PDA

View Full Version : So I am going back to bangs

mommy101405
May 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
I have been growing my bangs out. Well I decided to have laser hair removal and I won't be able to tweeze so I decided to cut my bangs again to hide my unibrow, lol.

Just wondering do most people have a blunt bangs or some sort of layers? I was thinking of cutting them myself but I'm afraid I will do a major hack job so maybe i should go to the hair dresser.

Kirin
May 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
I do a "major hack job" about every three weeks, or I can't see. I don't trust getting my bangs cut at the salon..... I dont want whisps, i have fine hair, its like putting two strands over my five finger forehead, I like thick bangs! They wont do it, if they attempt it, they try to rope me in for a trim, i'm not in the mood for that hassle, i'd rather hack em myself.

Sidani
May 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
I just went back to bangs myself and I love them. Mine had actually reached my hips, though. lol I don't have thick bangs, but they're not wispy, either. I just think my face looks better with bangs. I had a S&D session a few months back (my first ever) and had the girl cut the bangs in when she was finished. She did a wonderful job. I keep up with them by just gathering them and snipping UP at the bottoms with sharp scissors. This doesn't give you a solid line, it's a little wispier than that. hth :)

Haith
May 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM
I used to cut my own bangs too before I decided to grow them out. I didn't really know what I was doing the first time, and they turned out pretty great (abd even better every time after that)! I started by cutting them long, and trimming off a 1/4" or so at a time until I had it to the length that I wanted.
If you decide to do it yourself, have courage: you can probably do a better job than a professional for the sole reason that you'll know exactly what you want. Also, remember that wet hair will probably shrink up a bit as it dries, so keep that in mind if you're going to trim them when wet!

camillacamilla
May 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have thickish bangs that I can wear straight and let graze my eyebrows or I can sweep to the side. I cut them myself, BUT I used to be a dog groomer and know how to use scissors and texture hair to get the look I want. If you are not used to handling scissors and clipping your own bangs, you might want to leave it to a pro. Blunt bangs cut too short can be VERY harsh.

gretchen_hair
May 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Do u have to have layers to have bangs?

intothemist1999
May 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I do a "major hack job" about every three weeks, or I can't see. I don't trust getting my bangs cut at the salon..... .

I'm with you, Kirin! I'd rather do what I think will turn out and IF it's a hack job I have only myself to blame. I hate telling a professional what I want only to have them do what THEY want! In fact, one time I went to my hairdresser several weeks before my trim and told her THIS is the length I want it to be when I come in for my trim. She was looking at me like I was some foreign object in her eye and was definitely glazed :shrug: I'm not sure how much more clear I could have made it for her.

All I know is I've been upset more often with what a stylist has done, more than my own untrained attempts that end up more-or-less how I want :)

AutumnLeaves
May 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
No need for layers with bangs. I always cut my own. section off the amount of hair you want to cut to bangs and band the rest back out of your way. I then brush or comb mine down straight and hold them between my index and middle fingle in the middle of my face. Cut below your fingers (I've learned that cutting above them makes them too short!)...A pretty easy process. If you've never done it, I'd probably go to a salon and ask them to do it. Of course, it is totally up to you! I like my face better with bangs too!

Mitzy
May 22nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
I just got bangs again. I have bangs and light layers, but I have incredibly coarse and thick hair, so it really helps. The bangs don't blend into the layers, actually, because my hairdresser thinks I should grow my layers out AND she was reluctant to give me bangs, so they are light, straight across bangs, as she thinks that will grow out best. She thinks, now that my length is to BSL, that I should go for all one length and head for waist length! Kind of cool for a hairdresser, but she says I totally have the hair for it. Hmmm, her hair is mid back and she is growing hers, too, so --
Anyway, what was your question?
I can cut my own, but haven't the last little while.

mommy101405
May 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well I went ahead and did them myself this morning. They turned out all right. They aren't perfectly straight when they are wet but when they dry I can't notice it.

FrannyG
May 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm happy that it went well for you. I used to cut my own bangs for years. Sometimes I did them with layers and sometimes, just a blunt cut. With a little more practice, you'll find that you get better and better at it.

Did you end up doing a blunt cut or did you layer it a bit?

Flutterbee
May 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I had mine cut at the salon originally and I do most upkeep myself. When I go in for a trim I have them evened out as well. I think my bangs look better a tad unruly anyway, so this works for me.

Euphony
May 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry no advice or anything about the bangs. But I'm curious about the laser hair removal (I too have a hereditary unibrow). If you are having laser hair removal doesn't that negate tweezing? Won't the hair be gone so no need to cover the unibrow? I'm really confused :smile:

I get nasty eyebrow (there's no S for a reason :wink: ). If I leave my eyebrow to its own devices it'll be an inch thick straight across my head. I hot wax that puppy, along with my beard and mustache (aren't hormone imbalances fun fun!?!). I'm intrigued by the laser removal though, can you tell me about it?

Islandgrrl
May 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Euphony, there's a bunch of really good information on this website. Hope it helps!
http://www.hairremovaljournal.org/

jesamyn
May 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I cut my own bangs too, because I want them how *I* want them! I have long bangs, between my nose and upper lip, that I usually wear swept to the side. My method of cutting them is to gather them to one point and just snip off the bottom. Then I gather them straight up to a point and snip off anything excessively long. The result is that they're longer on the sides than in the middle, which is good since I wear them off to the side. They're also very slightly different lengths so they break up and don't clump.

mommy101405
May 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Sorry no advice or anything about the bangs. But I'm curious about the laser hair removal (I too have a hereditary unibrow). If you are having laser hair removal doesn't that negate tweezing? Won't the hair be gone so no need to cover the unibrow? I'm really confused :smile:

I get nasty eyebrow (there's no S for a reason :wink: ). If I leave my eyebrow to its own devices it'll be an inch thick straight across my head. I hot wax that puppy, along with my beard and mustache (aren't hormone imbalances fun fun!?!). I'm intrigued by the laser removal though, can you tell me about it?

You can't tweeze for 2-3 weeks before your treatment or in between treatments. Its actually a series of 6 treatments each about 4 weeks apart.

mommy101405
May 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm happy that it went well for you. I used to cut my own bangs for years. Sometimes I did them with layers and sometimes, just a blunt cut. With a little more practice, you'll find that you get better and better at it.

Did you end up doing a blunt cut or did you layer it a bit?

I did them blunt. After looking at them closely it looks like that's how they were cut originally.

fatmoogas
May 25th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Some people just need to have bangs.

Um Enis
May 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I also am thinking of going back to bangs. Kinda like this (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/17/katie3000.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/bobs-your-follicle-scientology-chics-very-posh/2007/12/17/1197740141496.html&h=368&w=300&sz=49&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=x7orC0g2d23S6M:&tbnh=122&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkatie%2Bholmes%2Bbob%2Bbangs%26um%3D1 %26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGIK_enUS276US276)on Katie Holmes but (obviously) much longer. Thought the bangs would look nice with an updo too.

Mitzy
May 26th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Euphony, you have to let the hair grow BEFORE the lazer treatment, because the lazer follows the hair down to the root.

Nimue10
May 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Well I went ahead and did them myself this morning. They turned out all right. They aren't perfectly straight when they are wet but when they dry I can't notice it.

No that's not right- you have to shave hair before a laser treatment. I've been doing laser hair removal treatments for a while and the area has to be shaved. Once you start doing laser you can't pluck or wax, but you can shave all you want. You also have to be careful not to tan.