. I have a niece who had what is often called "mousey" brown, and "blah", but I just loved it. Along with the brown and the ashy gray cast, there were sparks of violet, lavender, blonde, pink ... It could be many colors, depending on the light. (unfortunately she bleached it out, then dyed it sort of a burgandy color)

Hypnotica
May 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Oh, and for you that have blond/brown hair that "has no colour" - that is one the most beautiful colours on hair. It's subbtle, it looks like fair wood, and if you look closely you will find a million of colours weaved together. My son has that colour, and I like to look at it under different lighting, it changes all the time - like a cameleon. It's elegant and understated, it's aware of it's beauty - it doesn't have to shout it out. That's what I see when I see that kind of colour.

This is probably true - but it's not me. It's hard to explain, but I am a red-head (I had red hair in my youth). My complextion is a red-headed complextion. My personality is red.

Chatch what I mean? I'm not trying to draw attention to myself, I'm sure as heck not trying to look younger - I just feel like me with red hair.

Buddaphlyy
May 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Sometimes I go back and forth, but I think that the long haul natural way is for me. I really just want LONG hair, not stylish hair, not colored hair or anything else. Hence the reason I stock up on conditioner and leave-in. I don't really need much else.

lora410
May 23rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I'm in. I made the mistake of coloring my hair last year around oct, and have made myself a promise to leave it alone and grow out the color. So far I have naturally lightened it with honey and baby shampoo to where it blends in better.

LaurelSpring
May 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I am still babysteeping my way to getting use to my grays. I am transitioning from henna to cassia. I've come a long way from the box stuff. Here is a good sign... I have been watching my Sex and the city Dvds gearing up for the movie release and realized that my favorite hair now is ... MAGDA!

Xandergrammy
May 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
I'm right there with you, spidermom! I'm enjoying this journey and am curious to see how my hair changes over time.

KaeleyAnne
May 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I'm a chameleon as well - blond people call me blond, brown-haired people say that I have light brown hair, and in certain lights my hair appears red (signature photo) or has red highlights. My hair was blond when I was really young, but it gradually changed over the years.

Periwinkle
May 23rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
That's me. I've never dyed or coloured or permed my hair and I intend for it to stay that way, just longer.

SugarBabydoll
May 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
I am! But I do get urges to bleach and to colour it even though I actually like my natural haircolour but just letting it grow can sometimes get so boring. I know it will be worth it though when I have long, wavy, virgin, light blonde, healthy hair with fairytale ends. It just seems to take forever.

Oh and I love the fact that my hair has gone slightly darker and more ashy during pregnancy, the top of my hair is as light blonde as ever but underneath it's a bit darker and it makes it look more like real hair and less like bleach blonde hair.

Indigo Girl
May 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm a chameleon as well - blond people call me blond, brown-haired people say that I have light brown hair, and in certain lights my hair appears red (signature photo) or has red highlights.

Another chameleon here - I get the same thing. If I ask ten different people what color my hair is, I'll get ten different answers.

There was a boy in my elementary school that used to tease me (every.single.day.) by calling me Rainbow Brite - because of the different shades in my hair.

SurprisingWoman
May 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I have had a great time since letting my hair go natural.

I will do trims when needed but that's it.

I wish I had gone natural long before I did. I have a few stripes but I think I missed the biggest striped period by coloring. Dang.

Xandergrammy
May 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I am! But I do get urges to bleach and to colour it even though I actually like my natural haircolour but just letting it grow can sometimes get so boring. I know it will be worth it though when I have long, wavy, virgin, light blonde, healthy hair with fairytale ends. It just seems to take forever.

Sure it can get boring- that's why we all love HAIR TOYS so much!! :joy:

darkwaves
May 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
No dyes, perms, or hennas for me -- but my hair isn't completely natural, as the ends are dyed. (Last colour = summer05).

I'm growing as long as it goes, too, and maybe by then, those damaged dyed bits will have been shed.

I don't have anything against dyes, perms, etc., on other people. I just want to see and enjoy my own hair in the way it naturally wants to be. Whatever that may be -- which is part of the adventure!

Deborah
May 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
There is an old song called

"I Dream of Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair"

Clearly this songwriter thought that light brown/dark blonde hair was an asset to the young woman he described, not something to regret or consider unattractive. He particularly liked her hair color, and drew attention to it as the first item of her beauty and charm.

Perhaps women of today just need a better mind-set, not different hair. Your soft colored hair is already lovely, and needs no change to 'improve' it! :flower:

Islandgrrl
May 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
I reserve the right to the occasional henna gloss, though, if I can't handle the gray quite yet.

I can commit right now to 6 months without doing ANYTHING to my hair.

Then, if I can't deak with the gray, I will resume henna. :)

spidermom
May 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Yippee! We're not a tiny, puny group any more. I was really beginning to think I was one of about a baker's dozen growing with no added color or chemical processing.

Some of you are more purist than me. I usually choose a natural, organic shampoo/conditioner, but I don't have a set policy against SLS, ALS, cones, etc. Sometimes it's convenient to use them, and I do. I also see a hair stylist, who keeps my ends trimmed to stay thicker and in my chosen U-shape. I know for some, that's not natural. (I prune my fruit trees, too.)

DaveDecker
May 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
There is an old song called

"I Dream of Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair"

Clearly this songwriter thought that light brown/dark blonde hair was an asset to the young woman he described, not something to regret or consider unattractive. He particularly liked her hair color, and drew attention to it as the first item of her beauty and charm.

Perhaps women of today just need a better mind-set, not different hair. Your soft colored hair is already lovely, and needs no change to 'improve' it! :flower:

Of course you are 100% right Deborah, but the business entities that make and market products and services to change your hair will not tolerate this enlightened perspective, and will spend much money on advertising and promotion to ensure that you do not embrace it.

Not being a downer folks -- just telling it like it is.

Liv
May 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Hypnotica

I hear you, and I respect your opinions and decisions. It's your hair, you can do what you want with it, and I bet you look great with red hair.

You have your own reasons for hennaing you hair red, and it's not my place to say why you dye your hair. You, and you alone can speak your voice.:flower:

magicatt
May 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
I wanted to jump in and join this group. I have virgin hair at nearly hip length. I do not want to change its color or texture (not that I felt the same way in my teens, but that was a long time ago.) I lost all of my hair due to medical treatment in 2002 and this hair is my new hair. I don't want to do anything to risk it ever. This hair is a gift and it is so pretty. I feel blessed every time I look at it, touch it or feel it touching me.

I love my silvers too. For my birthday last year, I realized that I had an actual grey streak. I've always wanted one of those, so I was really thrilled. (You should have seen my relatives when I told them about how happy I was to have it. LOL) My greys are coming in wavy and coarser. I wonder what will happen as my hair becomes more grey. Sadly, I think it will take until I'm in my 70's to get the pure white hair of my dreams. My older relatives seem to be holding on to at least some of their color until about then.

I also wanted to say that I have chameleon hair. My hair was blond as a child and got darker as I aged but it can look red, dark blond/light brown or even dark brown these days. I have the chameleon eyes too. They range from grey to blue to green to aqua.

SugarBabydoll
May 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Sure it can get boring- that's why we all love HAIR TOYS so much!! :joy:

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong? I don't have any hair toys :p
And I'm really bad at updos. Maybe I should get some flexi-8's so I can practise? :D

kmouse43
May 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I am definitely in! Long and natural, grey and all!

Xandergrammy
May 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong? I don't have any hair toys :p
And I'm really bad at updos. Maybe I should get some flexi-8's so I can practise? :D

Well, darlin', you must get some flexi-8's then. I'm still really bad at updos, but with different pretty clips and things, my hair always looks interesting (and always matches my outfit!)

Stacy_E
May 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I'm with you Spidermom! I just saw this thread!

I colored over my grays throughout my 30's, then 2 years ago I said, enough! I plan to never again color over my hair or process it again. I am proudly embracing my natural faded--er, silvery --blonde color.

I'm currently at BSL and want to grow to at least waist, doing tiny trims every 3 months to even out the hemline and gradually trim away the color treated hair and the layers.

Teilani
May 23rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
LOL I started going grey when I was three years younger than the both of you are now. :)

-Just a cheerleader (henna head)

Given the family history, I'm already on track for doing well. My maternal grandmother went fully white within the first year of her marriage (at 21) to a widower with two children. My mother and aunts began finding significant amounts of grey or white in their hair by their mid twenties. On my father's side, one's hair doesn't begin changing till one's late fifties. *crosses fingers and hopes*

Naluin
May 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I'd like to be on this path, I really would, but I'm not quite there yet. Maybe that's due to my current length. At longer lengths, I might find it easier to resist the urge to do things to it. That will be a happy time!

Irishred
May 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Put had up!

Memememememe

All natural here. I did a casia treatment once but as it leaves no color not sure that counts. Natural colo, natural greys, hate perms, and going for length with regular trims to keep it healthy.

We could start a social group for this. I think there are more of us than we realize.

Morag
May 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Cheerleaders are most welcome. I'm just curious how many are going it completely natural, like me. There have been so many changing the color/cutting/perming threads lately; I was feeling rather marginalized (but better now; I'm not alone).

I would guess that there are a lot of us out there, but I suppose it is hard to start a "this week I left my hair alone!" thread, as much as we love our hair. ;)

I love this, DecafJane! From this day on, I will think of this as the "I left my hair alone today" thread! :rolling:

So, Spidermom, I see that there are lots and lots of posts here. I guess you weren't the only one feeling a bit ignored. What a great idea for a support thread! :cheer:

spidermom
May 24th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Yup ... left my hair alone again today. I should wash it, though. Maybe later.

Leisa
May 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm in! :)

ysmalan
May 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Count me in, too!

I'm at tailbone length currently and I want to see how long it gets... without any dying or anything. I will do trims when necessary though, and I did a Cassia treatment once... perhaps will try that again, too.

Apart from things like that, my hair has always been completely natural... I've always been too lazy for anything else. :silly: And now I wouldn't want it any other way...

kuwati
May 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I don't color or process, either. I've never had color on my hair, ever. The last time I relaxed my hair was a decade or two ago, and I don't miss that at all. Occassionally (few times a year?) I would get a blowout for smooth, straight hair. I got seduced by flat-ironing several years ago, and I will never go back. Damage is permanent, and not pretty.

Do I daydream about any of the above? Not anymore. I love my hair, greys and all. I love that it is all natural. I do suffer from what others mentioned, that of fragile strands that snap. Most of my daydreaming happens when I visit this site and read of how strong henna made one's hair. I get to thinking, maybe it would help my hair grow. Then I have to remember about my greys, and how my color would change, and how I'd have a demarcation line. Don't want that!

I agree that accepting yourself as you are is part of the process. Not just hair or physical attributes, but also where you are in life, and what your past experiences have been. I have so much appreciation for all the blessings in my life. My hair has now become part of that.

*slightly OT* I wish cassia had worked for me. Just didn't seem to do much of anything, and too much of a hassle for no effect. Glad some of you get something good out of it.

Blueneko
May 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I am in! I am all virgin hair right now. I have spotted about a half dozen of thick, wavy, greys, and they are here to stay!

Hip hip hooray for a la natural!

Amara
May 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I started growing out my natural color a year ago this month! I've got henna on the length, and from several years back on the last 5+ inches has been all manner of color. I realized I had NO idea what my natural color was, since for more than a decade I've been coloring it. Now I see, it is an ashy dark brown with some lighter brown hairs... I was evening wondering if I might have some greys - but not yet (I like them, I was kind of disappointed :D). Anyway, I'm enjoying seeing my natural brown and I'll like seeing more of it in the future. The only thing I'm still doing is coloring a streak of red in my bangs and a small blue streak on my temple.

LaurelSpring
June 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I caved. I hennaed this weekend (full whole head straight henna). I was feeling frumpy and the gray wasnt helping. I know I am only postpoing the inevitable because eventually the gray new growth will get too much for me and I really want to transtion into it gradually. Back to square one... but for now it looks beautiful!

truepeacenik
June 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM
Spidermom, I live this path.

have for a decade since the final perm.

Toadstool
June 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
I'm in. although I only have one and a half to two inches of undyed roots so far! However I'm loving the grey/white streaks- like snow on the top of my head.:)

the business entities that make and market products and services to change your hair will not tolerate this enlightened perspective, and will spend much money on advertising and promotion to ensure that you do not embrace it.

Not being a downer folks -- just telling it like it is.

I agree, Dave, I was thinking earlier this week that if I accepted myself and was happy with my clothes, hair and body then what would I spend my money on?:confused: That gave me real pause for thought and kind of sums the whole thing up for me...

ole gray mare
June 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Yes, you know I'm on this path. The path of least resistance. :)

Mitzy
June 2nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
I do solemnly swear to never use conventional chemical hair color or other hair-altering substances on my hair ever again. And I do solemnly swear to embrace the texture of my hair and allow it to grow freely until it decides it's found terminal length. I will not cut my hair in any way to alter the style of it, but will trim minimally as necessary to preserve its health and integrity.

Well, is that the oath?
LOL, I would like to join in. I kind of need to, as I am having issues with the cone sensitivity again and coloring only makes it worse, as I then have to use a cone shampoo to keep the color from going brassy.
I don't trim much, don't really need it on my ends, which are my natural black/brown color, but I get frizzy on my top layers and have been having them trimmed. I also like my bangs/fringe and will probably keep that. Letting the layers grow now, so trying to find other ways to deal with the frizzies. The longer it gets the easier it is, though, I have to say.
I don't mind my gray, I just hate the growing out period and that transition from natural to the colored part. I mostly have highlights, really blonde highlights. I might do some henna or a natural dye to cover that eventually, but I don't want to right now.
I want to get off the color merry go round, actually. The upkeep is awful now that my hair is a bit longer and I hate the way I have to fight to keep the stylist from "just thinning it out a bit to make it more manageable". I thought thick hair was good?
Anyway, I don't feel like I can join it wholeheartedly right now, but I think I am getting there. I guess it's a process. I will be a cheerleader for a bit, okay?
I might go back to Morocco Method. That was good, if expensive, there for awhile.

ReadingRenee
June 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
oh Im in! That is why I have about 3 -4 inches of roots on my head while I grow out my Henna. I love seeing my natural color come back in, I just don't feel like "me" when my hair is a different color. So sometimes that is fun but after about a month, I start missing my natural color.

I was a DYE junkie back in my 20's and dyed my hair every 3 months at least. I finally grew my hair out completely virgin last year and then Henna'ed it in September of last year. It was fun for a couple months and then I was back to missing my own hair color. (when will I learn?)

So here I am in June of 08 with some natural hair and a few silvers and RED. But I love my hair so Im going to go all the way. hopefully now Ive gotten everything out of my system. :)

atlantaz3
June 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
I tried - really to have virgin hair and made it about three years. I cut off all the bad to really short. I just didn't like my natural hair color after having lighter hair for so many years. Now I'm slowly getting used to darker - my last highlight was August 07. I think if I can just get some sun streaks in naturally rather than highlight I may be able to survive.
But I applaud all of you who are on this path.

galen
June 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Count me in.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hi kindred spirits! I haven't done anything different to my hair again.

Well, actually, I did get it trimmed on Saturday. My ends are so thick and smooth and fabulous.

I contemplated dyeing it devil's butt red so that I can see how long it takes before the dye completely disappears (grows out and sheds out). Then I'd know that I had all new (relatively) hair. Thankfully, my good sense held out.

I really am curious, though. How long will it take before every hair that is on my head right now sheds out and is replaced by all new hairs? 8 years? 10? 12? 5? Some of you who are on the natural path after dyeing or hennaing, how long have you been doing this? Is anybody seeing the dye/henna thin out to nearly nothing as time goes on?

Altocumulus
June 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm curious about that too. I last hennaed in December...we'll see when it's finally gone! I plan to trim enough to keep my hemline fairly blunt, so I'll be trimming old henna off as well.

ETA laughing out loud at "devil's butt red"!

Euphony
June 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I contemplated dyeing it devil's butt red so that I can see how long it takes before the dye completely disappears (grows out and sheds out). Then I'd know that I had all new (relatively) hair. Thankfully, my good sense held out.

I really am curious, though. How long will it take before every hair that is on my head right now sheds out and is replaced by all new hairs? 8 years? 10? 12? 5? Some of you who are on the natural path after dyeing or hennaing, how long have you been doing this? Is anybody seeing the dye/henna thin out to nearly nothing as time goes on?
That is such an interesting idea! How long ago was your henna spidermom, I just can't remember. Did yours fade too much or are you able to see new growth next to henna?

Whenever I get more grays and stop using henna I'll definitely be paying attention to this especially since I'll be letting my hair grow with the henna on it. It will be very interesting to see the results.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I know that all my henna was cut out long ago. My longest hairs were only about 5-6 inches in length when I henna'ed. I've trimmed a lot since then. In fact, I had 5 inches cut off all at once when my hair got to be nearly waist length the first time. But since I only henna'ed once, the color also faded and blended out to a point where I could no longer tell where the henna ended and the natural color began (well, vice versa, actually). Now that I'm just growing and growing with only teeny trims, my thoughts have turned toward "how long does it take to get a completely new head of hair due to the shed/regrow process?"

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM

Keep an eye on my hair, spidermom. It's been almost exactly 2 years since I stopped coloring and for me it's fun to see how my natural color keeps creeping down. And I don't trim at all.

P.S. I just started an album that shows my hair every few months since I stopped dyeing. Here's the link if anyone wants to take a peek

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1175

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Xandergrammy! Yes! You're here for the long haul; I should have thought of you. Let's see, I believe that unnamed is another person who quit dyeing and isn't trimming it away; I wonder how long it's been.

Altocumulus
June 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Also AJoifulNoise...

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Xandergrammy! Yes! You're here for the long haul; I should have thought of you. Let's see, I believe that unnamed is another person who quit dyeing and isn't trimming it away; I wonder how long it's been.

I think unnamed stopped coloring before I did. Now I have to go check!!

Mid October 2004 was the last time unnamed dyed her hair, so it's 3-1/2 years for her (unnamed, we'll be watching you too! :grin: )

doodlesmart
June 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
I'm in too. I use cassia about every three months for conditioning, but it doesn't change my hair color at all. As soon as I see grays coming in, I plan to stop with the cassia.

I have about an inch and a half left of some highlights I had put in way back in high school. Though, I don't think they can be seen except on an individual strand. I trim them out as I see them while S&Ding now. At some point I will do a big 2" trim and be done with them, but I'm not ready for that yet.

My summer highlights are just starting to come in. I was tempted by henna there for a while, but ultimately decided that while red is gorgeous, it's just not for me. My hair is mousey and dull at best as far as color goes, but it's mine and I'm going to learn to like it.

Cloverleaf
June 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
No, Spidermom, you're not alone. I stopped coloring about two and a half years ago, and I'm looking forward to finally growing out all the damage - sticking with natural. I'm starting to see a few grays around the edges, but that doesn't bother me at all! Count me in.

*BelievingAgain
June 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hello! I think I'm ready to join this club too! :D

I've been away from this wonderful place for a while now, grappling over which path to take: the 'salon' way, with lots of foils to create 'interest' and 'texture', expensive upkeep and products...or the TLHC way, with plenty of love, care and most of all, acceptance for my natural colour and texture. And a healthy encouragement for hair toys of all shapes and sizes!!!!!! :cheese:

So I feel I'm ready to walk this path with you all, sharing and learning and making great friends along the way. The hardest thing I have to come to terms with is how slowly the path must be walked (I'm starting out here with hair that juuuust gets into a clip, with the help of about ten bobby pins, and only about a millimeter of natural colour coming through!!), but I guess that just gives us more time to talk and learn and laugh!

I'm looking forward to the journey!
Jess :flower:

Speedbump
June 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
I am definitely on the same hair path. I have never colored my hair and I can pretty safely say I never will. I have never done much of anything to it actually in terms of the serious manipulation type stuff. So yeah, the "natural till you drop" path is likely mine as well. :lol:

Marysmirth
June 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'm in too, Spidermom. Your beautiful hair is inspiring to me, with my almost 6 inches of out-growth. I got off the dye-go-round almost a year ago. I see my natural color and love it and the freedom of not coloring it anymore.

AJoifulNoise
June 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM

Also AJoifulNoise...

Yep, I'm doing this at the moment. It's been almost 3 years since I last dyed and cut my hair. The dyed part is thinning a bit. But, there are also natural colored strands in amongst the dyed ones.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Yep, I'm doing this at the moment. It's been almost 3 years since I last dyed and cut my hair. The dyed part is thinning a bit. But, there are also natural colored strands in amongst the dyed ones.

Oh how very cool.

Leisa
June 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi kindred spirits! I haven't done anything different to my hair again.

Well, actually, I did get it trimmed on Saturday. My ends are so thick and smooth and fabulous.

Hi Spidermom:) You know the saying - cool minds prevail.

I'm glad you didn't go red. You know, I figure you for a low maintenance gal, and if you dye your hair, you'll have constant up-keep or two toned hair. Is that what you really want?

Your natural color is great! Fabulous!

meliora
June 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I am joining. I cut off the dye on May 7th, now I am growing natural hair.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
[quote=Leisa;131625]Hi Spidermom:) You know the saying - cool minds prevail.

I'm glad you didn't go red. You know, I figure you for a low maintenance gal, and if you dye your hair, you'll have constant up-keep or two toned hair. Is that what you really want?
quote]

No, I just want to know how long it would take me to completely replace every hair on my head through the natural shed and regrow cycle. But that's o.k. I'll just watch Xandergrammy and see how long it takes for her dye to have shed out so much that it's gone and figure that would apply to me too, especially if my hair ends up about the same length as hers at terminal.

Leisa
June 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
No, I just want to know how long it would take me to completely replace every hair on my head through the natural shed and regrow cycle. But that's o.k. I'll just watch Xandergrammy and see how long it takes for her dye to have shed out so much that it's gone and figure that would apply to me too, especially if my hair ends up about the same length as hers at terminal.

If you are just growing hair for experimental purpose then go for it.:)

I'm growing my hair for length and quality so that wouldn't make sense to me.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
If you are just growing hair for experimental purpose then go for it.:)

I'm growing my hair for length and quality so that wouldn't make sense to me.

I'm growing mine for length and quality, too, as well as personal enjoyment, when you get right down to the real nitty-gritty. (so I'll watch others who do my experimenting)

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM

I didn't realize that it has been so long for you, AJoifulNoise! I'll be watching you, too!!

TammySue
June 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Spidermom, your hair is looking fabulous!

I haven't dyed my hair since 2002.

loves2spin
June 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I am so happy to find this thread! :joy: This is my plan, too. Just take really good care of my hair and let it grow as long as it can as long as I live. I've come a long way already and it is so fun to be able to put it up. I've often wished I would one day be one of those long-haired older women with gray hair. I do have some gray now. I'll just have to wait and see what happens, but I have no intention of ever coloring it. The last time I did that was in 1968.

LadyMoon11
June 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hello!
Well, I am veering onto your path.

I ADORE henna, and I love the color of my hair with henna. However, I am ready to go back to my natural color for several reasons.
Currently everything about my hair is natural, but the color is enhanced with henna.

This is a hard decision for me since I really love the henna color. It does suit me, and it is a traffic stopping color.
BUT, I would like some time to enjoy my natural color for a while before I get grays. Once I do get grays, I want to see the change and I look forward to having natural, long partially gray, mostly gray and then- HOPEFULLY- silver hair someday. :cloud9:
Before turning to henna, I had chemically colored and/or henna indigoed my hair since the age of 18. Platinum, black, Devils' Butt red (thanks, Spidermom), purple, etc. So I have only seen glimpses of my natural hair color since then. I know it is a warm, bronzey blonde, :shrug: and I think it is still pretty light, judging by the frequency of needed henna applications.

I have already begun trying to lift some of the henna from my hair. I have had minimal, but some success. Actually more than I thought I would, considering i have been using henna for so long. I am not willing at this point to do any damage to my hair in order to get rid of the henna, so if I have any lifting/fading, it will be mild.

It will certainly be interesting to watch the transition of my henna red to natural some-kind-a-blonde.

spidermom
June 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Peace be the journey, LadyMoon11.

boukje
June 8th, 2008, 01:58 AM
what a great thread Spidermom, please do count me in.

I have hennaed hair, but I will NEVER EVER colour it again. I liked it for a while, but I am not trying to live 'more natural' (in many different ways) which includes me embracing everything about me in it's natural way (except for waxing which I cannot stop doin hehe). So I plan to grow my hair out to it's natural colour. Unfortunately it will take forever as my hair is a few inches (maybe 2.5-3) past tailbone and I have a bout 3/4 of virgin colour roots.

But that doens't matter, I will be here on the long run with you!

granitbaby
June 8th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Since giving up henna in 2007 I have realised that my hair is pefect just the way it is. No henna or chemichal colours will ever touch it again.

Count me in.

Toadstool
June 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Hello! A confession - I have to now leave this thread as I couldn't stand the two-tone effect any longer and have made an appointment for Wed to have all my hair dyed one colour.

LadyMoon11
June 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Peace be the journey, LadyMoon11.
Thank you. :)
I am excited, really. It will be a good, gradual change, and I am looking forward to embracing my hair in its totally natural state. I will miss the henna, but I have had many years to enjoy many colors of hair, and now it is time to enjoy my own colors. For the other benefits of henna, I can use cassia.

spidermom
June 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hello! A confession - I have to now leave this thread as I couldn't stand the two-tone effect any longer and have made an appointment for Wed to have all my hair dyed one colour.

Uh-oh; there goes the "leave it alone" in your signature. Are you dyeing toward your natural color?

Carina
June 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm in spidermom:waving:.I feel like it's about time to stop fighting with my frizzy hair:crush:.It grows very slowly and it feels like I'm never gonna have really long hair:(.I can't help but wondering if I'm doing something wrong:rolleyes:.I have searched a long time for products that makes my hair go va va vooom.But I have not found any product that works in the long run:sad:.But I'm not giving up the search just yet:eyebrows:.

LuXious
June 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Wish I could join, but I'm hendigoed. Really, I've thought of shaving it off and starting over just to grow out my own God-given color. Can't stand the two-toned look. How I envy you.

Toadstool
June 24th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Uh-oh; there goes the "leave it alone" in your signature. Are you dyeing toward your natural color?

no I had a base colour that was my natural colour and then highlights.Apparently this will eventually blend in the grey should I choose to go down that route but for the moment i just feel so much better about myself fitting in with everyone else.Not as brave as i'd hoped...

Duchess of Erat
June 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Count me in Spidermom!
I also have the dark blonde/light brown/hair-coloured hair, besides from a one time experiment with almost white blonde highlights (that didn't suit me and were a pain to comb, no matter how much conditioner I used) and a couple of 'holds for up to 5 washes'-colouring experiments my hair has been natural all my life. I'm curious to see how my grays will look once they start coming in. I haven't cut my hair in a couple of years (not a conscious decision at first, just didn't have the time to go to get it cut) and as long as the ends keep looking ok I probably won't.

AutumnLeaves
June 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Me me me. Though I suspect it will be years before I get to your length!

Xandergrammy
June 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Wish I could join, but I'm hendigoed. Really, I've thought of shaving it off and starting over just to grow out my own God-given color. Can't stand the two-toned look. How I envy you.

Have you given the two-toned look a try? Once you get past a certain point, it's not so bad. Honest. :flower:

Xandergrammy
June 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I'm in spidermom:waving:.I feel like it's about time to stop fighting with my frizzy hair:crush:.It grows very slowly and it feels like I'm never gonna have really long hair:(.I can't help but wondering if I'm doing something wrong:rolleyes:.I have searched a long time for products that makes my hair go va va vooom.But I have not found any product that works in the long run:sad:.But I'm not giving up the search just yet:eyebrows:.

Carina, your hair looks lovely to me.

Carina
June 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Carina, your hair looks lovely to me.

Thank you so much Xandergrammy.The dryness and frizzies can drive me nuts for less some days:o.

spidermom
June 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I think your hair is pretty, Carina. It will grow. Patience!

Carina
June 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I hear you spidermom.:agree: :whistle:.

purpleorc
June 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
:waving: Count me in spidermom, I have never dyed my hair mainly out of fear of what colour it would turn out. I did go through a phrase in my early 20's of perming my hair. Though no chemicals have touched my hair since the late 1980's. I saw how much damage the perm was doing to my hair and also around this time I stopped using a hair dryer and only air dry now.

I love my hair just as it is grey hairs and all :D Since joining the message boards I know my hair has improved in condition with all the tips especially as I have adopted the cwc hair routine. It feels so soft and silky and nice and shiny.

Kiraela
June 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Count me in as well! I haven't chemical colored (as far as I can remember) since May '06, and never permed, etc. I almost never even used a blowdryer (and haven't done that since last time I dyed, either). My goal is at-least-classic length, virgin hair.

I am, however, planning on maintaining once I reach 36", and cutting out at least a good portion of the bleached hair, though that's mainly for hair health, rather than color.

I may have to revoke my membership, at some point, since I'm considering hennaing, but only the already damaged parts. I figure if I'm going to grow out a wonky color, at least it can be a wonky color that I LIKE, right? But I'm not sure on that, yet.

By the way, you 'hair colored hair' people? I think it's a lovely, wonderful, fascinating color, personally.

willowcandra
June 25th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I'm in with the no chemical thingy but I am not ready to go terminal. I have some issues that need to grow out and then I may consider it but I wouldn't want to go much longer than knee or even classic really. Depends on how my hair is when it's back to it's thickness and 100%virgin.

toodramatik
June 25th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Meeeeeeeeeeeee! even if it is ridiculously short :D

Forest
June 25th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I am joining this group. :-)

I am planning to let my hair grow and not dye it or anything along those lines. Just be kind to it and see what happens is my plan. I haven't added any colour/dye for the last two years now.

spidermom
July 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
So how's it going, everybody? Still doing nothing to your hair?

I had quite a bit of oil in my hair when I washed this morning, so I didn't use any leave in at all. My hair is so soft and spirally today. I'm going to try this for awhile -- give my hair a good oiling before washing, then use no leave-in. I get so frustrated with the way leave-ins (like oil and aloe vera gel) suck all the fluff right out of the air and deposits it into my hair. I think it's all the cling-ons that make my hair tangly and rough-feeling, not something being wrong with my hair in and of itself. Know what I mean?

DecafJane
July 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
My hair is still all-natural, except for when I straightened it yesterday for the second time this year, to see what it the ends looked like (as it hasn't been cut/trimmed since it was ultra-short) and to see if it would add any extra length (it didn't, somehow). :o

Apart from that, I am still using my Alchemy leave-in conditioner and S&C every third day, as well as wearing it up the whole time. It seems to be doing well - I still can't find any splits. (Of course, no hair is more than 9 months old, so I would be unlucky to find any!) :) I'm enjoying not having to colour or anything time-consuming, and am LOVING my up-dos and toys. :D

Altocumulus
July 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Still doing nothing to my hair! My blonde roots are very noticeable now, especially when I do a french braid. The bumps come out blonde/red, blonde/red, blonde/red!

spidermom
July 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Still doing nothing to my hair! My blonde roots are very noticeable now, especially when I do a french braid. The bumps come out blonde/red, blonde/red, blonde/red!

That sounds very pretty! My DD has highlighted and lowlighted hair, and I love how it makes her braids all stripey.

jenna
July 2nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
i'll join in, too.

there have been times i've been fascinated/curious to see what my hair would look like as a different color (henna) but i get too many people telling me not to do anything to it. i've used hair spray on it three times in my life, never ironed it or colored it or permed it or anything. it's pretty virgin.

AJoifulNoise
July 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm still growing natural. After a lot of upheaval and thoughts recently I've been sorely tempted to henna. Being broke has helped me not to. I also don't want to do anything drastic while my life is shifting. Plus, I still really want to accept my natural color.

It would have been nice if I had never colored my hair to being with... It's like Cheez-its. I don't want any until I nibble one. Then I want the whole box!

dorothea-brooke
July 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
It would have been nice if I had never colored my hair to being with... It's like Cheez-its. I don't want any until I nibble one. Then I want the whole box!

Ah, Cheez-Its! Nom nom nom nom. :cheese: Thanks, a lot AJoifulNoise -- now I must have some! :p (Have you tried the White Cheddar?!)

But seriously, I am in on this one, Spidermom et al.!

dorothea

LilyMunster
July 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Keeping on here. Letting it grow. Wash and wear up.

tiny_teesha
July 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Yep i'm still on my way to virgin coloured tresses! I have 19cm of regrowth now - i would have 31cm if my sister would have listened and only dyed the red hair so my natural would blend better. (grr)
Ah well :) Can't WAIT!!!!
I am going to continue putting in colourful streaks with honey, indigo and henna- because my hair is flat and it needs some tonality to it :) And it is fun- but that will only make up a small part of my hair.

Darya
July 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
I just saw this thread. Can I join? Please? With cheese on top? :cheese: :gobblecheese:
I've never dyed my hair and my last perm (in '99) I had chopped off at the roots :silly: I gave up any type of heat styling about the time my hair hit chin length.
Letting it grow and not doing things to it.....
D

JessTheMess
July 3rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
Can I join? I only have 2 inches of virgin hair, but I have been trying to dye back to my original color for years. It is now close enough so I want to leave it alone and let it be. I miss MY hair and I want it back!! I can't wait until it grows all out! It'll take about 3 years to get to all virgin BSL, and at that time I will cut it back and regrow.

VanillaTresses
July 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Sounds good! (Er, yeah in between those love-hate periods!) I will try to fend off the temptations of hair-altering substances...:o

Altocumulus
July 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
That sounds very pretty! My DD has highlighted and lowlighted hair, and I love how it makes her braids all stripey.

It's quite an interesting look! I'll see if I can get a good picture.

Lady Godiva
July 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Dunno how I missed this thread, but spidermom, I've been in this system for over 20 years and don't plan to change that. :grin:

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
I'm in! It's so inexpensive and less of a hassle now that I've embraced the virgin hair. :)

Guenever
July 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Still working on getting back my natural color - I trimmed off 0,8" a few days ago, and even though the roots are only at shoulder it's all progress^^
I've also got the dark blonde/reddish brown color variation in a part of my braid and now also in my buns.. before, they were all red against my natural scalp hair but now the inner coil is natural and surrounded by reddish coils :P

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Still 'wash, wear down, wear up, wear up, repeat' here, too. It's definately cheaper, expecially now that I've discovered my hair likes body wash more than shampoo... Yet another thing cut off the shopping list!

spidermom
July 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Guenever, I just looked at your album, and the interplay of colors in your up-dos is beautiful.

brok3nwings
July 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Guenever i was just about to say what spidermom just did. I really like the combination of your natural and that red wine colour

LaurelSpring
July 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I am still baby stepping to natural. Gradually decreasing the henna in my henna/cassia mix until the henna I have is all gone (about 50 g left). Then I plan on just Cassia once a month for health and shine and well if a little blondeness gets on it thats ok too :rolleyes:

GrowlingTurtlez
July 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
I'm with you! I went through a long period where I was bleaching and coloring my hair all sorts of crazy colors, and putting tons of product in (most of that at the "encouragement" of an ex) but since last Oct. when I buzzed it I'm determined to go natural

skay
July 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM

I'm in.

I had died my hair for years (too many chemicals for my taste) and used henna for a few years (too high maintenance for me).

I've now discovered natural hair can be vibrant and healthy and thus beautiful in itself.

An as you said, it is unique. Especially when left up to mother nature. :)

I'll be sure to post some progress pics when my hair gets longer.

Ndnlady
July 4th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I will join! I am growing out henna and I'm going to embrace my natural color and my natural white hairs!

Florida Mom
July 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I'll join too! Back in January I lightened my virgin hair, and again the first week in April - a week befgre i found LHC. I wish I never dyed it. Anyway, I did try matching my roots - the color faded within a week. So now with only about an inch of virgin growth, and grays popping up, I'm going to try to grow it out. I've also cut in a side swept bang (myself) which I like and am using to grow out my bangs..... we'll see how far that gets!

Firefly
July 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm in!

After spending my twenties and early thirties getting into the addicting highlighting/coloring cycle and blow-frying my hair, I've finally learned to love my hair as it is. I am still growing out dye on the ends, but don't plan to touch it again with any kind of color. I used to really dislike my hair-- fighting with the waves constantly and cursing humid days, the what I perceived to be bland color... but now I love my waves and appreciate being a chameleon-head (I love that term!). Sometimes it's chestnutty (reddish), sometimes bronze (when the summer sun lightens it) and in the dull chill of winter just plain brown. But it's all good. :D When I start graying, I look forward to seeing the natural changes my hair goes through... I can't wait to be silver! I'll be forty this October, and maybe that has something to do with it, but it feels good to be me, just the way I am!

Firefly

Guenever
July 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
spidermom and brok3nwings - thanks so much! :D I'm sick of the weakening/drying effect that the dye left on my hair, but the colors do look cool in updos!^^

Forest
July 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM
My dad has never ever made a comment about my hair (as I remember) but this week he said he liked my hair colour thinking it was not natural. I had to tell him it was all natural and thus partly thanx to his genes! Even my hair dresser said I have a nice colour and that I don't need to colour. That's good encourgement for me to remember if I feel an urge to change.

lady_hero
July 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Count me in, too! My hair's only at shoulder length, but I'm in for the long haul. Grow hairs, grow!

moon-flower
July 9th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'll join too. I've never dyed, used henna, or permed it. That and I haven't cut it since Sept 2002. I enjoy my natural color and the hair I was born with and will hope to keep it natural until the day I die.

LaurelSpring
July 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Well, I had good intentions, but looks like I am in denial about my ability to not put something on my hair. I am just not ready to look at the gray! I can handle the gray being golden highlights from the henna/cassia but I am just not ready to be gray yet so for now I am going to keep using the henna. H4H is offering a new product called buxus that is supposed to give you a light golden brown and I am just too excited about trying it. So for now I will have to just admit that I am not quite ready to go totally natural. Eventually it will catch up with me I guess but then I may just keep hennaing until I cant anymore. I guess time will tell. You guys are such an inspiration.

Anne~
July 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Count me in too. I had my hubby take a pic of my hair last night I cannot believe the grey! Love it!

LaurelSpring
July 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
I am being so totally fickle on this thread. I wonder if anyone else has gone back and forth for awhile before they were totally ready to commit to the gray. I had a good batch of gray going and hennaed my hair last night and now I dont like the henna anymore. Just like that! I think I am done. I am not going to try the new buxus stuff because its just going to prolong the same obvious new growth problem and deposit color.
My new plan of action is to not use anything permanent on my hair. Im going to try some blonde semi non lift stuff to transition and because it will fade out I think it will work better for me until I can get my brain and eyes use to seeing it.

Those that did not cold turkey....did you have a transition plan?

WritingPrincess
July 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
I'll join! I don't have any intention to dye my hair, for any reason, but I reserve the right to change my mind at least once between now and the time I start going gray. :lol:
Except that I have been toying with the idea of dying the last inch of my hair purple before I get my next trim.

Kiraela
July 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Writingprincess: as an aside, DBF has told me about an old friend of his, with classic length, naturally dark brown/black hair. Everyone could tell when she was going to have a trim in about 2 weeks, because she bleached the last inch or so (whatever was to be trimmed) and dyed it bright pink, or purple, or lime, etc. It seems to me that that's a good way of experimenting with 'weird' colored hair, without damaging anything that's not being removed soon anyway :)

truepeacenik
July 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Spidermom, my hair is virgin, aside from a twice yearly NEUTRAL henna. Since that is conditioning and not color, I consider myself on the same path you are.

I'm in it 'til I trip over it too much (nice wiggle room in that statement: what is 'too much?').

My sweetie said he'd take care of it if it came to that. How sweet (and pervy in a f****h sort of way)!

spidermom
July 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Writingprincess: as an aside, DBF has told me about an old friend of his, with classic length, naturally dark brown/black hair. Everyone could tell when she was going to have a trim in about 2 weeks, because she bleached the last inch or so (whatever was to be trimmed) and dyed it bright pink, or purple, or lime, etc. It seems to me that that's a good way of experimenting with 'weird' colored hair, without damaging anything that's not being removed soon anyway :)

That sounds like so much fun! I might steal the idea before next trim.

Speedbump
July 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
So how's it going, everybody? Still doing nothing to your hair?
Still nothing. 35 years and counting! :cheese::p
Although, I will confess, I did brush it out once for that "curlies brush out your hair" thread. I'm not sure that counts, though. :ponder:

BTW, your new sig pic is GORGEOUS. :thud:

goldenwaves
July 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
I'm with you in everything except for letting it grow as long as it wants to! I want hair at about hip-length. But everything else, you bet! Natural rocks!!

Carina
July 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Hello everybody:waving:.My hair is so boring right now.My first goal was bsl and I reached that goal a few months ago.But I don't see any growth at all so it's probably stalling at the moment:slap:.I want to find the joy with long hair again.But I don't know how.:(:confused:.

Martina
July 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
I'm in. The greys are coming in nicely.

feralnature
July 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
spidermom, I am sharing the journey too. I am growing out the dyed hair and will eventually trim it off. My hair is coming in nice and white in the front. My last hair cut was Nov. 07 to remove damage and even it up. I plan on eventually trimming out the layers too :)

walkinglady
July 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm in for the long hall! Might trim my bangs back in though, I really miss them!

Carina
July 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
I miss my highlights.But I think they make my hair way to dry so no highlights for me.I'm going to take a new lengthpic tomorrow to compare where I was in length one year ago.

spidermom
July 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I miss my highlights.But I think they make my hair way to dry so no highlights for me.I'm going to take a new lengthpic tomorrow to compare where I was in length one year ago.

Oh good; I'm looking forward to that. I had highlights in the past, and the bleached hair was so dry that it poofed out more than the rest of my hair. It was truly hideous!

Albrun
July 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I join in two. me two have not brown not blonde color. Long time ago, when I liked short hairs, it wasn't easy to resist the stylists, who always wanted to dye the boring color. But my answer then was: if you can't make the style looking good with my color, the style is not mine.
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/17/2102417/400_3238626363376130.jpg
Is about an year old, now my hair are longer but also straighter.

Albrun

kate46
July 23rd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Well said ALBRUN! I wish I had your wisdom 20 years ago, then I wouldn't be going through the endless pain of growing out two-toned hair but I am getting there :), no more dyes for me, no no no never again!

DecafJane
July 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
Still no dyes or anything, so I'm happy. I just need to bundle it up for a few months and ignore it, this will keep me happy. :)

Carina
July 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have new growth.No more stalling for me:joy:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/Elin-Carina/mammalol-1.jpg December 2007

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/Elin-Carina/DSC00043-1.jpgJuly 2008

Forest
August 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Good for you Carina! :cheese: I wish you continued growth!

I have just started to grow mine (between SL and APL), I'm a little bit envious of those who have come below BSL as you have. :oops:

Xandergrammy
August 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I have new growth.No more stalling for me:joy:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/Elin-Carina/mammalol-1.jpg December 2007

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/Elin-Carina/DSC00043-1.jpgJuly 2008

:joy: Your hair looks great, Carina!

Xandergrammy
August 4th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Good for you Carina! :cheese: I wish you continued growth!

I have just started to grow mine (between SL and APL), I'm a little bit envious of those who have come below BSL as you have. :oops:

Hang in there, Forest! Before you know it, your hair will be longer. No need to be envious- enjoy the journey. :flowers:

Forest
August 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Xandergrammy - you are right, I need to remember to enjoy the growth! :-) Thanks for reminding me.

spidermom
August 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Carina, congratulations! Your hair looks wonderful.

Fia
August 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Yep, I'm in there as well -last time around I was hennaed, this time it's all me. Length - either where it stops or where it feels comfortable to me should that length be shorter. Acceptance has come with age - cliched, but true in my case.

ChatoyantLocks
August 6th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm in! My hair hasn't been cut since 1993, and hasn't had any weird chemical things done to it since around 1988.

stinamoo
August 13th, 2008, 07:05 AM
**deleted**

Silver & Gold
August 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm with ya. I have years to go because my hair is not very long yet. So it will take quite some time before it is strong, long and natural. But I'm on the same path and people like you inspire and encourage me.

justme
November 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM
I'm in!

I had a perm in 1988 and dyed once in 1995, but that's obviously all gone. I think someone used a curling iron on it for my brother's birthday about 10 years ago, but that hair is probably all gone, too.

I love natural colors with all their variations so much, from dark to light and everything in-between. I have from black to light brown and even some almost copper strands. Oh, and the first few sparkly ones, too! I hope to enjoy my greys/whites as they come in.

Except that I have been toying with the idea of dying the last inch of my hair purple before I get my next trim.

I've always thought this was a great idea! I've wanted to do fire-tips, but have no real idea how. Maybe some time when I plan to trim, I will actually try it out.

LutraLutra
November 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM
I'm in too. I'm accepting my hair as it is - my colour, my greys and my waves.

Feng-Shui
November 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM
I`m inside.
My virgin hair is so simple to maintain.

I love it.:love:

Speckla
November 1st, 2008, 08:54 AM
I'm going for 100% hair. Grey, curls, and all.
________
Herb Scales (http://www.vaporshop.com/scales)

rhysiana
November 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Me, me! So far, I've never felt the need to do anything permanently changing to my hair, and I can't see that changing. I like it the way it is (except, you know, it should be longer.)

joyfulmom4
November 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Count me in. I do admit that I love the look of henna'd hair, but I'll never do it myself. I don't want to be saddled with the necessity of keeping up a treatment that needs to be done regularly. No thanks. I like my hair simple and natural. If I choose to spend time on it, I'd like that to be in styling or giving a special pampering, not on maintenance of an artificial color or treatment.

galleth
November 1st, 2008, 11:45 AM
Oh yes, I'm in! :D

I'm finally "clean", after years of colouring, bleaching, blowfrying, straightening.... I had no idea what damage I was doing, I just thought my hair had no weight, and no shine by default.

I thought my natural hair color was mousy brown, but once I stopped torturing it, I realised my natural color was more of a rich dark blonde... Anyway, learned to love my hair the way it is!

SaveTheTapirs
November 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
Count me in, too! I've done enough things to change my hair's color and texture to know that I want MY hair, not somebody's else's. I love my hair's natural highlights and curls/waves. But the best is when someone asks me, "is that your natural color?" or "is your hair naturally curly?" and I can honestly say YES!

sneakybea
November 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
I'm in! I've never colored or permed my hair---not even in the '80s when perms were super popular (my mother said "You don't need it" and I'm glad). I like the look of henna, but it seems too high maintenance for me.

peachy.pudding
November 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yes i am one of those people for sure, i know i have had my thoughts of cutting and trimming as you do, but i am committed to my goal of tbl. I have not coloured my hair either and i have only use heat on it less than ten times in 3 years.

spidermom
November 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
So here we all are, still doing nothing to change our hair. How sweet it is!

Isblå
November 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Count me in! I have never had a perm, never coloured (except 1 day spray on fire engine red for a masquerade), I don't own neither straightener nor hairdryer though I still blowdry once or twice a year to avoid freezing to death if I have been swimming etc. I have the "haircolouredhair" colour and I love it. I think of the colour as golden hair. I will not swear any oaths for the future. I don't know when I will start graying or how I will react. I will also never let my hair get so long that it gets in the way of my life.

It is really nice to have this thread, to see that there are other that keeps their hair the way it grows!

Indigosails
November 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM

I just had to quote what you first wrote, Spidermom. The words are so beautiful and mean so much to me. I also want to be on this path.

HairyCarrie
November 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
When I joined LHC I said I wasn't going to color anymore. Since then I did a temporary color and a mild henna. So much for declarations! I'm too curious by nature, but hopefully it's out of my system and I can get back on the program of leaving my durn hair alone! :o

So count me in ~again~

30isthenewblack
November 4th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Ok count me in ... I haven't coloured my hair since May of this year and I don't blow dry my hair or use straightening irons. I may colour my hair in the future but at the moment, I want to keep on growing it and seeing what the colour and the texture will look like. I have always found in the past that the hair colour and foils made my hair look thicker. All of my crown is now black. My hair is darker than in my avatar as the hairdresser made a mistake so the base colour is very similar to my natural colour but my foils unfortunately are starting to show through as we reach summer in Australia.

Vitalai
November 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I'm in! I have virgin locks, and I don't intend to alter it in any way. When I told my mum that when I grew old I would let my grey hairs grow out naturally, she looked at me as if I were crazy. She dyes her's. Of course, this is the same lady who has a chin-length bob.

Katze
November 4th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Still with you, though the past couple days I have been longing for highlights. It must be the cold, dark, wet season, plus all the brushing and oiling that makes my hair look so dark.

Since becoming pregnant I have grown a lot more baby hairs and a section of these, at my left forehead, are bright, shiny silver! If I part my hair correctly (thanks Spidermom for the tip) I have a beautiful silver streak, like i've always wanted.

I am still convinced that natural is better, even if I do wish my hair were lighter and matched my eyebrows...

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I am told that salt and pepper is very pretty when long, so no dye for me either???

Friesiangirl
November 4th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'll join in on the fun. I only colored my hair, but I have used a blow-fryer a handful of times, and a straightener less than 5. I've used a curling iron once! LOL.

I don't plan on dying anymore, I just want my virgin hair back :)

Hayley

EvaSimone
November 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I'd like to join even though I am a bit of a cheater... more than half of my hair is dyed so I do try to make that match with my roots a bit more. But if I had all virgin hair or even dyed hair that didn't look so strikingly different I wouldn't even bother.

Once I get my hair mostly virgin I don't plan on every dying it again (who knows what will happen when I start seeing silvers though! :lol:)

rhubarbarin
November 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm still in! Slowly trimming off my highlights.. it's been a year and two months now since I last used Sun-In.

spidermom
February 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hello long counters! Still doing pretty much nothing with your hair but nurturing it's natural growth?

Altocumulus
February 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I was just thinking about this thread! Still doing nothing but growing here.

Kiraela
February 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yep, still just growing. Trimming off bleached ends to get back to pure natural, too.

spidermom
February 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Yep, still just growing. Trimming off bleached ends to get back to pure natural, too.

You need a new picture in your album.

spidermom
February 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was just thinking about this thread! Still doing nothing but growing here.

haha- you need a new picture, too. I like to see how everybody is growing along.

rags
February 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Newbie here! Although mine's still short at the moment, I intend to get it long again totally natural. I'm earned every one of these gray hairs!:D

neon-dream
February 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm hopping on board too!!