PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Hair Under a Baseball Cap

Haith
May 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have to wear a uniform for my summer job which includes wearing a baseball type cap/hat. I'm going to be working outside for the next three months in super hot weather so I'm going to be sweating under it. I'm worried about breakage from the cap rubbing on my hair which I imagine will be even worse with the sweat making it stick. Do you think that this will cause a lot of damage (or am I just worrying for nothing?), and further more what can I do to keep from damaging my hair this summer?

DecafJane
May 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
I would imagine that the best thing you could do is to not have your hat excessively tight, and try to make sure it doesn't move around much on your head. Apart from that, I don't know, sorry.

Anje
May 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about it much, so long as the hat is a little loose. If you're concerned about the friction, you can probably wear a bandana or buff under the hat, which will also absorb sweat. The sweat won't harm your hair at all, and you can rinse it out with just water on non-wash days.

Haith
May 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
Oh, thank you! :D
I'm sure that it's not going to be the nightmare that I'm imagining. I have to give my hair some credit since it is pretty tough. And the roots can hold up to a lot more than the ends can, I'm sure.

Maybe if I also wear it in a french braid underneath so its fairly secure, instead of wearing it in like a bun or a pony-tail?

Anje
May 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
French braids are good, so are English braids. I think the best thing you can do is vary your styles and try not to always band it in the same place (like a daily pony out the back hole of the hat). I also recommend fat, scrunchie-like ties when you do ponytails, rather than thinner bands, even the supposedly hair-friendly ones. The larger and smoother the band holding your hair, the more its force is distributed, the less sharply hair is kinked; therefore, hair breaks less.

camillacamilla
May 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I agree with the above- just don't have it too tight or move it around a lot. If you are sweating a lot though, considering your age, you might get pimples where the band of the hat will be on your forehead. I would get an extra or two and wash them often.

Ursula
May 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
You don't say how long your hair is. That will make a difference, in terms of wearing a hat comfortably.

Does your employer want all of your hair contained within your hat? That can be tricky, if your hair is long enough.

Probably do a single braid, and run the braid through the space at the back of the hat created by the "adjustment" snaps. This will have your hair contained, and keep the hat securely on your head. That's how I wore a baseball cap when I needed to wear one while working in a deli.

walkinglady
May 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
I spend a great deal of time outdoors and used to wear a ball cap all the time. Unfortunately, I experienced breakage so I switched to a visor. This does not sound like an option for you. If you wear a buff or bandana underneath it may help cut down on the friction. Also, take a look at one of these wraps, it might be worth trying one.

http://www.e4hats.com/_e/dept/56-006/Large_Satin_Wrap.htm

CountessDeJager
May 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM
I've had great luck wearing hats merely for comfort and they have not led to breakage that I was aware of. For baseball caps I have all my hair in the cap resting on my head in a halo. The only problem I get is the rolled hair can start sliding out of the hole in the back if the hat band is too loose. It is the hair rubbing on my back when it creeps out of the hole that is the problem, never the hat itself.

You might find you really like the hat as part of the uniform both for keeping the damaging sun off your hair and also because it keeps those wispies at your face that will never grow any longer from blowing into your eyes.

Haith
May 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Thank you everyone for the great ideas and wisdom!!:joy:

I haven't measured my hair in a while, so I don't know my length exactly but it is almost at waist. Also, my hair doesn't have to be contained in the hat; I can wear it however I want to.

I hadn't even thought about wearing a buff or wrap underneath, but now I'm going to look into getting one. I think this would help for sure, and it may keep me from getting pimples too (camillacamilla, thank you for thinking of that!).

I'm sure that with a little conscious effort and gentle handling, I can get through this summer with minimal damage. And I certainly will appreciate the sun protection that my hat will offer me.