PDA

View Full Version : calling those who grew their layers into long hair!

starlights
September 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
calling those who grew their layers into long hair!...

I last proper hair cut was in march 09... i've been growing my apl layered hair, and now its grown just a little past waist.
The hair is healthy with no major breakage or splits, thank goodness.:)

My hairs at waist (& those layers im growing) are now so obvious when i leave my hair down!

i feel part of my hair is long, other parts shorter by half an inch... it just makes me feel annoyed because my hair obviously feels thinner:eyebrows:... has anyone else went through an awkward stage with growing their layers into long hair?

i cant wait until the hairs reach hip (then i promised myself i will finally get it cut -a straight across cut-this way my hair will look thicker )

please offer any words of wisdom about your journey to long hair growing out those pesky layers... im so tempted to cut the whole hair off.... (but i wont!) lol, thank u!! :D

lora410
September 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I grew out mine when I was APL. It wasn't bad just all the stickies that popped out when I put my hair in a bun was annoying. Sometimes I miss them though :)

starlights
September 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I grew out mine when I was APL. It wasn't bad just all the stickies that popped out when I put my hair in a bun was annoying. Sometimes I miss them though :)

i notice ur hair is straight at the back, did you trim it to the same length then later through your growth?:)

Arianwen
September 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi, it's been around 16 months since I got a cut or trim, I think it was shoulder length then (nearing waist now, crazy growth) I had some layering going on, I don't mind it, I kind of like how it looks with my wurly/nutty hair.

starlights
September 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
hmmm am i in the minority , i wonder?

Carolyn
September 4th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I grew from shoulder length with lots of layers to about APL without a trim. At that point I started cutting the longest layer. I would have about an inch cut off the back longest layer every 3-4 months. I eventually grew to about MBL with the layers and let everything catch up. I didn't gain length for a year but I got rid of all the layers except for the bangs. I eventually grew them out too. It was a giant PITA but well worth it. I don't know that I would have been so determined to do it without LHC.

FrizzFighter
September 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I've been growing out bottom layers. The first six months were the worst because my hair looked very thin on the bottom. I had my hair stylist trim only the longest layer until, after a several trims spaced two months apart, it finally met the middle layers, and now I am not doing any trims. So now I have two bottom layers left and once I reach hip length goal, I will trim so it's all even. It takes some patience. Unless you are opposed to all trimming, a micro trim that only skims that longest layer might help, and still leave you with your length.

Brenda714
September 4th, 2010, 07:54 PM
My hair is APL but my layers are a mess starting above my ear, I think this is the worse case of layers I've ever seen, what can I do? I can't wear it up, or in a pony tail. The layers are so choppy everywhere on my head. What would you do besides where it down? I have to curl it to get it to look halfway decent, but stilll don't like it. Does getting length on the bottom seem to help the way it looks? I think that it was I'll do, grow the longest layer to BSL then keep it there to get all the layers catching up. Must take a long time, huh? thanks for reading.

kittensoupnrice
September 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
My last styling was around July 09, I think. I had my hair styled to BSL w/ chin length layers, and over the next few months kept having the layers layered back in w/out decreasing length until I was waist + layers up to my chin. That last cut, I also had her put in a V hemline.

No cuts or trims since then!

FWIW, I kinda like all the different lengths of my hair. The taper is a bit of a nuisance when I'm doing braids, but it's helpful for quite a few of the bun styles. :)

Interestingly enough, since then, I have actually noticed my lengths evening out. Strange, that.

spidermom
September 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I had trims every 6-8 weeks when I was growing out my layers. My stylist would always take a little bit more off the bottom than she did the layers, and in about 2 years it was even at the bottom.

tinti
September 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
My layers are from chin lenght to apl when the rest of my hair is bsl. They are really annoying, but I kind of like them sometimes too. I just don't know how I'm gonna go about growing them into full size. Maybe, if they are longish when I get to hip lenght or TBL I'll cut it into a blunt hemline :)

Sundial
September 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I hate my layers and I'm trying to grow them out too, but I keep swinging between wanting to (a) grow them out to my goal length before starting to trim and (b) trim a little regularly while growing out the layers.

But since my growth is extremely slow, I'm leaning more towards (a). I hate that my hair is out of shape right now, so I try to throw it up into updos more often and avoid looking in the mirror as much as I can.

Wind Dragon
September 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hi starlights, I grew out from a pixie so yeah, lots of awkwardness there, including layers. My thickness tapers off very quickly on its own as well, so by the time it got past APL that bottom layer was reeeeeally thin. As soon as I could get to the ends well enough to trim them myself, I started doing that.

From your pictures, it looks like you had a pretty dramatic V-hemline cut in along with the layers, so that last layer of yours is not only naturally thinning a bit now, it's very narrow compared to the rest of your length, which contributes to the contrast. If you're going to start trimming straight across, I think you'll see dramatic results just from losing the first inch or two.

On the plus side, the V-hem and the layers make anchoring updos much easier than with thicker ends. Happy growing! :flowers:

Juneii
September 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I had hip length hair with layers up to my chin about two years ago. TOOK FOREVER. But now the shortest layer is just past BSL and nearing waist. Before I could put my hair up in a bun (it was too thick and too layered to coil anywhere) I just tied it in a ponytail. Out of sight, out of mind.
Best of luck to you on growing out layers! If you want thicker ends more than length you can slowly trim off the ends until the shorter ends reach the rest of your hair. That's what I did because it was bugging me so much.

starlights
September 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hi guys, what great input!!!

im glad to hear i am not the only one who has struggled a little with layers.... :)

i definately feel my hair would look way better after i have a blunt cut (to get those layers even) however i think i will wait a bit more (until i feel its a good time to do it)

until then i will do alot more updo's so it wont annoy me seeing it down with these silly layers!!! i will never layer my hair ever, never, never ever! ha! :)

Krentje
September 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Same here: shortest layer mouth-length, longest APL/BSL. I am thinking of letting it grow untill december; then trimming back to inch-past-shoulder-length, hoping almost every layer can be included by that time!

Grow layers, grow!

Question: it seems that the hair starting 'around my face' is thinner (and more blond) than the rest of my hair. Does anyone experience the same? I am wondering if that hair will look good when growing out..

2peasinapod
September 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I have layers from growing out a pixie, too. I got a cut once to get rid of the mullet effect and haven't trimmed since. It was really annoying with all little pieces sticking out every which way until I could at least tie the back up.

Now my front layers are around my collarbone, and my ends are a few inches above APL. They blend really well when my hair is down, but I can't do any updos except a ponytail and a messy bun because of the uneven lengths.

I really want my ends to be even, but I don't want to lose any length. I guess I'll wait until my goal of BSL to see if I want to cut them. :(

Krentje, what area is the hair around your face growing from? I think most people have thinner hair in their temples, crown, back of the neck and (for me) sideburns. At any rate, lots of people have different thicknesses (and even textures!) on their head. I'm sure it will look great as it grows and blends into your hair. :)

Krentje
September 6th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Krentje, what area is the hair around your face growing from? I think most people have thinner hair in their temples, crown, back of the neck and (for me) sideburns. At any rate, lots of people have different thicknesses (and even textures!) on their head. I'm sure it will look great as it grows and blends into your hair. :)

It is mainly blonde and thin on the sideburns and some thin hairs are growing from the temple, thank you, 2peasinapod, for the information. I am new on LHC and really... i know so little about hair!