PDA

View Full Version : Who helps you with your hair?

Speckla
September 5th, 2010, 01:38 PM
My husband helps me comb it out. I get some horrific tangles and tumbleweeds in my hair and have a hard time combing through them. He helps comb through them and gets the loose hairs to the ends so I can then get them out. I think I would have ripped out 1/2 my hair or broken it in frustration without him.

:cheese:

TinaDenali
September 5th, 2010, 01:56 PM
My DH also helps me with my hair when I want it braided. I'm dreadful at braiding, he's a lot better than me. :)

Othala
September 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hubby massages my scalp :love:

eezepeeze
September 5th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Pretty much nobody, but once in a great while I can get my mom to braid my ponytail nice and tight, especially if I'm going to be very active.

She does take most of my hair pics.

Nobody combs or massages or trims for me, though. I'm on my own.

missjessiecakes
September 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
DF usually helps. Although I think I am going to make him resign from trimming I said quarter of an inch and he took a whole one.

pepperminttea
September 5th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Normally no-one, but putting mini-braids in, my mother helped with the ones at the very back - passing them round to me for finishing when they were braided far enough down.

Yasmine91
September 5th, 2010, 02:40 PM
My mum helps me with it. Puts all the stuff in like henna and hair relaxers.

Finoriel
September 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hair fairies :D a whole dozen.

:liar:

Okay, okay you got me :p I do it all by myself, since I am old enough to do that.
Same as all other personal care / hygiene thingies.

Stagecoach
September 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
If I'm sick or have a migraine my Mom will brush my hair and braid it for me. Otherwise, I'm on my own completely.

sibiryachka
September 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hair fairies :D a whole dozen.

:liar:

Okay, okay you got me :p I do it all by myself, since I am old enough to do that.
Same as all other personal care / hygiene thingies.

Man, I WISH I had a dozen hair fairies, 'cause the only help I get is when DBF takes the occasional photo. Actually, what I really wish I had is a henna buddy in the area, so we could trade henna assistance. I have often wondered if there would be enough hennaheads in my area to form some sort of cooperative...

lpsqt60
September 5th, 2010, 05:28 PM
My DH is the only one that I trust to cut my hair, since he actually knows what 1/4 inch trim is actually supposed to be, but other than that I'm on my own. I try to get him to braid my hair but maybe it's a losing battle;)

MandyBeth
September 5th, 2010, 06:05 PM
DF combs, gives scalp massages, and does s and d. But will not do any full trims. I need a hair buddy!

virgo75
September 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I do all my hair madness by myself.

I've never had success with anyone else touching my hair.
Ever. :(

tinti
September 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Noone. My mom cuts it and her hair stylist knowledge sometimes comes in handy when I struggle with my cowlick and back poofs when I'm at her place, but most days it's only me helping myself :D

Speckla
September 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I have a good friend who has given me good advice that helped alot...shout to ya, sis!

Anje
September 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'm generally on my own. I think the last time someone else did something with my hair was whenever I last went to a salon for a cut, maybe 5 years ago.

ETA: Nope, strike that... I had to have my hair done for my brother's wedding last August. I don't think anyone's touched my hair except for incidentally since then.

ArienEllariel
September 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM
My dad will trim it if I ask him but he's not as gentle with combing as I would like..

Carolyn
September 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Other than trims and color/highlights I do everything that needs to be done myself. I can't imagine needing help with it otherwise. If I needed help with it, I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do. I haven't had anyone touch my hair other than a stylist or my friend who sometimes trims it in decades.

Cheeks1206
September 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I've had DH and my mom help me measure, but other than that, no one helps me with my hair. DH might help if I asked him. Maybe. I'm not really sure. I think he would if I asked, but not because he wanted to.

RitaPG
September 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM
All by me onesies :D
Would be nice to have someone to comb/ braid my hair for a change.

MandyBeth
September 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
DF has long hair also, thus he gets being gentle. Plus he lets me practice braiding his locs. I keep his locs looking clean in return.

arwenevenstar37
September 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I usually do it all by myself but sometimes i get pampered and DBF will comb it :0 we are still working on learning how to braid though...

suffer-cait
September 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM
i usually do it all by myself, but once in a while, when i am staying at home i can get my mom to do something.

Djinmonet
September 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
No one at the moment. I do my own self trimming too.

However, when I was an older teen, my hair was known to attack and steal too often (it walked off with a stapler once, routinely absorbed any small item not nailed down), so I needed it contained, somewhat, for work. I didn't really know how to braid for public display at that time, so my Father offered to braid my hair for me, before work.
I have many fond memories of him laughing wryly at how my hair was trying to break his wrist, or that braiding my hair was like trying to control live snakes (that thing where it wraps suddenly around the wrist of the unsuspecting braider, and holds tight?) .
He said it with such admiration, it seemed he liked how untamed my hair was. It made me feel better, he also was always careful to undo the knot around his wrist.
Somehow it was always perfectly braided when he was done. :magic:

motormuffin
September 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I have a lady I trust who cuts my hair. I pretty much do it myself except for that. My husband helps by letting me know I've left hair all over the bathroom floor. :)

Loreley
September 6th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Usually nobody helps me, I do everything on my own. But 2 days ago we went to my cousin's wedding and I made a half-bun and asked my mom to help me put those small hair jewels in my hair.

Johanna
September 6th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I only get my fiance to check to see if I've trimmed straight. I don't give him the scissors anymore as the only time I let him.....he got out a builders leveling tool.
I do like it when he brishes my hair for me sometimes. It's very relaxing.

Phexlyn
September 6th, 2010, 05:07 AM
No one, really, and the hair fairies are more busy tying knots into it than actually helping with my hair. DBF takes pictures if I ask him, I'm not sure if he likes it or just wants to do me a favor ;)

Tiina
September 6th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I've only got DH and a baby here and both are terribly good at doing everything they are not supposed to to my hair. :p

XcaliburGirl
September 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Nobody!

My husband does put up with a lot of questions and chatter about my latest hair experiment. He also has helped me scour the grocery store looking for coconut oil and citric acid. So he gets some credit.

Henrietta
September 6th, 2010, 07:41 AM
No one. I'd like someone to comb or brush my hair because I love this feeling. But I don;t have anyone I can trust. My family just don't understand that I take special care about my hair... And my friends would laugh at me. "It's just the hair. Wash, brush, put into a pony and go." Mhm... I wish I had a sister. Maybe she would understand? :D

hmmm
September 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Why would I need help with my hair?

Peggy E.
September 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM
"Who helps me with my hair?"

Nobody - and it sure shows! ;o(

jane53
September 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
No one.

I might bite off someone's hand if they tried, but luckily, I live alone, and the cat isn't inspired to help me with my hair any more than I'm inspired to help her clean her nether parts.

Aquamarine
September 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Pretty much no one.:rolleyes: I take care of it on my own! Well, when I was little mom used to wash it and braid it for me. Now, my mom does my hair only when I'm sick or for special occasions. :)

growing2shine
September 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Nobody helps me with my hair. Nobody has ever done, I mean when I was very young my mom just got me a short enough haircut that it wouldn't bother in any way and when I got old enough to hold a brush I have done it myself.:rolleyes: My mom is not good with anything like hair or makeup or fashion. But she is great any way.;)

Kristin
September 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
No one, really. I don't trust anyone with it any more. My sister likes to practice the braids I teach her on my hair, but she invariably breaks several hairs so I don't really let her do it any more. If I detangle first, I do ask my BF to brush it sometimes. He complains about doing it, but I like to think that he secretly enjoys it. He is absolutely obsessed with measuring my hair, but I don't do that any longer, either.

Cinnamon Hair
September 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
On a daily basis, no one but me. I can occasionally talk my mom into trimming or taking length photos.

RachelRain
September 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
My mom will braid it for me, occasionally. Usually it's when I show up for a random visit with it down and it's hot out - it bothers her to see it down when it's hot, lol. And I can't do it from behind so it's nice when she does it for me.

My boyfriend brushes it for me if it's wet, because I can't brush straight back without causing snarls. I hate my part though, so if I want it up in a bun I *need* that part hidden. I brush the worst of it out over my shoulder and he'll finish it up for me. Otherwise, it's just me. :)

I did tell him though that if I make it to knee he'll be brushing it a lot more often than he is now. lol.

meerikal
September 7th, 2010, 02:55 AM
If I beg, plead, threaten and become an incredibly difficult person to be around my sister will sometimes consent to dust the ends for me. For the most part I am on my own with haircare, however, I seem to be the go to person whenever someone else (and I won't bother naming names) needs assistance with her hair. Not that I'm keeping track or anything.

luxepiggy
September 7th, 2010, 05:34 AM
the first reasonably conscientious friend to visit my apartment once I've decided a trim is in order (^(oo)^)v

Generally I pop open the door and greet them with "hey! good seeing you again; oh by the way, before we go eat/shop/etc, pig needs a haircut! here, hold these scissors"

:D

CrisDee
September 7th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I do not have any memory of anyone ever helping me with my hair, even as a small child - and I have memories that go back to a couple months before age 3. My mother always cut my hair very short so she wouldn't have to take care of it. I was 8 when I rebelled and insisted on no more uber short pixie cuts, and then she told me I could only grow it long if I took care of it myself. Wow, to have someone lovingly brush or braid my hair - what a caring, loving thing that must be...

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 10:04 PM
If I'm sick or have a migraine my Mom will brush my hair and braid it for me. Otherwise, I'm on my own completely.

I'm the same way!

Darkessa
February 24th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I do everything for myself except measuring. My Fiance does that for me.
But every once in a while, my Mom will french braid it or just play around with it.

I would LOVE to have someone who would do some hair stuff for me though... That would be nice...

Tressie
February 24th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I only get my fiance to check to see if I've trimmed straight. I don't give him the scissors anymore as the only time I let him.....he got out a builders leveling tool.
I do like it when he brishes my hair for me sometimes. It's very relaxing.
I got a good chuckle out of this one! I could just see your DF checking that level! So cute!! :blossom:

cocoahair
February 24th, 2012, 10:35 PM
My sister helps me by braiding my hair or teaching me new braids.She is just about the only person I trust with my hair.

longhairedlady
February 24th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Oh wow I would give anything to have someone brush my hair or braid it. *sigh*

Diamond.Eyes
February 24th, 2012, 11:41 PM
My DF helps me with all of my hair stuff. Now that it is so long, he has to help me brush it every morning because I can no longer reach. He has braided it quite a few times for me before bed when I don't feel like wearing my silly sleep cap. He also helps me pick out perfume oils and hair products that he fancies, as he smells my hair often than anyone :laugh:. He's a pretty helpful guy :).

Kira94
February 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM
No one generally. Although if I ask nicely sometimes my mom will french braid my hair for me. :)

Tisiloves
February 25th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Me, myself and I.

I will sometimes ask my housemate if I've got the dye on evenly/anything else at the back of my head that needs checking, though.

Dragon Faery
February 25th, 2012, 02:34 AM
When I was little my mom did her best. I always had it down (but brushed), in a ponytail or half-up, or if I was really lucky and she had extra time I might get a braided ponytail. (She never could figure out French braids.)

My dad usually combed it (wet) after my weekly bath, when I was very small. It wasn't fun, but he tried his best. Usually tried to get me absorbed in a book before he started. It kept me from squawking as loudly.

From middle school on, no one did anything to it but me, except for my mom checking to make sure it was straight after I trimmed it.

Now my overly awesome husband willl try to help me with anything I ask. He helped me dye it purple twice, the year we got married, and increasingly often he offers to take pictures of my updos for me when he sees me contorting to get my phone around behind my head. He even braved the health food store to buy me coconut oil. And sometimes I can get him to braid it for me.

Neneka
February 25th, 2012, 03:57 AM
No one helps me. I trim and cut it myself and dye it myself. But I help my SO. I cut his hair and sometimes comb it. His hair is wurly and he just rips through it with comb although it's short (typical man-hair). He likes if I comb it because I do it so gently. :)

Adus
February 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Sometimes my mum does me french braid because she does it better than me. And my friend helps me with styling e.g. for work interwiev and other similar events.

I have managed combing and triming myself because now I have no more longer that shoulder length again and it is easy for me ;)

molly_grue
February 25th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Nobody helps me.

PixieKitten
February 25th, 2012, 07:14 AM
My mum will take photos for me if the lighting in my room is bad at the time. I help my boyfriend with his hair, it's about the same length as mine, dead straight and epically thin, so he has my braid it sometimes to get it wavy, and he lets me practice new-found braids on him =D Best part is, he'll keep them in because he doesn't care about going out in public with box braid pigatils xD

AcornMystic
February 25th, 2012, 03:30 PM
When I was young my mother would braid my hair for me at night after I'd washed it. She also used to play with my hair during nights when the family would watch movies. I would use her lap as a pillow and she would run her fingers through my hair. It was amazing...

Now-a-days, my nephew will help with the back of my head for update length shots and sometimes my mother will if my nephew isn't around. I like how my nephew catches the light right so you can see the condition of my hair as well as the length; how it shines. Hair care though falls on me, no one else. It is short enough anyway, and has been since grad back in '07. That there has really been no need of help.

What I really look forward to is when immigration has gone through and my husband is up in Canada living with me. He shows such a fascination with my choice of alternative hair care and is eager to help me. As some may know, he even insisted during our honeymoon on helping me to measure the length I would need to reach to be at knee. He pulled out his measuring tape and had at it.

My husband and I have so much to look forward to in regards to things to do together with my hair. He also likes to brush it, even though I can do it with ease myself. He even loves to play with it, which I consider myself blessed. We both like to have our scalps massaged as his eyes roll in the back of his head like a dog's ears scratched, so he understands how much I like it.

Like Diamond.Eyes fiancee, I imagine my husband would take great interest in perusing for scented oils for my hair as once he is up here it will be of a suitable length to use oils on a regular basis. He likes to put his face to my head and smell my hair. My pheromones he says. He said that hair absorbs surrounding scents very easily and so it is riddled with pheromones. I think he also sees my hair as an extension of myself and to love it is to love me and the fact that I take interest in it and love it so much draws him to love it all the more. He manages to take interest in everything that interests me because for the very fact that it does interest me, the one he loves. Kinda mushy, all of it, but I am grateful that I have someone who has helped and wishes to continue to help me with my hair.

LittleOrca
February 25th, 2012, 03:34 PM
My fiancée helps me to oil it. He likes to try and do things for me, so I let him do that. :)

lostchyld
February 25th, 2012, 03:47 PM
What I really look forward to is when immigration has gone through and my husband is up in Canada living with me. He shows such a fascination with my choice of alternative hair care and is eager to help me. As some may know, he even insisted during our honeymoon on helping me to measure the length I would need to reach to be at knee. He pulled out his measuring tape and had at it.

My husband and I have so much to look forward to in regards to things to do together with my hair. He also likes to brush it, even though I can do it with ease myself. He even loves to play with it, which I consider myself blessed. We both like to have our scalps massaged as his eyes roll in the back of his head like a dog's ears scratched, so he understands how much I like it.

Like Diamond.Eyes fiancee, I imagine my husband would take great interest in perusing for scented oils for my hair as once he is up here it will be of a suitable length to use oils on a regular basis. He likes to put his face to my head and smell my hair. My pheromones he says. He said that hair absorbs surrounding scents very easily and so it is riddled with pheromones. I think he also sees my hair as an extension of myself and to love it is to love me and the fact that I take interest in it and love it so much draws him to love it all the more. He manages to take interest in everything that interests me because for the very fact that it does interest me, the one he loves. Kinda mushy, all of it, but I am grateful that I have someone who has helped and wishes to continue to help me with my hair.

It sounds like you have quite the man in your life. Congratulations.

elfgirl
February 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM
My mum helps me with French braids and herringbones...it's more like, I ask her if she can do them for me :p because 1. I can't for the life of me, and 2. She loves to braid and help me out with my hair :)

Otherwise it's just me :) But it's all good!

jeanniet
February 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
No one in this house is supposed to touch my hair except me. My husband cut it for me once and that was a disaster, so it's hands off. Except that the kids think it's funny to touch it because it makes me turn on them like a wounded tiger, and then they get to laugh at Angry Mom. Boys. :rolleyes:

Once when we were visiting my sister and her family, her older daughter let my son brush and braid her hair while they were watching a movie. That was pretty funny (but he did a decent job!).

dwell_in_safety
February 25th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I do it all myself, as well as occasionally detangle my roommate's hair with my fingers.

Renate
February 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Nobody helps me :( I do it "all" (it's really not much) on my own. My boyfriend sometimes mocks me for caring so much for hair, but mostly supports me. He likes my hair long.

Piyo
February 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Unfortunately I don't get help, but I have often thought how nice it would be to have a "hair aid" I sure feel like I need one!

Amber_Maiden
February 25th, 2012, 05:11 PM
My husband occasionally gets very bad tangles out of my hair- he's good at that. He also helps me apply henna.

Lisabunny
February 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I do it myself :)

swearnsue
February 25th, 2012, 05:49 PM
My husband helps with trimming. He is very accurate and cuts just the right amount off.

AcornMystic
February 25th, 2012, 09:09 PM
It sounds like you have quite the man in your life. Congratulations.

Thank you, I appreciate you saying that. At 22, having found and married what I consider the closest thing to the fabled soul-mate, I consider myself very lucky. It only took one other man in my life to eventually find my husband, saving me more heartache and that in itself is something to be grateful for. It is interesting and funny how the one who caused the most painful experiences in your life could also be the one to bring you to the place where you would meet the one who would give you the most pleasant ones. I wasn't about to make the same mistake twice, but too many things happened as they did that brought my husband and I to this place in our lives that we are at to consider them co-incidences and I have a very strong feeling that we were meant to meet and be together. Sorta "hokey pokey" sounding, and over the top mushy, but it's just the feeling I get. :)

Dragon Faery
February 26th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Thank you, I appreciate you saying that. At 22, having found and married what I consider the closest thing to the fabled soul-mate, I consider myself very lucky. It only took one other man in my life to eventually find my husband, saving me more heartache and that in itself is something to be grateful for. It is interesting and funny how the one who caused the most painful experiences in your life could also be the one to bring you to the place where you would meet the one who would give you the most pleasant ones. I wasn't about to make the same mistake twice, but too many things happened as they did that brought my husband and I to this place in our lives that we are at to consider them co-incidences and I have a very strong feeling that we were meant to meet and be together. Sorta "hokey pokey" sounding, and over the top mushy, but it's just the feeling I get. :)

Congratulations! :)
What you say here sounds almost exactly like what happened to me and my husband. I'm soooo happy you found the right one, and you can appreciate him so much more because of the things you've been through. I hope immigration goes through quickly so you can be together again!

Shepherdess
February 27th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I brush/comb my hair and fix it up on my own and everyone I do know I really don't trust with my hair (although my Mom does trim my hair for me and I trust her to do that :) ).

zombi
February 27th, 2012, 12:51 AM
My sister helps me henna, but other than that, no one helps me. I am extremely tender-headed and everyone just hurts me :( Mr. Zombi helped me henna ONCE and was traumatized by the experience.

eta: oh, and I go to a hairstylist for trimming. Does it count as "help" though?

Mesmerise
February 27th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I do it all myself! I guess I am lucky in that I don't get super tangly hair (which I have experienced dealing with first hand through my DD... I had NO IDEA hair could be so challenging!!!), and that I have no problems dealing with the hair I do have.

melusine963
February 27th, 2012, 04:32 AM
My sister has given me a hair trim, and occasionally takes photos for me. For everything else I'm on my own.

AcornMystic
March 3rd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Congratulations! :)
What you say here sounds almost exactly like what happened to me and my husband. I'm soooo happy you found the right one, and you can appreciate him so much more because of the things you've been through. I hope immigration goes through quickly so you can be together again!

This response is a little bit late, but I just wanted to thank you again. Immigration is a time consuming thing even with Immigration Lawyers to help the process along. I also wanted to express that I am glad for you, too. It is a special thing when people come together under meaningful circumstances and even more special when they are so suited that it makes everything special.:)

XcaliburGirl
March 3rd, 2012, 07:58 AM
I don't have any help with actually doing anything with my hair. It kind of creeps me out to have someone touch my hair or head. I can't wait until it's long enough to trim with Feye's method.

My husband has to put up with my talking about it. My sisters will enjoy talking about hair, so that helps.
And of course, there's the LHC Super-Shorty team who help me by co-miserating!

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
I do my own hair as much as it pains me to be alone at times.

Maelyssa
March 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
I pretty much handle my hair myself but I rely on my other half to do trims for me on the rare occasion that I feel I need to trim.

Kumiko033
March 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Actually, one of my best friends even though he is always my hair-enemy
he always rubs my scalp gently and twists my curls in a way that gives me great volume and he lovesss to do it while we're watching tv or something
( I always tell him I hate it so he'll do it even more often lol )

Dragon Faery
March 5th, 2012, 02:34 AM
This response is a little bit late, but I just wanted to thank you again. Immigration is a time consuming thing even with Immigration Lawyers to help the process along. I also wanted to express that I am glad for you, too. It is a special thing when people come together under meaningful circumstances and even more special when they are so suited that it makes everything special.:)

Thank you, and you're welcome. :)

BBdck1
March 5th, 2012, 04:18 AM
My DBF would dye/highlight (a couple years ago when I henna, he would do that for me) every few months. He also pick up after my shed hair, organize my hair stuff that lies around, make hairsticks, indulge me when I tell him about all the cool things I learn from TLHC, and most importantly, stroke my hair and comment how soft/pretty it is when I want him to ^.^

Ligeia_13
March 5th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Nobody! My mum used to trim my hair but now I do that myself so there's really no need for anyone else as far as my hair is concerned.

TooShort
March 5th, 2012, 04:17 PM
My boyfriend has helped me color in the past. Since I started from a really textured pixie he has also cut the back of my hair once or twice so I wouldn’t have a mullet. He was very nervous about doing that even though I told him all I need was for him to cut my hair in a straight line. Now I am at a length that I can truly leave it alone for a bit but when it gets to where it needs a trim I am sure I will be doing it. Funny thing is we have already talked about him learning to braid…