PDA

View Full Version : How often do you brush/comb/fingercomb?

estherbeth
September 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
How often do you brush, comb, or fingercomb your hair?

I usually brush (carefully) once a day. When I have nothing to go into town for, though, I often wear my sleep braid for two days without messing with my hair much. But... is that more or less damaging than dragging something through it every day? :hmm:

FrizzFighter
September 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I finger brush in the morning and again at night. When I am doing a deep treatment or if it's my CWC day, then I finger brush before and after washing. I would love to be able to brush my hair with a BBB but my 2c hair turns into a frizz ball.

swivelhop
September 4th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I am bad. I probably comb (using a shower comb) my hair 5 times a day. Most my damage comes from tangles, so keeping them from getting started and going exponental works. It also keeps me from hating my hair. No brushes for about 10 years, and no fingercombing allowed, my fingers stick to my hair.

breezefaerie
September 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I comb in the shower, right out of the shower, while putting hair up for the day, and while putting hair up for the night.

Wow, a lot more than I realized! Like Swivelhop, my hair gets more damage from tangles than from gentle combing.

AspenSong
September 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I finger comb or use my big wide toothed comb in the morning when I take my braid or bun out to reset my hair into another braid or bun. :)
And I do the same before a shower...then finger-comb afterwards to just get it wherever.
That's about it. I've been trying not to brush it as much as I can. I don't really get bad tangles anywhere but right at the nape of my neck. All that hair right there, it tangles no matter what. Braid, bun, anything...those little shorter strands come out and knot themselves. *sigh*

ZoeSophia8
September 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Hello, all! I'm new to LHC, and very glad to be here. :D I'm mostly reading right now, but would like to post where I feel like I can contribute something, of course.

I used to brush my hair like a maniac -- it tangles very easily and for years I've been on the track where I just haven't known what good haircare is. Unfortunately I never had anyone in my life who could advise me, and I'm notoriously suspicious of hair salons, hehe. This is the primary reason I joined LHC; I've never found so much excellent information on natural haircare in one place before, and I'm excited to counteract years of torture with long-term care.

As part of my new routine, I've given up the hair brush. I use a wide-toothed comb (a plastic "pick" comb, really) in the shower and just after the shower. Once I'm dry I do some casual finger combing throughout the day to ensure I don't tangle.

I definitely agree that once I tangle, damage is inevitable. Combing tangled hair, no matter how careful I may be, just seems to rip the hair and cause breakage. So, at the moment, with my hair as delicate and tangly as it is, I try to finger comb as often as possible to avoid knots. Hopefully I will be able to strengthen my damaged hair and deal less with tangles in the future. :)

Heartwillfollow
September 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Becoming habit to comb in the morning and put it up then leave it. Will finger comb at night once I take it down before going to bed.

swellmel
September 4th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm a brusher. When I wash I fingercomb before I wash the conditioner out so it will be tangle free when I get out of the shower. I don't know a number but if I had to guess I would say I brush it 2-4 times a day. I wear my hair down most of the time so it does have more opportunity to tangle. I have fine straight hair and brushing for me makes my hair smooth and sleek rather than making it poofy or frizzy so if my hair is looking blah a quick brush smooths it out.

JenniferNoel
September 5th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Lately I've been finger combing twice a day, once in the morning to bun, and once at night to put it in a scarf/braids. I use a wide toothed pick comb every few days just to sort things out.

loralie
September 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Only right after I wash it. Seriously... my hair tangles too much and I try my best not to fiddle with it unless it's full of conditioner in the shower, or right after when it's full of leave in conditioner.

The only other time I would is when I'm deep conditioning or putting lots of oil as a leave in.

Sometimes I'll gently fingercomb out a tangle if it looks horrible or is bugging me, but rather than risk breakage I reserve all heavy detangling for when I'm using some sort of slippery product.

Juneii
September 5th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I comb about 2-4 times a day. My hair is relatively tangle free if I don't move around too much :)

luxepiggy
September 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I finger comb after washing, and also when I wake up in the morning

Othala
September 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I finger-comb and then comb-comb every morning and bedtime. The morning comb out usually involves the application of some conditioner, oil or shea butter to the last 6 inches of my hair.

slz
September 5th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Once a day : before going to bed, I undo my braid(s), comb then braid again.
Occasionally like you (=OP) do, I'll go 2 days with the same braid.
On wash days = once a week at most, I comb before shampooing, and after, although not always very thoroughly since most of the time my hair isn't completely dry when I braid for the night.

MimiKeki
September 5th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I would usually use my wide-tooth comb to de-tangle every day, but I have LOST it. Can't imagine where I put it :( So I've been reluctantly using a cheap, no doubt damaging, hairbrush... Gah! Where in the world did I put that thing...
But on my wash day, I don't bother brushing, I just fingercomb my hair as it's drying.

torrilin
September 5th, 2010, 05:28 AM
As little as I can stand!

Finger combing while dry seems to be pretty gentle for my hair. My wooden combs are pretty nice to my dry hair. My boar bristle brush is nice for my scalp and soft enough that it doesn't seem to cause damage... but only on dry hair. It can take 24hrs or so for my hair to dry completely.

On wet hair, it feels like everything causes breakage. I'm trying to switch things around so I comb before my shower, and then put my hair up wet with as little handling as possible. My hair doesn't take to most dry styling, so I'm trying to work with what it likes.

Teazel
September 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
It's variable. At most I'll use a wide-toothed comb once a day, but (like the OP) if I'm not going out I often don't detangle for two or three days. I just shake it out and bun it - usually an untwisted or wrapped sort of style. When I do detangle I finger-comb first, then sort of alternate my soft BBB with a horn comb.

Tovah
September 5th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I one of those who washes every day. I comb with a wide toothed comb when I get out of the shower. I either let it dry while it is down if I want a curlier look or put it in a loose ponytail or braid while its wet for a sleeker look. I wear it up all day and finger comb before sleep before I put it in a loose ponytail or braid to sleep.

I stopped brushing all together last year, and that has made a world of difference.

CrisDee
September 5th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I'm one of I guess the lucky few whose hair rarely tangles, even when it's got some length to it - so I brush my hair every chance I get with my Body Shop wood quill brush. I've really fallen in love with it (become addicted to it?) - it feels soooo good on my scalp! I brush more to make my scalp feel good than to do anything to my hair - and my hair is so uber slippery that even if I were trying to restyle my hair with it (or anything else for that matter), it just slips right back where it was before I'm even doing the next brushstroke.

Long_hair_guy
September 5th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Comb whenever I'm doing my hair

Stagecoach
September 5th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I brush and comb in the morning and evening. If I happen to be going somewhere nice during the day, I'll redo my hair which involves another combing and brushing session.

Tiina
September 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I brush once a day, in the morning, as I put it up. If I am going to wear it down, I run my fingers through it once or twice only to adjust since I don't tangle much. On washdays (1-2 times a week) I comb my hair wet as it helps me tame flyaways and frizzies. If my hair is clean but has lint or dust in it I use the BBB (doesn't happen often). So 0 to 3 times a day.

pepperminttea
September 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Usually once or twice a day; in the mornings to put it up, and in the evenings to put it in a sleep braid. If I'm not going out though, I often leave my sleep braid in for a couple of days too.

That said, bit of an exception at the moment; for almost three weeks now I've had mini braids in (holiday with campsite-type facilities), so it hasn't been brushed since I put them in, though it's been getting water-only rinses most mornings in the shower.

Alix
September 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
When it's slathered in conditioner in the shower I finger comb it out. And thats about it. If I need to do some sort of style with it I'll use a wide toothed comb.

SurprisingWoman
September 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I may or may not brush in the morning before bunning. I like to brush at night because it makes my hair slide better, and I love the feel of it slipping across my back. If I wash then I brush before I shampoo and maybe after, maybe not.

I am not a hair fiddler.

suffer-cait
September 5th, 2010, 01:27 PM
i finger comb once every other day-ish. most my damage is from brushing, so i stopped that. and i'm pretty good at getting 98% of tangles out gently by hand.

Henrietta
September 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Comb whenever I'm doing my hair

Me too, which means 1-2 times per day. Brushing usually once a day too, just before going to bed. Or when I want to take pics:D

Phexlyn
September 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I comb (and fingercomb if necessary) twice a day, once in the morning before I put my hair up, and once at night before I put it into my sleep braid. Fingercombing is necessary whenever my hair is more tangled than usual; I use fingercombing to detangle and precomb so it's easier when I actually use my comb afterwards.

I also detangle/comb before a shower if my hair was messy (which basically means it was in my sleep braid ;) ) and sometimes fingercomb while it's covered in conditioner, but only very little. If my hair isn't tangled before I get it wet it usually stays that way all through the process of washing it.

Suze334
September 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I use my tangle teezer at least five times a day.

virgo75
September 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I just realized I detangle A LOT!

*I brush in the a.m. before washing it.
*I fingercomb in the shower with conditioner.
*I brush it after I've added whatever leave-in I'm using for the day.
*I brush it or at least fingercomb it in the evening when I'm adding oil or conditioner before bed.
*Sometimes I'll brush or fingercomb during the day after adding water and/or oil if my hair feels dry.

So, 4-5 times a day.

Aquamarine
September 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I don't brush my hair anymore. Brushing is harsh on my hair and also destroys the "wave":( I don't think I'm patient enough to finger comb, I randomly run my fingers through it though. Not for the sake of detangling but more like for fun.:)

So, I comb my hair using a wide tooth comb. I do it twice a day. The first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. I comb through my hair in the morning and put it into a bun. Every night before I sleep, I comb it again and put it in a sleep braid. So that's it.

growing2shine
September 6th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I, like most, try to comb/brush as little as possible. I wash my hair about once a week and then I fingercomb first, then I comb or brush and then I do SMT. When step out of the shower I comb. But normally I fingercomb/comb my hair every 2nd / 3rd day, and I only use my BBB when I do oiling. :)

summergame
September 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I comb my hair in the morning and in the evening,when I do my evening rituals :-)

Maddy25
September 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I brush my hair whenever it needs it really, I am still quite short though. After a shower I use my wooden comb, but my hair is all bumy feeling which I cant stand, so after its detangled I usually brush it even when wet to make it very smooth. I know I'm not supposed to but it doesnt seem to cause any breakage and I'm very gentle.