PDA

View Full Version : How does your hair FEEL?

Gladtobemom
September 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
When the hair goes up, I cease to worry about it. I have a repertoire of hairstyles that don't pull . . . and I use them. My hair at this length needs a good solid distributed hairstyle. I often wear an Equilibrium Bun, Infinity Bun (made several ways), Braided Chinese Bun, or rope braid bun. For the most part, I like that it means my hair is "taken care of." Hairs escape, mine is really wavy. It actually looks better that way.

But how does it feel! Mostly, it feels cooler and after a few minutes, I sort of forget about my hair. If there's a hairstyle that slips or slides or needs redoing, it won't last long. I'll just swirl it up into an stab it into submission with a big hair fork or a stick.

If my hair is down and braided, it usually means I couldn't get my hair to go up right--or I have a headache--or Zowie has been braiding my hair. I LOVE the feel of my long braid. My braid goes nearly to my belly button when I bring it around front and I LOVE that. What I don't like is that my hair has to be at least 4-5 days after a wash to make a neat braid. I do love the way it feels when it swings. What I DON"T like is that people seem to feel entitled to touch it or play with it.

In the evening, I usually take it down, detangle it, and give my scalp a good massage. Quite often, I do this while sitting with the family, watching a movie or such. I love that feeling when I lift my hair up and flip it up over the sofa table behind the couch (no ornaments there, on purpose). The hair around my scalp opens up and I feel sooooo relaxed.

Weirdly, I love the feel of my hair on my shoulders and back, but I don't like it sticking to my neck. I also don't like it hanging down in my face. So when I take it down, I use a pair of great big side combs to keep it behind me. If it's warm, I usually pick up a big slide and gather it all a few inches from my head, just to keep it off my neck.

How does your hair feel?

spidermom
September 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM
All my buns are beginning to feel really tight around my hairline at the forehead. I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a receding hair line because of traction. I don't pull them tight, either. I think it's the weight.

My hair is slippy-slidey; it's nearly impossible to secure braids wrapped around my head, which I imagine would feel better (not so much pull). But it almost never works for me.

I'm finding that I just hate the feel of a braid swinging around or a bun at the nape of my neck.

Stagecoach
September 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I too like my hair off my neck and out of my face for the most part.

My biggest go-to styles are twisted and braided cinna buns and tucked log rolls. I do braided Chinese buns and a couple others on rare occasions. When it's up, it feels nicely contained and smooth. The weight is evenly distributed.

I've taken to wearing my hair in a simple braid more often lately, but I can't do it at work (Don't want the tail swiping someones ice cream cone when I spin around!) or when I'm cleaning. But I enjoy the feeling of my braid hanging. :)

I also love to toss my hair over the back of the couch or chair if it's loose... it really does seem to free up the scalp!

BranwenWolf
September 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I never wore buns as a kid and still hate it. The hairsticks are helping but I'm lazy and just leave it down most of the time. I can't do high ponytails, either.

Carolyn
September 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Most of the time my hair doesn't feel heavy. The worst is a high ponytail which I never do anymore. I don't like the feel of a high bun either. A nape bun feels the best. I like that little slight weight at low back of my head. I love my braid swinging around. Until it got past mid back braided it was like a stiff stick on the back of my head. I didn't like that. Now it swings and flops and that feels good. I love my hair when it's wet. It's cold and heavy and I love that. I love leaning on it the few occasions when I wear it down. It reminds me hey I have long hair.

melikai
September 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have to do really specific updos if I'm going to do them at all, or else I end up taking them down after a minute or two due to pulling or general annoyance. My favourites right now are Gibson tucks and braids - mostly heidi braids pinned up or side braids. I also often do a Lazy Wrap, cause it's easy and fast, and because I can remember how to do it without having to re-look it up! :lol:

I love the feel of my hair down. Unfortunately, it's not practical for some activities.

Night_Kitten
September 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
When I put it in a bun, I forget about it after a short while, unless I did it wrong and then I feel pulling on my scalp after a while.
I only wear braids at home, because they get really fuzzy really fast (unless I heavy-oil my hair), but I still like the feel of the braid swishing behind me every time I turn :)
My favorite feeling is the feeling of my loose hair on my back - it feels so nice and comforting for some reason :D

Henrietta
September 6th, 2010, 07:25 AM
When it's in a good updo it doesn't feel at all ;) If the bun is too tight I don't feel my scalp hair pulling. It's a headache at once.

When it's down I don't particularly like the feeling of having my hair on my face. I love my side layers but I'd prefer them staying in the back:D I like it when my hair touches my back, so I feel how long it is ;)

Yesterday night, just before going to bed, so I had my mane in an English braid, I discovered that I like my braid. It started to feel long too, I don't even know when.

TeddyK
September 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM
When my hair is down it goes everywhere and it feels like a mane, which is alright sometimes, but I definitely prefer it back usually in a ponytail. I like the feel of it on my back and shoulders, which is probably why i like the ponytail it feels long with being in my face, and being a guy it is more than acceptable.

Kathie
September 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM
At my short length I really need to be careful how I anchor my hair styles when using forks and sticks. Forks, while holding my hair the best and feeling supper secure, can really pull on the section of hair they’re anchored to (ouch :justy:).

My favorite toy at the moment is a stick… if positioned right it feels secure and not to tight. Scrunchies/tucked in pony-tails are my lazy style- they also feel great… not to tight. I like my hair up and out of the way… its easily forgotten that way too.

Tiina
September 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Seems like I am in the minority here as I like how my hair feels down. At least in the winter it is warm and nice. Hopefully by next year's christmas I will be able to use it as a scarf. :)

Ravenne
September 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I have grown to love having my hair back and out of my face. I can do what I need all day without having to constantly make sure my hair isn't getting into any mischief. Lol. It's long enough to make a decent bun, but still not so long that I'm having weight issues. Then again, my hair's not very heavy anyway, so I dunno if that'll ever be a problem. Who knows. :) I do pencil buns for my "I had 10 seconds to devote to my hairstyle this morning" style and french braids for days when a bun just isn't working and I still have about 5 minutes or more to kill. I try not to do ponytails if I can help it. They're just not comfortable anymore. I'm constantly fiddling with the ends.

I wear it down on very special occasions as a treat to DBF (he loves it down) and when lounging around the house.

chotee
September 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I love the feel of my lazy bun or a orchid bun in a stick but my DH doesn't like it much so i braid my hair too which i am not as comfy because the ends are a bit thin abruptly...waiting for them to thicken up a bit then i think i will braid more even if the hair gets longer than my current TB length......

Reds11
September 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
my hair is really thick so I am always having to have it thinned out. I have a double crown and I can't stand my hair on my neck, the ends feel scratchy.
I have been deep conditioning but, skippe dit with my last wash when I used a cleansing shampoo and it scratches my neck like crazy.
my mum is always saying." Why do you put your hair in a loop under your scrunchie? why not leave it in a ponytail?."

I said."It itches on my neck!."

HikerTrash
September 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I can't stand the feel of my hair on my face. So I rarely wear it down. I love the feel of it when it's in one or two braids. I love how it feels to have a nice long braid down my back but I also like the feel of the braid itself when I touch it. I love how silky rope braids feel. I will put extra coconut oil before I braid so it feels extra tight and smooth.

kmoc123
September 10th, 2010, 01:37 PM
KNOT so hot today...lol...it really needs a nice shampoo and condish...

Danaus plexippu
September 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM
This morning I went for a long walk on a country dirt road. On a whim I left my hair down. It's cloudy and misty with that delicious late summer air. I feel that urgency in the trees, grasses and insects as nature begins its descent into dormancy. I'm walking with my dog in the misty hills. The moisture in the air lands heavy on my hair and it falls wavy down my back. Little tendrils of hair blow gently on my cheek. Today, my hair feels romantic and natural, a little melancholy.

constantki
September 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I love the feeling of my hair on my neck, I'm surprised that so many people dislike it.

Joliebaby
September 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
My hair feels wild.

It's starting to feel longish, touching my back. I love as it falls down heavily when I let it down from a bun. I love the "thud" my braid makes, as I let it fall from my hands.
I like to wear my hair down a lot, but my DD is bothered by it, I carry her a lot or she sits in my lap, and she pushes my hair behind my back so that it doesn't get all over her. So I wear it up a lot. But I have to be careful with sticks so I don't poke her when hugging her. I think forks are best now.

I hate having my growing-out bangs in my face, so I clip them to the side even at night.

I used to not like wet hair at all and it was my pet peeve with long hair. So much wetness after washing!! I have come to not mind it, or actually even like it.

I'm enjoying my hair more all the time as it gets longer. All this growing really isn't for nothing, it's not just for a look I like - it's a great feeling, having long hair!

JenniferNoel
September 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I only like it down when it's having a good day. Other than that it'll get in the way. I hate the feeling of shorter hair on my neck, icky and itchy.
On the other hand, I love having my hair back and up. It looks great and feels sleek and comfy.

Reds11
September 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I had my hair tinted a brighter red. I am not sure what you would call the shade ruby maybe. Today the top is soft and shiney but, the base of my hair seems scratchy. I need to put my leave in conditioner in but, I am worried with red that the colour will shift too quickly.

aenflex
September 13th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I have never, ever liked the feeling of my hair touching any part of my body. I don't know if it's me or of it's the hair. This is my extreme downfall when it comes to growing. I've had my hair a comfy distance past my elbows, (I guess that's BSL?), mulitiple times. And I always end up cutting it all off and I never even regret it. Climate might just be the culprit, I live in high, high humidity, and with being sweaty and hair being frizzy - ugh. I'm currently trying hard to grow it for the next 6 months, though. Please wish me luck!! :pumpkin:

Jules diamond
September 14th, 2010, 02:08 AM
My hair is really fat. It stays up easily, but it's tough to get it into a style I want. It's always jumping out of braids, even when I oil.

Texture-wise it's very soft. Not as much as the fine haired ladies and gents, but it's pretty nice in its own right.

FrannyG
September 14th, 2010, 03:30 AM
My hair feels so good when it's down, which is rarely, but I do like to wear it down when I want to feel my best. I'm at a length where I can still conveniently do that.

In updos, I love the feeling of a low infinity bun.

If I'm alone, I feel very comfortable with a scrunchie bun right on the top of my head. I don't even feel it there at all. This has come in handy over this past very hot summer.

luxepiggy
September 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I love the way my hair feels - I'm always running my hands over the length when it's down. Also, right after I trim, the ends feel like a super-soft loose powder or bronzer brush, which I love (^(oo)^)v

Synthemesc
September 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I LOVE having my hair down, can't keep my hands off it. Can only keep it in a ponytail for so long before I have to take it down. Very bad habit, I know. Waiting for APL so I can get myself a nice stick, as incentive to keep it up.