PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite single hair-stick bun?

Pixna
September 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
What's your favorite bun that can be held with a single hair stick (and nothing else -- no elastics, no pins, etc.)? And do you insert the hair stick horizontally, vertically, or at an angle?

Links (to the bun instructions) and pics (of you wearing the bun with a stick) appreciated!

TinaDenali
September 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I have this one bun that I always do that just uses one hair stick, but I have no idea what it's called. You make your hair into a pony (without an elastic, just hold your hair in a pony) and loop it around your index finger and around your thumb and bring the tail up between the two then stick the fork or stick in it... gosh that sounds so silly, but I really cannot remember for the life of me what it's called. I pretty much use it everyday. :D

slz
September 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
What I thought was a chinese bun (braided) but I found out today that it's not.
Starting with my night braid, I slide the stick just above the braid's root, then coil the braid around. I modified it a bit, pinning the braid with the stick for more stability.
Sometimes I'd use two pins to hold the tassel, but it's not very useful and hurts when the bun slides at then end of the day.

Here's what it looks like :

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2389&pictureid=69572
here with accent braid, a rare occurrence.
The stick (chopstick, in my case) can end up horizontal or at any angle, depending where I pinned it first / how tight I coil the braid.

Pixna
September 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
That sounds like an easy, cool bun, TinaDenali. I wish you had pics or photo instructions!

slz, your bun is GORGEOUS!! WOW!!

Octave
September 5th, 2010, 03:46 PM
For me it must be the Pencil bun, as it's the only bun I can manage so far at this length. I'm getting better and better at it after each try.
Used this video as a guide:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
Oh and I don't really have any sticks yet, so I had to settle with a regular pencil. :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Lunusa/LHC/pencilbun.jpg
(my first hair pic post here :D)

Pixna
September 5th, 2010, 03:53 PM
That's lovely, Octave. That's my favorite bun too (the Pencil Bun).

Rivanariko
September 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM
My default bun I believe is the celtic knot bun with just one stick. I bring my hair into a ponytail, then twist my hand around to create a loop. Pull the remaining hair halfway through the loop, squish it down to my head, and then put he stick in to hold it. It's incredibly secure, holds all day without a problem. I think I might have a picture of it in my albums... not sure though.

masa_inn
September 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Pencil bun.

luluj
September 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM
My favorite, one stick, holds like the dickens bun is the "wrapped hairstick bun." I found the video for this bun at FrannyG's Blogspot. http://frannyslonghair.blogspot.com/
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5611&pictureid=79385

LadyLongLocks
September 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM
One of the few buns that will hold my 60" hair with 1 stick...:) The Lazy Wrap.
Learned about this bun here at LHC and found a Youtube tutorial on it!
I hope to make a tutorial soon on this one.
Fun thread and great idea!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/LazyWrap1stickbun60inchhairc.jpg

jeanniet
September 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Pencil bun. My hair is thick and I have a very hard time with most buns, even though my hair is almost BSL--I can barely do a cinnamon bun. I do the pencil bun by wrapping the hair around one finger, and it holds really well with one horizontal stick. The other bun/twist I do (not sure if it has a name) is done by gathering the hair into a ponytail and twisting it like for a cinnamon bun, but instead of coiling it you turn the twist on itself and then put the stick in horizontally (so it kind of looks like the awareness ribbons). Sorry, that's not a very good description!

Anje
September 5th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Most of my buns are 1-stick buns... I think my favorites are nautilus buns and lazy infinities, but celtic knots and orchid wraps are also great for some variety.

99% of the time, I have the stick horizontal. Much more comfortable for me that way.

apynip
September 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
With my shoulder lenth hair i can do an angled french twist and thats about it... It held up through a nerf gun fight we just ahd on our floor so i think its pretty stable.

TinaDenali
September 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Most of my buns are 1-stick buns... I think my favorites are nautilus buns and lazy infinities, but celtic knots and orchid wraps are also great for some variety.

99% of the time, I have the stick horizontal. Much more comfortable for me that way.

Ok, the bun I do often is similar to the lazy infinity bun, but you don't wrap down and around the thumb, you just wrap it around the thumb - so a circle instead of an infinity sign. But otherwise exactly the same.

So, what's that called? :)

Loreley
September 6th, 2010, 01:11 AM
The cinnamon bun is my favourite but I wear the hypo-bun a lot, too.

Bene
September 6th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I mainly stick to the lazy wrap bun, like the one in my AV. The second stick is just decorative, it holds up solidly with one stick. It's pretty much what I do with all my hair toys (examples in my action shots album). If I want to change it up, or if I'm damp bunning, I'll do a cinnamon bun.

Konstifik
September 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM
The lazy wrap is, well, not my favorite, but the only one I know how to do. :o
I usually insert the stick angled, instead of horizontal as it's more commonly inserted. Why I don't know... I think I like the asymmetrical look more. :)

Monsterkitti
September 6th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I really like a nautilus for a 1 stick updo, I wear it most days like that :)

Night_Kitten
September 6th, 2010, 03:35 AM
My favorite is the lazy wrap bun, I wear it almost exclusively :)
I put the stick horizontally.

I should really learn how to make other buns LOL :D

Phexlyn
September 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I use a hairpin to secure my ends most of the time, but I can get them to hold in some buns only using a hairstick and nothing else (although a two-pronged fork works much better and I don't need the additional hairpin for the ends with the fork).

Buns that work with a single stick: figure8 bun, lazy wrap bun, sometimes celtic knot (slides down a lot if not secured with a second stick/hairpins)

I prefer to insert my hairstick slightly angled or horizontally, except for the figure8 which requires inserting it vertically. ;)

Pixna
September 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Rivanariko, masa_inn, luluj (gorgeous bun shot!), LadyLongLocks (what can I say? your hair is always INCREDIBLE!), jeanniet, Anje, apynip, TinaDenali (I'd love to see a photo of that bun!), Loreley, Bene (lovely avatar bun pic!), Konstifik, Monsterkitti, Night_Kitten, and Phexlyn -- THANK YOU!

Milui Elenath
September 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Another vote for the lazy wrap bun. I love that the stick can slide through with getting stuck and its such a secure bun.

My hairstick is almost always horizontal otherwise they tend to jab me in the neck. If the bun is higher I also like 45 degree. For some reason I rarely go vertical :shrug:

Henrietta
September 6th, 2010, 07:06 AM
A nautilus bun;) (If it holds, depending on a day) it holds with a one stick, put in angle. Also figure 8 bun works this way. I haven't tried the Infinity bun yet.

TrudieCat
September 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Good thread! I've been wondering about this myself. :) I like the pencil bun, although for some reason it stopped working for me about a week ago. :shrug: Must be at a weird length now. Also, I am a huge fan of the wrapped hairstick bun that luluj mentioned - I also learned it from FrannyG's blog. :)

Finally, the bun that holds like a rock with one stick for me these days is a cinna-bee-butt hybrid. I insert the stick right into the center of the bun, pointed outward, and the flip the stick inward when it touches my scalp and push it back through. This makes a weird half-flipped messy bun with my layers jutting out all over the place. I usually have the stick going diagonally through the bun, if that makes sense.

Pixna
September 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks, Milui Elenath (I rarely go vertical either -- it's the stick-in-the-neck syndrome, I think), Henrietta, and TrudieCat!! I'd love to do the wrapped stick, but I think my hair is too thick (or it seemed like it was when I tried it previously). Now that my hair is a bit longer, I'll have to give that a try again. TrudieCat, your cinna-bee-butt hybrid sounds interesting!

eamane
September 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Pencilbun, nautilus and lazy wrap bun holds fairly well, but my favourite bun that holds all day is the hypnobun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q). I can't find a pic of me wearing it though :p I'll try to fix it later :)

SurprisingWoman
September 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I do LadyLongLocks, JJJ's, pretzel bun but instead of pulling the end back all the way through I leave the end in the loop and use a single stick rather than combs. I hope that makes sense.

I could run a marathon with that bun in (haha, yeah, me run a marathon... not!) and it wouldn't move. It is fast, easy and doesn't seem to "pop" hairs as much as some others I have tried.

Pixna
September 6th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Thank you, eamane (I'd love to see a pic of you wearing the hypnobun!) and SurprisingWoman -- I actually think I understand your instructions; it would turn out a bit like a lazy wrap bun (sort of), right? If it's marathon worthy (even if you don't actually run the marathon), that's quite an endorsement.

marikamt
September 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Infinity bun...... held sideways w/ one stick ) Ketylo holds best for me..... will post pics and link latr.

Xi
September 6th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Great thread, Pixna! I've picked up some new styles to try. :)

I often use KarenLynn's knot (I use her variation for longer hair):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=29

rags
September 6th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I usually only use one stick in a Nautilus bun. I'm just now getting to where one stick will sometimes hold a lazy wrap (my favorite bun ever!) but it usually has to be held with a fork. I do both of those horizontally. I never do vertical as my head's kind of small and I end up getting jabbed in the neck. When I use one stick for a cinnabun, I put it in at an angle. I just think it looks better that way.

eamane
September 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Thank you, eamane (I'd love to see a pic of you wearing the hypnobun!) :scissors:
;) Here you go:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/eamane74/hair/IMG_7835red.jpg

Pixna
September 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks, marikamt, Xi, and Rags!!

eamane, that's a lovely shot! Thank you for posting it!

Xi, technically, I should be able to do the KarenLynn Knot, and I appreciate the link! I tried it, but I'm left handed and have trouble inverting directions. I did end up with a really attractive bun that feels good and seems secure, but I don't know what the heck I did and I probably won't be able to replicate it! :laugh:

Jenn of Pence
September 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I like the lazy wrap, but I really have a hard time making it stay.

tinti
September 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I like the lazy wrap but that won't work on me for a while. I love to throw my hair in Solsara's chopstick style though, it's so easy and fun.

CelinaStarr
September 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I like the lazy wrap, but I really have a hard time making it stay.

Me too. I can create one but it just doesn't stay. I have very thick curly hair.

Does anyone have any advice for securing the lazy wrap bun? I use hair sticks. This is my favorite bun so far. If only I could make it stay.

TrudieCat
September 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I just saw this video on another thread, posted by Cleopatra18, and this is really similar to what I do for my cinna-bee-butt hybrid bun. It's the 30-second chopstick bun: video link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRV1VzxdiXU)

Pixna
September 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I saw that too, TrudieCat. For some reason, I can't get it to work for me, though. More practice, I think! :)

TrudieCat
September 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I saw that too, TrudieCat. For some reason, I can't get it to work for me, though. More practice, I think! :)

For me, the key is that last instruction in the video, where she says to pull part of the previously wrapped hair down around the bottom tip of the hairstick. Also, I have to twist my bun to get it to stay, though she says in the video that she doesn't need to twist her hair.

One thing I don't like about this bun is that it doesn't look as pretty to me as other buns. It's usually really messy and fuzzy-looking when I do it, and I like it when buns have a pretty wrapped-around look to them. *Sigh.* My layers thwart me!

Good luck!

Pixna
September 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks, TrudieCat. I still can't get it to work right. Of course, maybe I'm expecting too much of it. I can't "twirl" without twisting, either, and I don't have layers and it still comes out very messy and fuzzy looking. :shrug:

Ravenne
September 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
My go to bun is a cinna-bee-butt thing too. Basically a Bee Butt with only 1.5 coils. :p I may try a pencil bun though. I do like that. I can never get lazy wraps to stay either.

I can't wait till my hair's long enough for a braided cinnabun!!

TrudieCat
September 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks, TrudieCat. I still can't get it to work right. Of course, maybe I'm expecting too much of it. I can't "twirl" without twisting, either, and I don't have layers and it still comes out very messy and fuzzy looking. :shrug:

Hmm, that sounds frustrating. Oh well, hair is mysterious in many ways. :) It always baffles me why certain styles seem to work one day and then not the next, or why I can or can't make styles that seem to work for people with hair that is so similar to mine. :shrug: I hope some of these other ideas work for you!

I am seriously frustrated because I used to be able to make a pencil bun (this is like 2 weeks ago), and now it just won't seem to hold in my hair. I want my pencil bun abilities back!! :justy:

jeanniet
September 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM
My favorite, one stick, holds like the dickens bun is the "wrapped hairstick bun." I found the video for this bun at FrannyG's Blogspot. http://frannyslonghair.blogspot.com/
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5611&pictureid=79385
I went to Franny's site and tried this bun, and it's wonderful! I'm so glad you posted this. The twisted stick bun I'd been doing when my hair was shorter hasn't been working as well since my hair is longer, and Franny's bun works perfectly. Thank you!:hifive:

luluj
September 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I went to Franny's site and tried this bun, and it's wonderful! I'm so glad you posted this. The twisted stick bun I'd been doing when my hair was shorter hasn't been working as well since my hair is longer, and Franny's bun works perfectly. Thank you!:hifive:

Hello jeanniet:waving: It really is a great bun, I wear it everyday, it holds so well! You are very welcome!;)

Masara
September 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
My go-to single stick bun is a lazy wrap. I like to insert the stick vertically or at a 45° angle, especially if there's a topper.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/daily%20wear-%20medium/1June-1.jpg

But my favourite is probably the Chinese bun in all its variations. Here's a braided one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/daily%20wear-%20medium/P1010551-1.jpg

I've managed cinnabuns with just one stick, but I'm never convinced they are going to stay (they always do) Now with slightly longer hair, I've managed an acceptable celtic knot but my KL knots are working less well.
looking at the pics here, I'm going to have to recheck the pencil bun

Pixna
September 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Masara, thank you. You know what a fan I am of all of your buns -- and both of these are incredibly beautiful (as always)! :inlove:

redneckprincess
September 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM
what about buns for shorter (APL) hair?

cmnt831
September 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
The two I've been using most often because they feel secure and don't hurt are the cinnabun and figure-8. Lazy wrap and Celtic knot are not holding well anymore and I can't figure out why.

candlesandfish
September 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the posts here, I've been wanting to wear my hair up more often but haven't really known how to do it any way that was reasonably simple for everyday :)

(I'm getting good at braided buns though and DBF is magic at doing them for me)

gossamer
September 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I've recently fallen in love with the shell bun - tutorial here (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/28/shell-bun/) at Rapunzel's Resource:

I can hold it up with a single hair stick inserted through the loop formed by folding and then twisting the hair. Stays up well, and if I leave the ends out a bit, it becomes a very cute messy bun in little danger of falling down.

http://xb3.xanga.com/4d7f947bc0332271686446/m216694120.jpg

Sidenote: that's my favorite hair stick right now - a bone chopstick made in Kenya. Got a set at a fair trade handicrafts store for $6. :love:

luluj
September 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I've recently fallen in love with the shell bun - tutorial here (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/28/shell-bun/) at Rapunzel's Resource:

I can hold it up with a single hair stick inserted through the loop formed by folding and then twisting the hair. Stays up well, and if I leave the ends out a bit, it becomes a very cute messy bun in little danger of falling down.

Sidenote: that's my favorite hair stick right now - a bone chopstick made in Kenya. Got a set at a fair trade handicrafts store for $6. :love:

Very beautiful bun, and the hairstick is so pretty!:blossom:

cubedcoley
September 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM
About 4 months ago I bought what I thought was a set of Ketylo sticks when I decided to commit to wearing my hair up every day at work. I thought I was getting a steal at $15 for a set. I was disappointed to only get one, then realized what a beautiful piece I ordered and decided to store it safely until my hair had grown out enough to use it/or buy a mate for it. However, I have spent the last 45 minutes figuring out all the awesome ways I can use it on my APL layered locks.

Seriously, does this place have t-shirts? I LOVE LHC!!!!! :joy:

Thanks to all of the posters on this one-stick bun idea as you have really helped me a lot. I have stick straight slick hair and one thing that has helped tonight is my hair is a bit damp. Usually buns slide right out, so if you are like me (APL AND LAYERED), maybe try damp bunning it with a bit of product on the ends. super fun!!! thanks to all!!!

gossamer
September 8th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Very beautiful bun, and the hairstick is so pretty!:blossom:

Thank you :). I really love how the smoothness of the bone doesn't catch on any of my hair.

redneckprincess
September 9th, 2010, 04:40 AM
About 4 months ago I bought what I thought was a set of Ketylo sticks when I decided to commit to wearing my hair up every day at work. I thought I was getting a steal at $15 for a set. I was disappointed to only get one, then realized what a beautiful piece I ordered and decided to store it safely until my hair had grown out enough to use it/or buy a mate for it. However, I have spent the last 45 minutes figuring out all the awesome ways I can use it on my APL layered locks.

Seriously, does this place have t-shirts? I LOVE LHC!!!!! :joy:

Thanks to all of the posters on this one-stick bun idea as you have really helped me a lot. I have stick straight slick hair and one thing that has helped tonight is my hair is a bit damp. Usually buns slide right out, so if you are like me (APL AND LAYERED), maybe try damp bunning it with a bit of product on the ends. super fun!!! thanks to all!!!

Yes as a matter of fact there is a thread (somewhere, I'm on my blackberry right now so I can't find it or link it right now sorry)for t-shirts
Yeah, I have (almost) APL and layered and quite thick hair, most of the buns I CAN do I have to do wet, but there are quite a few I am learning that I CAN do!! :) I need to make a list, or post pics as soon as the albums gets fixed so we can.
In the last month I have learned I can do (at least) 5 styles/buns, I didn't know I could/couldnt do a month before :) :) :)

CelinaStarr
September 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
The two I've been using most often because they feel secure and don't hurt are the cinnabun and figure-8. Lazy wrap and Celtic knot are not holding well anymore and I can't figure out why.

These are the only buns that work on my hair. I really like the lazy wrap bun but can't get it to stay. I can make one but it always falls apart even when I use my two long Ketylos.

Torrin Paige
September 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I use the Nautilus most days because it's super fast and secure...one stick horizontally. When I feel like being just as lazy but a bit fancier I use Spidermom's Bun That Stays. I love that one because it does, in fact, stay AND it looks pretty from the front as well, because I wear mine so high. Pics:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY1798.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY1781.jpg

I've got a tut on the Nautilus, but I'm assuming that most of ya'll know how to do that one. Spidermom's I learned from Hypnotica here: http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica#p/a/u/4/EoBA2OhZrcU So thank you to Spidermom for her bun and Hypnotica for showing me where I was messing it up. Woot!

CelinaStarr
September 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I use the Nautilus most days because it's super fast and secure...one stick horizontally. When I feel like being just as lazy but a bit fancier I use Spidermom's Bun That Stays. I love that one because it does, in fact, stay AND it looks pretty from the front as well, because I wear mine so high. Pics:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY1798.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY1781.jpg

I've got a tut on the Nautilus, but I'm assuming that most of ya'll know how to do that one. Spidermom's I learned from Hypnotica here: http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica#p/a/u/4/EoBA2OhZrcU So thank you to Spidermom for her bun and Hypnotica for showing me where I was messing it up. Woot!

Pretty bun. Okay. Now I see what my issue is. My hair is either too thick or my fingers are too short. I have small hands and I notice that I can't wrap my hair around my fingers as shown in the video. My hair is much thicker than the length of my fingers and falls off of my fingers. It's is very difficult for me to even twist my hair around. If I had longer fingers or thinner hair perhaps. I can barely form one loop around my fingers let alone two.

curlsgalore
September 9th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Gorgeous! :)

may1em
September 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm a big fan of the Nautilus. It looks puffy and cool, and one stick is enough. For variety, I also use Ficarres, inserting the bottom part like a hairstick, then clamping shut.

CelinaStarr
September 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Okay. I just measured my fingers and all of my fingers a less than 3 inches (7.6 cm) long but the diameter of my ponytail is about 5.5 inches (14 cm) long. So it's impossible for me to really wrap my hair around my fingers without it falling. No wonder I was having such a difficult time making such simple hairstyles. I can manage to wrap it around once like with the Lazy Wrap Bun but it's impossible to get all of my hair to stay and now I know. Sometimes having really thick hair isn't so good.

Many thanks for this thread. Looks like I'm stuck with doing the Cinnamon bun and Figure 8 bun. Any other bun that requires me to wrap it around my fingers/hand (especially more the once) probably isn't possible.

LoversLullaby
September 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Mine is the Gibilatar bun. Ridiculously secure, easy to do, and as long as your hair is long enough to do a cinnabun, you should be able to do it. :)

Instructions: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55541

JamieLeigh
September 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Probably Chinese bun. I always hated the look of them on myself, while adoring the look on others...but I've gotten past that stigma and have enjoyed them lately. :D

Braided Chinese bun, very messy, one stick, no pins.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2615&pictureid=36858

CaityBear
September 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I like to do a figure 8 and I do it horizontally.

Torrin Paige
September 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Celina, I have an idea. Instead of wrapping around your fingers for the Nautilus and Spidermom's bun, try wrapping it around your wrist. I just tried it with both and it's totally do-able. That way your itty bitty fingers won't keep messing you up...you'll have your whole hand to wrap your hair around. I never thought about the fact that I have giant man hands...it may be why some of my gals have trouble with a few of my hairstyles. I never even thought about it. Try your wrist though...I hope it works for you.

rags
September 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Also a suggestion, Celina, for the Lazy Wrap - secure it with a big three or more prong fork or with a Ficcare. I don't know if that will help with your problems securing it, but it's what I have to use on super slippery hair. It will almost never stay up with sticks, but I can stab it into submission with a multi prong fork!

Pixna
September 10th, 2010, 04:32 AM
JamieLeigh and Torrin -- gorgeous buns!!! :thud:

cubedcoley
September 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I really can't wait to try some of these more intricate updos. Everybody's buns look very elegant!!! hmmm, does that sound funny?

CelinaStarr
September 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Celina, I have an idea. Instead of wrapping around your fingers for the Nautilus and Spidermom's bun, try wrapping it around your wrist. I just tried it with both and it's totally do-able. That way your itty bitty fingers won't keep messing you up...you'll have your whole hand to wrap your hair around. I never thought about the fact that I have giant man hands...it may be why some of my gals have trouble with a few of my hairstyles. I never even thought about it. Try your wrist though...I hope it works for you.

I tried and my hair isn't long enough I think. I got one and a half loops around my wrist, lol! I'm style challenged.

Also a suggestion, Celina, for the Lazy Wrap - secure it with a big three or more prong fork or with a Ficcare. I don't know if that will help with your problems securing it, but it's what I have to use on super slippery hair. It will almost never stay up with sticks, but I can stab it into submission with a multi prong fork!

I made a lazy wrap bun and place my 3 prong Ketylo fork in it and it fell apart. I guess with practice I could get it. I tend to make my buns loosely. That may be my issue.

I thank both of you for offering pointers. My hair is not only thick, but I have coarse strands and it's very curly. I rarely straightened my hair but I bet these styles would be much easier for me if I straightened my hair but I prefer my hair curly.

I tried the figure 8 bun going sideways as one poster in here mentioned and it works for me. It looks nice a fluffy but it holds very well with just one hair stick. I also managed to make a cinnamon bun today using one hair stick too.

constantki
September 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
The hypo-bun is my favorite, with the chinese braided bun as a close second.

Teakafrog
September 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM
My fav is a Nautilus bun, done horizontally. Holds like super glue all day, never slips out.

cmnt831
September 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I really can't wait to try some of these more intricate updos. Everybody's buns look very elegant!!! hmmm, does that sound funny?

I once had a conversation here with someone about how I wished my buns were as big as hers. Yeah, it sounded funny, but I think we all know what we're talking about here. :p

wickedwitch
September 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
The infinity bun. I find it to be incredibly secure, even with only one stick.

Gumball
September 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Hands down my favorite is the nautilus. It's how I wear my hair most often now, as it's just the easiest thing to do. I insert the stick more or less horizontally, and it holds great.

Sagi1982
September 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
My faves are the Japanese bun (with twisted start) or my own invention: http://www.youtube.com/user/LHSagi?feature=mhum#p/u/21/zIyay813QvU
its fast, easy, good looking imho and stays all day.

Pixna
September 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM
What an easy, unique, and do-able bun, Sagi!! Thanks so much for posting it and for the link!!

Sagi1982
September 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM
You're welcome! Its such an easy bun - I wonder if I was the first who "invented" this? ;)

Bluegrass Babe
September 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I have a suggestion for CelinaStarr and others whose hair is either too thick or short for The Bun That Stays by Spidermom.

Try making one loop instead of making two. You may need to either wrap in different direction or form your loop by wrapping down instead of up like Hypnotica. You will need to be a little neater with the loop because you will need to split it. It looks the same:
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/spidermomsbun.jpghttp://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/nikonpics020.jpg

The Lazy Wrap Bun has been my favorite for a long time. It goes up in seconds and I can do it without looking in the mirror.

Now that my hair is longer, I'll have to try a few new ones. Your buns are all so pretty!

ETA: If I tuck my ends instead of letting them "peacock" I have to use a hairpin. It also makes the bun more secure for those of you having trouble with this bun.

mneh
September 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM

I second these votes for Franny's wrapped hairstick bun. It's the only bun/updo that I can make work, at the moment, because my hair is still quite layered and I don't have much experience with updos. My hair is coarse and thick and, in the past, my attempts at updos with Flexi8s, or hair-clips, have been wonky and unstable, so I'm really pleased that this bun works and stays put.

So, this is my first successful hairstick bun:
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/86_12/11_71/Photo-on-2010-09-20-at-17-14-2698.jpg

(I found some lovely chopsticks, when I was tidying up my flat, and decided to use them to practice hairstick buns). It's not terribly tidy, because of the layers in my hair, but I'm as pleased as punch that I managed to follow Franny's instructions and that I got my hair to stay put - it feels very secure :D This is also the first updo that I've attempted that doesn't give me a headache :D

Bene
September 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM
The Lazy Wrap Bun has been my favorite for a long time. It goes up in seconds and I can do it without looking in the mirror.

Now that my hair is longer, I'll have to try a few new ones. Your buns are all so pretty!

ETA: If I tuck my ends instead of letting them "peacock" I have to use a hairpin. It also makes the bun more secure for those of you having trouble with this bun.

You don't have to peacock or use a hairpin with a lazy wrap if you don't want to. I personally dislike the peacock look, and I don't putting more stuff in my hair than I have to, so no pins. Tucking after inserting the stick, that doesn't work for me. My hair flops out. With a lazy wrap, you just sort of wrap the ends around, in the same direction you were wrapping to start out with, just under the thumb. And then insert the stick. It stays.

The bun in my avatar, and the ones in my albums, all done with hair longer than BSL, all done with one stick and no pins.

Bluegrass Babe
September 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
With a lazy wrap, you just sort of wrap the ends around, in the same direction you were wrapping to start out with, just under the thumb. And then insert the stick. It stays.

That's where I was going wrong! I always secured the loop then tried to wrap and tuck the ends. If I stick the ends under my thumb they'll be trapped. I started doing this bun when I was APL, so my ends never reached that far. I forgot to adapt as my length grew. :rolleyes: Thanks, Bene!

luluj
September 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I second these votes for Franny's wrapped hairstick bun. It's the only bun/updo that I can make work, at the moment, because my hair is still quite layered and I don't have much experience with updos. My hair is coarse and thick and, in the past, my attempts at updos with Flexi8s, or hair-clips, have been wonky and unstable, so I'm really pleased that this bun works and stays put.

So, this is my first successful hairstick bun:
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/86_12/11_71/Photo-on-2010-09-20-at-17-14-2698.jpg

(I found some lovely chopsticks, when I was tidying up my flat, and decided to use them to practice hairstick buns). It's not terribly tidy, because of the layers in my hair, but I'm as pleased as punch that I managed to follow Franny's instructions and that I got my hair to stay put - it feels very secure :D This is also the first updo that I've attempted that doesn't give me a headache :D

Wonderful! It is pretty much my everyday bun, it holds so, so, well. Yours looks lovely!!;)

mneh
September 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM
Wonderful! It is pretty much my everyday bun, it holds so, so, well. Yours looks lovely!!;)

I have serious bun-envy from looking at all the wonderful creations on this thread, and LHC in general, so I was just as pleased as anything to be able to manage any type of bun, even if it had layers sticking out all over the place LOL.

I ask my DH what he thinks of my updo attempts but he always says he likes anything I do with my hair; to get a compliment from someone on LHC , where people have great hair, is really nice, thank you :D

I just need to find some hairsticks, that I can afford on my limited budget, as I don't think I would wear this bun outside the house with my 'practice' chopstick in it :o

luluj
September 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
I have serious bun-envy from looking at all the wonderful creations on this thread, and LHC in general, so I was just as pleased as anything to be able to manage any type of bun, even if it had layers sticking out all over the place LOL.

I ask my DH what he thinks of my updo attempts but he always says he likes anything I do with my hair; to get a compliment from someone on LHC , where people have great hair, is really nice, thank you :D

I just need to find some hairsticks, that I can afford on my limited budget, as I don't think I would wear this bun outside the house with my 'practice' chopstick in it :o

You are very welcome, mneh! I think the chopstick looks quite nice. Could you or your husband resize it?? Maybe just take a couple of inches off the bottom of the stick and sand it a bit, etc. I know that some of the Chinese Restaurants here ( I live in Canada, near Niagara Falls) have children's chopsticks which are shorter, perhaps that is an option.

hmmm
September 23rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
I just saw this video on another thread, posted by Cleopatra18, and this is really similar to what I do for my cinna-bee-butt hybrid bun. It's the 30-second chopstick bun: video link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRV1VzxdiXU)

Thank you so much!!! This is the only bun that stays on my head with one stick. So far I've tried the lazy wrap, the pencil bun and the manderly knot. The manderly knot was second-best, but it's a little too complicated and I keep forgetting how to do it :o

I'm so excited to be able to use hair sticks and not keep worrying about when they're going to fall out!! :cheese:

mneh
September 26th, 2010, 12:24 AM
You are very welcome, mneh! I think the chopstick looks quite nice. Could you or your husband resize it?? Maybe just take a couple of inches off the bottom of the stick and sand it a bit, etc. I know that some of the Chinese Restaurants here ( I live in Canada, near Niagara Falls) have children's chopsticks which are shorter, perhaps that is an option.

I doubt either of us would be able to re-size it and make it look good, we are not good with our hands in the least :o, but, then again, I could buy some cheap chopsticks and practice re-sizing them:eyebrows:

I do like the idea of trying to find children's chopsticks too. Thanks muchly for your suggestions :D

Emerald88
September 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I would have to say Chinese Bun. Here is a link to my hair journal with instructions & pics. http://www.network54.com/Forum/496746/message/1151692801/Chinese+Bun

sweetestday
September 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I just added a pic to my only album of my almost everyday bun... though it's not always with a hat. I don't have any hairsticks, but use either a wooden manicure stick or an old, antique pointy thing that was for crocheting or something. I've used shorter double pointed knitting needles, as well.

ETA: It's a nautilus with one stick. :)

bunzfan
June 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
The pinless braided bun is my favourite with one stick.

ashke50
June 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hypno bun for me. It is easy, comfortable and secure.

Becky9679
June 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'm still really new to the concept of hair sticks and I'm constantly amazed when I try a new updo and find out how secure it is with just sticks :)

Unfortunately my hair isn't quite long enough for most of them. I can sometimes do an infinity bun, sometimes not, and I've just learned the pencil bun from this very thread, seemed secure the first time, then the second time it just fell straight out. I need more practice and slightly longer hair. Oh and actual hair sticks, at the moment I'm using a pair of 6 inch cable stitch knitting needles because I refuse to buy expensive sticks until I'm better at updos!

Melisande
June 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
The Nr.8 bun is without a doubt my bun to go.

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/MataPics_2009/th_20090825figureeight.jpg (http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/MataPics_2009/?action=view&current=20090825figureeight.jpg)

At the moment, my hair is not long enough to do it, had a haircut since the pic was taken, but it won't take long and I'm eighting again.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9588/20090711flipped3.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/30/20090711flipped3.jpg/)

I love to put the hair up in a Nr.8 when it's wet. It keeps for ages and looks great.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5764/dscf0001.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83/dscf0001.jpg/)

ETA: I'm sure everybody knows how to do it? You twist your hair until it starts rolling back on itself, like for a cinnamon bun. You grab one loop and pull it up (or down, or to the side) until you get a nice Nr.8. You fix it with one hairstick. Any hairstick will hold but in my experience, a Ron Quattro in very damp hair will survive nearly everything!

bunzfan
June 28th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I also googled the pencil bun i love it, it goes up in seconds and it holds and always comes out looking great:joy:

Some days a plain bun works mostly it doesn't and that's why i'm stuck in a braided bun rut!

Alaia
June 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I do most buns with only one stick.

My favourite of the minute is the Nautilus bun.

Haven't done a figure eight for ages, I must try it again.

prettykitty
June 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Squeeeeeeeeee I just learnt the Nautilus bun, I just watched a few youtube tutorials (JJJ longhair, and Hynotica's) and had a play and it mostly worked! Even though I'm only just past BSL, and I could probably use a little more length for this one. How on earth would I learn these things without Youtube :crush:
One thing I'm having a little difficulty learning is the correct...tension? for new buns...I think I make them tighter than they need to be, but if I go too loose they don't work as my hair is maybe just a teeny bit too short still :(
Still, in the last month I've taught myself the Chinese bun (braided/not braided), Cinnamon Bun, Lazy Wrap and now the Nautilus! I need some new hair sticks to celebrate :p

Becky9679
October 17th, 2011, 02:27 AM
This is my variation on Spidermom's bun. My hair isn't long enough to wrap my hair around my fingers twice so I have to do it once and split my hair. Then I thought 'would I be able to do that braided?' so I tried it with two braids very close together. It works very well and stays up all day!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8101&pictureid=110850

I also do the pencil bun quite often just because it's easy. I feel like I need to learn some more :D

Rhodugune
October 17th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Becky9679 Very pretty, I liked it alot!

Pixna
October 17th, 2011, 07:23 AM
That's lovely, Becky!!!

pepperminttea
October 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Gorgeous Becky! Is that a LongHairedJewels stick I spy? :)

Zesty
October 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM
The nautilus bun, without a doubt. I wear this bun pretty much every day, unless it's a special occasion. I insert the stick at an angle. :)

Here's a link to a crappy picture of it. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8129&pictureid=109228

Becky9679
October 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the compliments! It certainly is a LongHairedJewels stick, one of 4 I own ;)

Gorgeous Becky! Is that a LongHairedJewels stick I spy? :)

racrane
October 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM
These are all great ideas. I have nothing really to contribute yet but I am learning. :)

kidari
October 17th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Pencil bun is my favorite, followed by figure 8 and infinity and cinnamon bun. I can't seem to get the lazy wrap, I need more practice or length or it's my layers that are the problem.

Here are two pics of the pencil bun, sometimes I get it tight and neat and it looks like a sock bun and most of the time the layered pieces stick out everywhere:

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/kidari4/IMG_9105-1.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/kidari4/IMG_9044-1.jpg

Diamond.Eyes
October 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I also like the pencil bun! :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1aN6_bdhio

Cirafly24
October 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I don't even have any paired sticks! I either use one stick, or a fork. My go-to one stick bun is the nautilus bun. I'm actually wearing a lazy wrap bun right now, which is growing on me.

Chetanlaiho
October 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM
One of the few buns that will hold my 60" hair with 1 stick...:) The Lazy Wrap.
Learned about this bun here at LHC and found a Youtube tutorial on it!
I hope to make a tutorial soon on this one.
Fun thread and great idea!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/LazyWrap1stickbun60inchhairc.jpg

We have the same hairsticks! xD

My favourites would be cinnabun and pencil bun. Lazy wrap works with one but I usually add one for stability, same with braided buns.

supercupcakexx
October 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I usually do a cinnabun or some cinnabun-y, made up, something-or-another bun. =P

LaceyNg
October 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
great thread, OP! and thanks so much to all of the people who posted their favorites! i'll try them out soon and share pics! :)

question though: how do you all take such nice pics of your own hair? tripods? DH always grumbles when i ask for his help, and he never seems to get the angle 100% right :/

kidari
October 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM
^^ I bug him when he's sitting in front of his computer. I found the perfect angle is when I'm standing at the window to his left while he takes a quick picture or two while sitting at his desk. Before I ask him to take the pictures I always check it from the back using a hand mirror. Also, I look at the picture in case I need him to take another one, because if I keep asking he gets annoyed.

Yame
October 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I only know a few (I was learning a new one per week and then stopped), but so far my favorite, favorite ones are the hypno bun and lazy wrap bun. My next favorites are nautilus bun and spidermom bun.

Cap93WL
November 7th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I usually do a Nautilus bun, but I discovered the disk bun (?) a while ago, and that one holds much more firmly without much effort, so it really depends on which hair stick I want to use. The longer ones I do a disk bun, I could probably get by with a shorter stick, but it feels less secure.
I really want to be able to do an orchid bun, but my hair's too short/think to make it look right.

meteor
November 7th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Currently: braided L-Infinity bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ).

It's my go-to single stick bun, but I notice I go through periods of wearing the same bun almost all the time until I hit a new milestone or something, and then I need to switch it up, because some new bun becomes possible and the old one doesn't feel as comfortable. I used to prefer braided LWB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DKLqSQWZos) from TBL+ until around Classic and braided cinnabun/cinnablob and a very simplified version of Ellingwoman braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2jGJvMBI4) at around Hip-TBL.

Entangled
November 7th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Right now, mine's Spidermon's bun. A weird bun somewhere between nautilus and LWB is another favorite, and my hair is now long enough to stay up in a Gibraltar. I also like the pinless braided bun.

kganihanova
November 7th, 2015, 07:05 PM
None of them because they all fall out -.-

Kitsunesunset
November 7th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Artemis and Hypno are my faves. Then cinnabun. Lazy wrap if I need to slap it up super fast. And nautilus doesn't suit/flatter me no matter how I insert the stick.

natural_shine
November 7th, 2015, 11:00 PM
I have only mid back lenght hair. What bun I can do with one stick? I've never done any stick bun before :D so something easy.
Awaiting suggestions, thank you.

Alastríona
November 8th, 2015, 01:16 AM
I have only mid back lenght hair. What bun I can do with one stick? I've never done any stick bun before :D so something easy.
Awaiting suggestions, thank you.

I'm at BSL and I can *just* loop a cinnabun around once and tuck the ends through. To stabilise it I use a fork, a spin pin or a stick. I'm waiting for more length to do other buns too!

copperlites
November 8th, 2015, 02:55 AM
I'm at BSL and I can *just* loop a cinnabun around once and tuck the ends through. To stabilise it I use a fork, a spin pin or a stick. I'm waiting for more length to do other buns too!hi Alestronia, a fellow Aussie, I'm at mid back too and was about to ask what I can do. I don't have as much thickness as Yu, so can do lazy wrap, infinity bud, just tried a hypno bun today and managed that, though hubby described it as " a bit messy"

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM
The Pha Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig) was my first stick bun :)
Great for the shorter lengths; you can tuck the tail or leave it out.

Afanen
November 8th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Cinnabuns and Chinese buns without any pins :D

cat11
November 8th, 2015, 01:23 PM
^^ I bug him when he's sitting in front of his computer. I found the perfect angle is when I'm standing at the window to his left while he takes a quick picture or two while sitting at his desk. Before I ask him to take the pictures I always check it from the back using a hand mirror. Also, I look at the picture in case I need him to take another one, because if I keep asking he gets annoyed.

timer option on the phone or camera. If your built in one on the phone doesnt have it you could download one that does. Then I prop it on a table or dresser against a candle or something and stand in front of it.

Littlefox
November 10th, 2015, 08:34 AM
My favourite bun at the moment for TTs is the Nessa Bun invented by the wondeful Nessa from the german longhairforum.

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/bodyscensus/12197127_10207927024235793_399446810o_o_zpsawthpe3 m.jpg

I love that the bun shows a lot of the beautiful inlays. I do need to practice it a little more though :oops:

Here is the link to the video, it is in german but I hope it still works for all you non german speakers :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLWQr5I1Qc

schatten
November 10th, 2015, 09:48 AM
The Nessabun looks really good on you, Littlefox!

Littlefox
November 10th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Thank you! I am missing a little length for it to be perfect but it does hold and looks great already :)

EmmaDStrange
November 10th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Can anybody put a name to this bun? I sort of wrap my hair around my hand twice then the rest around the outside a few times then the stick goes through the middle of the two loops. I use it ALL the time; it holds rock steady in my TBL hair and holds with one stick! The only problem is it tends to look rather bulky.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/Emmy-Lou-94/12226479_10207011272093988_1540875637_n_zps4xgcemj g.jpg

meteor
November 12th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Can anybody put a name to this bun? I sort of wrap my hair around my hand twice then the rest around the outside a few times then the stick goes through the middle of the two loops. I use it ALL the time; it holds rock steady in my TBL hair and holds with one stick! The only problem is it tends to look rather bulky.

Stunning bun, EmmaDStrange! :applause

I think you might be describing the Spidermom's Bun (Double-Loop Bun)? I absolutely love this style! (Here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8)

cat11
November 14th, 2015, 06:28 AM
For convenience sake I just gathered all the bun names from the thread and put them in one list :) Look how many options there are!! At hip I plan on trying new buns and seeing if my hair is finally long enough for more of them... I added a couple at waist I could do but not as many as I hoped. Looking through this list though there are some I haven't tried which I think may be possible.

When I get home (or tomorrow) Ill compare this to my bookmarks and youtube playlists and see if there's anything to add.

nessa bun
spidermom bun
lazy infinity bun
artemis bun
hypno bun
pha bun
pencil bun
figure 8
frannys wrapped hairstick bun
hypnoticas wrapped hairstick bun
french pinless (braided)
Chinese wrap bun
celtic knot bun
split bun
lazy wrap bun
cinnamon bun (for some..)
disc bun
nautilus bun
chinese bun
Gibralter bun
shell bun
braided chinese bun
braided lwb
braided lazy infinity
KarenLynn Knot
pretzel bun
braided cinnamon bun
put a stick above a braid and wrap the braid around it for a braided bun

Lisa Long4Life
November 16th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Since discovering this thread I've been wearing the hypnobun - it looks quite intricate but I can manage it :) I'm going to try some new ones too :)
Before that I usually did a LWB or occasionally a chinese bun.
I do like braided buns though.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM
My favourite bun at the moment for TTs is the Nessa Bun invented by the wondeful Nessa from the german longhairforum.

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/bodyscensus/12197127_10207927024235793_399446810o_o_zpsawthpe3 m.jpg

I love that the bun shows a lot of the beautiful inlays. I do need to practice it a little more though :oops:

Here is the link to the video, it is in german but I hope it still works for all you non german speakers :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLWQr5I1Qc

I love that Nessa bun - I must try it, though I may need more length for it to look good. Maybe it would work if I used my paranda.

CoveredByLove
November 16th, 2015, 04:17 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/Emmy-Lou-94/12226479_10207011272093988_1540875637_n_zps4xgcemj g.jpg

Your bun is gorgeous! But where did you get that stick!? Its so cute! I love owls. :D

Beatrixity
January 23rd, 2016, 10:45 PM
For convenience sake I just gathered all the bun names from the thread and put them in one list :) Look how many options there are!! At hip I plan on trying new buns and seeing if my hair is finally long enough for more of them... I added a couple at waist I could do but not as many as I hoped. Looking through this list though there are some I haven't tried which I think may be possible.

When I get home (or tomorrow) Ill compare this to my bookmarks and youtube playlists and see if there's anything to add.

nessa bun
spidermom bun
lazy infinity bun
artemis bun
hypno bun
pha bun
pencil bun
figure 8
french pinless (braided)
Chinese wrap bun
celtic knot bun
split bun
lazy wrap bun
disc bun
nautilus bun
chinese bun
Gibralter bun
shell bun
braided chinese bun
braided lwb
braided lazy infinity
KarenLynn Knot
pretzel bun
braided cinnamon bun

Thank you cat11!

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 10:53 PM
Lazy wrap bun! Oh wait, that's the only bun I do :laugh:

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 10:56 PM

nessa bun
spidermom bun
lazy infinity bun
artemis bun
hypno bun
pha bun
pencil bun
figure 8
french pinless (braided)
Chinese wrap bun
celtic knot bun
split bun
lazy wrap bun
disc bun
nautilus bun
chinese bun
Gibralter bun
shell bun
braided chinese bun
braided lwb
braided lazy infinity
KarenLynn Knot
pretzel bun
braided cinnamon bun

Thank you cat11! So many buns to try :disbelief :grin:

Dessi
January 23rd, 2016, 10:59 PM
I think my favourite is Nautilus bun. Not that I like how it looks that much, but it's pretty easy and doable for 10-15 seconds and also very comfortable.

Groovy Granny
January 24th, 2016, 12:09 PM
It is still the Pha and LWB, though the L Finity and Chinese are now do-able :happydance:
With my short torso I lose length to do much else :shrug:

Quasiquixotic
January 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Link bun!!

Rhodugune
January 24th, 2016, 01:46 PM
The Gibraltar bun, been doing that one for years and years before I knew its name, its been my go to bun for over 15 years, as I can make it stay up without a hairstick or anything.

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Holy moly, EmmaDStrange, you have an amazing hair colour! And I love that little owl peaking out of that amazing bun. I would like to know the name too... So cute!

melusine963
January 24th, 2016, 02:19 PM
My favourite bun is the disc bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ). It looks great, and it's very comfortable to wear. Sadly, it doesn't hold quite as well as a nautilus does, but it's great for wearing around the house.

Robi-Bird
January 24th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Disc bun. It's the only one that always stays for me. The Lazy wrap and cinnabuns fail for me at least half the time.

gustavonut
January 24th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Disc bun since it stays forever. Plus it works for my mediumish length hair.

enting
January 26th, 2016, 02:53 PM
My go-to bun with one hairstick is the nautilus, because it's fast and easy. My favorite of the moment though is probably a modified disc bun. Instead of wrapping over my fingers once and then wrapping the rest of the length around the base, I wrap each side twice over my fingers and then wrap the rest of the length around the base. I find that it pulls less on me that way (and makes my hair look twice as thick :) ). I almost always insert the stick horizontally. If there's a hanging tassel or decoration on the end of the hairstick, then I seem to like to insert it angled with the decorated end higher up.

bparnell75
November 6th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Thanks for this, I just leaned the Nessa bun and it works very well. I will wear it today with my new SWord.

bparnell75
November 6th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Mine is a simple spin wrap like what the Swordswoman does before she flips it/ Twisting my hair just gets tangled in my fingers. Then I thread the stick under the first loop and push it out over the top, swing it back down under the hair and out at the bottom catching some strands from the bottom. Stays all day or ca be flipped for a fancier look, that does not hold as well.

Saige
November 6th, 2016, 04:15 PM
My new go-to bun is the Gibraltar bun, which I can hold with just one stick. I find that putting the stick at an angle through the outer loop holds best. I also like the Nautilus bun but it has been behaving badly for me lately, which is a shame.

Llama
November 6th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Disc bun. Very reliable one stick bun.

vampyyri
November 7th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Nautilus or Disc bun, it's a toss up!

Cg
November 7th, 2016, 10:31 AM
No bun holds for me with only one stick. Slippery hair....

gthlvrmx
November 7th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Nautilus! It even holds for me now without a hairstick. ;)

sumidha
November 7th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Nautilus is my default, but I'm partial to the L-finity if I'm putting some thought into my hairstyle. :)